Anakin Skywalker in Episode 7 / 8

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

|King Joker|
Okay, so apparently there was some legitament talks to bring Hayden back to play Anakin's Force Ghost in Episode 7, as seen in this link: http://makingstarwars.net/2015/12/the-force-ghost-of-anakin-skywalker-was-proposed-to-be-in-the-force-awakens/

So, I think now all the rumors that Hayden is going to reprise his role as Anakin Skywalker in Episode 8 has a good chance of being legit as well.

I think the concept of Anakin's ghost flowing back and forth between the light and dark to be an interesting concept that would be fun to see. What are your thoughts?

Darth Thor
Though it could be done well Not sure why Anakin's ghost would be Schizophrenic. And Lucas made pretty clear there are no Dark Side ghosts. So not sure if it'd be a good idea to change that concept in Canon.

But I doubt it will happen given most the Prequel hate seems to be directed towards Jar Jar and Hayden. Then again Star Wars is the biggest movie franchise again so they can do what they want now.

Don't think anyone would complain about Ewan playing Obi-Wan's ghost though. So that would certainly be the safer move in terms of using Prequel characters.

Bardock42
Oh God, oh no...

Emperordmb
Hayden was good in ROTS IMO, take away Lucas's actor directing, given Hayden's greater experience and Disney avoiding PTisms, I think Hayden as Anakin's ghost could definitely be done right.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Hayden was good in ROTS IMO,

thumb up

The Opera scene between him and Mcdiarmid/Palpatine was one of the best moments in the whole SW saga IMO.

Emperordmb
Plagueis being a thing makes me 110% okay with midichlorians tbh

Bashar Teg
this idea is horrible and i hope the proposal was swiftly shot down.

Galan007
Anakin was much older than Hayden when he died aboard the Death Star in RotJ, so I'm not sure why in the f*ck he'd be the force ghost... Just like I wasn't sure why in the f*ck Lucas superimposed Hayden's ghost atop the original during the final scene in RotJ:
http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/74768.jpg

Stupid is stupid. srsly

Bashar Teg
because in george lucas' "true original vision" (version 12.0.8, circa 2010) anakins' true spirit never aged while he was darth vader.

Galan007
Christ almighty. facepalm

FreshestSlice
Completely ignoring that Shaw was too old to play Anakin in the first place, it's not that Anakin didn't age as Vader; it's that he would have no idea what an older him would look like, and that this is what he thinks Anakin Skywalker would look like.

Lord Lucien
This is what Luke would think he looks like? A 20-something who's also the father of a 20-something?

Lucas has questionable motives for his creative decisions at the best times, this is just another wacky example.

FreshestSlice
Except Luke isn't the Force Ghost; Anakin is, so what Luke thinks Anakin looks like, which is a gray mass of scar tissue, has absolutely no bearing on this whatsoever. Of all the things copy and pasted from RotS for RotJ, this isn't really one of them worth complaining about.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Hayden was good in ROTS IMO, take away Lucas's actor directing, given Hayden's greater experience and Disney avoiding PTisms, I think Hayden as Anakin's ghost could definitely be done right.

He was awful in every way, I hope Disney doesn't drag up this garbage.

Galan007
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Completely ignoring that Shaw was too old to play Anakin in the first place, it's not that Anakin didn't age as Vader; it's that he would have no idea what an older him would look like, and that this is what he thinks Anakin Skywalker would look like. I could buy the whole "residual self image" concept as it was applied in The Matrix, but here it's just tasteless self-service on Lucas' part.

If the appearance of a force ghost actually did fluctuate in accordance with one's personal view of themself(which is a silly concept in its own right), then Anakin's force ghost would have still looked like Vader--a primarily inorganic 'monster' is how he'd come to view himself over the years, after all. The organic/suitless version of his past self(circa RotS) had faded into a distant memory, at best.

Hell, how many years do you think it had been since Kenobi saw himself in a mirror? Yet he still looked like the same old man when he died. /shrug

Darth Thor
Well since we don't even know how it is Anakin learned the Ghost trick, it's really not worth discussing how his ghost should look.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Galan007
I could buy the whole "residual self image" concept as it was applied in The Matrix, but here it's just tasteless self-service on Lucas' part.

