Ranking Star Wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CPT Space Bomb
In honor of The Force Awakens opening next week, let's reminisce about the series' films so far. List your top six and if you want, explain why:

Here we go...

6) Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - This movie introduced the midichlorians and Jar Jar Binks. Even the epic light sabre fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul couldn't erase that.

5) Episode 2: Attack of the Clones - I would have rated this lower than Menace, had it not been for Obi-Wan's story in this being slightly more redeeming than the former's sins. However, the AMAZINGLY bad CGI that was EVERYWHERE in this movie, along with Manakin Skywalkers wooden acting, make this one hard to watch.

4) Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - This movie is not without it's sins either, but it was a much better film than the 2 that preceded it. Anakin was still cringe-worthy at times, but not as bad. It also featured one of the top 3 light sabre fights in the entire series imo. Some things were a bit forced, but the movie is by far the best of the prequels.

3) Episode 6: Return of the Jedi - While this movie has my all time favorite lightsabre fight (Luke and Darth Vader's final battle), it also unfortunately gave us the Ewoks. But the little fury bastiches weren't enough to derail the movie completely. An awesome space battle at the end with the Emperor and Empire seemingly meeting their demise; this movie had just enough going for it to elevate it beyond prequel ranks.

2) Episode 4: A New Hope - Some would argue this is the best Star Wars film, and that can be argued. This is the film that introduced us to Luke, Obi-Wan, Leia, Darth Vader and of course, Han Solo. It gave us a universe of imagination and took itself seriously enough that we believe it could have existed in a galaxy, far far away.

1) Episode 2: The Empire Strikes Back - This, to me, is the best Star Wars movie. It doesn't have the best of any one thing; in my opinion, it does do EVERYTHING just a little bit better. It improved upon an already great story with tense fights and made us question the fates of all involved. Also, the Vader is Luke's father reveal is still one of the all time most powerful movie revelations. This movie improved upon the already great special effects of the first one, and cemented Star Wars as a legitimate IP instead of a one hit wonder.

What's your rankings?

ares834
Mine is similar to yours:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. RotJ
4. RotS
5. TPM
6. AotC

dadudemon
Here are mine:

1. Revenge of the Sith - This was a darker Star Wars than any of the others. A feel that I very much enjoyed. The story, characters, and character development...just majestic. The action and especially the epic saber duel between Anakin and Obi Wan were the best in the series. I loved the comedy tid-bits as they didn't feel as stale as the comedy from the other OT and PT films.

2. Attack of the Clones - Really enjoyable story. May be the best story from all 6 films but, as others have pointed out, some of the acting (and, frankly, some of the lines were not the best) holds this back from being the best film. Special Effects, saber duels, colors, creatures, etc. All of it, amazing. Among the very best of what Star Wars has to offer.

3. Return of the Jedi - This was, by far, the best Star Wars film from the OT. Excellent acting, character development, lines, Special Effects, creatures, flora, etc. Great film. Excellent film. But it is held back from being the greatest because of some poor acting at times and cliched and predictable ending. However, it is the ending we all wanted. It was the obvious ending. I also enjoyed the darker elements of this film. As a child, I had lots of merch from this movie. The only other merch I had from Star Wars was the Jawa stuffed animal that had the eyes that lit up.

4. Phantom Menace - Some bland acting and lines in this one prevent it from making the top 3. The first 2 times I saw this film, it was the best Star Wars movie (this was before Attack of the Clones came out). But as I've gotten older, I dropped this one to my #4. Still, amazing special effects, story, saber duels, etc. It was everything I wanted from a Star Wars movie and then some.

5. Star Wars: A New Hope - This was definitely the most fun out of the 6. However, absolutely atrocious acting, at times, and some insufferable characters makes this drop out of the top 3. It had some classic cheesy moments and also some interesting plot introduction to the Force. Jedi were so amazing. This set the foundations for all films to come after and it will always be the film that was the most exciting, the first time I saw it, out of all the others. Nothing will top the first experience with Star Wars like watching a New Hope, for me.

6. Empire Strikes Back - Some irritating and stupid plot points and the worst acting in the whole series keeps this from making the top 3. What further drags this movie down the list is the movie drags on at times. Keep in mind, the first time I saw this, I thought it was the best film ever made. But as I get older and my opinion more refined, I liked this one less and less. But just because this is #6 does not mean I disliked this movie. All of the movies are solid 9s out of 10 in my book. It is just me rating which ones I loved more than the others. Empire Strikes Back had some of the most memorable and iconic moments from all 6 films. And, for me, the one character that really stood out as being very well developed is Lando. Such an excellent character. You hate him but love him. You understand his motivations. You want to hate him for those but you just can't. You just have to like him.

I'm excited for the new Star Wars film. I hope it takes my #1 spot. But I don't have my hopes up that high. If it makes it into #7 slot, but still gets a 9, I'll be happy. Something tells me I should see this film, at least, break the top 5 on the list. wink

Inhuman
I have a bad feeling about this....thread

I agree with the reasoning with the first 3 posters lists. Even though they are ranked different. I agree on a lot of their points. thumb up
I dont know how I would rank them tbh. I love and hate some of the things they did in the OG trilogy and Prequels evenly.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by Inhuman
I have a bad feeling about this....thread

I agree with the reasoning with the first 3 posters lists. Even though they are ranked different. I agree on a lot of their points. thumb up
I dont know how I would rank them tbh. I love and hate some of the things they did in the OG trilogy and Prequels evenly.
Haha. No worries. We all will have different views on these movies. It's all in good fun...I hope.

-Pr-
6. AOTC - The collisseum scene is probably the only redeeming part of the entire movie
5. TPM - That fight, and it not being as bad as AOTC.
4. ROTS - Some decent scenes, even if the final battle had, imo, poor choreography.
3. ANH - Arguably the best of the six. It had its problems, but most of Lucas' insanity was reined in by guys far more experienced than he was.
2. ESB - The most well made of the movies, and Vader really comes in to his own in this movie, imo. Yoda's intro was amazing. Plus, dat Hoth scene.
1. ROTJ - Has, for my money, the single best Star Wars sequence ever (Luke, Vader and Emperor on the Death Star). Everything from the acting to the direction to the music was just on point, and a satisfying ending to the original trilogy.

Also, Ewoks are awesome.

Inhuman
Originally posted by -Pr-
Also, Ewoks are awesome.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/AibiChan/animatedthings/ewok.gif

-Pr-
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/AibiChan/animatedthings/ewok.gif

Yeah, that's right.

