Starscream vs Soundwave

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Soundwave seemed competent, and was certainly more loyal to Megatron, but Starscream has been the second in command for every single incarnation of Transformers since the beggining.. Must be a reason for that besides "keep your enemies close".

In a fight, who wins?

deathslash
Sound wave every single time. Starscream is a master planner and is certainly above the average bots, but in combat, he doesn't hold any semblance of a chance against the elites.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by deathslash
Sound wave every single time. Starscream is a master planner and is certainly above the average bots, but in combat, he doesn't hold any semblance of a chance against the elites.

thumb up

Especially if Soundwave utilizes Rumble, Ravage and the others that reside within him; Soundwave carries his own personal strike/espionage force with him at all times...

Q99
Depends on the version. In IDW, I think it'd really be up in the air, with Soundwave perhaps a bit tougher but Starscream having shown more skill and trickery- he took down another high armor and firepower type, Turmoil, while Starscream was wounded. He also didn't have too much problem with Slag the Dinobot.

In IDW, both Soundwave and Starscream are in the 'below point-one-percenters (Optimus, Megatron, Shockwave, Grimlock, etc.), but above most everyone else,' tier, IMO, especially in some of his stronger bodies.

Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
thumb up

Especially if Soundwave utilizes Rumble, Ravage and the others that reside within him; Soundwave carries his own personal strike/espionage force with him at all times...

Oh, well, yea, if you give him a whole team ^^

In IDW, Shockwave faced Soundwave, and tried to make sure Soundwave was sans cassettes before attacking, on the basis that Soundwave couldn't beat him without them... only Soundwave actually had his team in reserve.

But it's not like they're drones, they're other people he carries with him, his team. If you give him his team, you may as well give Starscream his Seeker trio, Skywarp and Thundercracker.

TheLordofMurder
@Q99

While I do agree with you that Soundwaves cassettes are not drones, they are typically with him; unless they've been sent out on some solo and/or team mission by Soundwave or Megatron...

Starscream has his guys with him on a far less frequent basis than Soundwave does...

Would it be fair to say that Soundwaves cassettes are "standard gear" since they are with him most of the time, while Starscreams fellow jets are not?

AlmightyKfish
If we're talking IDW I'd give Starscream the win. As mentioned when he killed Turmoil and a bunch of other times, Starscream was the leader of the Seekers as he was one of the best Decepticon fighters. The only Decepticons I'd place above him would be the .01%ers and Phase Sixers.

But yeah as mentioned if Soundwave has Ravage and co with him he can probably get the win.

cdtm
Originally posted by Q99

Oh, well, yea, if you give him a whole team ^^

In IDW, Shockwave faced Soundwave, and tried to make sure Soundwave was sans cassettes before attacking, on the basis that Soundwave couldn't beat him without them... only Soundwave actually had his team in reserve.

But it's not like they're drones, they're other people he carries with him, his team. If you give him his team, you may as well give Starscream his Seeker trio, Skywarp and Thundercracker.

Has there ever been a time he didn't have some cassettes on him?

Could see it happening, though. It just so happens on the same day, Laserbeak and Buzzsaw are out spying, Rumble and Frenzie off with the Constructicons, Ratbat busy crunching energon rations for the cause, and Ravage doing who knows what (He had a tendency to go off on his own, hunting humans and such.).

But I like the sound of a Seekers vs Soundwave and tapes battle. How do you see that going?

Random thought: Coneheads, the other jet trio, got no love at all. Always wanted to see a feud between the two groups.

Q99
@Q99

While I do agree with you that Soundwaves cassettes are not drones, they are typically with him; unless they've been sent out on some solo and/or team mission by Soundwave or Megatron...

Starscream has his guys with him on a far less frequent basis than Soundwave does...

Would it be fair to say that Soundwaves cassettes are "standard gear" since they are with him most of the time, while Starscreams fellow jets are not?

They're still part of his *team*, with their own personalities who do go off and do their own things not too rarely, even if they're one of the more commonly-together teams

Like, during All Hail Megatron, they were split up to make sure every Decepticon force had jamming.

Right now in the comics, Ravage is off with Megatron on the Lost Light, and Soundwave has done a couple things on Earth while the cassettes hang out on the Decepticon space station.

Both Soundwave's confrontation with Cosmos and his talk with Thundercracker had no cassettes present.

To talk cartoons, his confrontations with Blaster tend not to have them present. First time was a music fight. Final battle in Headmasters, no cassettes either. I think the cassette teams only got deployed against each other once...

I wanna point out the irony of this line of discussion because one of the big reasons why Soundwave joined the Decepticons in IDW is because the Cybertronian Senate didn't really 'count' cassettes as independent people ^^

I figured they're kinda the next tier down. Thundercracker and Skywarp have special powers, Starscream's quite skillful, while the Coneheads are fairly straightforward. Better than other seekers, but below the 'elite 3'.

