DC vs Marvel vs ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Ok, this thread is about inspirations. To be exact, who inspired who first. It's not about bashing or feats, just about "what came first" and "how was it adapted by the other company". You can use Marvel, DC or any other Company, share you knowledge. May it be a hero, an iconic picture or the structure of the Omniverse.

Some examples

DC inspired Marvel

Gladiator and the Imperial Guard (Inspired by Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes)

Marvel inspired DC

Imperiex and the Imperiex Probes (Inspired by Galactus and his Heralds)

Who had a Multiverse with alternate versions of their Superheroes first btw?

And how is this a vs Thread? Well, let's see how big the creative influence of the companies is.

BeyonderGod
Catwoman>Black cat
Hawk eye > Green arrow

carver9
Hulk / Doomsday (Hulk came first)
Magneto / Doctor Poloris (Magneto came first)
Green Lantern / Quasar (GL came first)
Darkseid / Thanos (I think Darkseid came first)
Gladiator / Superman (Superman came first)

-Pr-
Originally posted by carver9
Hulk / Doomsday (Hulk came first)
Magneto / Doctor Poloris (Magneto came first)
Green Lantern / Quasar (GL came first)
Darkseid / Thanos (I think Darkseid came first)
Gladiator / Superman (Superman came first)

You sure about Magneto there, buddy?

Enzeru
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe

an iconic picture

I pick Sun God and his teammates as copies of the Justice League, mainly because of this:

http://i.imgur.com/fMpfH0K.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fMpfH0K.jpg

I found that to be a nice, little homage. Superman getting nuked and Sun God getting killed by Doctor Strange.

abhilegend
Polaris came before Magneto.

Hulk is a rip off of Grundy.

carver9
Originally posted by abhilegend

Hulk is a rip off of Grundy.

Hulk has adaptive capabilities. Doomsday main ability is to adapt.

The madder Doomsday get, the stronger he gets. Wonder who they got that from.

Everything about Doomsday was created by the Hulk. They just upped his adaptive abilities. Grundy doesn't have a single quality like the Hulk minus super strength.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Good ones. Like the Sun God picture.

This one was also nice:
http://s6d8.turboimg.net/sp/912397ee4cfddd85b256b5134cba9356/106.jpg
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/DarkKnightReturns3.jpg

abhilegend
Hulk has adaptive capabilities. Doomsday main ability is to adapt.

The madder Doomsday get, the stronger he gets. Wonder who they got that from.

Everything about Doomsday was created by the Hulk. They just upped his adaptive abilities. Grundy doesn't have a single quality like the Hulk minus super strength.
Yeah, right.

Hulk isn't well known for his adaptive abilities. He is known for smashing shit up.

Hulk was originally stated to be grow stronger the longer he fights. Not with how angry he was.

Just like grundy.

carver9
Yeah, right.

Hulk isn't well known for his adaptive abilities. He is known for smashing shit up.

Hulk was originally stated to be grow stronger the longer he fights. Not with how angry he was.

Just like grundy.

Hulk has adapting abilities. That's all DC did was copy and enhance it with Doomsday.

WTF. Make a thread. Hulk is well known for growing in power with his rage. Hulk power feed off of his rage (I'm sure you know this. You're either trolling or you are in denial) just like Doomsday (this isn't the only time it was said that Doomsday strength involved his rage).

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/3/33308/867722-doomsday9.jpg

Grundy and Hulk doesn't have NOTHING similar to each other. Grundy is a walking corpse with super strength. He's more comparable to Frankenstein then the Hulk. Doomsday IS the Hulk. Do you need my shoulder?

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012312/reg_1024.tvd4.mh.041212.jpg

-Pr-
Wait, you think Hulk WASN'T inspired by Grundy?

carver9
Originally posted by -Pr-
Wait, you think Hulk WASN'T inspired by Grundy?

Nope. They have completely different powersets. Nothing about Grundy and Hulk are similar minus them having super strength.

abhilegend
Hulk has adapting abilities. That's all DC did was copy and enhance it with Doomsday.

WTF. Make a thread. Hulk is well known for growing in power with his rage. Hulk power feed off of his rage (I'm sure you know this. You're either trolling or you are in denial) just like Doomsday (this isn't the only time it was said that Doomsday strength involved his rage).