Inhuman
That Ewok probably pet that kid to death

Impediment
Best to worst, IMO:

Empire
New Hope
Jedi
Revenge
Clones
Menace

-Pr-
That Ewok probably pet that kid to death

Savage little bastards, they are.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ares834
Mine is similar to yours:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. RotJ
4. RotS
5. TPM
6. AotC

wakkawakkawakka
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Star Wars
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Phantom Menace

Darth Thor
It's hard for me tbh. Don't really like ranking the Original SW against any of it's Sequels/Prequels because that was the movie that started it all (and changed cinema). It was a genius family friendly fantasy/adventure taken to a whole new level.

As for the rest, it's all Star Wars to me. Each one gives us another piece of the jigsaw. Another part of the greatest movie franchise ever made.

For instance A lot of people say ESB is by far the best. But fact is ESB isn't actually a proper movie (or even story) on it's own. It needs ANH and ROTJ to define it, because it's simply a middle chapter.

Anyway if I had to rank the Sequels/Prequels it would be something like this:

1. Empire
2. Sith- (sometimes change my mind and put this on par with Empire. But I think I give Empire the edge most the time).
3. Jedi- (Just slightly behind Sith tbh, but enjoy it as much).
4. Menace (I remember when I first saw it, couldn't get the Duel of the Fates music out of my head. And Jar Jar honestly didn't bother me much).

5. Clones- this one is actually the easiest for me to rank. It's definitely my least favourite. Even though Ewan's performance as Obi-Wan was fantastic (and a massive improvement from Menace), and Christopher Lee brought his usual gravitas, I just felt on the whole it was a filler episode.

relentless1
6. A New Hope- String me up, hate all you want, Episode 4 is the most boring one. Too much expository, Luke is just as whiny as Anakin and the lightsaber fight between Obi Wan and Vader sucked balls.

5. Phantom Menace- Also quite boring with tons of expository and the pod race went overly long and really dragged the film down but at least it had whats tied for the best fight in the series between Darth Maul and the combo of Obi Wan and Qui Gon. Plus it was the first movie to show the Jedi in their prime.

4. Attack of the Clones- As boring and shitty as the love story is, Obi Wans detective story and the final battle that kicks off the Clone Wars added to the coolness of seeing Yoda throw down with Count Dooku saves its rating for me.

3. Empire Strikes Back- nothing really bad to say about this one, its done very well but its just not as well liked as the last two in my list.

2. Return of the Jedi- FINALLY, Luke becomes a badass Jedi! We finally come to the climax with Luke, Vader and the Emperor. The Ewoks sucked but they aren't enough to take away from the coolness that happened in the Emperors throne room that day.

1. Revenge of the Sith- Now I may be a bit biased because I think that Darth Sidious is the greatest character by far in this whole series but this movie takes the top spot because its the darkest, with the most action, the bad guy wins and the emotion the Ewan MacGregor brought to Obi Wan when he had to fight and maim his best friend was gold. Plus it showed what I had always suspected: the Jedi are just as at fault for the Empire as the Sith, they were only human too, they suffered from hubris.

NotAllThatEvil
My favorite scene in all of star wars is when they find vader in cloud city. I just love how calm vader is when he dissarms han.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
It's hard for me tbh. Don't really like ranking the Original SW against any of it's Sequels/Prequels because that was the movie that started it all (and changed cinema). It was a genius family friendly fantasy/adventure taken to a whole new level.

As for the rest, it's all Star Wars to me. Each one gives us another piece of the jigsaw. Another part of the greatest movie franchise ever made.

For instance A lot of people say ESB is by far the best. But fact is ESB isn't actually a proper movie (or even story) on it's own. It needs ANH and ROTJ to define it, because it's simply a middle chapter.

Anyway if I had to rank the Sequels/Prequels it would be something like this:

1. Empire
2. Sith- (sometimes change my mind and put this on par with Empire. But I think I give Empire the edge most the time).
3. Jedi- (Just slightly behind Sith tbh, but enjoy it as much).
4. Menace (I remember when I first saw it, couldn't get the Duel of the Fates music out of my head. And Jar Jar honestly didn't bother me much).

5. Clones- this one is actually the easiest for me to rank. It's definitely my least favourite. Even though Ewan's performance as Obi-Wan was fantastic (and a massive improvement from Menace), and Christopher Lee brought his usual gravitas, I just felt on the whole it was a filler episode. Empire isn't even close to Rots. Consider yourself warned.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by quanchi112
Empire isn't even close to Rots. Consider yourself warned. Eh, let him like what he likes lol. What's your list Quan? Interested to see.

quanchi112
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Eh, let him like what he likes lol. What's your list Quan? Interested to see. He even openly admits he is a flip flopper. I don't respect that or him.

quanchi112
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Phantom Menace
6. A New Hope

CPT Space Bomb
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Phantom Menace
6. A New Hope Cool. Yah, Revenge and Return probably had my 2 favorite light sabre battles of all time.

quanchi112
Cool. Yah, Revenge and Return probably had my 2 favorite light sabre battles of all time. Give me your top five favorite Star Wars characters.

CPT Space Bomb
Give me your top five favorite Star Wars characters.
Dunno if I have a true top 5 but I'll give it a shot:

1. Luke Skywalker
2. Obi-Wan
3. Darth Vader
4. Han Solo
5. Yoda

relentless1
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Phantom Menace
6. A New Hope

good taste dude, exact same order as me

relentless1
Give me your top five favorite Star Wars characters.

Top 5 all time would be:

1. Darth Sidious
2. Darth Vader > Anakin
3. Obi Wan
4. Yoda
5. Luke (ep3)

Mindset
EP1 is the best because it had podracing.

Lord Lucien
I lik teh pods wen day go fast

Bashar Teg
Jedi
Empire
A New Hope
Star Wars Holiday Special
Ewok Adventures
George Lucas' Colonoscopy
The Prequel Trilogy

relentless1
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
Jedi
Empire
A New Hope
Star Wars Holiday Special
Ewok Adventures
George Lucas' Colonoscopy
The Prequel Trilogy

People that absolutely hate the prequels aren't true Star Wars fans IMO, sure theres a few problems there but overall they enriched the backstory of the Sith and the Jedi and frankly, they are by far the best part of the entire series; how cool would the OT have been without the Force or lightsabers? Not very, and the Prequels told the story of the coolest aspects of the mythology in their prime.

Mindset
The prequels are garbage and anyone who likes them is garbage.

relentless1
Originally posted by Mindset
The prequels are garbage and anyone who likes them is garbage.

looks like we have another bandwagon jumper, go nerd out to Star Trek ya poser

Mindset
I'm not on any bandwagon, you sentient refuse.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by relentless1
People that absolutely hate the prequels aren't true Star Wars fans IMO ? Actually, alot of people would argue that those who like the prequels aren't true Star Wars fans.

Now, I'm of the belief that people can like what they want...obviously it's all opinion.

quanchi112
? Actually, alot of people would argue that those who like the prequels aren't true Star Wars fans.

