Jessica Jones

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Wi2hbejO75s

TheVaultDweller
After Daredevil, I am really keen for this. Pity they are having such problems with Iron Fist. Reportedly they are having troubles nailing down the story and casting Danny, and some rumours even suggest that they might scrap it, and rumours of a Moon Knight series to replace it have popped up as well. How much of this is fact and how much is rumour I don't know. Would suck if it was true though. I like Iron Fist but don't care that much for Moon Knight.

Dreampanther
Depending on the writers, Moon Knight could be absolutely awesome. He's basically a psychopathic Batman with no compunction about killing, which makes him interesting. For me, anyway.

BruceSkywalker
will be watching

ares834
Full trailer:

nWHUjuJ8zxE

Okay, this looks awesome.

KingD19
Iron Fist would be awesome, Adam then cameo Terry Crews as Luke Cage and give him his own show which would let them do Heroes For Hire later.

wakkawakkawakka
Isn't Mike Colter the one actually playing Luke though?

ares834
Yep.

KingD19
Crews woulda been so much better

http://www.courtneyluv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Terry-Crews-Shirtless-Leather-Jacket.jpg

BruceSkywalker
what's the actual date for this because I need to re up with Netflix

TheVaultDweller
Based on the trailer, 20th November. It looks decent. Will definitely be watching it.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Based on the trailer, 20th November. It looks decent. Will definitely be watching it.

thanks ... yes this looks really good

TheVaultDweller
2nd trailer

s3UYWK2jeX0

ares834
Holy shit Lester! But he retired from police work...

Anyway, decent trailer. Though nowhere near as good as the first. Still, I'm looking forward to this.

Dreampanther
Just two more days! Who else is binge watching this weekend?

Inhuman
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Who else is binge watching this weekend?

Hope I have time to

KingD19
I've gotta go to an out of town thing, but I'll probably catch a few episodes on my laptop.

Darth Thor
Will probably only get through first couple of episodes this weekend.

Don't have time to binge.

BruceSkywalker
Just two more days! Who else is binge watching this weekend?

I can't.. too much college football on followed by pro football

Dreampanther
Finally! The wait is over - let the awesomeness begin...

KingD19
Kilgrave is a sick puppy, and they got the perfect guy to play him. David Tennant

Henry_Pym
Just finished the marathon binge (~13 hours straight)... Definitely a step down from DD. Even AoS is better, I'd say it's ok, but I'm not very hype for Luke Cage now... Damn

Digi
One episode in. Promising start. Krysten Ritter is about 12 different kinds of hot in the show.

ares834
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Just finished the marathon binge (~13 hours straight)... Definitely a step down from DD. Even AoS is better, I'd say it's ok, but I'm not very hype for Luke Cage now... Damn

Yikes.

Dreampanther
Three episodes. So far- excellent. They warned us it wasn't going to be like Daredevil and I think most people who expected a female Daredevil show is going to be disappointed. David Tennant is eerily creepy, Cage is strutting and Jessica is moody, volatile and capable.

So far I'm loving this show for all the right reasons. No, it's not Daredevil. You are actually going to have to like this show for what it is, rather than what it's not.

Tzeentch
Convo is cool so far, but pls remember to use spoiler tags m8s.

Surtur
This could be because I'm on vicodin right now but am I the only one who when they have a really upclose shot of Jessica's face just gets this Michael Jackson vibe? Like she looks like him when he was at his most feminine and white, like when his nose was disappearing and all that. Am I crazy?

KingD19
Well I finished it. I enjoyed it immensely, especially the cameo from Rosario Dawson/Night Nurse from Daredevil.

It seems Luke's power levels are around his original creation as he's a lot more grounded than he's been in years. No idea if that's to make Jess look a little better, or if it's an homage to his humble(in comparison) origins or because of budget. It worked for the setting, I just hope we get more awesomeness out of him when Hero for Hire starts. Like in the comics he got shot in the hand with a .357 revolver and he said it felt like it almost tore his hand off. In the show, he gets a shotgun blast point blank to the chin and it knocks him out for some hours, and almost killed him due to internal shit they couldn't handle since they couldn't open him up traditionally.

Tennant did an amazing job as Zebediah. I wonder since we actually saw him turning purple during the finale, if he gets comic Purple Man's ability to cheat death. He already did it once with help, maybe now that he's a lot stronger he'll just heal and come back later.

dadudemon
Show is enjoyable, so far. I'm on the second episode.

wakkawakkawakka
The show is pretty good so far.I will say that for all of the sex this show had I'm disappointed about the lack of boobies in them. Also I'm not sure whether it was due to budget or appealing to older source matter but Luke and Jessica appeared to be a tad underwhelming as far as their respective superpowers were concerned. David Tennants probably the best thing about the show so far.

