Lucifer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Lucifer is based on an idea by Neil Gaiman. Tired of being Hell's warden, Lucifer decides to go on a vacation and ends up in L.A. (of course). Most critics seem to have hated the pilot but I loved it. Tom Ellis has a blast as Lucifer and (just like Lucifer) I am tired of everything being gritty, grim, dark and depressing. What's wrong with just having a bit of fun?

Bardock42
It looks ****ing awful. Lucifer Morningstar doesn't need to be dark, depressing and gritty, but this just looks stupid, and basically not related to the source material, which I hold in high esteem. Not sure why it needs to associate itself with it.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Bardock42
It looks ****ing awful. Lucifer Morningstar doesn't need to be dark, depressing and gritty, but this just looks stupid, and basically not related to the source material, which I hold in high esteem. Not sure why it needs to associate itself with it.

So you haven't seen it yet?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Dreampanther
So you haven't seen it yet?
Yeah, just the promos.

Isn't there only one episode out yet?

Galan007
If you're a fan of Carey's characterization of Lucifer from the comics, the pilot was terrible.

janus77
Very funny and watchable. Not quite what I would have envisioned (something more adult and character driven), but the lead is charming (if borderline camp) and the music is fine.

This show has a sort of Hank Moody/Californication vibe, but without the adult content. Could be really brilliant, could just be good.

TheVaultDweller
I didn't find the pilot too bad. I guess I just don't have that many expectations considering I am not too familiar with the comic it's based on. As for the Californication similarities... that is probably because Tom Kapinos wrote the first episode.

BruceSkywalker
decent ep last night

Dreampanther
I have found that 99% of the complaints revolve around one fact: The show is not the same as the comic books. But what confuses me about this complaint is that the makers of the show made it clear from the beginning that they never intended the show to be like the comic book series.

Yes, they took the character and the premise from the original comic book but they never hid the fact that the series would go in a different direction. Make no mistake, I am a big Neil Gaiman fan, but I do feel these complaints to be somewhat unfair.

Personally, I just loved the show for exactly what it was: A tongue-in-the-cheek, fresh reinterpretation of the classic buddy-cop premise, not to be taken seriously.

HueyFreeman
I have found that 99% of the complaints revolve around one fact: The show is not the same as the comic books. But what confuses me about this complaint is that the makers of the show made it clear from the beginning that they never intended the show to be like the comic book series.

Yes, they took the character and the premise from the original comic book but they never hid the fact that the series would go in a different direction. Make no mistake, I am a big Neil Gaiman fan, but I do feel these complaints to be somewhat unfair.

Personally, I just loved the show for exactly what it was: A tongue-in-the-cheek, fresh reinterpretation of the classic buddy-cop premise, not to be taken seriously. Its a little different when the concept barely resembles the source material at all. Why even bother mentioning the vertigo series? Theres going in a different direction and theres whatever this is.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Its a little different when the concept barely resembles the source material at all. Why even bother mentioning the vertigo series? Theres going in a different direction and theres whatever this is.

Not exactly sure where you are heading with this post? confused I think most of these points were already addressed.

Again, if your complaint is mostly that the tv series does not resemble the comic books (apart from the original concept, that Lucifer has left Hell and is now chilling on Earth) then you are not, in fact, reviewing the show at all. You are reviewing a show that does not exist and never did exist.

cdtm
I don't mind making it into CSI: Lucifer. Movies and shows differ from the source material all the time, this is just an extreme example of that..

MY problem is with the typical TV bashing on religion, and the way they portray "Evil.is good, good is evil."

Like the preacher in Walking Dead being ramped up from moral hypocrite in the comics, to bumbling foolish butt monkey. I'm hardly a religious guy, and don't have any problems with relgion being criticised in general, but this stuff stands out to me.

In the comics, the conflict between Lucifer and the Angels was that the angels supported an orderly design from their god. While Lucifer was an anarchist who wanted to live as he wished.

But they were BOTH assholes. People suffered and died all the time because of their actions/inactions.

But in the show, Lucifer comes across like a decent guy, while the angels are STILL assholes. And the angel even criticises Lucifer for being too merciful? That a balance needs to be maintained?

So, where's the angel detective, then? What angels are actually saving lives? Because all the angel we saw did was complain about Lucifer helping people, but we never see him helping anyone. So how is Lucifer destroying a balance by being a nice guy? Arguments of "balance" imply someone else has the job of being a good guy, but it doesn't look like the angels are too nice...

babydee

Personally, I just loved the show for exactly what it was: A tongue-in-the-cheek, fresh reinterpretation of the classic buddy-cop premise, not to be taken seriously.

I agree. No the show is not like the comics, but, as stated, it was never intended to.

The show is pretty funny, it's not my favorite show, but I do enjoy it. It's funny, witty and doesn't drag on and on.

BruceSkywalker
does anyone know if this is returning?