Now, I'm of the belief that people can like what they want...obviously it's all opinion. Darth Thor often does this and tries to speak based off his perception of Star Wars alone. Close minded individual.

Impediment
Episodes II and III were decent, I'll admit.

Episode I was utter shit.

The pod race, well, was probably the best part.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by Impediment
The pod race, well, was probably the best part. No love for the Darth Maul light sabre fight?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
My favorite scene in all of star wars is when they find vader in cloud city. I just love how calm vader is when he dissarms han.

Oh man I love that scene. Han Solo was cool about it as well- starts firing right away, then goes "Well I'm sorry too"

Darth Thor
Cool. Yah, Revenge and Return probably had my 2 favorite light sabre battles of all time.

Revenge and Return are a great combo to watch together. Watch Vader fall then get redeemed by Luke. Watch the Emperor take over the Galaxy, then get overthrown by his own arrogance.

Edit- Oops didn't mean to double post.

Darth Thor
People that absolutely hate the prequels aren't true Star Wars fans IMO

As someone who loves both Trilogies I wouldn't say that. Each Star Wars film is very different, so some are bound to appeal to people more than others.

However I can't stand people who Hate on Lucas as a film maker due to their distaste of the Prequels. It's like they completely forget he created the OT as well.

Btw I notice you've put ANH bottom of your list. I can understand watching it now it can seem like the least entertaining, but I just hope you appreciate how that movie changed cinema and changed the fantasy/adventure genre and changed pop culture. Oh and it's the film that gave us Star Wars in the first place.

And for people who hate the Prequels I hope they at least appreciate what the Prequels did for Special Effects. TPM pretty much had the same impact on special effects back in 1999 that Avatar had 10 years on, but doesn't seem to get the same credit for that.

Edit- Oh crap did it again.

Bashar Teg
People that absolutely hate the prequels aren't true Star Wars fans IMO

yeah im one of those fake fans who loves the originals. you'll fit right in, here. thumb up

Darth Thor
There's only 1 fake fan here and we all know who he is.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Best to worst, IMO:

Empire
New Hope
Jedi
Revenge
Clones
Menace

spot on

Mindset
I think we can all agree that pod racing is the best thing that has come from SW.

quanchi112
There's only 1 fake fan here and we all know who he is. Goad you outed yourself, pretender.

quanchi112
As someone who loves both Trilogies I wouldn't say that. Each Star Wars film is very different, so some are bound to appeal to people more than others.

However I can't stand people who Hate on Lucas as a film maker due to their distaste of the Prequels. It's like they completely forget he created the OT as well.

Btw I notice you've put ANH bottom of your list. I can understand watching it now it can seem like the least entertaining, but I just hope you appreciate how that movie changed cinema and changed the fantasy/adventure genre and changed pop culture. Oh and it's the film that gave us Star Wars in the first place.

And for people who hate the Prequels I hope they at least appreciate what the Prequels did for Special Effects. TPM pretty much had the same impact on special effects back in 1999 that Avatar had 10 years on, but doesn't seem to get the same credit for that.

Edit- Oh crap did it again. That is his list so don't you dare tell him to switch it you pretender.

queeq
I think ROTJ and ROTS are on an equal level. They both have very good bits and very bad bits.

For me AOTC ranks at the very bottom of the SW list. The most obsolete SW movie ever made to date. And it fails to deliver on the only two plot points it needs to deliver: the origin of the clone program (and I don't mean who actually makes them, but who ordered them and why) and the totally terrible love story that causes Anakin to fall.

Big, major uberphail there. Although it's one of the prettiest of the PT, these major storytelling flaws make it tumble all the way to the bottom for me. Compared to AOTC TPM begins to make sense.

Impediment
No love for the Darth Maul light sabre fight?

Yeah, it was good but I enjoyed the intensity of the race better.

carthage
ROTJ
Empire
ANH
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

Darth Thor
For me the OT is the greatest Trilogy of all time.

But the PT doesn't devalue the SW franchise at all Imo. And only adds to the OT making it the greatest movie franchise of all time. And I'm sure Ep.7 will boost the franchise further.

Originally posted by queeq
I think ROTJ and ROTS are on an equal level.

thumb up They are. And they're a great duo to watch back to back.

Emperordmb
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Phantom Menace
6. A New Hope
As much as I disagree with a lot of your statements in regards to SW, this is basically the exact same list I have.

queeq
ANH below AOTC and TPM? Wow... that is so... incredible.

Darth Thor

I think with it being the oldest of the films some of the younger lot don't appreciate what a classic it is, and how that movie basically changes cinema.

-Pr-
That, and it's a solid movie with good performances. It has a simple story, sure, but it's done incredibly well.

relentless1
honestly, take off the nostalgia lenses for a sec... Star Wars as a franchise had its legacy cemented Empire Strikes Back, without that film, Star Wars would have been another Dune... had ESB been a failure, had the story not been up to standard then both films would be a lot less regarded and loved as they are today. Yes, I know Star Wars was huge when it first opened, kids and adults alike were on board and loving it...so it was for Avatar....both films introduced mind blowing spectacle that captured the imagination of the movie going world. The major difference with the two is that Star Wars had an great sequel with possibly the greatest twist in cinema history; that was what made the Star Wars franchise timeless, not the first one, looking back on it now with unbiased eyes A New Hope is bland, aged horribly, too much exposition, not enough visceral action and wooden acting by a lot of the cast save for Harrison Ford really. I respect it for breaking ground and creating this series that I love but other than that its not highly rated on its own merit for me at all.

ares834
Nope.

Darth Thor
honestly, take off the nostalgia lenses for a sec... Star Wars as a franchise had its legacy cemented Empire Strikes Back, without that film, Star Wars would have been another Dune... had ESB been a failure, had the story not been up to standard then both films would be a lot less regarded and loved as they are today.

Nah the Original Star Wars stood out on it's own as a timeless classic. Much like The Wizard of Oz.

I mean sure ESB pushed SW as a movie "franchise", but ANH would never have been forgotten had ESB/ROTJ failed. Just like Wizard of Oz wasn't forgotten after it's sequels/prequels.

quanchi112

Opinions vary and mine rarely match the general consensus.

relentless1
Nah the Original Star Wars stood out on it's own as a timeless classic. Much like The Wizard of Oz.

I mean sure ESB pushed SW as a movie "franchise", but ANH would never have been forgotten had ESB/ROTJ failed. Just like Wizard of Oz wasn't forgotten after it's sequels/prequels.

you may be right, i guess we will never know though, unless someone has a time machine and kill GL before ESB is written lol, I still stand by my theory however.