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/3/33308/867722-doomsday9.jpg

Grundy and Hulk doesn't have NOTHING similar to each other. Grundy is a walking corpse with super strength. He's more comparable to Frankenstein then the Hulk. Doomsday IS the Hulk. Do you need my shoulder?

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2012312/reg_1024.tvd4.mh.041212.jpg
Is that so?

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/24525684/SavageHulkAmping02FF026.jpg.html

First mention of Hulk growing stronger in the comics. Not by rage.

By the way Doomsday is also a genetically engineered being who has died countless times. Guess he isn't a copy of Hulk. Just like Hulk isn't a copy of Grundy by your logic.

And

Blue Area Vet
I don't see Hulk as much of a copy of Grundy. I do see Doomsday a lose copy of Hulk in terms of his "unstoppableness."

carver9
Is that so?

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/24525684/SavageHulkAmping02FF026.jpg.html

First mention of Hulk growing stronger in the comics. Not by rage.

By the way Doomsday is also a genetically engineered being who has died countless times. Guess he isn't a copy of Hulk. Just like Hulk isn't a copy of Grundy by your logic.

And

Sigh. I don't think you understand what is being said here. You're just not getting it. Doomsday IS the Hulk. He has every last one of his abilities. Hell, they had him jumping around like the Hulk as well. Doomsday was inspired by the Hulk. Nothing wrong with that since Hulk is a beast.

-Pr-
Nope. They have completely different powersets. Nothing about Grundy and Hulk are similar minus them having super strength.

Holy Jesus. facepalm

You need to read up on your history.

======

Doomsday does share similarities with Hulk. Some are bound to be intentional. Some not-so. They needed the most physically imposing character possible to fight Superman, so drawing from Marvel's most physically imposing character, even unconsciously, was always bound to happen imo.

basilisk
Originally posted by Enzeru
I pick Sun God and his teammates as copies of the Justice League, mainly because of this:
And of course don't forget the Squadron Supreme, Marvel's original homage to the Justice League, and their various incarnations over the years.

Polaris was definitely before Magneto, but it was close, like Doom Patrol and X-Men. By coincidence, Polaris and Doom Patrol appeared around the same time, then a few months later X-Men and Magneto debuted together.

Hulk was inspired by a few things - from literature Frankenstein's monster and the Jekyll/Hyde scenario in particular. But yeah, people have said Grundy's persona and speech had an influence on the Hulk though I doubt Stan and Jack ever said anything about it.

carver9
Holy Jesus. facepalm

You need to read up on your history.

======

Doomsday does share similarities with Hulk. Some are bound to be intentional. Some not-so. They needed the most physically imposing character possible to fight Superman, so drawing from Marvel's most physically imposing character, even unconsciously, was always bound to happen imo.

Grundy and Hulk are not similar to me, at all. It doesn't just take super strength to make a character similar.

Everything about Doomsday and Hulk are similar tbh. Some more obvious than most.

Both ramp up in strength due to their anger.
Both use the jumping method as a means of transportation.
Adaptive abilities (basically a physical change to their bodies. Hulk growing gills and Doomsday ear covering itself in bone because of a sonic attack).
Super speed
Agility to touch and grab energy.

The list goes on and on. I don't get what the issue is. They are basically the same character except one has bone covering the skin while the other leaks radiation.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Grundy had and has adapting powers btw. and to my knowledge Grundy was an inspiration to Hulk.

If anything Doomsday shares more similarities with Grundy than Hulk. No alter ego, if he dies he comes back with adapted powers, design, color, super strength, invulnerability etc.

1962 First appearance, cover.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Hulk_1_cover.jpg

Solom Grundy first appeared 1944
Here a cover 2 years prior to the first appearance of Hulk.
Justice League of America (1960 1st Series)
https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/868203.jpg

Nothing bad being inspired by Grundy imo, Hulk has traits of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde too, so the twist is there.

abhilegend
Grundy and Hulk are not similar to me, at all. It doesn't just take super strength to make a character similar.

Everything about Doomsday and Hulk are similar tbh. Some more obvious than most.

Adaptive abilities (basically a physical change to their bodies. Hulk growing gills and Doomsday ear covering itself in bone because of a sonic attack).
Super speed

The list goes on and on. I don't get what the issue is. They are basically the same character except one has bone covering the skin while the other leaks radiation.
laughing out loud

Surtur
Everything is a rip off of something. Batman wasn't even the first kind of hero like that either. But most of this can be solved via a wiki check.

