Why don't some droids speak basic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperordmb
I like R2's characteristic beeping as much as the next guy, but is there any in-universe logic that has so many droids unable to speak basic when it would be easier for everyone if they did, and when they clearly have the technology to easily be able to do so if b1 battle droids can.

Zenwolf
Hm? As I recall it's only the droids that are more technical like R2 that don't speak basic and that's because of...well what they are designed for, speaking to computers, piloting ships and so on so they gotta speak binary. Protocol droids can speak basic, Assassin droids, Med droids and so on.

It's more of what their designed for really.

Emperordmb
Well yeah, but my question is why not have those specific droids speak basic as well, if apparently it's easy and cheap enough for a droid to speak basic that they can manufacture quintillions of shitty B1's that can speak it.

Would certainly be easier on droid owners than them having to learn droidspeak or get an interpreter is what I'm getting at.

NewGuy01
B1's probably have a very restricted grasp of Basic tbh.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well yeah, but my question is why not have those specific droids speak basic as well, if apparently it's easy and cheap enough for a droid to speak basic that they can manufacture quintillions of shitty B1's that can speak it.

Would certainly be easier on droid owners than them having to learn droidspeak or get an interpreter is what I'm getting at.

Simple marketing strategy. The manufacturers sell more droids if people need to buy protocol droids like Threepio just to act as interpreters for labour droids.

Put simply the in-universe logic is to increase profits.

Tzeentch
There is no logical reason- it's just some cute shit for the fans.

Even if some droids were deliberately created without the ability to speak basic (or some other sentient language), it would/should be no trouble at all to simply "download" the ability to speak the language into the droid post-market, since droids are after all just computers and they already have the necessary speaker systems.

Sinious
Originally posted by Tzeentch
There is no logical reason- it's just some cute shit for the fans.
thumb up

Q99
Why don't you learn to speak binary, huh?

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Q99
Why don't you learn to speak binary, huh?

Lmfao thumb up

Also, who cares, it's cute and must fan like it.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Lmfao thumb up

Also, who cares, it's cute and must fan like it.
I don't want R2 to speak basic lol, just wondering if there was an in-universe explanation is all. Also PMs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.