KingD19
Luke did state he could lift a car, and Jessica lifted the back end of one with one hand. Luke is definitely closer to his original days though, while I think to add more noire to it Jess got bumped down too. Maybe he'll get more buff in his own series and she'll get some more impressive feats as well.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
The show is pretty good so far.I will say that for all of the sex this show had I'm disappointed about the lack of boobies in them. Also I'm not sure whether it was due to budget or appealing to older source matter but Luke and Jessica appeared to be a tad underwhelming as far as their respective superpowers were concerned. David Tennants probably the best thing about the show so far. there was quite a bit of side boob with Trish's.

Digi
Haven't finished it, but gtfo with comparisons to AoS. It's apples and oranges. Any comparison creates a false impression of both. They're just completely different approaches/shows.

It can be a little slow at times. It really forces you to notice how hard it is for writers to keep our attention for long periods of time without relying on a ton of action sequences. That the show does in fact manage to hold my attention most of the time is no small feat. But there are brief lapses.

ares834
Just finished it. Gotta say I really enjoyed it, I thought it was even better than Daredevil.

The Nuul
I know this isn't DD, it's a different genre, I watched 3 eps and found it unwatchable imo. It's too meh, slow and boring. There's not enough thrilling going on.

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
there was quite a bit of side boob with Trish's.
The boobies to sex scene ratio was not satisfactory IMO.

With that said I finished the show and still think it was pretty cool. I do think I might have enjoyed it more had it not been hyped up as much before its premiere. I will say that after watching this and DD that it irritates me how AoS turned out to be: I know the show got better but considering all 3 share the same universe you have to admit that its a bit of a letdown going back to that after watching the Netflix series. As for the show itself, I hope that Jessica and Luke get better feats in the future as I still feel that they, well moreso Jessica, were having trouble with things that they could otherwise handle solidly.

Surtur
Just the way Jessica defeated Luke with the shotgun made no sense.

ares834
Should probably spoiler tag that...

BruceSkywalker
6 episodes in.. series is decent, could be better. don't see the appeal for david tenant though

KingD19
Originally posted by Surtur
Just the way Jessica defeated Luke with the shotgun made no sense.

Since the cat is out of the bag, it actually did. In his original days, just catching a magnum revolver bullet hurt like shit and he said it felt like it nearly ripped his hand off as well as leaving a bruise. And Luke said "an experiment" gave him his powers, which means he's only had the original one in prison. He gets several on panel boosts through the years. So at the time I'm guessing he's around his original Power Man/Tiara levels and getting a 12 gauge to the chin would definitely put him down.

KingD19
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
6 episodes in.. series is decent, could be better. don't see the appeal for david tenant though

He plays a damn good Purple Man. He's all the creepy in the comics brought to life.

Dreampanther
Watched all 13 episodes and definitely one of the best shows I've seen. Not quite my taste - I prefer a bit more humour and action, Daredevil style, but the story was gritty and realistic, the characters plausible and and likeable, the whole feel of the world they lived in was believable.

Special mention goes to David Tennant who played the bad guy you love to hate. Cage and Jones had decent chemistry - Defenders is shaping up to be the show worth waiting for.

Arachnid1
Watched all 13 episodes and definitely one of the best shows I've seen. Not quite my taste - I prefer a bit more humour and action, Daredevil style, but the story was gritty and realistic, the characters plausible and and likeable, the whole feel of the world they lived in was believable.

Special mention goes to David Tennant who played the bad guy you love to hate. Cage and Jones had decent chemistry - Defenders is shaping up to be the show worth waiting for. Wait, David Tennant is Kilgrave? I'm two episodes in so far and I have yet to see him. My hype has at least doubled knowing he's what all the build up is for.

Digi
This could be because I'm on vicodin right now but am I the only one who when they have a really upclose shot of Jessica's face just gets this Michael Jackson vibe? Like she looks like him when he was at his most feminine and white, like when his nose was disappearing and all that. Am I crazy?

You have no idea how much I hate you for this comment. I went from seeing Ritter as super hot to warring with my boner over seeing MJ every now and then.

You're absolutely right. Now keep yer goddamn insights to yourself from now on.

mad

Originally posted by Arachnid1
Wait, David Tennant is Kilgrave? I'm two episodes in so far and I have yet to see him. My hype has at least doubled knowing he's what all the build up is for.

This is awesome. For those who didn't know beforehand, imagine seeing his face for the first time whenever it is that it happens (Ep. 3 or 4). I wish I hadn't known it was him now. I would've flipped the **** out when I realized it.

MF DELPH
I really enjoyed it. It was more of a suspense/thriller than an action crime drama. Comparing it to Daredevil is like comparing Se7en to Enter the Dragon or Oldboy. And I'll echo the praise of Tennant as Purple Man as well. Just a really well done show.