ShadowFyre
Pretty cool thread Prof. Im in class and gonna do some research before I start making claims bout who came first tho

carver9
Grundy had and has adapting powers btw. and to my knowledge Grundy was an inspiration to Hulk.

If anything Doomsday shares more similarities with Grundy than Hulk. No alter ego, if he dies he comes back with adapted powers, design, color, super strength, invulnerability etc.

Nothing bad being inspired by Grundy imo, Hulk has traits of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde too, so the twist is there.

Its ok that Hulk is the inspiration for Doomsday. Every ability you named in this post came from Hulk. Now let's stop derailing your amazing thread so that People can add their comments.

Surtur
Okay so Doomsday was inspired by Hulk who was inspired by Grundy.

carver9
Originally posted by Surtur
Okay so Doomsday was inspired by Hulk who was inspired by Grundy.

Colossus. They both have super strength and they are Grey.

Scoobless
Click 'em

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/2475fcbc64446e55e3df59d4e5b0842c%201.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/DC%20Marvel.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/Marv%20DC.jpg

basilisk
I have no trouble believing that some aspects of Doomsday were at least partially inspired by Hulk - the rage increases his strength thing for example.

But now that everyone is discussing it, when exactly did Hulk's adaptive abilities show up? Didn't things like Hulk growing gills and breathing in space and Fury saying he can adapt to things actually come after Doomsday? They didn't really use to make a thing about Hulk adapting his body/powers in the old issues. They did add abilities like being able to see astral forms, but those weren't adaptations as such as they didn't happen in response to the situation. Likewise adaptation hasn't been a big thing in the Hulk since then either.

Are there any instances of Hulk's body adapting to a situation, like growing gills, before Doomsday's first appearance, or did Hulk actually borrow from Doomsday in that respect? I'm trying to remember instances of them actually referring to feats as adaptation.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by Scoobless
Click 'em

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/2475fcbc64446e55e3df59d4e5b0842c%201.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/DC%20Marvel.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n606/Scoobless/Marv%20DC.jpg

Awesome!

Also yes, Batman was inspired by Zorro. Superman was inspired by Moses, Jesus and Samson etc. But let's keep it to comics. ^^

abhilegend
The only character which is even remotely unique in his own is silver surfer.

A cosmic being flying on a surfboard? Never one of those before.

ShadowFyre
Did DC actually make swamp thing? I always thought he was darkhorse

-Pr-

Super speed

there's more to characters than powersets, carver.

carver9
there's more to characters than powersets, carver.

Both Doomsday and Hulk are rampaging monsters.

Prof. T.C McAbe

Ok let's break it down.

Grundy - Hulk

Similarities 7

Super Strength
Super Durability
Healing Factor
Low Intellect
Adapting Powers (Hulks are rather low)
Ripped Pants
Grey Skin Frankenstein look (Original Hulk)

Differencies 2

No alter ego for Grundy
Ressurection ability for Grundy

Hulk - Doomsday

Similarities 6

Super Strength
Super Durability
Healing Factor
Low Intellect
Adapting Powers
Grey Skin Frankenstein look

Differencies 3

No alter Ego for Doomsday
Ressurection ability for Doomsday
Boneclaws

Grundy - Doomsday

Similarities 8

Super Strength
Super Durability
Healing Factor
Low Intellect
Adapting Powers
No alter Ego
Ressurection ability

Differencies 1

Boneclaws

So I disagree with your assumption. Hulk is based on Grundy as much as Doomsday is based on Grundy, Hulk and Wolverine.

Now let's move on to other inspirations, shall we? ^^

One_Angry_Scot

Sentry inspired by Miracleman could be one.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Sentry inspired by Miracleman could be one.

thumb up

I am not too familiar with Miracleman ^^.

What was the void persona inspired by, has Marvelman something like this?

One_Angry_Scot
thumb up

I am not too familiar with Miracleman ^^.

What was the void persona inspired by, has Marvelman something like this?

He has Kid Miracleman. Although he isn't an imagined persona.

You can also add this,

Meridian and Anti-Meridian inspired by the Sentry and Void. They were created in a comic series called Deathmatch written by Paul Jenkins.

carver9
Ok let's break it down.

