Prove the external world exists...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma
Without appealing to the senses.

Lord Lucien
Obvious attempt at inciting an argument is obvious.

Stigma
I was rather thinking that it is impossible to prove.

BTW Solipsism sure is fun rock

Van Hohenheim
Prove it doesn't.

Astner
Originally posted by Stigma
I can't.

Originally posted by Van Hohenheim
Prove it doesn't.
I can't.

Van Hohenheim
Originally posted by Astner
I can't.

I can't.
Well looks like we have ourselves a stalemate. I'll rely on my senses when I exit a building through the front door and Stigma can exit through the highest window.

Mindship
Prove the sensory world exists w/o appealing to the senses.

Nice.

Astner
Originally posted by Van Hohenheim
Well looks like we have ourselves a stalemate. I'll rely on my senses when I exit a building through the front door and Stigma can exit through the highest window.
Siding with an answer to a question you don't have the answer to does not make you any less ignorant.

Bentley
What would constitute a valid proof?

Van Hohenheim
Originally posted by Astner
Siding with an answer to a question you don't have the answer to does not make you any less ignorant.
No it doesn't, but between being ignorant and alive vs ignorant and dead, I'll choose the former.

Originally posted by Bentley
What would constitute a valid proof?
If he knew that he wouldn't be asking us to prove the external universe exist. If you're asking what he's asking for, then he's asking us to prove the external universe exist by using rationalism not empiricism. But he also makes it clear that he's asking for the "external" world, rationalism requires you to think of something, so "external" might not apply.

He's basically asking us to prove unicorns or bigfoot exist without using physical proof.

Van Hohenheim
Very relevant
PqjdRAERWLc

Emperordmb
There has to be some external world, otherwise my mind wouldn't have something to bounce off of to develop over time.

shiv

Vibration

End Of Discussion.

Shakyamunison

Astner

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by Mindship
Prove the sensory world exists w/o appealing to the senses.

Nice. Prove the Anti-Matter Universe exist without being there.

thumb up Nice

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by shiv
Vibration

End Of Discussion. Touch/Hearing

Josh_Alexander

What do you mean by external world?

Ursumeles
Bump
Stigma, what is the answer to Josh's question? Is the external world everything except for our body? Or everything except for our awareness? Or something else?

Stigma
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Bump
Stigma, what is the answer to Josh's question? Is the external world everything except for our body? Or everything except for our awareness? Or something else?
Let's make it interesting. External world as in everything except our body.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
Prove the Anti-Matter Universe exist without being there.

thumb up Nice

where did we find this guy

Wonder Man
It's real for a good reason and philosophy is part of it.
Good question by the way a philosopher should be able to prove this.
Kang the Conquer
Time

NemeBro
There is, to my knowledge, no 100% concrete way to prove that the external world exists without appealing to one's sense data, and even said sense data doesn't actually completely prove that the external world exists. We assume that the external world exists. However, that assumption is better-supported than the assumption that there is no world outside of our minds or bodies. There is little to no reason to suppose that there's nothing that exists independently of myself.

Wonder Man
St. Thomas recieved the proof for us.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.