Wei Phoenix
So I'm trying to watch this with my niece but there were a few sex scenes in the first episode. I can't let her watch these scenes, but I don't want to skip through half of the show with her. How frequent are the sex scenes after the first episode? Kissing/making out is fine.

MF DELPH
There's about 5-8 total. It's not gratuitous.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
So I'm trying to watch this with my niece but there were a few sex scenes in the first episode. I can't let her watch these scenes, but I don't want to skip through half of the show with her. How frequent are the sex scenes after the first episode? Kissing/making out is fine.

If she's not old enough to watch sex scenes she's not old enough to watch this series. Consenting sex between adults is the mildest and lightest of the many adult topics covered as the show progress.

Wei Phoenix
If she's not old enough to watch sex scenes she's not old enough to watch this series. Consenting sex between adults is the mildest and lightest of the many adult topics covered as the show progress.

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the answers. I'm the uncle so I don't make the rules with what she can and can't see, but imo she's old enough to understand.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Digi
You have no idea how much I hate you for this comment. I went from seeing Ritter as super hot to warring with my boner over seeing MJ every now and then.

You're absolutely right. Now keep yer goddamn insights to yourself from now on.

mad

Couple of things:

1. I saw MJ at certain times, too. I just didn't post it. Some thoughts...should just not be posted.

2. She looks very similar to a girl I dated about 10 years ago. And now I'm thinking I have an ex that looks like MJ. hmm I think this feeling I have is disgust. hmm

Disgusted that I didn't hit that after realizing she looked like MJ! awesome

Surtur
I also felt the show missed a good opportunity to follow a more interesting storyline. Jessica trying to turn Kilgrave good was actually a lot more interesting then what she ended up doing with him.

Originally posted by KingD19
Since the cat is out of the bag, it actually did. In his original days, just catching a magnum revolver bullet hurt like shit and he said it felt like it nearly ripped his hand off as well as leaving a bruise. And Luke said "an experiment" gave him his powers, which means he's only had the original one in prison. He gets several on panel boosts through the years. So at the time I'm guessing he's around his original Power Man/Tiara levels and getting a 12 gauge to the chin would definitely put him down.

Given what else he survived no the shotgun doesn't make any sense. If the bar explosion didn't KO him then the shotgun shouldn't of.

80sBaby
I also felt the show missed a good opportunity to follow a more interesting storyline. Jessica trying to turn Kilgrave good was actually a lot more interesting then what she ended up doing with him.

I was also very interested in this possible development. One of the best things about Tennant's performance is that there are times when you really feel for the guy, despite yourself. Like, had he only been shown what being "good" was, how different might he have turned out? Then again, he's an adult and ultimately makes his own decisions so does he really deserve a chance at redemption now?

An explosion, where damage is more widespread, and a shotgun blast directly aimed at his head are a bit different, I think. Not a physics whiz or anything but I believe that was what they were going for.

MF DELPH
Pretty much. A point blank shotgun blast to the chin cause him to be concussed. It was like a very powerful uppercut.

Surtur
So the other thing would not cause him to be concussed?

KingD19
Also keep in mind In the comics, multiple times a powerful attack that hasn't managed to penetrate Cage's skin, has left him badly injured and medical types had to be creative to help him since they couldn't get inside his body with normal means. A 12g shotgun blast point blank to the chin probably scrambled his brains, that's why they had to drain the fluid and the swelling.

80sBaby

Apparently not. Again, one was a widespread blast while the other was concentrated on his head. Even if it's not completely accurate to how it'd go in "real life," it's enough to suspend disbelief imo.

MF DELPH

The explosion was moreso a gas fire with a strong flashover which blew the windows out of the bar (Cage mentioned having stood there in the gas for hours waiting on Jessica per Kilgrave's command). As was mentioned before, the force of the explosion was not focused directly on Cage and was distributed throughout the bar. The shotgun blast, on the other hand, was a compact high velocity blow directly to his head from close range. The force of the explosion was distributed over more area of his steel hard skin. The point blank shotgun blast direct to his head rattled his brain inside of his steel hard skin.

*edit

Or what 80s said.

80sBaby
I like your explanation better, MF smile

BruceSkywalker
He plays a damn good Purple Man. He's all the creepy in the comics brought to life.

what else has tenant done

80sBaby
what else has tenant done

Well he played a doctor, once. cool

Dreampanther
Originally posted by 80sBaby
Well he played a doctor, once. cool

Doctor who?

Ridley_Prime
Yep. That's why I was psyched for David when I first saw him.

Surtur
I do wonder if Tennant will show up again next season.

quanchi112
Jessica Jones is annoyingly moronic in this show.

