Westworld

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ascendancy
http://www.hbo.com/westworld/about/video/westworld-tease

Anyone else caught wind of any info on the upcoming series?

The_Tempest
Well it has my undivided attention

BruceSkywalker
not sure how i feel about this... will watch the pilot ep and decide from there

Mindset
It'll be great.

Lestov16
Will Yul's ghost cameo? If not, I'm not too interested.

Mindset
Originally posted by Lestov16
Will Yul's ghost cameo? If not, I'm not too interested. He's an android, he doesn't have a soul.

Robtard
Women kissing, I'm in.

Ascendancy
http://www.hbo.com/westworld

It's coming...

Patient_Leech
It looks pretty good, mostly because I trust HBO's stellar production value.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
Women kissing, I'm in. Like anyone's going to buy this coming from you, Roberta.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
It looks pretty good, mostly because I trust HBO's stellar production value.

That and the original film being a childhood favorite of mine. Can't wait.

Decent read on the show:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/westworld/36506/westworld-tv-show-jonathan-nolan-speaks

Flyattractor
....This is going to be a TV show?

Why am I suddenly flashing back to Logan's Run?

Robtard
Aires October 2nd

More background info on the show here <--- clicky

Have high hopes for this.

BruceSkywalker
I am intrigued by this.. will watch the pilot ep and go from there

Surtur
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Well it has my undivided attention

Yyfdcoocex8

jaden101
IuS5huqOND4

Ascendancy
Oct 10th, here we come.

Ascendancy
2nd even

quanchi112
Calm down.

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
IuS5huqOND4

Every subsequent peak/story looks better and better.

quanchi112
Rob is hoping for many dream sequences.

Dreampanther
Damn... Now this was a great pilot. Excellent story-telling, some brilliant casting choices (Ed Harris gave me the chills) and big screen camera work. I didn't really know what to expect but if they continue like this I expect this will become one of the best shows of the season.

Robtard
Yeah, great first episode. Really looking forward to this even more now.

carthage
Yeah it was a great and beautifully shot series for sure. Loved Harris's character the Gunslinger. This one will probably be sticking around for a while

BruceSkywalker
didn't like the pilot ep that much... hoping this will improve

Ascendancy
I liked Harris' character as well, but honestly there was too much going on. Perhaps it's meant to be that way from the start though. I'm guessing this is a limited run one or two season series, but it definitely has potential, and the acting definitely isn't lacking.

jaden101
Really liked that first episode. What's with the symbolism. The western versions of Paint it Black and Black Hole Sun as well the man in black.

So far seems to be everything Wayward Pines could've been.

marwash22
yeah, yeah, very good. I'm definitely into it... but they need to explain what this world actually is, and they need to do it immediately.

i was so confused by the mechanics of it, that i couldn't truly enjoy the episode.

Robtard
Thought it was explained? It's an amusing park for the wealthy to indulge themselves mainly in sex and violence in an old West setting, using androids as the outlet. But you can also takes the kids and do the tame storylines.

marwash22
i get that, but where is the park and where are the scientist/engineering people?

is that miniature thing they're looking at just a sophisticated 3D projection? The way it's shot, it's made to look like the people in the park are shrunken down.

i should watch it again. probably not something i should watch while sleepy.

Robtard
Park seems to be somewhere out West, going by the landscape. Looked like Arizona to me.

I got the impression that the command/tech center is below the park

Yeah, I took it as a hologram of the park used to view what is going on.

Dreampanther

Time-Immemorial
I have watched the first episode 3 times already. People have no idea how good this show is.

carthage
I'm thinking he's definitely some rogue AI or some kind of agent that wants to break the droids free. I was kind of interested as Dr. Ford's character showed that spire at the end of the episode. All and all every episode leaves me wanting to see more of the show, and the production value is amazing.

Robtard
He appears to be human at this point, androids can't harm him, he's said he's been coming to the park for 30 years and the head of security referred to him as a guest. But I could see some spin where he's an android, that they're letting do his thing for a purpose, 'the game'.

Yeah, is Ford introducing religion into the androids?

BruceSkywalker
only watched the first two shows and really not that impressed

ares834
Just watched the first two episodes, this show is shaping up to be fantastic.