CPT Space Bomb
It's not surprising that there are so many different opinions on the movies. It's not surprising that ESB, ROTJ and ROTS all seem to be high on most lists though. God, I can't wait till Thursday! Midnight tickets baby....

quanchi112
It's not surprising that there are so many different opinions on the movies. It's not surprising that ESB, ROTJ and ROTS all seem to be high on most lists though. God, I can't wait till Thursday! Midnight tickets baby.... Doing the 7pm showing thing. Probably see it again on Sunday opening weekend with the gf. First showing is reserved for fellow Star Wars fans.

CPT Space Bomb
Doing the 7pm showing thing. Probably see it again on Sunday opening weekend with the gf. First showing is reserved for fellow Star Wars fans. Yah, I'd RATHER go earlier as well but I'm going with some friends and my brother, who has to work until 10:00 PM....so yah. Oh well, better late than never.

quanchi112
Yah, I'd RATHER go earlier as well but I'm going with some friends and my brother, who has to work until 10:00 PM....so yah. Oh well, better late than never. I agree on better late but opening night is still spot on. My anticipation is through the roof for Snoke. His voice sounds awesome and his line, "Even you have never faced such a test," is already legendary to me. I've watched that tv spot over fifty times.

relentless1
Doing the 7pm showing thing. Probably see it again on Sunday opening weekend with the gf. First showing is reserved for fellow Star Wars fans.

hahaha my ol lady is pissed that I'm going without her to the 7 pm show too but she isn't fan enough to see the very first showing... she's a "what happened to that guy" type of movie goer

quanchi112
hahaha my ol lady is pissed that I'm going without her to the 7 pm show too but she isn't fan enough to see the very first showing... she's a "what happened to that guy" type of movie goer I am going to tell those sitting next to me that I know not to look or even speak to me during the film. If I really want to see a film my eyes won't leave the screen until the credits roll.

Darth Thor
So the "no.1 fan" didn't have the confidence in this movie to pre-book it a 2nd time OW laughing out loud

quanchi112
So the "no.1 fan" didn't have the confidence in this movie to pre-book it a 2nd time OW laughing out loud I will make it there Sunday night so don't you worry. I am also seeing the first available showing in my theatre. You aren't.

Also "I am Star Wars." Prepare yourself for my Snoke and Kylo.

jinXed by JaNx
A New Hope....Even though, Empire is my favorite movie, it wouldn't have been nearly as impactful without, A New Hope. ANH is just as good as ESB when considering the character development and exposition.

Empire Strikes Back...,no explanation needed. It's a perfectly paced movie with three masterfully crafted acts.

Return of the Jedi...,If it weren't for the EWOKS, i might say that this is the best movie of the original franchise. It's the first time we get to see a well balanced, Luke whom is entirely in control of his emotions. The ewoks really hurt this installment for me and almost makes it as hard to watch as one of the, Prequels.

As for the prequels, i think they're all balls. Other than certain acting efforts and some choreography, there really is no redeeming aspect for them

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Return of the Jedi...,If it weren't for the EWOKS, i might say that this is the best movie of the original franchise. Yah. The Ewoks, though kinda cute (I'll admit) are just atrocious from a plot standpoint. I'm sorry but we're to believe these little teddy bears are a legitimate threat to the GALACTIC EMPIRE......

sigh. Anyway, I feel the same way. ROTJ would be my favorite movie had it not been for them. Luke in his black outfit with the green light sabre made me a fan of his for all time (my favorite color is green). And ROTJ is still the best performance by Ian Mcdiarmid (the Emperor).

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah and the only reason we had Ewoks is because they couldn't afford to do a planet full of Wookies. If you watch, ROTJ and imagine a planet full of Wookies, its an entirely different movie. I've come to appreciate the ewoks, but i still can't help but feel that they're out of place with the tone of the movie.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Yeah and the only reason we had Ewoks is because they couldn't afford to do a planet full of Wookies. If you watch, ROTJ and imagine a planet full of Wookies, its an entirely different movie. I've come to appreciate the ewoks, but i still can't help but feel that they're out of place with the tone of the movie. Yah...Wookies trashing the Empire makes more sense.

jinXed by JaNx
Yah...Wookies trashing the Empire makes more sense.

Even as a child before i knew they were supposed to be, Wookies, i thought the Ewoks were lame. I mean, i've come to accept it, but it's always been the one stain on the original trilogy that i could never get over or accept. laughing out loud

Darth Thor
Wookies would have been a lot cooler, but in some ways less realistic Imo. Think about it, Ewoks are going to go completely under the Empire's radar. However I'm pretty sure they'd notice a Planet (well Moon actually) full of Wookies and invade/enslave them first before building their Ultimate weapon there.

So the way it was done made it realistic that the Empire think the Rebels have nothing in terms of reinforcements or hope on that Moon and will get captured quickly, when in fact that wasn't the case.

Also Chewbacca had a lot of action with the Ewoks so that slightly made up for the original plan of Wookie action, and in fact he turned the tide of that fight when he took over the AT-ST. Apart from that the Ewoks main weapon was the element of surprise really for the above reasons.

Besides Ewoks being a more "kiddish" factor was a good balance to the Dark psychological stuff going on in the Death Star "Soon I'll be dead, and you with me", and let's not forget, this wasn't Empire, this was the end of the Saga, so was never intending to end on a grim note, and wanted lots of Light hearted themes going on as well.

queeq
Yeah, I agree. This is where Lucas started make his own sometimes incomprehensible thought constructions. Why not wookies? Just because Chewie can fly the Falcon, doesn't mean that wookies living a primitive life style are stupid or incapable of learning technology.

It's like saying a Masai from a primitive village in Kenia can't learn how to use a computer, just because they don't have computers in their village. Of course they can... silly reason by Lucas, if you ask me. Of course it should have been wookiees! They wouldn't have sold a toy less!

That, and it's a solid movie with good performances. It has a simple story, sure, but it's done incredibly well.

The PT tries to be a very complex story and it's done incredibly terrible.

Mistake no.1: trying to be complex with SW and not being able weave an intricate storyline
Mistake no.2: not making it work

-Pr-
Yup. I'm almost sad Lucas won't be involved in Star Wars anymore, because he does have the ability to come up with new ideas that are pretty damn impressive; he just sucks when it comes to the finer details.

Being surrounded by yes men wasn't helping him either.

Newjak
Let's see my list would be

6) TPM - only a few good moments for me

5) AoTC - Better than TPM but a lot of wasted potential and chopping story telling

4) RoTJ - I might take some flak for this one but honestly after viewing it again as an adult it has glaring weaknesses. Ewoks anyone?

3) RoTS - I thought this movie was actually pretty decent. It had it's weaknesses for sure but overall I enjoyed this move. The action, visuals, music was top notch and acting for me was on the better side of the spectrum overall. Obi-Wan vs Anakin was a fantastic scene all around.