KingD19
Well Kilgrave is known to cheat death multiple times through the comics.

quanchi112
Well Kilgrave is known to cheat death multiple times through the comics. Will not read until I'm done with the season.

KingD19
Good call.

dadudemon
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Pretty much. A point blank shotgun blast to the chin cause him to be concussed. It was like a very powerful uppercut.

I can weigh in on this (or mass in on it...haaaa!).

A punch from a human fist transfers MUCH more kinetic energy to the recipient than the bullet or shotgun pellets.

It comes in the form of momentum. This is why a punch from a strong martial artist can literally knock you off your feet (and really strong fighters can punch you so hard that it fly through the air for a few feet, too) and why even a heavy slug only jolts you (if you're wearing body armor that can stop it).

As far as accelerating the brain, inside the skull, very quickly, to cause a concussion, a punch is much more likely to do so to Luke than shotgun blast. The scenario is just plain stupid. If you could wear a very safe helmet that would prevent all damage but transfer all kinetic energy to your head, you wouldn't get knocked out. There just isn't enough momentum behind the pellets, all together, to accelerate your brain enough.

It's just shitty scientific writing. But that's how it is in almost everything.

marwash22
stfu about spoiler tags.

don't come into a thread about a specific show if you haven't seen it. Especially not when it's a show that releases all it's episodes at once.

Surtur
I have to agree about the spoiler tags. That is why I avoided the thread until I'd watched the series. Perhaps it might be best to make two threads, one dedicated to the first half of the season and the other to the second. I mean I'd give it a few more days and then I think people should expect spoilers.

But yeah in the comics Purple Man can enter a deathlike state to heal.

Also it's just plain hard for me to resist highlighting spoiler tags.

quanchi112
Originally posted by marwash22
stfu about spoiler tags.

don't come into a thread about a specific show if you haven't seen it. Especially not when it's a show that releases all it's episodes at once. Who is crying about spoiler tags ???

marwash22
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Convo is cool so far, but pls remember to use spoiler tags m8s. Originally posted by ares834
Should probably spoiler tag that...

quanchi112
Well, I do agree with spoiler tags outside of just generalizing.

Robtard
Will probably finish this over the long weekend, but it's a decent show thus far. Rather pleased.

quanchi112
Already finished this and Jessica jones is dumb as **** IMO. I get that ^someone can relate.

Surtur
Do you mean the show is dumb or the character itself is dumb?

quanchi112
Do you mean the show is dumb or the character itself is dumb? Character is dumb. The show was ok but nothing special IMO.

Dreampanther
Second-highest rated live superhero show by popular vote - well done Jessica Jones. Beaten only by Daredevil, Jessica Jones has a rating of 8.8 from more than 15, 000 viewers. Will be interesting to see if that rating goes up or down as more viewers vote. So far, Netflix and Marvel are proving to be a formidable combination.

dadudemon
Second-highest rated live superhero show by popular vote - well done Jessica Jones. Beaten only by Daredevil, Jessica Jones has a rating of 8.8 from more than 15, 000 viewers. Will be interesting to see if that rating goes up or down as more viewers vote. So far, Netflix and Marvel are proving to be a formidable combination.

And the researchers say that men can't relate to female protagonists....

Surtur
Well you don't have to relate to a main character to enjoy the show. I can't relate to Superman, but I enjoyed certain movies and tv shows about him.

As for Daredevil that is where this gets weird for me. I couldn't get past the first episode of Daredevil. It wasn't bad..I just found it a bit boring. I'm sure it picks up after a few episodes so I will probably have to give it another shot.

Digi
Originally posted by dadudemon
Couple of things:

1. I saw MJ at certain times, too. I just didn't post it. Some thoughts...should just not be posted.

2. She looks very similar to a girl I dated about 10 years ago. And now I'm thinking I have an ex that looks like MJ. hmm I think this feeling I have is disgust. hmm

Disgusted that I didn't hit that after realizing she looked like MJ! awesome

You, I like you.

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
Already finished this and Jessica jones is dumb as **** IMO. I get that ^someone can relate.

You need to calm down and not be angrybuttmad all the time, brah. It's just the internet.

Surtur
I just kept expecting to see her dangling a baby out of a window in the next scene or something along those lines.

Also was I the only one who found it strange they changed the origin of Kilgrave's powers? In comics it is pheromones, but in the show they say it is some kind of virus. Not a big deal, but I don't get why they needed to change it into some kind of virus.

dadudemon
I just kept expecting to see her dangling a baby out of a window in the next scene or something along those lines.

Also was I the only one who found it strange they changed the origin of Kilgrave's powers? In comics it is pheromones, but in the show they say it is some kind of virus. Not a big deal, but I don't get why they needed to change it into some kind of virus.