Grundy - Hulk

Similarities 7

Super Strength
Super Durability
Healing Factor
Low Intellect
Adapting Powers (Hulks are rather low)
Ripped Pants
Grey Skin Frankenstein look (Original Hulk)

Differencies 2

No alter ego for Grundy
Ressurection ability for Grundy

Hulk - Doomsday

Similarities 6

Super Strength
Super Durability
Healing Factor
Low Intellect
Adapting Powers

Differencies 3

No alter Ego for Doomsday
Ressurection ability for Doomsday
Boneclaws

Grundy - Doomsday

Similarities 8

Super Strength
Super Durability
Healing Factor
Low Intellect
Adapting Powers
No alter Ego
Ressurection ability

Differencies 1

Boneclaws

So I disagree with your assumption. Hulk is based on Grundy as much as Doomsday is based on Grundy, Hulk and Wolverine.

Lol...skin color. Anyways, I said what I had to say. Hulk and Doomsday are exactly alike. Let's move on please.

80sBaby
The only character which is even remotely unique in his own is silver surfer.

A cosmic being flying on a surfboard? Never one of those before.

Wasn't Surfer based on Black Racer (or the other way around?)

I remember reading that someplace but can't recall.

-Pr-

And Grundy isn't?

All of the justifications you're using to compare Doomsday and Hulk, could easily be the same if you swapped in Grundy for either one.

Not to mention how in portrayal, Grundy is far more like Hulk than Doomsday is.

You use one argument to say why Hulk and Doomsday are similar, but say that the exact same argument doesn't apply to Hulk and Grundy. Something fishy there.

In totality, Grundy and Hulk have more in common with each other than either of them has with Doomsday.

carver9
And Grundy isn't?

All of the justifications you're using to compare Doomsday and Hulk, could easily be the same if you swapped in Grundy for either one.

Not to mention how in portrayal, Grundy is far more like Hulk than Doomsday is.

You use one argument to say why Hulk and Doomsday are similar, but say that the exact same argument doesn't apply to Hulk and Grundy. Something fishy there.

In totality, Grundy and Hulk have more in common with each other than either of them has with Doomsday.

No...Grundy isn't as destructive as either Doomsday nor Hulk.

Grundy hasn't shown any of the things I've listed for Doomsday and Hulk minus strength.

Doomsday and Hulk.

Healing powers.
Strength amping via rage.
Jumping as a means of transportation.
Super speed.
Adapting

All of these are abilities that both of these two have and Grundy does not share.

Prof. T.C McAbe

Grundy hasn't shown any of the things I've listed for Doomsday and Hulk minus strength.

Doomsday and Hulk.

Healing powers.
Super speed.
Adapting

All of these are abilities that both of these two have and Grundy does not share.

I gave you a more accurate List, also Grundy does adapt when he dies, similar to Doomsday just to a lesser degree. While he has occasionally been destroyed, he has always returned to life sooner or later, though often with different personalities and powers.

Face it, Doomsday has far more in common with Grundy than with Hulk and Hulk has far more in common with Grundy, who inspired Hulk, than with Doomsday.

carver9
I gave you a more accurate List, also Grundy does adapt when he dies, similar to Doomsday just to a lesser degree. While he has occasionally been destroyed, he has always returned to life sooner or later, though often with different personalities and powers.

Face it, Doomsday has far more in common with Grundy than with Hulk and Hulk has far more in common with Grundy, who inspired Hulk, than with Doomsday.

Can you stop ruining your own thread please. Leave this to me and Pr. Also, show me Grundy adapting. Your list was off by the way. Terribly off (grayish color. Really).

-Pr-

Doomsday and Hulk.

Healing powers.
Super speed.
Adapting

You know how many people would also fall under that bracket?

Also, seriously, still with the whole powerset thing? You're not considering narrative purpose, portrayal or any of the things that matter just as much if not powerset.

I know you desperately want Hulk to be thought of the same way Doomsday is in DC (though I can't imagine why), but saying that he has so little in common with Grundy? Really?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Can you stop ruining your own thread please. Leave this to me and Pr. Also, show me Grundy adapting. Your list was off by the way. Terribly off (grayish color. Really).

I should leave it to you and Pr to ruin my thread? Really? WTF.

My list was more accurate than yours and I used every similarity, while you fail to aknwoledge the differences bewteen Hulk and Doomsday and the similarities between Doomsday and Grundy and the similarities between Hulk and Grundy.