Dirge did get some nice focus in the Robots in Disguise comic. Spotlight: Ramjet was hilarious. And right now in the comic formerly known as RiD, there's some copy-coneheads.

I think it depends a bit on how well the Seekers can use their maneuverability. Skywarp can teleport and take out any one Cassette one-on-one, and Thundercracker's speed is an issue, but if the cassettes can successfully focus, and if they can get one of them on the ground so that Ravage, Frenzy, and Rumble can properly get into the fray, they'll win.

A real possibility though, is the Seekers knock Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, and Ratbat out of the air and use their flight to strafe and take out the grounded ones. Honestly I lean that way, but it's far from a certainty, if the flier cassettes can simply knock down one early on they're in relatively good shape.

It's an 'either side could win' fight.

Martian_mind
I tentatively back Soundwave.

Unless this is Transformers Prime. Then Soundwave ****ing stomps.

deathslash
Originally posted by Martian_mind
I tentatively back Soundwave.

Unless this is Transformers Prime. Then Soundwave ****ing stomps. yep. Wasn't transformers prime also tied into the video games as well?

Martian_mind
Yep, they're considered part of a loosely shared continuity.

DarkSaint85
Personal fav is Soundwave, always has been, over all other Transformers.

So yeah, this time, I'm being biased.

Q99
Since this is the comic forum, there's three main comic continuities to talk about.

G1, where I'd put Soundwave on top (though not by as much as the cartoon version).

Dreamwave where, I dunno, never really read it, it's supposed to be G1 based though so likely the same.

And IDW where, as mentioned, Starscream has gotten pretty impressive and all in all it's a nice fight where I think I edge Starscream, at least in his strongest bodies (he gets some upgrades during the comic. Original, Soundwave may win).

cdtm
Starscream actually took down Megatron under Furman's "UK Galvatron" series. smile

Ambush, but still. Furman wrote a pretty buff Megatron.

As for Dreamwave, Starscream did impressive things with his Null Ray. Like doing more damage to Sunstorm then just about anyone, after a few adjustments.

Estacado
Transformers Prime Soundwave was phuckin boss!

I remember him kicking everyones ass in.the animated.

Im giving him the win here.

He is also my 2nd fave decepticon.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Personal fav is Soundwave, always has been, over all other Transformers.

So yeah, this time, I'm being biased.

thumb up

We dont see eye to eye on alot, but we are in full agreement as pertains Soundwave; he's my all time favorite Transformer as well...

Out of the 1st major wave of Transformer toys, Soundwave was the best; followed closely by Prime...

Megatron was awesome as a gun, but looked awful as a robot; Soundwave looked cool as a robot and as a radio......

Soundwave=G.O.A.T.

Edit: I gotta admit though, when Shockwave (as a toy) came out, it blew my mind how awesome he was; he was the best Transformers toy I had ever seen at the time and for a long time afterwards...

Estacado

Edit: I gotta admit though, when Shockwave blew my mind how awesome he was; he was the best Transformers.

thumb up

DarkSaint85
thumb up

We dont see eye to eye on alot, but we are in full agreement as pertains Soundwave; he's my all time favorite Transformer as well...

Out of the 1st major wave of Transformer toys, Soundwave was the best; followed closely by Prime...

Megatron was awesome as a gun, but looked awful as a robot; Soundwave looked cool as a robot and as a radio......

Soundwave=G.O.A.T.

Edit: I gotta admit though, when Shockwave (as a toy) came out, it blew my mind how awesome he was; he was the best Transformers toy I had ever seen at the time and for a long time afterwards...

Maybe....you're not ALL bad ;-)

I have a Soundwave toy that transforms into an MP3 player.

Q99
Originally posted by cdtm
Starscream actually took down Megatron under Furman's "UK Galvatron" series. smile

Ambush, but still. Furman wrote a pretty buff Megatron.

As for Dreamwave, Starscream did impressive things with his Null Ray. Like doing more damage to Sunstorm then just about anyone, after a few adjustments.

Yea, the comics generally have treated Starscream better than the shows.

And of course there's Underbase Starscream ^^

cdtm
Godscream. Or Jason Vorscream, maybe. smile

That story was like Transformers meets Friday the 13th. Something like 10 times the body count of the movie.

Screamer was supposed to be pretty powerful when Megatron resurrected him, as well. Was manhandling Powermaster Prime, and shrugged off Scorp's tail beam. I bet he was MUCH stronger then Megatron.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Maybe....you're not ALL bad ;-)

I have a Soundwave toy that transforms into an MP3 player.

Nice!

thumb up

deathslash
Wow. A thread in which we all pass around compliments and equally respect both combatants? That's really rare.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by deathslash
Wow. A thread in which we all pass around compliments and equally respect both combatants? That's really rare.

thumb up

Transformers brings out the best in people! :-)

psycho gundam
G1 Soundwave would wreck Starscream

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.