Crossguard Lightsaber

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kickballjedi

Darth Subjekt
I'm not too sure about that. Apparently Kylo is part of a group called "The Knights of Ren," which makes Ren a title similar to Darth. Anyway, there's not been a lot of information given on that group yet, but I take them as group like the Knights Templar, so it could just be a nod to old school swords throughout history. But I think these "Rens" are going to end up being Sith worshipers, and Kylo is supposedly a collector of ancient artifacts, so I don't know why he would want to try to "improve" upon the lightsaber design that had been so effective for thousands of years.

I actually see the crossguard as more of a hindrance than a help. You start spinning it around, and you may end up cutting off your own hand. I guess we'll find out.

FreshestSlice
It's not a cross-guard. It's exhaust. Kylo's saber is based on an outdated Sith design.

cdtm
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt

I actually see the crossguard as more of a hindrance than a help. You start spinning it around, and you may end up cutting off your own hand. I guess we'll find out.

Classic LS's are pretty much a hindrance anyways. And if they can handle a suicidally bad double lightsaber design, a hilts nothing.

Also, lightsaber chucks. Want to see one, logic be damned.

v=P2CMaRSHz9E

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
It's not a cross-guard. It's exhaust. Kylo's saber is based on an outdated Sith design.

Where did you hear that or get that from?

Originally posted by cdtm
Classic LS's are pretty much a hindrance anyways. And if they can handle a suicidally bad double lightsaber design, a hilts nothing.

Also, lightsaber chucks. Want to see one, logic be damned.

When I say classic, I meant classic the way it's meant to be used, as in, during the pinnacle or height of something. I know people use it to describe old things, I mean LS's as they were once perfected, I.e. The way we know them.

Your video won't play for some reason, so I can't see it, but I saw a video about the history of the LS and when they had portable power sources with the cable and all that... I def Italy don't mean like those. And yes, that would most definitely be a hindrance lol.

As far as the double bladed LS, not many people used those BECAUSE they were so dangerous. Obviously we saw Maul with one with the extra long hilt, but there was also the old guy who used one... I always get Kyle Katarn and Exar Kun's names and time periods confused for some reason, but I think it was Kun who wielded one with the hilt only as long as a regular LS. But I will say, Lightchucks... This needs to happen! Lol

FreshestSlice
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTqUIQNUcAA6mEn.jpg

Zenwolf
Interesting Fresh..

Darth Subjekt
Oh wow, nice. I've never seen that pic before. Thanks!

queeq
Really? It was on Comic Con, right?

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by queeq

This is a newer picture, taken inside the pavilion at either Disneyland or Disney World for the new Season of the Force.

Darth Subjekt

Yea. Reading everything about TDKR really ruined it for me, and if there's one movie I don't want spoiled, it's this one. I've only seen 3 of the trailer/TV spots for this. Coming back to the boards is probably counterproductive to that, but hell, I missed all you boogers. smile

queeq
Well, let us fill you in then... evil face

chilled monkey
"What do you think of my theory?"

It doesn't hold water.

Usually when a hand/arm is cut off in lightsaber combat it occurs due to an upwards strike that comes in under the wrist.

Luke's hand in Ep V - upwards strike.

Anakin's arm in Ep II - upwards strike (plus his arm was cut off at the elbow).

So no, a cross-guard wouldn't have made any difference at all.

queeq
I don't understand why people are so going crazy over this cross guard. People have been using cross guards for centuries...

chilled monkey
I don't understand why people are so going crazy over this cross guard. People have been using cross guards for centuries...

1) It's ugly as fudge (unlike a regular sword).

2) It's a crass gimmick created just to sell more toys (look kids, more light up bits. Isn't it cool?)

3) As I've explained it doesn't make any difference. Even if Luke and Anakin had had it they'd have still lost their hands/arms.

queeq
Well so what? So it's a gimmick, why not. We've had the double light sabre, the quadruple lightsabre, a purple lightsaber... now we get a new gimmick. As long as it doesn't get in the way of story or instead of character, I'm okay with all that.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by chilled monkey
1) It's ugly as fudge (unlike a regular sword).

2) It's a crass gimmick created just to sell more toys (look kids, more light up bits. Isn't it cool?)

3) As I've explained it doesn't make any difference. Even if Luke and Anakin had had it they'd have still lost their hands/arms.

1. I happen to think it looks awesome.

2. The entire movie franchise is revolved around toys.

3. All because those fights were written to have them lose those limbs like that.

You seem so negative about Star Wars.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
1. I happen to think it looks awesome.

You're entitled to your opinion.

2. The entire movie franchise is revolved around toys.

True.