2) ANH - this gets the second place nod just because of nostalgia mostly. It kicked everything off and even viewing it as an adult I love watching this move.

1) ESB - I almost feel compelled to put this first just because of the Luke I am your father part. I don't think any Star Wars movie has anything that even remotely approaches that level of story telling.

I also want to add that I never thought the PT was as bad as other people made it out to be and the OT we generally only highlight the good moments while ignoring the bad parts.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Newjak

I also want to add that I never thought the PT was as bad as other people made it out to be and the OT we generally only highlight the good moments while ignoring the bad parts.

^ Yeah and with the PT it's the opposite. People tend to highlight the bad parts and ignore the good moments.

-Pr-
There just tends to be, at times in those movies, more bad than good, which is why people focus on them.

Same with the good of the originals.

also, leave the Ewoks alone. Those adorable little bastards don't need any more flak.

Quincy
I've become more of a fan of New Hope than Empire Strikes back over the passed few years

Newjak
There just tends to be, at times in those movies, more bad than good, which is why people focus on them.

Same with the good of the originals.

also, leave the Ewoks alone. Those adorable little bastards don't need any more flak. Don't get me wrong I loved the Ewoks as a kid. I even watched their spin off movies. But now that I am an adult and can critically think better the Ewoks just don't make much sense.

-Pr-
Don't get me wrong I loved the Ewoks as a kid. I even watched their spin off movies. But now that I am an adult and can critically think better the Ewoks just don't make much sense.

I don't think they were ever supposed to make sense. That doesn't, or rather shouldn't, make them any less adorable.

Newjak
I don't think they were ever supposed to make sense. That doesn't, or rather shouldn't, make them any less adorable. They are Teddy Bears come to life.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Quincy
I've become more of a fan of New Hope than Empire Strikes back over the passed few years

thumb up

ANH stands on it's own, and is the film that introduced this franchise to us. ESB isn't really a story on it's own. It has no real beginning or ending, but that's fine because it's the middle chapter of a bigger story.

-Pr-
They are Teddy Bears come to life.

Carnivorous, vicious little teddy bears that can portray more emotion in one scene than half the actors in the prequels did.

Darth Thor
Hey don't forget those Teddy Bears were willing to eat Han, Chewie and Luke.

Newjak

Carnivorous, vicious little teddy bears that can portray more emotion in one scene than half the actors in the prequels did.

And yet they should still have burned beneath the empire!!!!!

-Pr-
laughing out loud

yup. and at the end of ROTJ, does anyone think to ask where all of those helmets came from that they were using as drums? hmm?

Newjak
Well if if you google Ewok eating storm trooper you get a good idea!

quanchi112
Rots was the best and Rotj was obviously the second best. These were the best of the six films. Peoples obsession with esb always made me chuckle.

-Pr-
Well if if you google Ewok eating storm trooper you get a good idea!

There was a comic a few years ago, can't remember the issue number for the life of me. Anyway, it was about the Stormtroopers on Endor, and how they were freaking out because every morning they would wake up and one or two of their number would be gone, having just disappeared in the night. Then they started talking about hearing weird sounds in the bush, and rumours about vicious animals that have been hunting troopers ever since they arrived on the moon.

It was utterly brilliant, painting them as bogeymen like that.

Newjak
There was a comic a few years ago, can't remember the issue number for the life of me. Anyway, it was about the Stormtroopers on Endor, and how they were freaking out because every morning they would wake up and one or two of their number would be gone, having just disappeared in the night. Then they started talking about hearing weird sounds in the bush, and rumours about vicious animals that have been hunting troopers ever since they arrived on the moon.

It was utterly brilliant, painting them as bogeymen like that. That does sound awesome. I wish I got into the Star Wars comics more.

-Pr-
Sadly there's a lot of shit in it, but if you find some good ones, they're pretty entertaining.

CPT Space Bomb
Well, Marvel is making the comics now, and I've heard they've been pretty good.

carthage
Yeah, they've done a solid job. 7/10 I'd say

The tendency with Marvel is they tend to invest in Long term storylines, so you get a bit of filler/tons of repeats of killing fodder characters. But when a series reaches it apex/conclusion they deliver with great scenes/panels. The main Star wars comic is incredibly well done, and the Vader series has had its moments, the Shattered Empire series was good as well

CPT Space Bomb
RANK YOUR FAVORITE MOVIE FOR A CHARACTER:

Luke - ROTJ: Sported black and green light sabre. Beat Vader. Nuff said
Han - ESB: Leia "I love you" Han " I know"
Obi-Wan Kenobi - RoTS: Beats friend in emotional battle, awesome fight.
Vader - ROTJ: We got to see him slowly come back to the light. Saved his son...such a great arc for the character.
Emperor - ROTJ: Not over the top like the prequels, but brooding and uncomfortably evil. Just badass.
Leia - ANH: She was at her most sassy and defiant in this. I really liked that.
Yoda - ESB: His first appearance still his best.

carthage
Anyway:

Return of the Jedi: Some redundancy in the plot with the return of the 2nd Death star, potential issues with Ewoks for some viewers, and the subjugation of the Stormtroopers to comic relief. The scenes with Luke and Vader are some of my favorites in cinema, and the tension, dialogue, and moments from the duel to Luke holding Vader in his arms are more dramatic than their duel on Cloud City. Luke has trained his entirety for their final duel, so their is much more to lose and even a greater potential for failure as the Empire has geared up for one final battle. The costumes, further exploration of Tattooine, and meeting the Ewoks on Endor also added more depth to the lore for met at least. The scenes between Father and Son just make the film superior to the others, even if there are elements that are probably inferior to Empire Strikes back.

The Empire strikes back:

In terms of plot, variety of scenes, acting, and pacing its probably better than ROTJ as a film overall. The fight on Hoth is better than the Death star run in ANH, and far better designed than the Battle on Endor. My favorite moments being the first duel on Bespin, and Yoda's teaching of Luke and Luke facing himself in the Darkside cave. Han's and Leia's romance comes off as cheesy to me, but the best scenes outweigh some of the cheesy moments. Not to mention some of the most iconic moments of the film are here, with the infamous "I am your father" scene, and Han being placed in carbonite.

A New Hope:
Probably the weakest of the OT and easily the weakest in terms of dialogue between the main cast. I always thought Leia suffered the most with stiff acting, and that weird accent she had. The best moments for me are Luke and Ben's interactions, Luke learning his first lessons of the force, and the duel on the Death Star rand they make up the most memorable aspects of the film.

