Was the PSP a commercial success?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
As of today, the still-strong 3DS has not outsold the PSP like it's predecessor's before it.

It's pretty clear to anyone who can see that the games on the PSP were all big Triple AAA games, it had massive third-party support, tons of awesome Final Fantasy games, Phantasy Star Portable, Monster Hunter, God of War, Assassin's Creed.

Tons of people wanted to take advantage of this awesome handheld and use it to it's full extent.

So, in your eyes, did the PSP do well enough to consider it a commercial success?

Jmanghan
As a sidenote, I do think the 3DS will outsell the PSP at some point, but as of today, it still has a long way to go.

Jesus McBurger
Let's not forget Daxter

Bentley
It's a success just like the Wii U.

Shoots fired!

Jesus McBurger
Originally posted by Bentley
It's a success just like the Wii U.

Shoots fired!
Only got it for super smash bros

Adam Grimes
Pokemon >

-Pr-
One of the things the PSP had, that I think made it so attractive, was the fact that you could play PSOne Classics on it. My brother bought one just for that.

Jesus McBurger
Medievil

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Pokemon > That and the Super Mario 64 DS remake.

Jmanghan
Not to mention, it has the best version of Final Fantasy IV.

Also, arguably the best story-based Final Fantasy game.

Smasandian
Yes, the PSP is a success. It sold 80 million copies but it was destroyed by the DS.

Which is funny because I distinctly remember the debate people had regarding the DS vs PSP arguement when they were announced.

But comparing it sometime like the 3DS and how much it sold is not a good comparison. When the PSP and DS were released, the Iphone was still two years away and that has basically whittle away any casual gamers who might have bought a 3DS. It's pretty unfair.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yes, the PSP is a success. It sold 80 million copies but it was destroyed by the DS.

Which is funny because I distinctly remember the debate people had regarding the DS vs PSP arguement when they were announced.

But comparing it sometime like the 3DS and how much it sold is not a good comparison. When the PSP and DS were released, the Iphone was still two years away and that has basically whittle away any casual gamers who might have bought a 3DS. It's pretty unfair. Like I said, I do believe it will outsell the PSP at some point, but as of now, that goal is FAR off.

On top of that, the PS Vita will never ever catch up to it's older brother.

StyleTime

But comparing it sometime like the 3DS and how much it sold is not a good comparison. When the PSP and DS were released, the Iphone was still two years away and that has basically whittle away any casual gamers who might have bought a 3DS. It's pretty unfair.
thumb up

Indeed. The PSP was clearly a success, but the 3DS came out 11 years later. They simply never competed with each other. The 3DS is better compared to the PSVita, which it is outselling.

The DS, PSP's actual competitor, completely dominated everything, including its brother the Wii. It was a titan saleswise.

Phones will kill off the handheld market eventually though.

Smasandian
Probably.

But I do think mobile gaming will crash sooner or later. There is plenty of issues that regular games went through in the 80's that mobile game companies are coming across. Massive amounts of shitty quality games create overabundance of choice for consumers and the good companies that create quality content could close down from the lack of sales.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by StyleTime
thumb up

Indeed. The PSP was clearly a success, but the 3DS came out 11 years later. They simply never competed with each other. The 3DS is better compared to the PSVita, which it is outselling.

The DS, PSP's actual competitor, completely dominated everything, including its brother the Wii. It was a titan saleswise.

Phones will kill off the handheld market eventually though. You seem to forget people don't exactly buy smartphones for games :/

Smasandian
That's the point.

They need a phone anyways so it makes sense to use that phone as a gaming device rather than pay $300 plus $40-50 dollars per game for a separate handheld.

Jmanghan
That's the point.

They need a phone anyways so it makes sense to use that phone as a gaming device rather than pay $300 plus $40-50 dollars per game for a separate handheld. I don't use my smartphone for games.

It's safe to assume that a large majority of people buy their phones just to have a phone.

Smasandian
That's bullshit.

They buy it for multiple reasons and one of those reasons are games and apps.

Why did both the 3DS and Vita sell less than their predecessors? It's because of mobile gaming.

You might not use your phone for games but millions of people do. Why do you think you see mobile game publishers creating commericals with expensive stars and putting it on a Super Bowl broadcast, the most expensive ad buy you can possibly pay for. It's because mobile games are ****ing huge.

Jmanghan
That's bullshit.

They buy it for multiple reasons and one of those reasons are games and apps.

Why did both the 3DS and Vita sell less than their predecessors? It's because of mobile gaming.

You might not use your phone for games but millions of people do. Why do you think you see mobile game publishers creating commericals with expensive stars and putting it on a Super Bowl broadcast, the most expensive ad buy you can possibly pay for. It's because mobile games are ****ing huge. Can't deny that. But "millions of people" isn't really comparative to everybody who has a phone. Which is just about everyone on Earth who can afford it.

