Vader in Rogue One

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Darth-Vader-Role-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-May-Bigger-Than-We-Thought-108447.html

Thoughts? eek!

ares834
There is far more detail on MSW.

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/a-classic-villain-will-have-some-action-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

MSW pretty much nailed TFA months before release so they are very credible.

Anyway, it sounds awesome.

Beniboybling
Stunt suits? No more slow robot Vader. eek!

queeq
There goes the Lucas vision!

Well, it makes sense. And I don't mind seeing old Vader again, and now suited and as a bad a$$. Fits the story, after all, he is the one sent tot retrieve the DS plans. Could turn out pretty cool, actually.

Beniboybling
I only hope if (when) he is voiced by James Earl Jones, they will get it right, not too keen on the Rebels voice over.

But maybe it has something to do with his age...

Rebel95
I hope we get to see some badass action sequences with him.

Bashar Teg
i'm ok with this 100%. lets do this while james earl jones is alive. thumb up

queeq
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I only hope if (when) he is voiced by James Earl Jones, they will get it right, not too keen on the Rebels voice over.

But maybe it has something to do with his age...

Was that JEJ? Wow...

I think they directed him wrong or they got the audio filtering bad. I don't think age HAS to be bad for getting the voice right. The guy that used to voice all the trailers in Hollywood until a few years ago, did so until he died.

Alec Guinness managed to get his voice very close to his voice as it was IN Lawrence of Arabia when scenes were restored in 1989. It may take a bit of work and practising, but it should be possible.

Beniboybling
Now I think about it JEJ did the voice of Vader in RoTS didn't he? He was perfect then and that was only ten years ago.

That said he's 84 now *shrug*.

Bentley
When you thought Kylo Ren couldn't possible look more of a second-string villain...

They will bring Vader back!

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Stunt suits? No more slow robot Vader. eek!

Really?

That's Awesome.

queeq
Jumping Vader...

JediRobin23
if the movie sucks, I hope Vader will have a small role in this movie

quanchi112
We even see Vader move around in the trailer in the same slow fashion. I can't wait to antagonize the Vader fans after I see this.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by quanchi112
We even see Vader move around in the trailer in the same slow fashion. I can't wait to antagonize the Vader fans after I see this.

He is in the official latest trailer. Although there are fan made trailers showing him in slow motion that are fake

quanchi112
Originally posted by JediRobin23
He is in the official latest trailer. Although there are fan made trailers showing him in slow motion that are fake I didn't say motion I said in slow fashion. He didn't look quick, sport.

JediRobin23
Not sure what you mean by slow fashion? I recall just see him walking

quanchi112
Not sure what you mean by slow fashion? I recall just see him walking He looked to travel with the same movement speed.

Rebel95
Seriously? He was walking lol

queeq
OMG...

Besides, you don't need to be super speedy Flashlike fast to be a menace. There are other ways... Film and characterisation can be quite versatile, although judging by the latest superheromovies you'd think there's only one way. But truly, there isn't...

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rebel95
Seriously? He was walking lol Yes, I know. He travels with the same speed in the rebels series as well. He isn't a quick mobile guy. That won't change.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by queeq
OMG...

Besides, you don't need to be super speedy Flashlike fast to be a menace. There are other ways... Film and characterisation can be quite versatile, although judging by the latest superheromovies you'd think there's only one way. But truly, there isn't...

thumb up

But that said Rebels already showed him combating Ahsoka and easily keeping up with her speed. So he's clearly not slow.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
thumb up

But that said Rebels already showed him combating Ahsoka and easily keeping up with her speed. So he's clearly not slow. Pay attention to what I say not what your brain thinks I said. Mobility wise he's slow I never said he's slow with a light saber. He is slower mobility wise. Luke demonstrated how slow he was in Rotj. That's the same Vader. When he has to move around and change his position that's when he's at his worst.

smile

Bashar Teg
quan, you know this isn't a versus forum, right?

also, just fyi, there is a star wars versus forum. http://www.killermovies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=86

quanchi112
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
quan, you know this isn't a versus forum, right?

also, just fyi, there is a star wars versus forum. http://www.killermovies.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=86 I commented on falsehoods regarding Vader who is appearing in rogue one. This is relevant to Vader being in a Rogue One.