The Prequels:

Revenge of the Sith:

Definitely the strongest of the PT in terms of acting, story, plot, and depth. I always enjoyed even the few fleeting glimpses of Anakin's/Kenobi's banter, and Ewan's performance as Obi Wan makes up for Hayden's wooden acting. He was able to perform well as Obi wan from Yoda revealing Anakin's fall to Vader, to the pain he showed on his face when Anakin was becoming Vader on Mustafar. With the curtain closing we see the best of Yoda as he strives to take down Sidious, Anakin's transformation into Vader, the Order 66 scene saw the fall of the Jedi, and overall all of the duels at least had some sort of meaning. There are flaws like the underutilizing of Grievous, the weak romance plot between Anakin/Padme, and it probably goes a little too fast at times. But in comparison with the other two, its on another level as a film and Lucas's best in the PT.

Attack of the Clones:

One of the worst films in the franchise mainly due to badly aged CGI, poor acting on Hayden's part, badly choreographed duels, and somewhat of a nonsensical plot. I don't really have much positive to say about it other than I thought that Jango being the clone temple was interesting, Christopher Lee's acting was excellent (and the subplot involving his interest in Kenobi was interesting), but Yoda always came across as inept and the fight scenes weren't interesting to me.

The Phantom Menace:

I am always struck in this film by how uninterested everyone seems in acting. Everyone from Liam, to Padme, to Obi all have this flat and uninterested tone in their scenes together. Also Jar Jar's shoehorning just seems as desperate and unneeded like when they're in Watto's shop and they just have to have him doing some ZANY antics, the child actor portraying Anakin is horrible as well. There is a level of disbelief I have involving the destruction of Trade federation ships, the Gungan fight scenes, and the blockade of Naboo as well. Just so much makes zero sense and isn't explained in the film, that I was surprised it even got some positive reviews at the time. I always thought Qui Gon was poorly utilized, we don't know his motivations for bringing Anakin to the temple until much later in the film, his scenes with Obi seem dispassionate, and we just don't see too much into his character other than his stubbornness. I wanted to like his as a character but Lucas screwed it up. Other than Nostalgia (I was a child when it came out), its a weak film and other than viewing for references to the latter films is the 2nd weakest in the franchise

dadudemon

Vader - ROTJ: We got to see him slowly come back to the light. Saved his son...such a great arc for the character.
Emperor - ROTJ: Not over the top like the prequels, but brooding and uncomfortably evil. Just badass.

I've thought about it...

And I think I agree with you list exactly as it is. hmm

The Emperor almost gets the nod with RotS but I gotta say, his reveal and full character presentation in RotJ has more power and majesty to it.

Bardock42
Right now, from my gut I'd say

ESB
ANH
TFA
ROTJ
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

queeq
Yeah, that's be my list too. Ha!

relentless1

TPM- Darth Maul: Total badass, arguably best lightsaber fight in the whole series.

ATOC- Yoda: seeing that little ****er take it to Dooku was the absolute highlight of the film.

ROTS- Darth Sidious: The Emperor really shines in this one with Ian McDiarmids A+ acting and the fall of the Jedi masterfully orchestrated by this fearsome Sith Lord, plus I love the battle cry when he leaps at Mace Windu and company.

ANH- Han Solo: the cocky pilot who shot first and didn't take shit from anybody, he was at his best here.

ESB- Darth Vader: At his most evil, killing anyone who disappointed him. This is why he's remembered as one of the best villains in cinema.

ROTJ- Luke Skywalker: Dude finally becomes a badass and takes care of business, favourite depiction of Luke so far...

queeq
You're missing one. wink

And that list of yours is from worst to best I suppose.

relentless1
Revised list from best to worst:

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Empire Strikes Back

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

A New Hope

-Pr-
For me:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

The_Tempest
ESB/ROTS
ESB/ROTS
ROTJ
ANH/AOTC
ANH/AOTC
TFA/TPM
TPM/TFA

Darth Thor
1.ANH

Next 3 are interchangeable for me:

2.ESB
3.ROTS
4.ROTJ

5.TPM
6.TFA
7.AOTC

ares834
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. TFA
4. RotJ
5. RotS
6. TPM
7. AotC

Weird as hell typing out "7". lol

AuraAngel
1. ROTJ
2. ESB(The Best Film but not my personal favorite)
3. ANH
4. ROTS
5. TFA
6. TPM
7. AOTC

queeq
For me:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
TFA
ROTS
TPM
AOTC

I think mine is the same a Pr's. At this moment. ROTJ or TFA could be switched around though... not sure yet.

wakkawakkawakka
Slight list update

Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. The Force Awakens
5. Star Wars
6. Attack of the Clones
7. Phantom Menace

CPT Space Bomb
1.ANH

Next 3 are interchangeable for me:

2.ESB
3.ROTS
4.ROTJ

5.TPM
6.TFA
7.AOTC WOW. You hated TFA that much? Ouch. In the big minority there though.

-Pr-
I think mine is the same a Pr's. At this moment. ROTJ or TFA could be switched around though... not sure yet.

Jedi is actually my favourite of the six, so I'm a teeny bit biased, I'll admit.

Trocity
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. A New Hope
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Phantom Menace

The Nuul
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. Return of the Jedi
3. A New Hope
4. The Force Awakens

The rest - who cares, they are rubbish.

Darth Thor
WOW. You hated TFA that much? Ouch. In the big minority there though.

Who said I hate it? I loved the Other SW movies. It's my favourite movie franchise of all time. So ranking it below them doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. But I was disappointed by it. As were many other people as far as I can tell.

CPT Space Bomb
Who said I hate it? I loved the Other SW movies. It's my favourite movie franchise of all time. So ranking it below them doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. But I was disappointed by it. As were many other people as far as I can tell. If by disappointed you mean ranking it super high? Then yes. Rotten Tomatoes still has it at 95% and IMDB has it at 8.8. The majority really liked it.

Darth Thor
If by disappointed you mean ranking it super high? Then yes. Rotten Tomatoes still has it at 95% and IMDB has it at 8.8. The majority really liked it.

Interesting. Then I guess people hated the Original Star Wars in 1977 initially given that it was slammed by critics.

I really don't give a s*** what Critics think. And IMDb has a reputation of people voting before they've even seen the film.

In any case neither represents your general audience.

Just read through this thread and you'll find plenty of people disappointed in this film. Some People are loving it as well which is great. But just don't pretend there's 1 opinion that's been Universally agreed on and that Rotten Tomatoes gives us that Opinion.

CPT Space Bomb
Interesting. Then I guess people hated the Original Star Wars in 1977 initially given that it was slammed by critics.

I really don't give a s*** what Critics think. And IMDb has a reputation of people voting before they've even seen the film.

In any case neither represents your general audience.