Time-Immemorial
thumb up

queeq
Just saw episode three... it feels like it's beginning to wander about already... Hope they up the ante soon.

Time-Immemorial
Not really, the show is great.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by queeq
Just saw episode three... it feels like it's beginning to wander about already... Hope they up the ante soon.

I think I understand why you feel that way. Instead of focusing on just a few story-lines and characters there were so many threads introduced and explored in episode three that it did feel more unfocused than the first two. I think, however, that is simply because we are now being faced with so many changes and paths that it feels overwhelming. Perhaps deliberately that is why Ep 3 is titled "Stray".

So far I love the writing of Westworld and I am confident that it is not going to disappoint even as is continues to evolve.

Time-Immemorial
Panther is the only person that half way gets it.

jaden101

Darth Thor
Really enjoying this so far. Curious to see where it goes from here.

Dreampanther
So, time for an upgrade. And I have a feeling sh!t's about to get real in Westworld pretty damn quick.

Lestov16
Love this show so much. Can't wait to see what Maeve does with her bulk apperception.

carthage
Haven't played the newest episode yet, I need to fix that.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Dreampanther
So, time for an upgrade. And I have a feeling sh!t's about to get real in Westworld pretty damn quick.

Yeah but I wonder how she's gonna use it without going off Story or drawing too much attention to herself.

carthage
I wonder who stopped that one lady in the theater, when she was talking to Bernard/recording the data.

marwash22
lol @ Maeve maxing out her stats like a 2k create a player.

carthage
Legitimately had no idea that Bernard turned out to be a host. There are plenty of interesting new situations going on, this show keeps on with the quality. Maeve is turning out to be one of my new favorite characters.

Dreampanther
Only 3 episodes left! Going to suffer from serious withdrawal symptoms. This show is smart, scary and stunning to watch.

jaden101
Originally posted by carthage
Legitimately had no idea that Bernard turned out to be a host. There are plenty of interesting new situations going on, this show keeps on with the quality. Maeve is turning out to be one of my new favorite characters.

That was some mind boggling fourth wall referencing meta twist. When he says "what door?" I was like....fuuuuuuuck.

Him being unable to see the door and thus the twist reflects the viewer being unable to see it coming as well.

Genius bit of writing.

The Emmys have some contenders this year. Anthony Hopkins, June Law in The Young Pope, Paul Giamatti in Billions.

BruceSkywalker
i'm starting to like this show more and more

Dreampanther

S_W_LeGenD
Decent show so far.

Robtard
That was some mind boggling fourth wall referencing meta twist. When he says "what door?" I was like....fuuuuuuuck.

Him being unable to see the door and thus the twist reflects the viewer being unable to see it coming as well.

Genius bit of writing.

The Emmys have some contenders this year. Anthony Hopkins, June Law in The Young Pope, Paul Giamatti in Billions.

Do you think Bernard was real at some point but was replaced? Ford seems to be doing that with Theresa now and the host he's currently creating. (I'm currently one ep behind, so maybe it's already explained either way)

quanchi112
Robtard is definitely my personal Bernard. Dance, minion dance.

carthage
laughing out loud

quanchi112
Fantastic ending. Looks like no one else cares but this season was really sow thing. The man in black ended up being my favorite character FYI before Bernard jumps in here and tries to mimic me.

Robtard
Quanchi went from not liking anything to do with Westerns to bandwagoning jumping onto this show. Called it.

quanchi112
Quanchi went from not liking anything to do with Westerns to bandwagoning jumping onto this show. Called it. I do not like westerns at all but a great story will shine through no matter the genre. If you don't care for the story like I do I can see why you don't gravitate towards the show. Let it go, guy. There were plenty of characters obsessed which I love since it reminds me of myself. Obsession makes people great, ordinary guy.

queeq
And that's what made you 'Greatest Wizard'?

-K-M-
I may have missed it but who was the host ford was making in the basement? Perhaps a copy of himself so he's not really dead?

quanchi112
Originally posted by queeq
And that's what made you 'Greatest Wizard'? You won't be the greatest at anything without obsession to get you there.

queeq
Now I know who you are.... Donald Trump!

TheVaultDweller
I kind of want to see the samurai world now.

-K-M-
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I kind of want to see the samurai world now.

