Your View of The Force

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
Well with Legends relegated to...well, Legends, The Force has returned to simple childish LIGHT GOOD DARK BAD with none of the nuance some of the better EU writers gave it.

My question is - do you like this? Did you enjoy works that tried to give a bit more insightful commentary on the matter?

I've always hated the Jedi's view of the Force as it's so deprecating.
A good things happens? Will of the Force.
A bad thing happens? Dark Side AKA your own fault.

So the only thing "you' ever do, according to Jedi doctrine, is **** up. All positive actions are predestined and guided by the Force or Light Side.

I call BS on that. I prefer the Yin/Yang approach held by certain writers.

Q99
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight

I've always hated the Jedi's view of the Force as it's so deprecating.
A good things happens? Will of the Force.
A bad thing happens? Dark Side AKA your own fault.

I never got that from it... bad stuff happening to you isn't ascribed to the dark side, and it's not so karma-istic.

---

The Dark Side in the OT is not just the yin to the light side's yang from what we saw. It's drawing off negative emotions.

Really, I just don't want it to flip back and forth between what it is.

Nephthys
I'd wait until after the movies to call its views on the Force. It may be more complex than it seems.

ILS
The two main views are that:

-The Light Side is the Force in it's natural state, and the dark side is a corruption on the Force.

-The Force is just energy, whether it be light sided, dark sided or any mix of the two, and doesn't have any special kind of morality system, the only morals being those that Force using organizations assign to it.

Judging by the Mortis family tree I'd think the second one is more correct, and quite a lot of prominent Force users and individuals see it that way as well. Though the dark side is nevertheless a pretty destructive and corrosive force, so the first one retains some merit, but then natural disasters and the like are just that: natural.

AncientPower
To the surprise of absolutely nobody Lucas himself has supported both conflicting points of view on numerous occasions. He has gone back and forth on the matter in a similarly inconsistent manner.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by AncientPower
To the surprise of absolutely nobody Lucas himself has supported both conflicting points of view on numerous occasions. He has gone back and forth on the matter in a similarly inconsistent manner.

GL is notorious for flip-flopping on things, which is why as a world builder he excels and as a world-maintainer he fails utterly. And don't get me started on Leland Chee; the stupid fool ignored that EU and the movie canon were supposed to be separate from the beginning, just like Star Trek.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.