Bashar Teg
just seems like you're in versus mode. separating hand speed (bionic) with leg speed (also bionic) and using circumstantial evidence (vader walking slow in OT) as overall proof that he was slow footed and hobbled.

quanchi112
just seems like you're in versus mode. separating hand speed (bionic) with leg speed (also bionic) and using circumstantial evidence (vader walking slow in OT) as overall proof that he was slow footed and hobbled.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jDs2UGCP2Fk

15 seconds or so in we see Luke kick the unsuspecting Vader who takes over five seconds to rise to his feet. Around 1:20 we see Luke easily create space between he and the slower moving Vader. Vader is quick with a light saber but his legs and oversized body lost a lot of mobility when he was suit ridden. That's stating the obvious.

Ps. I'm always in versus mode.

Bashar Teg
Ps. I'm always in versus mode.

laughing out loud my bad. carry on.

JediRobin23
Not sure if I care about Vaders speed....

@quan. But you should play heroes mode in battlefront. Vader is so much better to play than Luke. Vader is slower but he has force choke and lightsabers throws. Luke is faster but his force push is slow (like he has to focus or something). Force choke is instantaneous.

Anyway, knowledge of the force is better than raw speed. Unless your even with knowledge, than you need the lightsaber (eg dooku vs yoda)

Darth Thor
I don't think it was ever a case of Vader not being capable of moving fast. Was more to do with the fact that he's so powerful and so far beyond the opponents he usually faces, that he simply doesn't need to move fast the majority of he time.

But like I said if he Needs to move faster he will, as he displayed against Ahsoka in Rebels.

Bashar Teg
0Y33L80oObQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y33L80oObQ

JediRobin23
I just hope to see Vader force choke some rebel scum. At this time, no one is equal enough to face Vader where he will even need a lightsaber.

Unless there's still some remaining Jedi after order 66.....?

Seeing the emperor in Rogue one would be very cool. Unless the movie sucks of course, just in case I got to totally forget about this movie.

Darth Thor
0Y33L80oObQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y33L80oObQ

Exactly!

queeq
Paulie... there it is.

I just hope to see Vader force choke some rebel scum. At this time, no one is equal enough to face Vader where he will even need a lightsaber.

Unless there's still some remaining Jedi after order 66.....?

Seeing the emperor in Rogue one would be very cool. Unless the movie sucks of course, just in case I got to totally forget about this movie.

Agreed!

quanchi112
Not sure if I care about Vaders speed....

@quan. But you should play heroes mode in battlefront. Vader is so much better to play than Luke. Vader is slower but he has force choke and lightsabers throws. Luke is faster but his force push is slow (like he has to focus or something). Force choke is instantaneous.

Anyway, knowledge of the force is better than raw speed. Unless your even with knowledge, than you need the lightsaber (eg dooku vs yoda) We have seen Luke move faster and it makes sense since his movement isn't hindered by a suit. In the game from what I've heard Vader is slower and more powerful. I didn't say a thing about ehat is better I merely commented on his lack of mobility.

queeq
Wow... you are obsessed with speed...

quanchi112
Wow... you are obsessed with speed... No, I am just pointing out Vader doesn't have it. Vader fans refuse to accept it.

Bashar Teg
speed is very important, when you're running away from vader.

oh wait...it's not. he can just kick back in his meditation chamber and remote-choke his enemies if he's feeling lazy.

quanchi112
speed is very important, when you're running away from vader.

oh wait...it's not. he can just kick back in his meditation chamber and remote-choke his enemies if he's feeling lazy. Vader is very good at choking out non warrior types or his wife the same woman he went to the dark side for. It's convenient to use powers when a guy can't fight back since he isn't in the same room and isn't expecting an attack to begin with.

Bashar Teg
a fair point. i've never seen him even try to choke a force adept. however this also doesn't prove your assertion that it can't happen.

quanchi112
a fair point. i've never seen him even try to choke a force adept. however this also doesn't prove your assertion that it can't happen. It can happen because it has happened in canon it's just Vader hasn't done it. There's some great stuff in the clone wars animated show.

Darth Thor
a fair point. i've never seen him even try to choke a force adept. however this also doesn't prove your assertion that it can't happen.

How often does Palpatine force choke force adepts? Lol

JediRobin23
Hmm....I guess Vader is quite limited by his suit. He's powerful with the force, but how much of his powers can be used to defeat other Jedi, besides throwing objects at them, force communicating, not having a lightning ability. It would come down to a lightsaber, hence Luke beating him in ROTJ.....