TheVaultDweller
No news yet, as far as I know. I have been keeping up with this for the most part. One thing I can say is that anyone who was afraid of Lucifer being portrayed as an innocent good guy don't have to worry. He's still a complete and utter selfish a$$hole, who only ever does anything "good" if he feels it can somehow further his personal agenda. It's actually quite staggering how self-absorbed he is. At least that's how he has come across to me so far.

Dreampanther
I've been a fan of Lindsey Gort since Impastor. Looks like I'm not the only one.

http://i.imgur.com/ZfiTV1Q.jpg

PaleMysts
I've seen every episode and while I think it's a bit cheesy, it's still a fun show to watch. Lucifer and that female detective chick have a lot of chemistry so that makes it worth watching too

Dreampanther
Ha. Nice reveal of the Sinnerman in this week's episode.

riv6672
^^^that was pretty good, yeah. Cant wait for the explanation behind it.

Patient_Leech
THIS SHOW IS THE DEVIL AND SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE AIR!!! mad mad mad

I've been a fan of Lindsey Gort since Impastor. Looks like I'm not the only one.

http://i.imgur.com/ZfiTV1Q.jpg

I think I'm a fan now, too. thumb up

She looks mad at her ass, though.

riv6672
She looks intrigued.

Dreampanther
This week's episode was the Best. Episode. Ever.

jane21august
I am a big Fan of Lucifer show and their medical examiner is so cute same as detective daughter.

Impediment
I just started watching this and I like it enough to keep watching.

Flyattractor
Watched it a few times. Got some hot babes on it, but other then that... It is just another Late Night TV Soap Opera.

Been there. Seen it Before. Didn't like it then... same feelings now.

riv6672
Originally posted by jane21august
I am a big Fan of Lucifer show and their medical examiner is so cute same as detective daughter.
In completely different ways, right?!? confused

riv6672
And lo, you can NOT keep a good devil down!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2018/06/lucifer-saved-netflix-picks-up-series-season-4-after-fox-cancelation-1202411666/amp/

Picked up for a fourth season by Netflix.

NewGuy01
Neat.

Impediment
It's a good show, but absolutely nothing like the comic book.

Surtur
Originally posted by Impediment
It's a good show, but absolutely nothing like the comic book.

True, but I doubt any show could successfully adapt the comic.

I do wish the tv version was a bit more powerful.

Impediment
If Lucifer can be saved from cancellation, the I want to see Hellblazer/Constantine saved, too.

Darth Thor
^ There was a strong enough fan base there for Lucifer.

TheVaultDweller
Lucifer got a fair shot though. Constantine didn't. Lucifer got an absolute prime slot, and then 2 full seasons to build up a proper fanbase. Constantine was stuck in a shitty, awkward, late-night slot, then shifted to another shitty, awkward, late-night slot IIRC, and then cancelled before half the first season was finished.

But eh, a live-action Constantine solo series (at least a Matt Ryan version) is not on the cards any time soon. Between the animated stuff and Legends S4, he's going to get plenty of screen time as it is.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Impediment
If Lucifer can be saved from cancellation, the I want to see Hellblazer/Constantine saved, too.

Well, they did the animated Constantine: City of Demons thing, but those episodes are laughably short (literally only a few minutes a piece). It's basically one episode of a normal show broken into fragments.

JMG_icKBaTs

One surprising upside though is that, if anything, they are more willing to indulge the gore, violence (and even some swearing) compared to the live-action CW stuff. They even threw Nightmare Nurse in there.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Lucifer got a fair shot though. Constantine didn't. Lucifer got an absolute prime slot, and then 2 full seasons to build up a proper fanbase. Constantine was stuck in a shitty, awkward, late-night slot, then shifted to another shitty, awkward, late-night slot IIRC, and then cancelled before half the first season was finished.

But eh, a live-action Constantine solo series (at least a Matt Ryan version) is not on the cards any time soon. Between the animated stuff and Legends S4, he's going to get plenty of screen time as it is.

That may the reason. But just stating that whatever the reason, fact is it didnt garner the fanbase to justify saving it.

But yeah like you said, at least the Arrowverse continues to use the character. I think thats the most we can expect. Certainly better than what most cancelled shows get. And Constantine himself was the best part of the show any how (much like Lucifer tbh).

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Darth Thor
That may the reason. But just stating that whatever the reason, fact is it didnt garner the fanbase to justify saving it.

But yeah like you said, at least the Arrowverse continues to use the character. I think thats the most we can expect. Certainly better than what most cancelled shows get. And Constantine himself was the best part of the show any how (much like Lucifer tbh).

I liked Manny as well. Didn't really care for that show's interpretation of Chas and Zed though. But, based on the CW animated stuff, which is all the same character as we get on Arrow/Flash/Legends/his own show (seeing as they carried certain plot lines over from the series), they've retconned Chas somewhat. Because, IIRC, they do that same sick daughter plot in the show, but with Faust, and Chas was American there as well.

Dreampanther
Season 4 out on Netflix.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.