If the appearance of a force ghost actually did fluctuate in accordance with one's personal view of themself(which is a silly concept in its own right), then Anakin's force ghost would have still looked like Vader--a primarily inorganic 'monster' is how he'd come to view himself over the years, after all. The organic/suitless version of his past self(circa RotS) had faded into a distant memory, at best.

Hell, how many years do you think it had been since Kenobi saw himself in a mirror? Yet he still looked like the same old man when he died. /shrug
Except the entire point of looking like Anakin is to not look like Vader? Also, who the hell forgets what they looked like? In a universe with holovids and the like? Seriously. I know what I looked like years ago, and I'm sure just about any person with long term memory does as well, especially when they are al-powerful demi-gods with intelligence out the a. Also, you honestly think Kenobi doesn't know what he looks like and hasn't seen a mirror in twenty years? Really? Thinking it's silly is one thing, but this is just another entirely. The entire series is self-service, by the way; it was never meant to be anything else besides that and a money maker.

ares834
Having Anakin's ghost look like him right before he turned to the dark side undermines the whole idea that Vader had good in him the entire time. Rather it reinforces Obi-Wan and Yoda's flawed belief that Anakin "died" when he became Vader.

FreshestSlice
Right. That's dumb. Star Wars whole, "this is totes a completely different person," angle with morality never sits well. The good in him is supposed to be Anakin, as Luke tells him in RotJ. Vader as a concept wasn't and never was meant to be good. Like in any capacity.

Galan007
Except the entire point of looking like Anakin is to not look like Vader? Also, who the hell forgets what they looked like? In a universe with holovids and the like? Seriously. I know what I looked like years ago, and I'm sure just about any person with long term memory does as well, especially when they are al-powerful demi-gods with intelligence out the a. Also, you honestly think Kenobi doesn't know what he looks like and hasn't seen a mirror in twenty years? Really? Thinking it's silly is one thing, but this is just another entirely. The entire series is self-service, by the way; it was never meant to be anything else besides that and a money maker. Why are you getting so upset, lol?

Hayden's ghost being superimposed in RotJ is ridiculous, and cannot be logically justified from an in-universe POV. That is all I'm saying. smile

Lord Lucien
Why are you getting so upset, lol?

Hayden's ghost being superimposed in RotJ is ridiculous, and cannot be logically justified from an in-universe POV. That is all I'm saying. smile I'm defined by my rigid fandom, so don't poke holes in its logic. Because that pokes holes in my identity.

Bashar Teg
Completely ignoring that Shaw was too old to play Anakin in the first place, it's not that Anakin didn't age as Vader; it's that he would have no idea what an older him would look like, and that this is what he thinks Anakin Skywalker would look like.

i love how you worded that as if this dilemma existed when RotJ was written, so it was clearly unavoidable...as opposed to it being yet another unnecessary alteration of canon and content of a 30 year old film because GL changed his mind again.

but if you want to buy that line, that GL had had every last detail of the story mapped out in his head since 1976, that's your business.

Darth Thor
Why are you getting so upset, lol?

Hayden's ghost being superimposed in RotJ is ridiculous, and cannot be logically justified from an in-universe POV. That is all I'm saying. smile

Why are you pretending as if you understand the in-universe logic of how Force Ghosts should look?

Wait until there's an official explanation of how Anakin can even become a Force Ghost without training, before you give us your flawless logic of how he should or shouldn't appear.

But hey I'm sure there's no logical flaw at all to keeping Sebastian Shaw as an older Hayden Christenson LOL

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Though it could be done well Not sure why Anakin's ghost would be Schizophrenic.

You mean Split personality? That's not quite the same thing as schizophrenia.

Don't think anyone would complain about Ewan playing Obi-Wan's ghost though. So that would certainly be the safer move in terms of using Prequel characters.

I would have a problem with Ewan playing Obi Wan's ghost. It's not that I don't like Ewan as Obi Wan. It's not even that I don't want anything connecting it to the Prequels. I don't want Ewan to come back, because Alec Guniess is the older version of Obi Wan. Obi Wan's force ghost came back as the older version in the OT. Why would Obi Wan's ghost all of a sudden change form to Ewan? It wouldn't make sense. They'd have to explain it at least.

Galan007
Why are you pretending as if you understand the in-universe logic of how Force Ghosts should look? My opinion is based on how the other two in-universe force ghosts looked.

Sorry for trying to be logical about this. thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.