Perhaps Vader can only pick on the weak....

Palpatine probably retired his lighsaber cause he no longer needed it by ROTJ

Darth Thor
Hmm....I guess Vader is quite limited by his suit.

The new Canon states he's more powerful after his injuries than before. It's only his "Potential" that was massively reduced.

quanchi112
The new Canon states he's more powerful after his injuries than before. It's only his "Potential" that was massively reduced. Being more powerful doesn't mean he wasn't limited by his suit. Words really do confuse you.

Bashar Teg
Iirc that directly contradicts george lucas. I guess we really are gonna see some fanservice in rogue one. I hope it's just that and not a sign of more films to come with Vader.

queeq
Lucas contradicted himself many times about SW. He's hardly reliable when it comes to stuff like that.

Bashar Teg
He has, but not on this one. Unless I missed some commentary.

Darth Thor

Most the time when Lucas referred to Vader losing "power" after Mustafar he was talking about Potential Power. Like in the ESB audio commentary where he says "but Luke still has that," he obviously didn't mean Luke is already a powerhouse. Just that he still has the Potential Power which Vader has lost a lot of.

As for how powerful OT Vader is in general, Lucas has flip flopped on that one. Going from him now being a slow and old robot man, to him being 80% as powerful as Palpatine.

Dave Filoni also says that Lucas was very adamant never to lowball Vader in combat.

Bashar Teg
When he said he was 80% it was in the context of him having lost the potential of becoming twice as powerful as palpatine. he was still suggesting that mustafar made him less powerful.

Zenwolf
Regardless Vader being slow, has kinda been out of date considering the EU material he has moved quite fast and in this New Canon much the same way. Soo...yeah.

StiltmanFTW
He is even walking fast in the trailer stick out tongue

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Regardless Vader being slow, has kinda been out of date considering the EU material he has moved quite fast and in this New Canon much the same way. Soo...yeah.

Been out of date since Grievous tbh.

Zenwolf
Been out of date since Grievous tbh.

Yeah I was gonna bring up Grevious, because if they can make him move as he did and much of the same tech went into Vader....yeah, don't see why moving would be much an issue.

Though even before Grevious came along, Vader still shown to be quick.

Darth Thor
^ Yeah Grievous changed the whole "slow robot man" thing, and Count Dooku changed the whole "he's weak because he's old" nonsense.

I've got Nothing against Lucas but was literally making this stuff up as he went along. He further added to (or changed) the mythology throughout TCW series. I mean Anakin controlling the Son and Daughter on Mortis shows he had a lot more than just double Palpatine's potential.

JediRobin23
If they can build a fregin deathstar or even a starkiller base in the Star Wars universe, then they can easily put on suit upgrades on Vader.

Vader may have just been shocked and surprised by Luke in ROTJ when hate made him powerful

quanchi112
Been out of date since Grievous tbh. What does Grievous have to do with Vader ? Vader is slow because he's been canonically slow in films, animated series, etc.

queeq
Well, Grievous does have something to do with Vader. Because the technology used for him was later used for Vader. I mean, it's not in the movies, but that was always the idea behind the cyborg technology in Grievous.I believe that is Lucas too.

Well, he never talked about Vader like this before the PT. And he changed his mind about a lot of things between the OT and the OT.

Darth Thor
Well, Grievous does have something to do with Vader. Because the technology used for him was later used for Vader. I mean, it's not in the movies, but that was always the idea behind the cyborg technology in Grievous.I believe that is Lucas too.

thumb up

Well, he never talked about Vader like this before the PT. And he changed his mind about a lot of things between the OT and the OT.

And again during the Prequel trilogy, and again post prequels while making TCW.

But his latest, and original take on it seems to be Vader being the big undefeatable bad guy.

quanchi112

Well, he never talked about Vader like this before the PT. And he changed his mind about a lot of things between the OT and the OT. Did Vader's hands move like Grievous' ? What can you concretely say is exactly the same. It's about as relevant as saying a two flat screen TI's are the same because they are TV's.

Vader's movements are his own just like Grievous's movements are his own.

JediRobin23
Cant forget about the emotion of the OT and ROTJ.....This is too technical....