I hope it's called Eastworld. but SW prob means shogun or samurai world sad

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by -K-M-
I hope it's called Eastworld. but SW prob means shogun or samurai world sad

They've been calling it "Samurai World" in various articles. Samurai World sounds kind of dumb, but I can forgive it if the setting itself is good.

queeq
Originally posted by quanchi112
You won't be the greatest at anything without obsession to get you there.

Ha! He changed his title!

Darth Thor
Wow. This show was all sorts of mind f***s

Can't get enough of it.

Robtard
It only gets better and better, imo. Definitely keep watching. Delores, Bernard, Maeve and Ford all great/layered characters.

Had a great ending too. Do wonder if that's really the last we see of Ford. Was he making an android of himself to join in on the evolutionary step? Maybe he'll come back in Delores' "dreams"? Maybe who we see shot wasn't really him? I doubt that lst one though. Really looking forward to S2.

edit: Armistice (Snake Tattoo Woman) is just lovely

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Premiere+HBO+Westworld+Arrivals+ABp0_mCQPxIl.jpg

Darth Thor
Do wonder if that's really the last we see of Ford.

Doubt it!

Really looking forward to S2.

👍

samhain
Been binge watching this all week. Just finished the last ep. Wow. I'm disappointed that I have no more episodes to watch now, might have to go back & watch the movie. Saw the Bernard thing coming a mile away if I'm honest, but I wasn't expecting the William reveal though, took me by complete surprise!

Stringer
Shit show

Arachnid1
That was some mind boggling fourth wall referencing meta twist. When he says "what door?" I was like....fuuuuuuuck. Got around to watching this. This was by far the best twist in the season. It was done so damn well. My jaw dropped when he said that lol.

William being the MIB was also another great twist that caught me by surprise. It redeemed his character too. He bored the hell out of me, and I preferred his dickhead friend as a character by far before this happened. MIB was probably my favorite character too.

I've got to say though, the Chinese "surgeon" dude and his buddy were fking idiots. Their characters made no sense, and constantly made stupid decisions. It reminded me of the "scientists" from Prometheus in how damn stupid they were. They took me out of it every time they came on.

Patient_Leech
Just started watching this show with my wife. Only 2 episodes in, and it's an incredible production as always with HBO. I can't say I'm particularly attached to any characters or even to the story yet. BUT I think I'm still intrigued enough to keep watching. Right now I think I admire the show more than I'm enjoying it. But we'll see where it goes...

I only have vague memories of the old Michael Crichton movie.

Robtard
Just started watching this show with my wife. Only 2 episodes in, and it's an incredible production as always with HBO. I can't say I'm particularly attached to any characters or even to the story yet. BUT I think I'm still intrigued enough to keep watching. Right now I think I admire the show more than I'm enjoying it. But we'll see where it goes...

I only have vague memories of the old Michael Crichton movie.

It improves as it progresses, so you're in good hands. Avoid any spoilers, there's a few 'oh shit' moments you definitely don't want spoiled.

Patient_Leech
Avoid any spoilers, there's a few 'oh shit' moments you definitely don't want spoiled.

Good to know. thumb up

carthage
Maeve had them by the balls because she would've killed them without a seconds notice, it's their fault mainly because the Chinese guy felt sympathy for her but they were clearly past the point of no return once she became aware. So at lead part of what became of their mistake was unavoidable

Arachnid1
Originally posted by carthage
Maeve had them by the balls because she would've killed them without a seconds notice, it's their fault mainly because the Chinese guy felt sympathy for her but they were clearly past the point of no return once she became aware. So at lead part of what became of their mistake was unavoidable There was no point of no return. Every time she was killed, she was unconscious for long enough to wake up on the table with the same two idiots. Any one of them could have just reported her and she would have been put down. They could have tied her up while she was unconscious and lobotomized her. There were a hundred ways she could have been dealt with. Their characters choices just made no sense

Patient_Leech
It improves as it progresses, so you're in good hands.

Yeah, 5 episodes in now, halfway through, and it's gradually gotten more interesting.

I love the intro sequence to the show. Might even be better than GoT.

Dreampanther
Billy Crystal in Westworld

rMFWmvRVSGc

cdtm
This is the show Caprica should have been.

carthage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFM3V_dors

Human beings=target practice

S_W_LeGenD
This show have its merits but not even close to being a substitute for GoT.

