Why is it that Hunters = Mercenaries/Assassins?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
Something which I never understood is that according to the Bounty Hunter Code book, there's a clear difference between a Bounty Hunter, Mercenary and Assassin.

So why is it other sources, treat as if a Bounty Hunter is the same as a Mercenary and Assassin?

It would seem obvious that they are all separate professions.

Bounty Hunters= Go after labeled targets against the government Empire or Republic or local planetary gov't or private contractor where the target has done wrong.

Mercenary= Former soldier fighting in the armies of other gov'ts or private force, usually for money.

Assassin= Kills targets for religious reasons or political reasons killing innocent people, usually not paid.

Fated Xtasy
Depends on the source and the Bounty Hunter, i assume.

For Example, X-7 is treated as an assassin, and so is IG-88. Difference being is that X-7 is aligned with the Empire, and the Empire only, while IG-88 is a Bounty Hunter that specializes in Assassination and is hired by the Empire for his special skill set.

Aurra Sing is treated as a Bounty Hunter, Mercenary and Assassin by several sources. So it could all just be an example of writers using the word as an Umbrella term, or them trying not to use the same word several times.

Truth be told a Bounty Hunter, depending on their skill set, is a Mercenary, and an Assassin, or in some cases both.

That help?

Zenwolf
I kinda rather hate that though, because if it's all just under one thing...what's the point of having separate labels?...But yeah, I get it I suppose. Though it was 88B that was the Bounty Hunter, not A, C and D although given they have all one mind I guess that is kinda a moot.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Something which I never understood is that according to the Bounty Hunter Code book, there's a clear difference between a Bounty Hunter, Mercenary and Assassin.

So why is it other sources, treat as if a Bounty Hunter is the same as a Mercenary and Assassin?

It would seem obvious that they are all separate professions.

Bounty Hunters= Go after labeled targets against the government Empire or Republic or local planetary gov't or private contractor where the target has done wrong.

Mercenary= Former soldier fighting in the armies of other gov'ts or private force, usually for money.

Assassin= Kills targets for religious reasons or political reasons killing innocent people, usually not paid.
Your definitions, besides the first, are a little off. A mercenary is a contracted soldier. A Bounty Hunter is someone who collects bounties, obviously. An assassin is anyonewho kills for political or religious reasons, and they usually are paid in some way or another. Now, as you may have noticed, none of these are mutually exclusive. More likely than not, they probably overlap a lot because the skill sets needed in each area overlap. Someone who's good a catching targets off guard would make a great assassin or bounty hunter. Same with someone who's a good soldier when concerning mercenaries and bounty hunters.

Zenwolf
Well Fresh was going by the BHC book for definitions, so not seeing how it's off. Usually not paid doesn't mean they aren't for assassins, but that's what the definition according to the book says.

But I get it yeah, they would overlap. Although the BHC book makes it seem like it's all separate.

Q99
They *are* different jobs, but with a lot of overlap.

Bounty Hunters specifically hunt targets for money- often, but not always, alive.

Assassins target and kill people- always dead, sometimes for money, sometimes for other reasons.

Mercenaries fight for money. They may do bounties, they may not. They may do specific hunts to kill just-an-individual, but often not.

Technically, all bounty hunters are a form of mercenary, and many assassins are, but the terms are more specific. Some characters are all three, many mercenaries are not bounty hunters, many assassins are not bounty hunter or mercenaries.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.