Scribble
Most people I know play games on their phone, just saying.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Can't deny that. But "millions of people" isn't really comparative to everybody who has a phone. Which is just about everyone on Earth who can afford it.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make. Your idea that not everybody uses their cellphone for games. Who cares. Nobody argued that.

My point is that the handheld gaming devices are being whittled away by mobile games on cellphones is true.

Even if 50% of the users use the cellphones for contacting people, that would still mean over a billion devices are being used to play some sort of game.

Bentley
Probably.

But I do think mobile gaming will crash sooner or later. There is plenty of issues that regular games went through in the 80's that mobile game companies are coming across. Massive amounts of shitty quality games create overabundance of choice for consumers and the good companies that create quality content could close down from the lack of sales.

Yes, console gaming came to be precisely because of overabundance of cheap games. Quality releases want to exist in a more controlled market, like the iron-fist grasp of Nintendo back in the NES days. It was a warranty of quality that helped the industry to mature (it was shock treatment, but it worked).

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Scribble
Most people I know play games on their phone, just saying. How on earth is that relevant to the majority of the world?

AsbestosFlaygon
^
Let's be realistic, man. People with smartphones or tablets nowadays DO play games with their phones/tablets. Everyone I know has at least 1 game installed on their smartphone or tablet. This is an undeniable fact -- Mobile game apps will eventually abolish mobile game consoles. In fact, it will also affect (if not already) not only mobile game consoles, but home consoles as well (like PS4 and XBone).

As to the question: Yes, the PSP was indeed a commercial success. I like how easy it was to hack and port PSX ROMS and custom firmwares, as well as the ability to run multiple game emulators. The custom homebrew apps scene was also quite huge back in its heyday.

Smasandian
I don't believe mobile gaming will overtake consoles. Mobile games are about casual gaming and convenience. Console gaming is for the experience which cannot be satiated by mobile games. As well, as I said before, mobile games will probably suffer some sort of crash in the future because most of the games are ****ing garbage.

I think people are happy spending $500 or less for a console but the experience differs than handhelds. I also don't agree that cellphones will ever come near the tech specs that consoles/PC can offer so I don't see consoles being replaced by it. Handhelds are the other hand was always being the experience of taking games on the road but mostly offered smaller experiences then what console games had. Because of this, handhelds and mobiles games offer the same thing and it's much cheaper to play a $5 dollar game on a cellphone that you already needed than paying for a cellphone and $300 handheld for the sake of being able to play outside of your couch or chair.

Jmanghan
I don't believe mobile gaming will overtake consoles. Mobile games are about casual gaming and convenience. Console gaming is for the experience which cannot be satiated by mobile games. As well, as I said before, mobile games will probably suffer some sort of crash in the future because most of the games are ****ing garbage.

I think people are happy spending $500 or less for a console but the experience differs than handhelds. I also don't agree that cellphones will ever come near the tech specs that consoles/PC can offer so I don't see consoles being replaced by it. Handhelds are the other hand was always being the experience of taking games on the road but mostly offered smaller experiences then what console games had. Because of this, handhelds and mobiles games offer the same thing and it's much cheaper to play a $5 dollar game on a cellphone that you already needed than paying for a cellphone and $300 handheld for the sake of being able to play outside of your couch or chair. Modern Combat on Smartphones isn't a casual game.

It even looks better then Killzone: Mercenary on the Vita, which is the most blatantly powerful handheld to date.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Modern Combat on Smartphones isn't a casual game.

It even looks better then Killzone: Mercenary on the Vita, which is the most blatantly powerful handheld to date.

I think you said it best "How on earth is that relevant to the majority of the world?"

So one game might be more than casual (and there is others as well but most are ports from PC and console games) but the majority are considered casual.

And in the end, I have no ****ing clue what you are arguing aside. Is it that handhelds are still viable (from your arguement that not everybody uses a phone for games) or that mobile games can be hardcore (from your comment about Modern Combat)

And Modern Combat is not in the same league as regular handheld experience.

Jmanghan
I think you said it best "How on earth is that relevant to the majority of the world?"

So one game might be more than casual (and there is others as well but most are ports from PC and console games) but the majority are considered casual.

And in the end, I have no ****ing clue what you are arguing aside. Is it that handhelds are still viable (from your arguement that not everybody uses a phone for games) or that mobile games can be hardcore (from your comment about Modern Combat)

And Modern Combat is not in the same league as regular handheld experience. Tell that to ReviewTechUSA :/

Anyway, I'm not arguing for any specific side, I'm making valid points.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.