I watch this show because of the movie whose premise I found interesting. Dr. Ford's suicide was puzzling and felt unnecessary.

Robtard
For all we know that was an android of Dr. Ford who killed itself.

Patient_Leech
Dis mite b a trail-uh for seas-un 2...

qSFZW5efo6M

Dreampanther
Dis mite b a trail-uh for seas-un 2...

I refuse to watch it: I'm going to try and avoid anything about the show until I get to watch it for myself. I loved Season 1 so much that I can't wait to discover what they do in Season 2.

jaden101
HkyMsoF4Evw

Darth Thor
April?

Is it just me or is this thing taking a really long time to return.

jaden101
Originally posted by Darth Thor
April?

Is it just me or is this thing taking a really long time to return.

Hopefully worth the wait.

Robtard
Only about two months, not that bad. Also, can't ****ing wait, loved the first Season once it got going.

Patient_Leech
New trailer is awesome. I love the classical rendition of "Heart-Shaped Box."

sjVqDg32_8s

samhain
^The music throughout the whole of season 1 was awesome as well.

Robtard
Only three weeks now, can't wait. Wish it was on Netflix where we could power-watch multiple eps once. Shogun World, here we come.

Also starting to think that more of the company people are actually robots who think they're people, like Bernard.

Darth Thor
That trailer looks really good.

I know I Loved the first season, but cant really remember how much, because theyve made us wait so damn long for the 2nd season.

Patient_Leech
Only three weeks now, can't wait. Wish it was on Netflix where we could power-watch multiple eps once.

Yeah, I'm hoping that becomes the new norm. I love it. I don't even know how people "tune in" to shows weekly. That shit's annoying. And I never did DVR or anything.

Dreampanther

samhain
Little bit disappointed I have to wait a week until episode 2 now!

carthage
Poor Bernard seemed lost the whole episode
Great intro though and I expect nothing but greatness from the follow up episodes

Robtard
Rather slow first two eps, which is fine overall as season one took the first 1-3 eps to slowly build and then deliver greatness.

Evan Rachel Wood looked amazing in the city (New York?) scene, in that dark blue dress.

samhain
Yeah, quite slow but still riveting. Delores' comments at the end of the ep has set things up nicely for the season I think.

Dreampanther
This show is getting better with every episode.

cdtm
Am I crazy for liking the black hat bastard?

samhain
Not at all.

samhain
You mean Ed Harris or the gunslinging French sounding guy? Doesn't really matter I suppose, they're both good characters.

Dreampanther
I'm enjoying Westworld, but I also find this season to be a bit more character-driven rather than plot-driven. This, however, is not necessarily a bad thing, imo, as I find the characters' growth fascinating. It does mean not every episode will have the same pace, though, this week's episode being a case in point, as it focused a lot on Thandie Newton's character, Maeve.

Robtard
Seems like they're going with the park being a veil for the real mission, making the rich/powerful effectively immortal.

samhain
This could sort of be a prequel to Altered Carbon in that respect. smart

Dreampanther
I'm a sucker for good storytelling and the Kiksuya episode of Westworld is a brilliant example of exactly that: Good storytelling. Don't think I've seen an episode of any other series recently that so perfectly and beautifully tells a tale.

Robtard
Agreed, really like that one.

carthage
I love how Maeve wasn't the only character becoming aware of the false reality of the place. Other than Legion this has been one of my favorite complex shows this year

Patient_Leech
3 episodes into Season 2 now and I still find the storytelling methods of this show to be unnecessarily frustrating and irritating. I can't help but think how much more I would enjoy the show if it all just played out in a linear fashion. Also there's a great deal of disbelief suspension required to really enjoy it.

But surprisingly, it's still highly enjoyable. It seems Season 2 is shaping up to be better than the first...

Arachnid1
The second season was absolute ass. Too bad. Season 1 was actually solid.

samhain
^Agreed, on the whole not as good as the first season but probably deserves a 2nd watch, likely pick up something I missed first time around, it's one of those shows after all.

jaden_2.0
64CYajemh6E

Seems this got lost in the hype of a million other Comic Con trailers. Hoping they don't try and bite off more than they can chew and end up with another garbled mess that was S2.

