Joss Whedon's Unproduced Wonder Woman Script

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firefly218
I've already read half of it and it's ****ing awesome, WB missed out. I say that not only as a Whedon fan, but as a person of taste. It's really good, give it a read if you want.

http://la-screenwriter.com/2015/01/26/unproduced-wonder-woman-script-by-joss-whedon/

Darth Thor
^ I don't wanna get down over what could have been.

I mean Joss Whedon would be perfect for something like Wonder Woman. Don't have to be a genius to see that.

WB/DC did miss out.

BruceSkywalker
don't tell Golgo you are saying this...

lmao

Firefly218
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ I don't wanna get down over what could have been.

I mean Joss Whedon would be perfect for something like Wonder Woman. Don't have to be a genius to see that.

WB/DC did miss out.

That's perfectly reasonable, it's a really fun read though. I'm almost tempted to say Joss Whedon was a better fit for Wonder Woman than for Avengers, that's something we'll never know.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Firefly218
That's perfectly reasonable, it's a really fun read though. I'm almost tempted to say Joss Whedon was a better fit for Wonder Woman than for Avengers, that's something we'll never know.

It's been clear since his work on Buffy he's a perfect fit for a Female lead hero lead and for an ensemble cast.

So both. It was just a matter of which big studio trusted him first.

Firefly218
It's been clear since his work on Buffy he's a perfect fit for a Female lead hero lead and for an ensemble cast.

So both. It was just a matter of which big studio trusted him first.
thumb up

He definitely proved he's expert working with ensembles in TV and would seem like a logical choice for Avengers. I'm just saying the Wonder Woman script reads a whole lot better than the Avengers script. I say this as someone who considers Avengers the greatest comic book film of all time...

juggerman
Just read this and all I can say is "WOW". Now I feel like the movie we get won't hold a candle to this.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
don't tell Golgo you are saying this...

lmao

Poor Golgo kept telling me they rightly pulled the plug on WW because according to WB Joss's script/story wasn't very good. But I never bought that.

NemeBro

So both. It was just a matter of which big studio trusted him first. Whedon's frankly not particularly good at writing female lead heroes, to be honest.

It's no accident that his two greatest artistic achievements in television, Angel and Firefly, star male leads.

Firefly218
Originally posted by juggerman
Just read this and all I can say is "WOW". Now I feel like the movie we get won't hold a candle to this.
thumb up Riiight!!! This Gal Gadot one will probably go much darker we'll see...

ares834
No problem with it being darker. Azzarello just wrote what I consider to be the best WW run of all time and it is dark and serious.

Firefly218
Originally posted by NemeBro
Whedon's frankly not particularly good at writing female lead heroes, to be honest.

It's no accident that his two greatest artistic achievements in television, Angel and Firefly, star male leads.
Also Daniel Day Lewis mails in too many performances and John Williams struggles composing memorable scores.

Firefly218
Originally posted by ares834
No problem with it being darker. Azzarello just wrote what I consider to be the best WW run of all time and it is dark and serious.
If anything this iteration has to be darker to fit into a cinematic universe. Whedon's script is stand alone.

ares834
If anything this iteration has to be darker to fit into a cinematic universe. Whedon's script is stand alone.

It seemed you were insinuating that it would be worse simply because it was darker, which I was disagreeing with. Regardless, this film doesn't have to be darker to fit into the DCU. These films can all have very different tones.

With that said, I expect it will be darker.

Firefly218
It seemed you were insinuating that it would be worse simply because it was darker, which I was disagreeing with. Regardless, this film doesn't have to be darker to fit into the DCU. These films can all have very different tones.

With that said, I expect it will be darker.
I would presume that if Wonder Woman takes place in modern times it will have a dark tone, anything else would be too jarring compared to her iteration in Superman vs Batman. If it takes place in the far past it'll have more liberty to have a naive and light Wonder Woman. Either way, I doubt Her characterization will be similar to Whedon's version. Which is a shame IMO

Zack M
Poor Golgo kept telling me they rightly pulled the plug on WW because according to WB Joss's script/story wasn't very good. But I never bought that.

Those were die hard wonder woman fans. Not me. Never read the script.

ares834
I would presume that if Wonder Woman takes place in modern times it will have a dark tone, anything else would be too jarring compared to her iteration in Superman vs Batman. If it takes place in the far past it'll have more liberty to have a naive and light Wonder Woman. Either way, I doubt Her characterization will be similar to Whedon's version. Which is a shame IMO

Wouldn't be jarring at all. It's an entirely different movie.

Firefly218
Wouldn't be jarring at all. It's an entirely different movie.
Same character and same time period = jarring It's gotta be consistent

ares834
Same character and same time period = jarring It's gotta be consistent

Because CA:TWS had the same tone as Avengers right? They can do pretty much whatever they want. Especially since WW is apparently a side character in BvS.

Firefly218
Because CA:TWS had the same tone as Avengers right? They can do pretty much whatever they want. Especially since WW is apparently a side character in BvS.
Wow you're salty af. TWS was different from Avengers in that generically it incorporated more spy/thriller elements as opposed to war/fantasy. While both films have superheroes, they're in different genres. The MCU tone is still consistent between the two though. You seem to have misconstrued tone with genre. Granted certain genres do have conventions as to tone, when it comes to Marvel it's pretty consistent. Bat v Supes looks like it'll feature a mature, developed and dangerous Wonder Woman - to have another movie feature the same character in the same period more naive, young and fresh absolutely would be jarring to me at least.

ares834
Salty?

And no, the two films have very different tones as well. Avengers is significantly lighter and more comedic film.

But yes, changing the characterization of the character would be jarring. Looking back I seem to have misunderstood you and took your mention of Wonder Woman to be a reference to the film rather than the character herself. As for the films itself, they can do whatever the wish with it.

NemeBro
Also Daniel Day Lewis mails in too many performances and John Williams struggles composing memorable scores. I accept your concession. thumb up

Firefly218
That's kind of a sweeping statement. Both Avengers and TWS had an abundance of comedic moments peppered with sequences of serious action. TWS feels more gritty than Avengers because it's less fantasy and more grounded, TWS doesn't have to deal with fantastical characters like Thor or Hulk. Because TWS is more grounded it can focus on being a political thriller type film. Doesn't mean the tone is in stark contrast to Avengers. Just admit you're wrong.

Firefly218
Originally posted by NemeBro
I accept your concession. thumb up
Happy Christmas

ares834
That's kind of a sweeping statement. Both Avengers and TWS had an abundance of comedic moments peppered with sequences of serious action. TWS feels more gritty than Avengers because it's less fantasy and more grounded, TWS doesn't have to deal with fantastical characters like Thor or Hulk. Because TWS is more grounded it can focus on being a political thriller type film. Doesn't mean the tone is in stark contrast to Avengers. Just admit you're wrong.

Nah.

Firefly218
Nah.
It would've been much easier to type no

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.