I don't like the pheromones or virus explanation.

It should be psionics just like Professor X. A virus that mediates behavior that quickly? Naaaah...even an engineered virus that is perfectly capable of doing what Kilgrave does (meaning, he can program the virus to carry a message/programming of the brain every time he gives a command), there is still a travel time, attaching to the correct neurons in the brain, and then getting that information to propagate to a conscious action. There would be far too much lag between a command and when they could do stuff.

Pheromones? Nope. Just not possible with pheromones. Even if we were far more sensitive to pheromones (we are very insensitive to them), still wouldn't be able to do complex commands like Kilgrave does. At best (assuming humans are extremely susceptable to pheromones), he could influence feelings but never complex thoughts.

So, we are left with magical powers of telepathy. Which does exist in that universe (and in 616).

So why the need to use viruses and pheromones? I have no idea.

Digi
Was good. My gf asked about watching it too; apparently internet buzz surrounding it is strong as hell. And she's already familiar with the MCU because of me, so she has the backdrop for it.

And **** the MJ stuff. I'd still smash until we forgot our own names.

Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't like the pheromones or virus explanation.

It should be psionics just like Professor X. A virus that mediates behavior that quickly? Naaaah...even an engineered virus that is perfectly capable of doing what Kilgrave does (meaning, he can program the virus to carry a message/programming of the brain every time he gives a command), there is still a travel time, attaching to the correct neurons in the brain, and then getting that information to propagate to a conscious action. There would be far too much lag between a command and when they could do stuff.

Pheromones? Nope. Just not possible with pheromones. Even if we were far more sensitive to pheromones (we are very insensitive to them), still wouldn't be able to do complex commands like Kilgrave does. At best (assuming humans are extremely susceptable to pheromones), he could influence feelings but never complex thoughts.

So, we are left with magical powers of telepathy. Which does exist in that universe (and in 616).

So why the need to use viruses and pheromones? I have no idea.

It's really at this precise moment that we, the denizens of internet discussion boards, should be able to summon our formidable suspensions of disbelief. Sh*t like this is a non-factor to me. If it doesn't break the story, who gives a ****.

Digi
I also caught what I suspect to be a veiled Doctor Who reference. There's a scene in the childhood home where he is talking about what happened when he was 10. And Jessica tells him "Well you're not 10 anymore." I smiled. Intended or not, it was funny.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Digi
I also caught what I suspect to be a veiled Doctor Who reference. There's a scene in the childhood home where he is talking about what happened when he was 10. And Jessica tells him "Well you're not 10 anymore." I smiled. Intended or not, it was funny.

This is blasphemy. He will always be 10!

Bardock42
The show is great, much better than that crap Daredevil.

Digi
Originally posted by Bardock42
The show is great, much better than that crap Daredevil.

Different type of show, imo. Unless you were just trying to stir up sh*t. In which case, thumb up

I've enjoyed both, but I think the hype surrounding them was a bit overblown. Certainly higher quality drama than other superhero shows out there. But those shows are going for entirely different idioms, so it's hard to compare.

Bardock42
lol, it may be partly shit stirring, but I really didn't think Daredevil was very good, too many god-awful pseudo deep monologues for one. Jessica Jones had slight moments like that, but they never really crossed into awful territory for me.

And I guess comparing Daredevil and Jessica Jones comes pretty natural due to their relation.

quanchi112
The show is great, much better than that crap Daredevil. Neither show even approaches greatness IMO but to each his own.

Digi
lol, it may be partly shit stirring, but I really didn't think Daredevil was very good, too many god-awful pseudo deep monologues for one. Jessica Jones had slight moments like that, but they never really crossed into awful territory for me.

And I guess comparing Daredevil and Jessica Jones comes pretty natural due to their relation.

Yeah, but DD was an episodic action and crime drama, while JJ was a single story, and much more psychological drama than action-oriented. Yeah, Fisk was the villain throughout DD, but it was broken into pieces in ways that JJ wasn't. It was just very different modes of storytelling, at least imo.

I think the hype and positive buzz outran both shows a bit. Something can be overrated and still be good, and that may apply here. But that's to be expected with a lot of good shows when you pay too much attention to the internet.

It's just...look at Supergirl. Thank god JJ exists, or that would be the only viable female role model in superhero-dom atm. AoS is an ensemble show, and movie characters aren't the in the zeitgeist long enough to stick in the same way.

TheVaultDweller
I just finished it last night and quite enjoyed it. It's a different kind of show to Daredevil, or any of the other MCU properties so far. More a psychological thriller than anything else. I did feel that David Tennant stole the show a bit, especially during the latter episodes.

marwash22
this show isn't that good.

it's very slow and the episodes feel long as hell.

lol @ it being better than DD in any way.