Vader's still awesome....Let him shine in Rogue one possibly

Vader vs Luke was father vs son....OT classic

queeq
Look, dude. I didn't make this up. I always thought that kind of relationship between two technologies is rather irrelevant.

And yes, the original take was that Vader was the big, undefeatable bad guy. Speed was never an issue in this. Lucas turned him into a feeble cripple by means of the PT.

JediRobin23
Look, dude. I didn't make this up. I always thought that kind of relationship between two technologies is rather irrelevant.

And yes, the original take was that Vader was the big, undefeatable bad guy. Speed was never an issue in this. Lucas turned him into a feeble cripple by means of the PT.

I'm with you buddy. Like I said, too technical on the physics. Luke vs Vader was always More about Luke saving his Dad cause there was always good in him......

quanchi112

And yes, the original take was that Vader was the big, undefeatable bad guy. Speed was never an issue in this. Lucas turned him into a feeble cripple by means of the PT. Vader was defeated in the first film. Granted it was a dogfight but Han bested him. He was also handily defeated by Luke in Rotj. He was an imposing villain but he was never close to being undefeatable. He didn't really have much competition since he took on a geriatric Kenobi but speed has always been a deficiency.

Bashar Teg
i find this argument silly, only because we all know damn well that if ep4 was filmed today, kenobi and vader would have been doing all kinds of kung fu shit complete with crazy leaps and backflips. dooku & palpatine both put the squash on old age equalling slowness, and general grievous ended the unwritten bionic=slow rule.

with that said, i always liked the (EU?) idea that vader's suit was dreadfully uncomfortable to him, agitating his constant rage and making him all-the-meaner. i mean, it's not like he just had his limbs cut off. his flesh was also grilled by lava. not exactly superficial.

Darth Thor
For what it's worth, Filoni was Lucas's protege for 10 years, and he says Lucas was very adamant not to ever lowball Vader's power and abilities.

quanchi112
i find this argument silly, only because we all know damn well that if ep4 was filmed today, kenobi and vader would have been doing all kinds of kung fu shit complete with crazy leaps and backflips. dooku & palpatine both put the squash on old age equalling slowness, and general grievous ended the unwritten bionic=slow rule.

with that said, i always liked the (EU?) idea that vader's suit was dreadfully uncomfortable to him, agitating his constant rage and making him all-the-meaner. i mean, it's not like he just had his limbs cut off. his flesh was also grilled by lava. not exactly superficial. Vader's movements in the new rebels series are also the same as he was shown in the first three eps. We see Luke was not slow. Old age does equal slowness but they can always use the force to make up for their older bodies but Vader is also older and in a suit. His suit doesn't equal to Grievous' suit. Can he twirl his hands like Grievous does ?

Vader is still portrayed moving in the same manner in today's times as he was back then. Rogue one will leave Vader fans no more excuses. Special effects are up to date and I'm betting he won't be zipping all over the place.

Let's see who is correct.

smile

Bashar Teg
i hope you're kinda correct quan. "kinda" meaning that i don't want to see kungfu force-unleashed vader. at the same time, i don't want to see the old hobbled geriatric that you're obviously hoping to see.

quanchi112
i hope you're kinda correct quan. "kinda" meaning that i don't want to see kungfu force-unleashed vader. at the same time, i don't want to see the old hobbled geriatric that you're obviously hoping to see. He wasn't hobbled he just wasn't quick mobility wise. He's quick with a saber. Trust me I'll be right since rebels has his movements relative to the same speed in the Ot films.

queeq
Which is better than the silly ballets that, battle wise, don't make any sense at all, anyway. Any PT Jedi would be slaughtered by a real swordsman, with all their twirling and dancing.

quanchi112
Which is better than the silly ballets that, battle wise, don't make any sense at all, anyway. Any PT Jedi would be slaughtered by a real swordsman, with all their twirling and dancing. Iyo not mine. Pt were Vader and Kenobi's prime. They'd school their older shittier selves. Speed matters.

queeq
Yes, if you want to run off a cliff.

quanchi112
Yes, if you want to run off a cliff. Nah. Choreography matters.

queeq
Oh, it's a dance now.

Bashar Teg
http://i.imgur.com/qTpo0MB.gif

Rebel95
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/star-wars-rogue-one-international-trailer-darth-vader-kyber-crystal-felicity-jones-a7411006.html

New international trailer with another look at Vader.

