Steam Goes Nuts. Offers access to other ppl's accounts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nibedicus

Kazenji
I haven't run into any trouble with the Steam Client.

Nibedicus
Well, my newphew recently lost all his steam credits (about 100USD) as well as around 200USD of DoTA2 stuff on his account. Did a little research to see what's up and ran into this. Mostly due to the fact that he had lousy security practices that might have allowed someone that saw his account details to breach his steam account directly and take his stuff. I dunno. Hoping my account isnt effed up as I'm out of town and can't check my PC (posting on Ipad atm.

Kazenji
I can only do the Steam Guard thing with the PC, The Smartphone way that it suggest's is useless for me since i don't own one of those types.

Jmanghan
Can they like, permanently delete games and shit?

Like as if you never bought them? I had a lot of time put into various games like Chivalry and Jedi Academy.

Nibedicus
My nephew's account was all cash/item theft. Old game purchases and cloud saves were all untouched. Just sucked that he lost quite a bit of stuff. Emailed steam and hoping they at least manage to return his stuff to him.

And from what I'm reading the glitch doesn't actually give ppl direct access to your stuff, just access to your information. I think my nephew's loss had as much to do with his horrid security practices as it was the steam glitch. Would actually believe that it had nothing to do with steam glitch were it not for the timing.

-Pr-
Yeah. It was more a case of them allowing you access to any information you had in your account, rather than them being able to directly manipulate it.

Smasandian
Yep. It's was a caching issue. They could see but they couldn't actually access anything.

It's basically finding somebodies address but it's locked. Still sucks but I don't think it's a bad as people say it is.

Surtur
Originally posted by Nibedicus
My nephew's account was all cash/item theft. Old game purchases and cloud saves were all untouched. Just sucked that he lost quite a bit of stuff. Emailed steam and hoping they at least manage to return his stuff to him.

And from what I'm reading the glitch doesn't actually give ppl direct access to your stuff, just access to your information. I think my nephew's loss had as much to do with his horrid security practices as it was the steam glitch. Would actually believe that it had nothing to do with steam glitch were it not for the timing.

If the information people were given access to would of told someone about his lack of security then I would think Steam is partially responsible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.