Simple question. Who does Doomsday transforms into once not angry, what is his alter ego? Same question for Grundy. And now stop, we know your opinion and we know the facts, let's move on please.

Sin I AM
I think hulk is more akin to mr hyde than anything...but as far as Grundy. Id say he was more like grundt early on then he took on some of doomsdays characteristics

Back on topic strange and fate bumblebee and wasp ummmm i wanna say red hood and ws too

carver9
I should leave it to you and Pr to ruin my thread? Really? WTF.

My list was more accurate than yours and I used every similarity, while you fail to aknwoledge the differences bewteen Hulk and Doomsday and the similarities between Doomsday and Grundy and the similarities between Hulk and Grundy.

Simple question. Who does Doomsday transforms into once not angry, what is his alter ego? Same question for Grundy. And now stop, we know your opinion and we know the facts, let's move on please.

Yes..you jumped into a debate that didn't involve you.

Your list was jacked up. We are not talking about Banner here, we are talking about Hulk. Anyways, Doomsday and Hulk are pretty much the same character. One just looks different than the other.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Yes..you jumped into a debate that didn't involve you.

Your list was jacked up. We are not talking about Banner here, we are talking about Hulk. Anyways, Doomsday and Hulk are pretty much the same character. One just looks different than the other.

Carver pls shut up.

Let me fix your quote:

Your list was jacked up. We are not talking about power sets here, we are talking about Hulk. Anyways, Grundy and Hulk are pretty much the same character. One just looks different than the other.

Zack M
Originally posted by BeyonderGod
Catwoman>Black cat
Hawk eye > Green arrow

Green Arrow came before Hawkeye.

carver9
You know how many people would also fall under that bracket?

Also, seriously, still with the whole powerset thing? You're not considering narrative purpose, portrayal or any of the things that matter just as much if not powerset.

I know you desperately want Hulk to be thought of the same way Doomsday is in DC (though I can't imagine why), but saying that he has so little in common with Grundy? Really?

Not many tbh. Can't think of a character outside of Doomsday and Hulk that share those characteristics.

No! I'm talking about their personalities as well. Hulk is a rampaging monster which is the reason why the Avengers was formed from the getgo. Which is the reason Banner is always being watched. Why people run when Banner transforms or is ready to fight when he goes green. Hulk is a rampaging monster.

Lol...naah, it isn't desperation; I'm just speaking facts.

DarkSaint85
Lobo was inspired by Wolverine.

There, my contribution.

carver9
Carver pls shut up.

Let me fix your quote:

Your list was jacked up. We are not talking about power sets here, we are talking about Hulk. Anyways, Grundy and Hulk are pretty much the same character. One just looks different than the other.

Lol...I said my peace. I know the truth hurts.

DarkSaint85
Deadpool was a copy of Deathstroke.

The Sorrow
Doomsday is a blantant copy. Hulk wasn't a copy, maybe somewhat inspired by Grundy but moreso the Jekyll and Hyde story. Outside of the ripped pants, and large, lumbering build I wouldn't say they were similar.

Zack M
Doom Patrol came out before X-Men by a few months IIRC.
Challengers of the Unknown inspired Fantastic Four a little and that came before, too.

DarkSaint85
I'd say he was inspired, but not a copy. (Grundy/Hulk, that is).

Captain Atom inspired by Surfer?

-Pr-
Not many tbh. Can't think of a character outside of Doomsday and Hulk that share those characteristics.

No! I'm talking about their personalities as well. Hulk is a rampaging monster which is the reason why the Avengers was formed from the getgo. Which is the reason Banner is always being watched. Why people run when Banner transforms or is ready to fight when he goes green. Hulk is a rampaging monster.

Lol...naah, it isn't desperation; I'm just speaking facts.

Read more comics.

None of those things make him at all like Doomsday. Hell, I'd argue that you even got your points about Hulk somewhat off. I mean, when did you start reading Hulk comics?

Where? What facts? You can deny it all you like, but we both know the truth about your Doomsday fascination.

carver9
Read more comics.

None of those things make him at all like Doomsday. Hell, I'd argue that you even got your points about Hulk somewhat off. I mean, when did you start reading Hulk comics?

Where? What facts? You can deny it all you like, but we both know the truth about your Doomsday fascination.

Lol...come on Pr.