Just read through this thread and you'll find plenty of people disappointed in this film. Some People are loving it as well which is great. But just don't pretend there's 1 opinion that's been Universally agreed on and that Rotten Tomatoes gives us that Opinion. There is NOT one opinion. But the MAJORITY opinion is that TFA is great. So, you are in the minority. No reason to get upset about it mate. Not sure why you're so mad.

quanchi112
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Force Awakens

Rest are the same, obviously.

Firefly218
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Force Awakens
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the Clones

Darth Thor
There is NOT one opinion. But the MAJORITY opinion is that TFA is great. So, you are in the minority. No reason to get upset about it mate. Not sure why you're so mad.

Because you're getting your "majority opinion" from Rotten Tomatoes which is just silly. As if Critics represent your general audience or something.

And by the way ROTS has around 80% on RT. In fact All the Prequels have over 50% which means technically you're also in the minority (going by your standards) if you didn't like the Prequels.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Episode VI, ROTJ 10/10
The Good
Everything, the Vader, Luke, Emperor Duell, the Ending, the Ewoks n (you got to love them), the phucking spacebattle with the Super Star Destroyer and the Death Star. It's a trap!
The Bad
Nothing, maybe the death of Boba Fett was kind of lame, though very funny, not what he deserved.
The Ugly
The original Obi-wan and Vader Force ghosts replaced by the new, so incredibly stupid and unnecessary. My rating is for the original, not remade thing.

Episode V, ESB 9/10
The Good
Vader in Cloud City, Lando, Luke Vader fight and revelation. Yoda training. The battle of Hoth and much more.
The Bad
Nothing really. Maybe not enough space battles.
The Ugly
Nothing.

Episode IV, ANH 8/10
The Good
It's the first. Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, Tarkin and most of all, Obi-Wan. The battle against the first death star, the sacrifice of Kenobi.
The Bad
It felt a bit rushed, so much story packed in a few minutes. From Tatooine to the Death Star in an instant.
The Ugly
How easy it was to destroy the Death Star, I mean seriously?

Episode VII, TFA 8/10

The Good
I liked the new cast, the new chars, especially Finn, the Stormtrooper going good which is a nice twist, Rey, who hpefully isn't Han and Leias daughter (since neither Han nor Leia recognized her), and hopefully is Lukes daughter, since the lightsaber called out to her and BB-8, a droid other than the original two who gets the chance to shine. The humor was good, the light saber duells were more like the original ones and less acrobatic, which is an improvement. The orignal chars, Chewie, Han, Leia etc. were really cool (even though Hans Death was unnecessary, so early in the new trilogy).

The Bad
The Starkiller Base. Build in 30 years, in the core of a Planet, sucking a sun dry? I know it doesn't have to be physically correct or realistic but it was this bigger and badder thing, that is just kind of boring. We already had 2 of those weapons, both failed, something new, fresh, would be an improvement. This seemed forced. Also it was very action heavy, which made me feel like the story seemed kind of forced. Also, not seeing Luke and Snoke in action. I want Luke to be the most powerful Jedi next or above Yoda.

The Ugly
Kylo Ren. I expected a cool villain and at first he seemed so, but his anger management issues and his lack of power (getting his ass handed to him by a girl without much training) were a disappointment. He was just an angry little biatch, with some daddy and granddaddy issues. I knew what to expect once he lifted that mask, but his face doesn't fits, how can he be han and leias son, maybe Chewie had his way with her? I don't want to hate his looks but someone like jared padalecki would have been more meancing. Also it would be even better if he was a she, Leias and Hans daughter.

Episode III, ROTS 6/10
The Good
Anakin vs Obi-Wan, Yoda vs the Emperor, Mace Windus death. Vaders transformation. Can't remember much more. Obi-Wan and Yoda were the best though.
The Bad
The Story was kind of boring, I can recall much fromt he movie. The acting of Hayden.
The Ugly
The Plot holes.

Episode II, AOTC 5/10
The Good
The Colosseum fight. Kenobi vs Grievous. Dooku vs Yoda. Dooku was the best in this movie, I like him more than Palpatine.
The Bad
The love story, or better the acting, of Anakin and Padme.
The Ugly
Mace Windu, or rather his acting and JarJar Binks.

Episode I, TPM 4/10
The Good
Qui-Gon and Darth Maul, the Jedi council. Qui-Gon and Darth Maul were the best in this movie.
The Bad
Seeing Vader as a child.
The Ugly
Jar Jar, the Jesus birth of Anakin, the midichlorians nonsense.

CPT Space Bomb
Because you're getting your "majority opinion" from Rotten Tomatoes which is just silly. As if Critics represent your general audience or something. No. I used several sources. Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. It also has a good score on metacritic AND is poised to be one of the best selling (if not THE best selling) movies of all time. Just stating facts. No need to get upset.

Darth Thor
No. I used several sources. Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. It also has a good score on metacritic AND is poised to be one of the best selling (if not THE best selling) movies of all time. Just stating facts. No need to get upset.

So these rating sites decide for the whole general audience now? Lol

Ok I'll tell almost everyone I know whose seen the movie and found themselves underwhelmed that they're in the vast minority.

I'll also tell them to read the reviews on RT in future before making up their own mind.

CPT Space Bomb
So these rating sites decide for the whole general audience now? Lol

Ok I'll tell almost everyone I know whose seen the movie and found themselves underwhelmed that they're in the vast minority.

I'll also tell them to read the reviews on RT in future before making up their own mind. You make it sound like having issues with the movie = not liking it. That's not the case. Was it a perfect movie? No. Was it better than the prequels? laughing laughing laughing

Darth Thor
You make it sound like having issues with the movie = not liking it.

Well no, because I enjoyed many parts of it. That's different to being disappointed though.

That's not the case. Was it a perfect movie? No. Was it better than the prequels? laughing laughing laughing

In your opinion.

I've got more respect for people's opinion of which movies are better. Several people on these boards have ranked ROTS above TFA. Heck many people have ranked ROTS above some of the Originals.

I've ranked 2 Prequels above TFA, but heck there's people here who rank ANH at the bottom of their list! So mines hardly the strangest ranking.

CPT Space Bomb
I've ranked 2 Prequels above TFA, but heck there's people here who rank ANH at the bottom of their list! So mines hardly the strangest ranking. Oh no doubt. But you're the one that was arguing strongest with me on it.

Darth Thor
Oh no doubt. But you're the one that was arguing strongest with me on it.

Because for 1 you said I hated it (which I don't), and 2 I strongly disagree that I'm Factually in the minority for being slightly underwhelmed by it.

CPT Space Bomb
Because for 1 you said I hated it (which I don't), and 2 I strongly disagree that I'm Factually in the minority for being slightly underwhelmed by it. Going off of everything I've read (sample size) across the internet as a whole; reviews after reviews after reviews.....and all the sites that give scores....yah. I think you're in the minority big time. There are more sites/people raving about it than saying it's worse than the prequels.

