Woman says court forced her into religious parenting classes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55f9ca84e4b08820d9171759

She refused to attend, and her kids were taken away until she complied.
She should have just sucked it up, IMO.
She didnt have to convert or anything. Just smile and nod, check the box, and go about her business.
Odd time to take the moral high ground, with her kids at stake.
Agree, disagree?

Surtur
I agree and disagree. For this specific woman yes shutting up and going along with it probably would of served best. BUT it also sets a precedent. I don't like religion being forced on anyone and this is what it sounds like. She had to complete these classes, and the woman running the classes took a religious approach. Which more or less sounds like saying she had to embrace religious attitudes in order to get her kids back.

Don't get me wrong I think people SHOULD have to go to parenting classes, as a mandatory thing before they even pop out a damn child, but I don't think said classes should be religious.

riv6672
I dont think they should be either, but i cant assume the judge knew about the class' religious minded instructor.
The right move might have been to request a different class, if it was that big a deal to her.
The article makes it seem like she didnt try that. Now, if she did thats a whole different thing.

long pig
It was wrong. She should have stfu, tho. But of course, as an entitled broad she had run around vomiting up her thoughts.

No one cares. Do what you have to do to get your kids.

Bentley
Abandon your kids but follow Jesus. Obvious choice.

Surtur
Originally posted by riv6672
I dont think they should be either, but i cant assume the judge knew about the class' religious minded instructor.
The right move might have been to request a different class, if it was that big a deal to her.
The article makes it seem like she didnt try that. Now, if she did thats a whole different thing.

I don't think she'd have the option to switch a court ordered class. For this woman personally shutting up would of been a good thing, but overall it sets a bad example.

On the other hand there is a chance she could indeed just be doing this for her 15 minutes of fame. Being a victim is "in" right now.

riv6672
So i'm not the only advocate of her just tsking the class and moving on. Good, i thought that might not be the popular choice.

Q99
Originally posted by riv6672
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55f9ca84e4b08820d9171759

She refused to attend, and her kids were taken away until she complied.
She should have just sucked it up, IMO.
She didnt have to convert or anything. Just smile and nod, check the box, and go about her business.
Odd time to take the moral high ground, with her kids at stake.
Agree, disagree?

The state requiring someone to take a religious course is blatantly unconstitutional.

While there'd be pragmatic reason not to, she was rather clearly in the right.

riv6672
Right, yes, but, when (as a parent) i think of things parents sacrifice for their kids, sitting through a class you dont agree with ranks ranks pretty low.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.