Anyways, this is a detailed bio of Hulk...a page of his bio. All of it isn't needed. Maybe this will help.

http://postimg.org/image/iykvts2kt/

I don't have an agenda against Doomsday. I'm speaking facts.

-Pr-
Lol...come on Pr.

Anyways, this is a detailed bio of Hulk...a page of his bio. All of it isn't needed. Maybe this will help.

http://postimg.org/image/iykvts2kt/

I don't have an agenda against Doomsday. I'm speaking facts.

lol, I know more about Hulk than you do, so please, don't try that silliness.

No, you love Doomsday and want people to look at Hulk the way Superman looks at Doomsday. Stop trying to make it happen; it isn't going to happen.

carver9
lol, I know more about Hulk than you do, so please, don't try that silliness.

No, you love Doomsday and want people to look at Hulk the way Superman looks at Doomsday. Stop trying to make it happen; it isn't going to happen.

Lol...That's not what I'm trying to do though. I'm providing clear evidence to my opinion. It doesn't matter. I said my piece on this. I don't have an agenda.

-Pr-
Lol...That's not what I'm trying to do though. I'm providing clear evidence to my opinion. It doesn't matter. I said my piece on this. I don't have an agenda.

This would be much easier if you were just honest, you know. Nobody would hold it against you if you said why you wanted Hulk to be seen like Doomsday.

We're all guilty of wanting our favourites to be different in at least some capacity.

Sin I AM
I think etrigan is kinda close to banner as well

DarkSaint85
Carver also wants his beloved character to be original.

Surtur
Colossus. They both have super strength and they are Grey.

So he inspired Colossus and Hulk, cool. At least no versions of Hulk are grey right?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Hulk like Grundy an DD are gey. So i illustrated this point already.

Grund and DD have the biggest similarities, especially the lack of an alter ego and the resurrection.

What about Kismet being inspired by Eternity?

carver9
Doomsday and Hulk are the same character with nothing being different. With that said, I'm glad I added him to my list.

Galan007
Hulk is definitely more of a Grundy ripoff, then Doomsday is a Hulk ripoff. Doomsday is an entirely different type of character, tbh.

But aside from those already mentioned:
-Deadpool/Deathstroke
-Deadshot/Bullseye
-Black-Cat/Catwoman
-Doctor Fate/Doctor Strange
-Green Arrow/Hawkeye
-Brainiac/Ultron
-Dick Grayson/Bucky Barnes
-Original Doom Patrol/Original X-Men
-Fantastic 4/Challengers of the Unknown
-Nova Corps/GLC
-Red Tornado/Vision

etc. etc.

Galan007
Just thought of another:
-Solar, Man of the Atom(Gold Key)/Silver Surfer/Doctor Manhattan

abhilegend
Originally posted by 80sBaby
Wasn't Surfer based on Black Racer (or the other way around?)

I remember reading that someplace but can't recall.
Black Racer came about 15 years later.

SquallX
5D Imps/Beyonders

Galan007
Black Racer came about 15 years later. I think you meant 5 years?

Silver Surfer=1966
Black Racer=1971

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Carver also wants his beloved character to be original.
laughing out loud

abhilegend
Originally posted by Galan007
I think you meant 5 years?

Silver Surfer=1966
Black Racer=1971
Yeah, typo.

Genii96
Aquaman...a namor ripoff

riv6672

How are these covers even similar? Because they both had blocky dated art?
I'm agreeing with Carver and BaV...

Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
I don't see Hulk as much of a copy of Grundy.

...and throwing in that Grundy actually took on more Hulk qualities over the years, as DC writers were inspired by the Marvel character.

Sin I AM
So much butt hurt in this thread

riv6672
^^^So, Wednesday then.

Surtur
I mean it is no shame if Hulk isn't an original character, but stop saying there is nothing different about Doomsday and Hulk.

Hell just the way their powers operate, Doomsday doesn't get stronger the angrier he gets, that is Hulk. He gets stronger by adapting and evolving to attacks that kill him. Sometimes he adapts to attacks on the fly. Hulk isn't known to suddenly gain a ranged attack if his opponent has one. He's also not thousands of years old. He's also not an alien.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by Sin I AM
So much butt hurt in this thread
thumb up

What about Ego and Mogo?

riv6672
Ego (1981) and Mogo (1985), different takes on the same concept. Likely someone at DC liked the sentient planet idea.

riv6672
The classic X-Men/Doom Patrol conundrum...