3. All because those fights were written to have them lose those limbs like that.

Yes, but it's the WAY in which they lost those limbs. In each case the limb was severed by a strike that would have connected even if their weapons had possessed cross-guards. Claiming or implying that those limbs wouldn't have been lost if a cross-guard had been present is simply untrue.

You seem so negative about Star Wars.

Not at all. I'm actually a pretty big Star Wars fan. Some of my favourite books are Star Wars novels.

I'm just more than a little annoyed about the whole "Canon/Legends" thing since it means no new material featuring my favourite characters. For example, what happened to Starkiller?

Furthermore there was absolutely no need for any new movies. If people wanted to know "what happened next?" that question was already answered in the novels.

These new movies aren't being made for storytelling reasons. They are being made purely so that a bunch of fat, greedy corporate executives can get merchandising deals and sell tons of t-shirts, lunchboxes, bobbleheads and other over-priced junk.

I am losing out because of that and it bothers me.

FreshestSlice
Not at all. I'm actually a pretty big Star Wars fan. Some of my favourite books are Star Wars novels.

I'm just more than a little annoyed about the whole "Canon/Legends" thing since it means no new material featuring my favourite characters. For example, what happened to Starkiller?

Hint: He doesn't exist. You can makeup whatever ending you want. This is fiction, not history.

Yeah, that's great and all, but since most of those novels are, for lack of a better word, god awful, we prefer seeing movies. Some of us also like talking about this with friends and family outside of the internet and don't expect them to read every obscure novel about the Solo twins.

Which is exactly why every movie ever, and every book you like so much, was written: to make money. Those books would never have been licensed if they weren't going to make money. What does that have to do with the story being told now?

You're losing out because you're overreacting and acting childish. Literally nothing else is stopping you from enjoying or at least attempting to enjoy the Sequel Trilogy.

Darth Subjekt
When Ob1 was cutting off GG's hands, wasn't he sliding down the blade? I believe he was if memory serves... Had there been a crossguard (which he really didn't need with 3 other separate lightsabers), or as it's been pointed out, exhaust ports, then those strikes wouldn't have landed.

As far as the "fat, greedy" so and so's... We've already been down that path with Lucas. Re-releasing MULTIPLE versions of the movies, each time with worse changes, all for the sake of making more money. Which is the same thing he was planning on doing with the post effects 3D versions that thankfully got stopped.

Also, and I'm not trying to be a dick here - seriously, you don't have to watch the new movies. You can maintain everything on your mind as canon. The only time canon matters to fans, is when debating. Since no one here seems to bother with the Legends stuff anymore, you are left unopposed on the debate table for those time periods. Further, the ONLY reason ANY movies are made, are for business reasons and to make money. It's the finished product that you should concern yourself with, that way you can enjoy it. I know that I will never be a millionaire or a pro athlete, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying sports, or movies made by billionaire owned movie studios. Hell, I'll still break out my old toys and play with my kids with them, so the marketing doesn't bother me either.

If that stuff has really left a bad taste in your mouth, then I sincerely feel for you, cause you're potentially missing out on something that could take you back to childhood and kick you right in the feels. I'm not sh!tting on your opinion or telling you how to feel, just trying to help you see from a different perspective so maybe you can wholly enjoy it like you once did.

queeq
Well, as the late, great Alfred Hitchcock used to say: "It's only a movie."

If it bothers you, don't go. If you do and it's any good, you'll have a few hours of fun.

Darth Subjekt
I wish we had like buttons, or vote up/down buttons here.

Sith Master X
I think the cross-guard lightsaber, the actual blade itself is one of the coolest sabers we've ever seen.

I love how it is emitting sparks and doesn't seem to be fully concentrated in a straight line.

Darth Subjekt
It reminds me of one of the Lightsaber styles in The Force Unleashed. The unstable blade I think. I wonder if that means the blade is more powerful against other sabers, like a Claymore hitting rapier. Damn, the more we talk about this shit, the more excited I get.

queeq
Or weaker. I saw this rendering of the sabre in Empire Magazine. There's even a red wire running along the outside of the hilt, attached by little clamps. It really looks like a amateurishly fabricated sabre. Which is kinda cool.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I think the cross-guard lightsaber, the actual blade itself is one of the coolest sabers we've ever seen.

I love how it is emitting sparks and doesn't seem to be fully concentrated in a straight line.

It looks like it could sputter out any moment.

Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
The unstable blade I think. I wonder if that means the blade is more powerful against other sabers

Beg your pardon but that makes no sense. That's like thinking a rusty blade is somehow "more powerful" than a polished one. Anytime I see that I think, "one hit from a real lightsabre and that thing will fail immediately. It's barely holding together as it is."