Bardock42
No, no, not in any way. In all ways.

marwash22
name one facet of production where this show is objectively better than DD.

Bardock42
name one facet of production where this show is objectively better than DD.

Well, that's an impossible task, since you can reduce everything to subjectivity and the qualities of a TV show as we are discussing are subjective anyways. But needless to say the fact alone that you don't have to deal with pseudo-deep closing statements that were obviously written by a stupid 11 year old, puts Jessica Jones far above Daredevil.

tkitna
Just finished the series and I can only give it an OK. First issue I had was the inconsistency in which Jessicas and Cages powers were portrayed. You have Jessica lifting the rear end of a car one moment and then getting knocked out by a 90 lb. woman that swung a 2x4 at her. Cages best feat was lifting a fat lady and moving her while Captain America can be seen chucking motorcycles at people. Speaking of the portrayal of powers, what did they do exactly? Jessica bent some steel and jumped high with the same special effects that you got back when the Six Million Dollar Man was on TV. Every fight was her throwing people too just like the old Hulk TV show. That was weak as hell. The ending of the show was terrible too. Killgrave would use more caution then that. Dumb. Bottom line is you can get the same viewing satisfaction from any of the millions of cop and detective shows on television as you can with Jessica Jones and I was wanting more than that. Daredevil was a million times better than Jessica Jones.

Surtur
This is why in the future for Marvel Netflix series I would prefer one big story for the season.

marwash22
Well, that's an impossible task, since you can reduce everything to subjectivity and the qualities of a TV show as we are discussing are subjective anyways. But needless to say the fact alone that you don't have to deal with pseudo-deep closing statements that were obviously written by a stupid 11 year old, puts Jessica Jones far above Daredevil. that's a cop-out.

Im not asking for your opinion on which show you prefer.

You said this show was better than 'DD'; if you meant objectively better, then you should be able to point out elements of the production you think are superior.

there are plenty of aspects of film making that can be put into measurable levels of quality.

acting
writing
story cohesion
lighting
cinematography
sound mixing
choreography
...etc., etc., etc.

so name just one thing this show is doing better than 'DD' did.

ares834
All of those are subjective.

Digi
I enjoyed the soundtrack. There were a lot of jazz elements infused into the background, notably whenever she was on a stakeout.

Can we stop the objective/subjective, good/bad, better/worse argument though? It's going to lead nowhere.

marwash22
Originally posted by ares834
All of those are subjective. no.

just because it's possible for someone to like something that is by all measures terrible, that doesn't mean you can strip away all it's technical merits.

fecal matter is objectively disgusting; there's no denying that, it's a fact.

There are people in the world who enjoy eating shit.

just because a few people literally like shit, that doesn't mean shit is now a subjective thing.

ares834
We aren't comparing shit to a five star meal here. We are talking about two highly regarded shows.

Regardless acting, story, writing, etc that's all subjective.

marwash22
...but he claimed one was better than the other, which means he thinks some elements are of a higher quality in this show than they are in 'DD'.

i don't really care about your opinion regarding subjectivity/objectivity, i asked the guy who made the assertion to explain why he made it. This has nothing to do with you.

Bardock42
that's a cop-out.

Im not asking for your opinion on which show you prefer.

You said this show was better than 'DD'; if you meant objectively better, then you should be able to point out elements of the production you think are superior.

there are plenty of aspects of film making that can be put into measurable levels of quality.

acting
writing
story cohesion
lighting
cinematography
sound mixing
choreography
...etc., etc., etc.

so name just one thing this show is doing better than 'DD' did.

In my subjective view...all of those. Acting and writing are the big ones though.

quanchi112
no.

just because it's possible for someone to like something that is by all measures terrible, that doesn't mean you can strip away all it's technical merits.

fecal matter is objectively disgusting; there's no denying that, it's a fact.

There are people in the world who enjoy eating shit.

just because a few people literally like shit, that doesn't mean shit is now a subjective thing. Fecal matter isn't disgusting to dogs and I'm sure there are deviants out there who have fetishes for it. Point is this is opinion based which is subjective.

marwash22
In my subjective view...all of those. Acting and writing are the big ones though. oh ok.

but if this is based on your preference, you made a mistake in phrasing your original statement in the form of a fact. If you had just said, "this show is much better than that trash DD, imo", i would have just ignored it... but the way you wrote it, i actually thought you had factual points to make about the technical merits of each show.

Bardock42
oh ok.

but if this is based on your preference, you made a mistake in phrasing your original statement in the form of a fact. If you had just said, "this show is much better than that trash DD, imo", i would have just ignored it... but the way you wrote it, i actually thought you had factual points to make about the technical merits of each show.