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2009/04/wait-did-x-men-really-rip-off-doom-patrol/

carver9
Originally posted by Surtur
I mean it is no shame if Hulk isn't an original character, but stop saying there is nothing different about Doomsday and Hulk.

Hell just the way their powers operate, Doomsday doesn't get stronger the angrier he gets, that is Hulk. He gets stronger by adapting and evolving to attacks that kill him. Sometimes he adapts to attacks on the fly. Hulk isn't known to suddenly gain a ranged attack if his opponent has one. He's also not thousands of years old. He's also not an alien.

Doomsday does get stronger the angrier he gets. This has been said on multiples of occasions. I even posted a scan saying this on page 1 or 2.

80sBaby
Black Racer came about 15 years later.

Oh, ok. So then Racer was inspired by Surfer then.

SquallX
Doomsday does get stronger the angrier he gets. This has been said on multiples of occasions. I even posted a scan saying this on page 1 or 2.

Since when?

Prof. T.C McAbe
DC inspired Marvel 25
Atom (October 1940) - Ant-Man (January 1962)
Batman (May 1939) - Moon Knight (August 1975)
Brainiac (July 1958) - Ultron (July 1968)
Catwoman (Spring 1940) - Black Cat (July 1979)
Challengers of the Unknown (Februar 1957) - Fantastic Four (November 1961)
Clayface (June 1940) - Sandman (September 1963)
Darkseid (November 1970) - Thanos (February 1973)
Deadshot (June 1950) - Bullseye (March 1976)
Deathstroke (December 1980) - Deadpool (February 1991)
Dick Grayson (April 1940) - Bucky Barnes (March 1941)
Doom Patrol (June 1963) - X-Men (September 1963)
Dr. Fate (May 1940) - Dr. Strange (July 1963)
Dr. Polaris (June 1963) - Magneto (September 1963)
Flash (January 1940) - Quicksilver (March 1964)
Green Lantern (July 1940) - Quasar (January 1978)
Green Lantern Corps (September 1959) - Nova Corps (March 1979)
Green Arrow (November 1941) - Hawkeye (September 1964)
Hawkman (January 1940) - Angel (September 1963)
Justice League of America (March 1960) - Squadron Supreme (February 1971)
Legion of Superheroes (April 1958) - Imperial Guard (October 1977)
Mister Mxyzptlk (September 1944) - Beyonder (May 1984)
Plastic Man (August 1941) - Elongated Man (May 1960) - Mr. Fantastic (November 1961)
Red Tornado (August 1968) - Vision Vision (October 1968)
Solomon Grundy (October 1944) - Hulk (May 1962) - Doomsday (November, 1992)
Superman (April 1938) - Captain Marvel (February 1940) - Miracleman (February 1954) - Captain Atom (March 1960) - Hyperion (October 1969) - Gladiator (October 1977) - Sentry (September 2000) - Blue Marvel (November 2008) - Sun God (May 2014)

Marvel inspired DC 12
Avengers (September 1963) - - Maximums (June 2005) - Retaliators (August 2014)
Captain America (March 1941) - The Guardian (April 1942)
Electro (February 1964) - Black Lightning (April 1977)
Ego (September 1966) - Mogo (May 1985)
Eternity (November 1965) - Kismet (September 1992)
Galactus (March 1966) - Imperiex (February 2000)
Ghost Rider (August 1972) - Atomic Skull (September 1976)
Man-Thing (May 1971) - Swamp Thing (July 1971)
Namor (April 1939) - Aquaman (November 1941)
Silver Surfer (March 1966) - Black Racer (July 1971)
Wasp (June 1963) - Bumblebee (December 1976)
Wolverine (October 1974) - Lobo (June 1983)

Others

Silver Surfer (March 1966) - Solar, Man of the Atom (October 1962)

I just counted once if the char inspired more than one character.

Surtur

95% of the time he isn't like that.

Zack M
I think Captain America was inspired by the Shield, which came out before.