It really looks like a amateurishly fabricated sabre. Which is kinda cool.

Yeah, it's so cool that the villain is armed with a barely functional piece of junk that he cobbled together from whatever bits he could find while the hero has a magnificent, perfectly made weapon. That really ups the tension.

That's sarcasm BTW.

Seriously, I do not understand how anyone could possibly find that thing appealing.

NewLanceWindu
It looks like it could sputter out any moment.

Beg your pardon but that makes no sense. That's like thinking a rusty blade is somehow "more powerful" than a polished one. Anytime I see that I think, "one hit from a real lightsabre and that thing will fail immediately. It's barely holding together as it is."

Yeah, it's so cool that the villain is armed with a barely functional piece of junk that he cobbled together from whatever bits he could find while the hero has a magnificent, perfectly made weapon. That really ups the tension.

That's sarcasm BTW.

Seriously, I do not understand how anyone could possibly find that thing appealing.

Don't think of it as unstable, think of it as raw power.

The lightsaber hilt itself is ugly, but that's part of being built by an untrained person. The blade having that raw power and the arcing sparks...it's beautiful. It's something we've never seen in Star Wars, it's brutal.

Darth Subjekt
You took two separate sentences, put them together, and then tried to attack a point. What I said makes perfect sense. If that saber is creating so much power that it needs exhaust ports, it's obviously creating more than the newer conventional sabers that are toned down and better controlled.

An M60 is far more powerful than an M16, and thusly harder to control with much more kick (energy dispersion). If this has more raw power to it due to lack of refinement, then it's perfectly reasonable to assume it might hold an unknown advantage. Do you get it?

Bashar Teg
you would have to assume that the tech behind the saber is identical to modern sabers. for all we know, modern sabers may have an amplifying effect on the blade, rendering the kylo's blade a flashy noisy rattlebox with no balls...like a pimped out 92 civic. whats the point it getting into a heated debate over it when nobody really knows anything.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
whats the point it getting into a heated debate over it when nobody really knows anything.

We have to pass the time until next week. big grin

queeq
Indeed.

Besides, I like it. A rough sabre used by someone who knows how to use it vs. someone with a perfect weapon who doesn't. Sounds like the best of ambiguity... or irony. Which usually amps a movie. Something the PT totally lacked.

Darth Subjekt
yea, we will soon see. smile

queeq
Three days for most, two for me. evil face

Darth Subjekt
5 minutes for me!!!!!

NewLanceWindu
4 hours, 3 minutes for me. Leaving in an hour to make the hour long drive and grab dinner before going in.

queeq
Have fun!

And... I am really curious how you like it!

NewLanceWindu
Have fun!

And... I am really curious how you like it!

I thought it was amazing. I'll post in the discussion thread.

queeq
Saw it!

atv2
I only did some research online, Kylo Ren is not Luke Skywalker.

BruceSkywalker
I liked the crossguard lightsaber.....

hopefully for ep 8 there will be another different type/shape lightsaber

JediRobin23
I noticed in the movie that the crossgaurd lightsaber did have a purpose as I had expected.

Ren basically presses the crossgaurd edge into Finns shoulder while there sabers were pressed against each other. Good enough for me for the practicality of it.

Also thought it was cool how the Sabers were evaporating snow during the fight scene

Galan007
A few factoids about the Crossguard saber, from TVD:
http://i.imgur.com/sW56wXz.png
http://i.imgur.com/b9G4Qj3.png

In a nutshell: because the saber's kyber crystal is fractured, the purpose of the quillons is to shunt power away from the primary blade in order to help stabilize it... Kind of cool that the quillons serve a legitimate mechanical/functional purpose as well. thumb up

cdtm
That crossguard lightsaber looks like it would be horribly unbalanced. Probably heavy too, as it looks like a lump of iron.

With the crossguard, plus shape of the hilt, it would probably restrict wrist movements to the point of making deflection unfeasable. And being stuck hacking away like a meat cleaver is a huge disadvantage when a lighter, more practical weapon does exactly the same amount of damage, while allowing greater range of movement.

Not that I'm an expert on dualing, but just a few observations. It's no wonder Rey and Finn could hold him off, using that thing..

JediRobin23
So, did anyone notice that Kylo did indeed use the lightsaber as a crossgaurd in TLJ......

Guess that makes his lightsaber a superalloy....

mark92
It's not a cross-guard. It's exhaust. I also have a crossguard lightsaber but it was a so exhaust. We don't know why Kylo Ren is carrying this unique version of the elegant weapon for a more civilized age, but there have been plenty of theories.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.