Ha, while cute, that's not how people talk. When someone says they think one work of art is better than another it always means that they prefer it. Like everyone after your post pointed out, all the aspects you claim to be objective, are ultimately reduced to subjectivity again. Better is only defined on a scale we have to agree on.

When Digi said "Was good", you didn't say "do you mean in your opinion?"
When Robtard said "Is a decent show so far" you didn't say "what makes it objectively decent?"
When you said "this show isn't that good" you didn't add "In my subjective opinion, which I understand is mine and not objective like we all assume if we don't disclaim it"

So GTFO with your objectivity bullshit, buddy. Daredevil isn't as good as Jessica Jones.

AbnormalButSane
Finished the season this morning. I quite enjoyed it. David Tennant is brilliant.

BruceSkywalker
just need to finish the last 4 episodes. always been a fan of kyrsten ritter but this could be better

wakkawakkawakka
Admittedly the show could have been better than the end product. The show does have pacing issues in addition to its portrayal of superpowers.

Arachnid1
I'm about halfway through so far.

At the end of episode 5, Jessica gets shot in the collar by that psycho couple. After that, we never hear or see anything about it again. Wtf is the deal with that? Did they just randomly give her a healing factor or something?

Cage is the man. Episodes with him in it are automatically at least twice as good as those without. He and Jessica are both awesome characters. Also, Jeri gets an honorable mention. She, with Cage and Jessica are the most compelling and well acted characters in this show.

Hoping for more from Kilgrave. He's acted well, but doesn't seem to have any overall plan or reasoning. He's just a dick who does evil things without reason because lol. So far, Kingpin>>>>>>>Kilgrave, which is disappointing. They could do so much with his powers. He could make Jessica's life so much worse than he has, but he's always off doing some random pointless act of evil.

So far, I prefer Daredevil to this pretty easily. Hoping the second half is better.

Digi
Yeah, good point, Moss did a great job in her role. When an actor is well-known, it's hard for me to "forget" it's them as I watch them. But she made me forget who she was, and just believe the character. Probably the best performance on the show, imo, including Tennant and Ritter, both of whom I adore. Guy playing Cage did well too.

BackFire
Thought this show was pretty excellent.

Much more grounded than other super hero shows, had a very unique tone/atmosphere. I liked how it played out more like a film noir than a traditional super hero narrative.

Also thought it had great supporting character, with the exception of Simpson who seemed kinda pointless.

Killgrave is the best villain that's been in a Marvel movie or TV show. Great combination of charisma and evil. Tennant did a great, great job. Only other one that comes close is Kingpin in Daredevil, imo.

KingD19
Interesting to see Nuke as well. It'd have been awesome if we got a cameo from Matt and Foggy doing something with Hogarth, and maybe Hogarth having a conversation or being shown texting Danny since her comic counterpart is his lawyer.

Dreampanther

marwash22

When you said "this show isn't that good" you didn't add "In my subjective opinion, which I understand is mine and not objective like we all assume if we don't disclaim it"

difference is, if you ask me to give reasons for why i think this show isn't very good, I'd actually give you answers.

also, I'm not your buddy, guy.

Mindset
Punisher would have ended this show in 1 episode.

quanchi112

Arachnid1

Dreampanther

dadudemon
Originally posted by Arachnid1
There's also Simpson/Nuke. His development from do good cop who doesn't hurt innocence to randomly gunning down lawful detectives and trying to murder Jessica was a huge jump. There was no set up or transition. It just happened. He still had some really good and fun moments though (him murdering the detective was one of the biggest jaw droppers in the show). Still, all he really did though was make me want the Punisher in Daredevil that much more.

I thought his abrupt transition into very ruthless and violent was easily explained by the red pill. Take that, become a super soldier filled with rage and barely able to think straight.

It's basically a berserker pill that leaves a bit of the mind left to make semi-important decisions.

KingD19
Yeah. Nuke is basically psycho while on the red pill and enhanced by the surgery. . That's the transition.

Inhuman
Finally finished Season 1.
Enjoyed it. Different pace than Daredevil but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Mindset
This show reminds me of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Kilgrave is probably my favorite character.

Robtard
Tennant does a solid job at being a creepy creep.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
Tennant does a solid job at being a creepy creep. Kind recognizes kind.

Inhuman
I want to see killgrave tell someone to eat their own a$shole

Robtard
That's in season 2, the return of KG

Mindset
Originally posted by quanchi112
Kind recognizes kind. Quan, are you obsessed with Robtard?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindset
Quan, are you obsessed with Robtard? Nah.

Arachnid1
I'm obsessed with you Rob

Come on friend, just touch it

pls

Mindset
Rob, just the tip.

pls respond

quanchi112
Weird.

Mindset
Quan is so jealous right now.

marwash22
nobody get's between Quan and his Rob.

quanchi112
He is my victim. That's for sure.