Darth Thor
Yeah Vader's gonna just raise his hand and people will die.

Zenwolf
Speaking of these spin offs, since were also getting a Han Solo one, does anyone else think we'll be getting a spin off for each PoV?

Example Rogue One= Rebels PoV

Han Solo= Smuggler PoV

Boba Fett(more than likely they will make one)= Bounty Hunter PoV

Empire= Imperial PoV

Etc, etc

Which would help broaden the horizon of the SWU and be able to include new things with each spin off movie.

Bashar Teg
It would broaden the SW universe more to get away from that whole era and every previous characters lifespan, except perhaps Yoda.

Zenwolf
Well given that's where the current focus is, don't think we'll be leaving it any time soon.

Bashar Teg
Well given that's where the current focus is, don't think we'll be leaving it any time soon.

Yeah I know sad

quanchi112
I'd like to see the old republic explored.

queeq
I don't care about the Old Republic. I want good stories, preferably about non-Force users.

quanchi112
I don't care about the Old Republic. I want good stories, preferably about non-Force users. I didn't say to redirect the franchise I said I'd be interested in an anthology film exploring this era not more Ot anthology films. I think most agree with me they'd rather go in an era refreshing and new not the same old imperial troops and what not. I think everyone wants great stories.

Bashar Teg
I want to see the old republic. Not an adaptation of the game but a new saga from that era

quanchi112
I want to see the old republic. Not an adaptation of the game but a new saga from that era thumb up

Rebel95
Yeah, that'd be cool to see on the big screen

Flyattractor
I want to see a movie adaptation of the old 80's Droid Cartoon.

Lord Lucien
It was already made. It's called "Deadly Friend."

Flyattractor
but I want a FUN version.

Lord Lucien
Have you seen Deadly Friend?

http://www.i-mockery.com/halloween/greatest/pics/deadly-friend5.gif

JediRobin23
Vader in rebels

https://youtu.be/0UVJSJOiLk4

Kinda cool. Although he didn't do any other force powers other than force pull.

On a side note, what the hell happened after the explosion?

Lord Lucien
On a side note, what the hell happened after the explosion? Well f*ck, I'm glad you asked. It's good to see young people eager to learn.

Darth Thor
Vader in rebels

https://youtu.be/0UVJSJOiLk4

Kinda cool.

Yep, and clearly not the slow Robot man Quanchi wishes him to be.

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Well f*ck, I'm glad you asked. It's good to see young people eager to learn.

That's just not relevant to us Star Wars nerds. We're only concerned with what happened a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away..

quanchi112
Yep, and clearly not the slow Robot man Quanchi wishes him to be.

That's just not relevant to us Star Wars nerds. We're only concerned with what happened a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away.. Vader is undeniably slower than the pre suit version despite your unwillingness to accept what you actually see. Try to be objective, sport.

Rebel95
Not necessarily slower, but definitely less agile. I believe in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, one of the jedi he fights remarks that Vader is faster than any jedi he's ever seen, other than Yoda.

quanchi112
Not necessarily slower, but definitely less agile. I believe in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, one of the jedi he fights remarks that Vader is faster than any jedi he's ever seen, other than Yoda. Hyperbolic statements do not override real time action. He's slower. Deal with it.

Rebel95
Not a hyperbolic statement at all. He specifically says Vader is faster than any jedi he's ever seen besides Yoda. Read some of his comics and you'll see there too.

Darth Thor
Not necessarily slower, but definitely less agile.

thumb up

Rebels showed us that. Quanchi's been proven wrong again. I'm still waiting for his apology to all Vader fans after it was outright confirmed Vader > Maul in combat.

quanchi112
Not a hyperbolic statement at all. He specifically says Vader is faster than any jedi he's ever seen besides Yoda. Read some of his comics and you'll see there too. Hyperbolic statement. He's slower than Kenobi from rots for one. The comics don't show us him react in realtime. The movie makers don't give a **** about the comics you nerd.

quanchi112
thumb up

Rebels showed us that. Quanchi's been proven wrong again. I'm still waiting for his apology to all Vader fans after it was outright confirmed Vader > Maul in combat. Subjective opinion isn't a fact. We see in the rebels episode Vader's slow maneuverability cost him against Tano confirming my stance. We also see him in a previous episode caught off guard by Kanan. Vader is quick with a saber but slow mobility wise. I cite evidence as to back my claims from the films, series, you cite opinions without anything factual. I win.

queeq
*sigh* Still this speed thing? Get a life...

