The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
This has solidified itself as my second favorite fantasy series. ASOIAF will likely always be first (though this book gave it a run for its money), but Kingkiller has been knocked back to third. I cant believe it took just one book of the Stormlight Archive to do that. The climax of Way of Kings had me absolutely pulled in, and the epilogue was just mindblowing revelation after mindblowing revelation. The entire last fifth of the book was some of the best reading I've ever done. This is the first book of a series projected to be 10 novels long before its conclusion, and he answered questions I didn't expect to see any kind of hint towards until book 5.

Everyone seems to consider Words of Radiance to be even better than the first, with some claiming the first is all fluff that sets up for the main attraction. If this is fluff, I cant wait to see what Sanderson has in store for the next book. If you guys haven't read it, definitely do so. This is quintessential fantasy at its very best.

http://i.imgur.com/JWRVE6J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tXyxhzu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QEMTn0b.jpg

Dreampanther
Excellent news. I just finished the Mistborn books and loved them. Then I made the mistake of reading his first novel and just couldn't get into it. But since we seem to have the same taste in fantasy I'll just skip Elantris and move on to The Stormlight Archive. Have you read Steelheart yet? Seems quite interesting as well.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Excellent news. I just finished the Mistborn books and loved them. Then I made the mistake of reading his first novel and just couldn't get into it. But since we seem to have the same taste in fantasy I'll just skip Elantris and move on to The Stormlight Archive. Have you read Steelheart yet? Seems quite interesting as well. Steelheart? Not yet, though I bought it on my kindle. Its part of my huge backlog of books. I'll probably start that one after Words of Radiance.

Mistborn is also on that list. I've heard good things about it, so I'm optimistic.

If you can, avoid all spoilers while reading TWoK. Its not a book you want spoiled for you

Dreampanther
Ya hoo - Calamity is out! The conclusion to the Steelheart series, Brandon Sanderson's books about superheroes.

Dreampanther
Finally! Got sidetracked along the way, with Sanderson's Bands of Mourning that came out in January and then Calamity in Feb, not to mention Brown's Morning Star (though let's not talk about that).

All I can say is: Wow! Like you said, definitely one of my favourite fantasy reads ever. It took me a while to get into it, because compared to his other worlds (Mistborn and Reckoners) The Stormlight Archive is infinitely more complex and layered, with a huge cast. But damn! It is so totally worth it, because once it starts picking up speed it is virtually impossible to put it down and stop reading.

Thank goodness I have the Words of Radiance lined up already, so I can jump straight in without having to wait. reading smile

Arachnid1
Finally! Got sidetracked along the way, with Sanderson's Bands of Mourning that came out in January and then Calamity in Feb, not to mention Brown's Morning Star (though let's not talk about that).

All I can say is: Wow! Like you said, definitely one of my favourite fantasy reads ever. It took me a while to get into it, because compared to his other worlds (Mistborn and Reckoners) The Stormlight Archive is infinitely more complex and layered, with a huge cast. But damn! It is so totally worth it, because once it starts picking up speed it is virtually impossible to put it down and stop reading.

Thank goodness I have the Words of Radiance lined up already, so I can jump straight in without having to wait. reading smile I'm glad you enjoyed it! It really was quite the ride. I have yet to read Words of Radiance though. I've been putting it off and reading a bunch of other books in my backlog before it since we don't have a date for the third yet.

I haven't read the Reckoners series yet. I just started Blood Song, so I'll give the series a go right after this book. You should consider reading Blood Song too. Many I've talked to consider it absolute gold.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Song-Ravens-Shadow-Novel-ebook/dp/B00ABKGG0C

Dreampanther
I read the Raven's Shadow trilogy last year. Loved the first book and thought the second was even better! Awesome characters and epic fights. But the third book spends more than half the time describing this long, interminable journey that just made me want to skip forward.

Exactly like Red Rising, if it wasn't for the third book I would have given this trilogy five stars out of five, instead I'm giving the first two books five stars each and the third only gets three stars, making it an average of four stars. Still good, but it could have (and should have) been great.

Arachnid1
I read the Raven's Shadow trilogy last year. Loved the first book and thought the second was even better! Awesome characters and epic fights. But the third book spends more than half the time describing this long, interminable journey that just made me want to skip forward.

Exactly like Red Rising, if it wasn't for the third book I would have given this trilogy five stars out of five, instead I'm giving the first two books five stars each and the third only gets three stars, making it an average of four stars. Still good, but it could have (and should have) been great. Yeah, most people have told me to read the first book and skip the second and third. Apparently the main character becomes a side character after the first and it kind of ruins everything. If you say read the second though, I'll give it a look.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah, most people have told me to read the first book and skip the second and third. Apparently the main character becomes a side character after the first and it kind of ruins everything. If you say read the second though, I'll give it a look.

I admit I understand why people are so conflicted about the second book. The emphasis moves away from just one main character and some good people are forced to do some bad things. But I loved it. I like characters who are not perfect, who are flawed and conflicted and multi-dimensional and have a tendency to to take out their rage on their enemies. stick out tongue

UCanShootMyNova
Really enjoyed these first two books as well. Like Robert Jordan lite ( a good thing ).

The Nuul
Ya hoo - Calamity is out! The conclusion to the Steelheart series, Brandon Sanderson's books about superheroes.

I have just started Calamity and so far it's not as good as steelheart

I was also disappointed in the firefight book because of lack of action. the ending was good though

I hope Calamity is good

UCanShootMyNova
I've only read the first two books. How many are out currently?

Dreampanther
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
I've only read the first two books. How many are out currently?

Only 2 so far.

UCanShootMyNova
When's the next one coming out?

Dreampanther
Going to be a while - according to his website he's at about 80% of the first draft of Book 3. So probably sometime next year.

http://brandonsanderson.com/

UCanShootMyNova
Makes me happy.

Balgoritin8
Perfect

HulkIsHulk
Welcome to the Rosharan system.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.