Should TFA ended with Luke saying to Rey "the force is strong in my family"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

redpill
in the trailer you hear luke say

The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too.

should luke have said that to rey on the island planet Ahch-To at the end of TFA when he turns around and finally meets Rey?

ares834
Nope. That would have been awful.

Luke not speaking is far more powerful. Although, I feel that final shot of the rotating copter shot should have been removed.

redpill
Originally posted by ares834
Nope. That would have been awful.

Luke not speaking is far more powerful. Although, I feel that final shot of the rotating copter shot should have been removed.

i felt and was waiting for him to say *something* roll eyes (sarcastic) confused

Sith Master X
Originally posted by ares834
Although, I feel that final shot of the rotating copter shot should have been removed.

Sam here. That kind of shot is what you would expect to see when two characters are approaching one another and about to engage in a battle or something.

A weird way to cut to the credits for sure.

quanchi112
No words. Just make it more brief as it went on for too long.

Galan007
Originally posted by redpill

The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too.

should luke have said that to rey on the island planet Ahch-To at the end of TFA when he turns around and finally meets Rey? Nope. It was a far more fitting end to see him looking disheveled and broken. Gives us a better sense of his current mental state, imo.

Lord Lucien

should luke have said that to rey on the island planet Ahch-To at the end of TFA when he turns around and finally meets Rey? What, just blurt that out as she approached, apropos of nothing? A pretty unfocused and clunky attempt at ending on a dramatic line. The silence worked well.

The shaky helicopter cam on the other hand...

redpill
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
What, just blurt that out as she approached, apropos of nothing? A pretty unfocused and clunky attempt at ending on a dramatic line. The silence worked well.

The shaky helicopter cam on the other hand...

rey hands luke the lightsaber.

he takes it, looks at it, then says, no, this is yours.

rey shakes her head no, i don't understand.

luke says i know you've been waiting for your family to return on jakku.

rey nods

luke says

movie ends on that cliffhanger

NewLanceWindu
lmao That's still so shitty.

Galan007
rey hands luke the lightsaber.

he takes it, looks at it, then says, no, this is yours.

rey shakes her head no, i don't understand.

luke says i know you've been waiting for your family to return on jakku.

rey nods

luke says
The Force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too. ...And then he lets out a Joker-cackle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10m7bDQhpkw

*fade to black*

thumb up

redpill
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
lmao That's still so shitty.

then perhaps at the very beginning of the movie, before jakku

you hear luke say

then close the movie as it did.

or when we first see rey as a scavenger she hears that voice

Bashar Teg
i think if that happened it would have given SW aids

quanchi112
Saying that before the credits roll is a terrible idea.

redpill
Originally posted by quanchi112
Saying that before the credits roll is a terrible idea. then perhaps at the very beginning of the movie, before jakku

Lord Lucien
The movie doesn't need a mystical voiceover from the character that the opening scrawl just told us has vanished. It's not a LotR film, we don't need anything deep and epic sounding like Galadriel to set the stage.

It was a trailer line meant to hearken the audience back to RotJ and kickstart the nostalgia feels. It did that. It doesn't need to be somewhere in the movie, and any scenario where it would, wouldn't fit in to the rest of the film's tone--or be appropriate coming from Luke given his limited role.

It's just an advertisement.

queeq
It is.

red8
No, because I don't want Rey to be related to Luke or Kylo or anybody else.

queeq
What does that have to do with it being advertisement?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by red8
No, because I don't want Rey to be related to Luke or Kylo or anybody else. The sentence is nebulous in it's conclusion. You could easily interpret it as "My family has the force. So do you, unrelated person."

Or it could be a line of dialogue intended as a nod to Kylo Ren's lineage--he's not speaking to Rey in the trailer. It could be from an unused flashback scene. Most likely it was trailer-bait used to get the audience speculating on who it is that's related to Luke. Kylo, Rey, John Boyega... It's to create hype. And it worked.

Seriously, stop overthinking it. It was an advertisement.

queeq
I think it was trailer bait.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.