Arachnid1
Don't be so testy friend

You're invited to the butt play

It's very exclusive

dadudemon
WTF is happening in this thread? haermm

BruceSkywalker
finally finished this last night... somewhat disappointed in how easily it was to kill killgraive.. also the stuff with Cage made no sense either...

Inhuman
finally finished this last night... somewhat disappointed in how easily it was to kill killgraive.. also the stuff with Cage made no sense either...

Well Killgrave has mind control abilities not strength or durability. I kind of liked the way Jessica tricked him into letting his guard down and getting close.

The cage stuff could have been done better i guess but it didn't bother me. Besides what other person could have pounded a non holding back Jessica in the throws of passion? Luke thats who.
You could tell he wanted to let loose on some skank for a long time without ripping her in half or bludgeoning her to a pulp.

Ushgarak
It was always easy to kill Kilgrave- she'd had plenty of opportunities throughout the season. The trick was getting it to a point where she actually wanted to kill him; Hope's death did that.

But that said- no, it's not really a brilliant ending to the story (though it was ok). Just having it end in "Oh let's kill him after all" makes a lot of the drive of the season look pointless. May as well have just listened to crazy drugs guy and shot Kilgrave from the start. It's also not super-dramatic because we already knew she could kill him if she wanted, so we were just watching it play out.

Worst of all- total waste of a character. There was more that could have been dine there.

A cleverer finale that left Kilgrave alive would have worked better and still developed Jessica's character well. But it was still a good series.

This leaves me with two problems with the new tv continuity:

1. Luke seems VERY dull. I can't really imagine a whole series about him holding my interest at all.

2. Jessica is not an interesting hero. That's not an insult- she's not MEANT to be an interesting hero; she was intentionally given very generic powers. Jessica's whole schtick is how she fits into her story plotlines, and that works very well- but with Kilgrave gone, there's not really much left to do with her that can sustain that interest. Maybe they can get a decent second series going, but I am hard pressed to see her being interesting in the Defenders crossover. If it's not about HER, then she doesn't add anything to a standard hero story.

This is as opposed to Daredevil, who is actually interesting in his own right; you could go on forever with him. As the comics did.

Again, not a dig at Jessica. I LIKE the idea of an effectively one-off story that works well. It;s just a setup that's not extendable like other franchises.

BackFire
Do you think it's possible that Killgrave could survive somehow? Using his powers? I mean, this is the Marvel universe, generally not known for its grounded nature. Maybe he could transfer his consciousness to another human being or some such thing.

I do agree that it'd be a shame if Killgrave was truly gone for good, he was such a compelling villain.

Ushgarak
There's no way he can survive that is not fundamentally crap. It might be worth it for all that.

That said, it's not THAT easy to do another Kilgrave story, because you can't just do the same again and he's a bit one-note; there's no way I can think of to change him that doesn't also ruin him.

Bardock42
I think the ending could have been done a bit better perhaps, but Kilgrave is one of the villains where I think it is good that he died at the end. What made him compelling was basically played out. The same problem will happen if they bring back the Kingpin in a future Daredevil series, imo. Whatever is going to happen next is not going to be as interesting or compelling as the arcs the two villains had.

I mean, I guess maybe it's possible, but seems very unlikely they'd pull it off.

marwash22
Originally posted by BackFire
Do you think it's possible that Killgrave could survive somehow? Using his powers? I mean, this is the Marvel universe, generally not known for its grounded nature. Maybe he could transfer his consciousness to another human being or some such thing.

I do agree that it'd be a shame if Killgrave was truly gone for good, he was such a compelling villain. no. killgrave isn't that kind of telepath. his power is all suggestion based, he can't even enter another person's mind, he has to make them tell him what they're thinking.

The only feasible way he survives is if that doctor who gave Simpson the pills somehow revives him.

as far as story goes, they wouldn't have to repeat the same formula. If Killgrave were to come back they could easily have him play the mastermind role where he uses other metas to do his bidding. He could turn his focus from Jessica to actually taking over the world.

KingD19
Kilgrave can go into a healing state in the comics, which could be feasible after his upgrade where he was actually turning purple and becoming Purple Man.

BruceSkywalker
What do you guys think of Patsy? Could she get some sort of costume for season 2?

Ushgarak
as far as story goes, they wouldn't have to repeat the same formula. If Killgrave were to come back they could easily have him play the mastermind role where he uses other metas to do his bidding. He could turn his focus from Jessica to actually taking over the world.

Which would be pretty dull- just makes him another supervillain. Much of the point was this being a grounded, focussed, personal thing.

-

Meanwhile, Kingpin is far more extendable than Kilgrave. S1 Daredevil was his origin story.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>