Darth Thor
Going off of everything I've read (sample size) across the internet as a whole; reviews after reviews after reviews.....and all the sites that give scores....yah. I think you're in the minority big time. There are more sites/people raving about it than saying it's worse than the prequels.

Oh ok if you mean about me ranking it below more than 1 of the Prequels then I agree I probably am in the minority.

But in terms of ranking it below ROTS, or just being disappointed in the new one, I've personally seen many people express that sentiment.

StiltmanFTW
1. ANH/TESB

2. ROTJ

3. ROTS

4. AOTC/TPM

Haven't seen TFA yet.

Darth Martin
Episode V
Episode IV
Episode III
Episode II
Episode I
Episode VIII

I don't think any of them are bad per say. Wasn't too impressed overall with Episode 7. Will need further viewings to have a more concrete opinion but based on initial viewings, ALL the previous six films beat it.

ESB and ANH are the only ones I feel comfortable calling great(even though they're difficult to watch now). The PT definitely gets shit on undeservingly IMO. People ***** about Hayden Christensen's bad acting but forget that the acting by some of the main characters in the OT weren't Oscar nominees either.

Atleast the PT films weren't carbon copies of the OT. They added depth and pretty much gave us the EU material we have today.

Astner
V
VI
IV
VII
III
II
I

CPT Space Bomb
Okay, so, after seeing this multiple times:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. TFA
5. ROTS
6. AoTC
7. TPM

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Darth Martin
The PT definitely gets shit on undeservingly IMO.

thumb up

Btw you missed out Ep. 6 in your rankings.

Stringer
Esb
Anh
Rotj
Rots
Tfa
Aotc
Tfm

quanchi112
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. The Last Jedi
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Force Awakens
5. Rogue One
6. Empire Strikes Back
7. Attack of the Clones
8. The Phantom Menace
9. A New Hope

juggernaut74
Isn't Clone Wars considered a movie?

It had a wide release.

quanchi112
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Isn't Clone Wars considered a movie?

It had a wide release. My list is for the live action films only. Do you see anyone else including that ? You're free to if you'd like.

playa1258
-Empire Strikes Back
-A New Hope
-ROTJ
-Revenge of the Sith
-Rogue 1
-The Force Awakens
-The Last Jedi
-Phantom Menace
-Attack of the Clones

-Pr-
Best to Worst for me:

-ESB
-ANH
-ROTJ
-ROTS
-TFA/RO (Can't choose between them)
-TLJ
-TPM
-AOTC

Josh_Alexander
In honor of The Force Awakens opening next week, let's reminisce about the series' films so far. List your top six and if you want, explain why:

Here we go...

6) Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - This movie introduced the midichlorians and Jar Jar Binks. Even the epic light sabre fight between Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul couldn't erase that.

5) Episode 2: Attack of the Clones - I would have rated this lower than Menace, had it not been for Obi-Wan's story in this being slightly more redeeming than the former's sins. However, the AMAZINGLY bad CGI that was EVERYWHERE in this movie, along with Manakin Skywalkers wooden acting, make this one hard to watch.

4) Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - This movie is not without it's sins either, but it was a much better film than the 2 that preceded it. Anakin was still cringe-worthy at times, but not as bad. It also featured one of the top 3 light sabre fights in the entire series imo. Some things were a bit forced, but the movie is by far the best of the prequels.

3) Episode 6: Return of the Jedi - While this movie has my all time favorite lightsabre fight (Luke and Darth Vader's final battle), it also unfortunately gave us the Ewoks. But the little fury bastiches weren't enough to derail the movie completely. An awesome space battle at the end with the Emperor and Empire seemingly meeting their demise; this movie had just enough going for it to elevate it beyond prequel ranks.

2) Episode 4: A New Hope - Some would argue this is the best Star Wars film, and that can be argued. This is the film that introduced us to Luke, Obi-Wan, Leia, Darth Vader and of course, Han Solo. It gave us a universe of imagination and took itself seriously enough that we believe it could have existed in a galaxy, far far away.

1) Episode 2: The Empire Strikes Back - This, to me, is the best Star Wars movie. It doesn't have the best of any one thing; in my opinion, it does do EVERYTHING just a little bit better. It improved upon an already great story with tense fights and made us question the fates of all involved. Also, the Vader is Luke's father reveal is still one of the all time most powerful movie revelations. This movie improved upon the already great special effects of the first one, and cemented Star Wars as a legitimate IP instead of a one hit wonder.

What's your rankings?

1. ROTS: Best lightsaber duels. Amazing plot. Amazing villain and heroes. Good vs Evil. Yoda vs Sidious. The Best.

2. Clone Wars: Very similar to to the one above.

3. ROTJ: The end of the Empire. Luke vs Vader. Sidious loses. Great movie over all.

4. ANH: First movie.

5. A PM: Nice duels. Nice story.

6. Just because i like the others more.

juggernaut74
My list is for the live action films only. Do you see anyone else including that ? You're free to if you'd like. Well it is canon and had a wide release so I'm counting it.

Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Clone Wars
Rogue One
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones
The Last Jedi

quanchi112
The hated for the Last Jedi is astonishing. It's utterly fantastic and gets better on rewatches.

Impediment
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Rogue One
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
The Force Awakens
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
The Phantom Menace

dadudemon
My updated list:

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Attack of the Clones
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Phantom Menace
5. A New Hope
6. Empire Strikes back
7. The Last Jedi
8. The Force Awakens

Nephthys
Originally posted by dadudemon
My updated list:

1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Attack of the Clones
3. Return of the Jedi
4. The Phantom Menace
5. A New Hope
6. Empire Strikes back
7. The Last Jedi
8. The Force Awakens

https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-Amused-funny-jaw-drop-LOL-Newman-OMG-Seinfeld-shocked-surprised-GIF.gif

dadudemon
Originally posted by Nephthys
https://www.viralviralvideos.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF-Amused-funny-jaw-drop-LOL-Newman-OMG-Seinfeld-shocked-surprised-GIF.gif

https://i.imgur.com/36DKCOs.gif

Nephthys
I'm going to rewatch the OT soon so I can figure out how they stack up to the new movies but I can guarantee that the last 3 movies on the list are going to be:

7. Revenge of the Sith
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones
(10. The Clone Wars movie, holy fvck)

Absolutely atrocious movies. I highly doubt any future SW movie ever will be as bad as the prequels were. AotC stands out for having almost no redeeming qualities whatsoever though. I'm sitting here trying to think of one and I can't really. I guess Kamino was kind of cool.

carthage
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. The Last Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Rogue One (interchangeable)
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones

relentless1
1. Revenge of the Sith