BruceSkywalker
saw the trailer yesterday.. i liked it and looking forward to the 3rd season

Putinbot1
What happened to this show?

Putinbot1
Season 3 is actually really good so far.

jaden_2.0
Finally got to the end of season 3 after binge watching the last 4 episodes. I think that actually might be the key to getting more out of this show. Binge watching.

The visuals, the portrayal of future technologies, the acting...all absolutely top drawer stuff. The plot ended up less convoluted than I thought so that was good. Suffered from some cheesy dialogue in the final episode. Started to get a bit tedious with Dolores and Maeve constantly coming back from the dead. (Like...worse than Rise of Skywalker)

Surtur
I had not watched a single episode of this show until recently. Then in quick succession I watched seasons 1 and 2. Really liked season 1. Season 2 was...it wasn't as good, but it wasn't merely just average either. This third season though...I dunno, I haven't made it past the 2nd episode.

jaden_2.0
You definitely need to stick with it. I stopped halfway through so 4 and never went back until yesterday. Definitely improves but you can't get distracted while watching it or you'll lose what's going on.

As much as I didn't like most of s2 the episode Kiksuya was one of the best single episodes I've ever seen.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by Surtur
I had not watched a single episode of this show until recently. Then in quick succession I watched seasons 1 and 2. Really liked season 1. Season 2 was...it wasn't as good, but it wasn't merely just average either. This third season though...I dunno, I haven't made it past the 2nd episode. Season 3 is great. Give it a chance, it's a big sea change.

jaden_2.0
_-0MwZPWKD4

Robtard
Going to watch as I'm invested, but it's gone down hill since season 1.

Maybe the twist will be that everyone's a robot now.

cdtm

Ripping off Ronald D. Moore.

jaden_2.0

They bit off more than they could chew with s2 but s3 was tremendous.

Robtard
Found 3 to be a bit overly convoluted for its own good.

Going to need to watch a recap of 3 before 4 starts, as I've forgotten most of it.

cdtm
It's not worth it.

Battlestar Galactica 2004 had almost the same concept but better.

BruceSkywalker
looking forward to watching this as I hope this season will be a little better than season 3

Patient_Leech
I really liked the production design on this show, but kind of lost interest, too convoluted and too dry or something, not sure how to describe. Only saw through S2.

And Evan Rachel Wood is the next Amber Heard, so just more reason not to watch.

BruceSkywalker
watched 4th season opener

coulda been a little better

not sure about evan rachel wood's storyline yet

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
watched 4th season opener

coulda been a little better

not sure about evan rachel wood's storyline yet Agree 100% Bruce, was not good.

jaden_2.0
Seems like they're maybe toning down the convolutedness of it. Reactions to s2 and s3 may have sunk in. Hopefully.

It's something that really needs to be binge watched in order to keep up with all the plots and timelines which is why I find it odd they release it weekly.

Old Man Whirly!
I really enjoyed episode 2 season 4.

Even so, give me Yul Brenner.

BruceSkywalker
episode 2 wasn't bad

Robtard
Guessing Dolores is in some type of matrix-like world and her subconscious shapes that reality? But with this show, who knows.

Patient_Leech
And in said alternate reality Dolores can go f#*k herself.

BruceSkywalker
i liked the first season.. 2nd season was a step back but i liked a few things. 3rd i really didn't like much.

after the first 4 episodes of season 4 i can say that so far i like some things and i hate some.

Robtard
Is current Bernard another Dolores copy?

Is everyone ****ing Dolores?

BruceSkywalker
Is current Bernard another Dolores copy?

Is everyone ****ing Dolores?

my guess is prolly so

jaden_2.0
So by episode 5 it's becoming very Matrix-y.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
So by episode 5 it's becoming very Matrix-y. very... I like the concept of we are now the plaything for the hosts, I also like the outlier induced insanity

BruceSkywalker
ok, finally finished this season earlier..

i did like some of the episodes but as a whole i was somewhat disappointed, however the season finale err series finale was good.

jaden_2.0
Yeah it was a bit bland and anticlimactic. I'm getting pretty tired of hosts being "killed" but not being killed. How many times are we going to see Hale, William, Maeve and Bernard being killed only to be brought back back sometimes within the same episode?

Patient_Leech
This was cancelled. Good. F#ck you, ERW.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.