Supermex
Doomsday is more like Hilk than Grundy being like Hulk is how i see it.

basilisk
DC inspired Marvel 25
Atom (October 1940) - Ant-Man (January 1962)
Batman (May 1939) - Moon Knight (August 1975)
Brainiac (July 1958) - Ultron (July 1968)
Catwoman (Spring 1940) - Black Cat (July 1979)
Challengers of the Unknown (Februar 1957) - Fantastic Four (November 1961)
Clayface (June 1940) - Sandman (September 1963)
Darkseid (November 1970) - Thanos (February 1973)
Deadshot (June 1950) - Bullseye (March 1976)
Deathstroke (December 1980) - Deadpool (February 1991)
Dick Grayson (April 1940) - Bucky Barnes (March 1941)
Doom Patrol (June 1963) - X-Men (September 1963)
Dr. Fate (May 1940) - Dr. Strange (July 1963)
Dr. Polaris (June 1963) - Magneto (September 1963)
Flash (January 1940) - Quicksilver (March 1964)
Green Lantern (July 1940) - Quasar (January 1978)
Green Lantern Corps (September 1959) - Nova Corps (March 1979)
Green Arrow (November 1941) - Hawkeye (September 1964)
Hawkman (January 1940) - Angel (September 1963)
Justice League of America (March 1960) - Squadron Supreme (February 1971)
Legion of Superheroes (April 1958) - Imperial Guard (October 1977)
Mister Mxyzptlk (September 1944) - Beyonder (May 1984)
Plastic Man (August 1941) - Elongated Man (May 1960) - Mr. Fantastic (November 1961)
Red Tornado (August 1968) - Vision Vision (October 1968)
Solomon Grundy (October 1944) - Hulk (May 1962) - Doomsday (November, 1992)
Superman (April 1938) - Captain Marvel (February 1940) - Miracleman (February 1954) - Captain Atom (March 1960) - Hyperion (October 1969) - Gladiator (October 1977) - Sentry (September 2000) - Blue Marvel (November 2008) - Sun God (May 2014)

Marvel inspired DC 12
Avengers (September 1963) - - Maximums (June 2005) - Retaliators (August 2014)
Captain America (March 1941) - The Guardian (April 1942)
Electro (February 1964) - Black Lightning (April 1977)
Ego (September 1966) - Mogo (May 1985)
Eternity (November 1965) - Kismet (September 1992)
Galactus (March 1966) - Imperiex (February 2000)
Ghost Rider (August 1972) - Atomic Skull (September 1976)
Man-Thing (May 1971) - Swamp Thing (July 1971)
Namor (April 1939) - Aquaman (November 1941)
Silver Surfer (March 1966) - Black Racer (July 1971)
Wasp (June 1963) - Bumblebee (December 1976)
Wolverine (October 1974) - Lobo (June 1983)

Others

Silver Surfer (March 1966) - Solar, Man of the Atom (October 1962)

I just counted once if the char inspired more than one character. Interesting list.

I wonder about some of them that were so close together that with the publishing lead time some sort of insider information would have to be involved, as otherwise they could not have copied the characters and got the comic on the racks so quickly. There has been some debate about that with DP/X-Men. Same with with Polaris/Magneto and Tornado/Vision.

DarkSaint85
FFS, even carver acknowledges Hulk is a copy of Grundy, you nerds.

Grundy is a weaker version of Savage Hulk.

Prof. T.C McAbe
^Deep down he does. Like he also acknowledges that DBZ Son Goku is also inspired by Superman.
Originally posted by basilisk
Interesting list.

I wonder about some of them that were so close together that with the publishing lead time some sort of insider information would have to be involved, as otherwise they could not have copied the characters and got the comic on the racks so quickly. There has been some debate about that with DP/X-Men. Same with with Polaris/Magneto and Tornado/Vision.

thumb up

Also the Man-Thing and Swamp Thing. Can it be that the creators used to talk with each other, friends or something like this or they took their inspirations from a similar source? Pulp Fiction etc.

basilisk
^Deep down he does. Like he also acknowledges that DBZ Son Goku is also inspired by Superman.

thumb up

Also the Man-Thing and Swamp Thing. Can it be that the creators used to talk with each other, friends or something like this or they took their inspirations from a similar source? Pulp Fiction etc. Yeah, Man-Thing and Swamp-Thing both came after Heap (? or some other swamp guy) so they were both kind of inspired by a previous comic. And Heap was inspired by some short story about a swamp muck creature from earlier still.

There have definitely been some claims over the years that creators did talk or leak various things here and there. Otherwise some of them just seem like downright bizarre coincidence.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.