I'd rather see an Old Republic movie than listen to the Vader-Speed rant...

JediRobin23
Not sure if Rebels should be considered canon anyway? I mean, they brought darth maul back to life...... Quite sure Lucas didn't do that....will rogue one be canon? Even though it's between Lucas's episodes

So confused....

In rebels, Vader took a slice to the face/mask by a whatever Jedi. He should have been more powerful than that....

Zenwolf
Not sure if Rebels should be considered canon anyway? I mean, they brought darth maul back to life...... Quite sure Lucas didn't do that....will rogue one be canon? Even though it's between Lucas's episodes

So confused....

In rebels, Vader took a slice to the face/mask by a whatever Jedi. He should have been more powerful than that....

Maul was brought back to life in TCW.

Also Rebels and Rogue One are Canon.

Darth Thor
^ Yep, and it was Lucas's idea to bring Maul back into Canon.

Lord Lucien
^ Yep, and it was Lucas's idea to bring Maul back into Canon. Ugh. Of course it was.

queeq
Ugh indeed.

quanchi112
*sigh* Still this speed thing? Get a life...

I'd rather see an Old Republic movie than listen to the Vader-Speed rant... Well he disagrees with my factual based stance. He needs to concede.

Rebel95
Hyperbolic statement. He's slower than Kenobi from rots for one. The comics don't show us him react in realtime. The movie makers don't give a **** about the comics you nerd.
Lol at you calling me a nerd. You're nearly 40 years old and have 143,903 posts on these forums. Get a ****ing life.

Bashar Teg
nobody in this forum has the right to call anyone a nerd, unless it's a token of affection and familiarity.

quanchi112
Lol at you calling me a nerd. You're nearly 40 years old and have 143,903 posts on these forums. Get a ****ing life. 37 and yes I'm great at what I do. Quit saying unrealistic nerdy things that don't apply to the films and I won't have to call you out on being a nerd.

Rebel95
37 and yes I'm great at what I do. Quit saying unrealistic nerdy things that don't apply to the films and I won't have to call you out on being a nerd.
Nothing I said was unrealistic, it was a quote from a book that is totally relevant to the movies and entire Star Wars universe.

Get a new hobby besides being a jerk on online forums and I won't call you out on being a total loser. thumb up

quanchi112
Nothing I said was unrealistic, it was a quote from a book that is totally relevant to the movies and entire Star Wars universe.

Get a new hobby besides being a jerk on online forums and I won't call you out on being a total loser. thumb up Yes, it was since the comics don't mean jack shit to these directors and you know it. They only matter to nerds. I'm a winner and you know it.

Rebel95
You're the exact opposite of a winner laughing out loud Go watch some Star Trek or just keep being a jerk on here, since you probably don't have anything else to do.

Lord Lucien
He literally doesn't.

quanchi112
You're the exact opposite of a winner laughing out loud Go watch some Star Trek or just keep being a jerk on here, since you probably don't have anything else to do. You want to know what a winner does

he watches Trek while being a jerk on here at the same time.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
He literally doesn't. Your words pierce me to my core. What am I to do ?

Trocity

So confused....

They brought him back to get embarrassed by attack dogs and blind men, because he sucks. They brought him back to cement Vader's superiority atop Palpatine's apprentice list.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Trocity
They brought him back to get embarrassed by attack dogs and blind men, because he sucks. They brought him back to cement Vader's superiority atop Palpatine's apprentice list.

Wha?...

How does this help Vader in any form? Because if Maul sucks, then it's not too special that Vader would be ontop.

Darth Thor
it was a quote from a book

I'm pretty sure Quanchi doesn't read.

Wha?...

How does this help Vader in any form? Because if Maul sucks, then it's not too special that Vader would be ontop.

Precisely thumb up

JediRobin23
If Maul can survive that fall then certainly Mace Windu could survive his....

Getting cut in half or zapped by lightning is the only difference....

Perhaps they should resurrect windu and put him in rebels or rogue one... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Or maybe palpatine survived and the fall managed to change his appearance and voice to make him Snoke...

Zenwolf

Getting cut in half or zapped by lightning is the only difference....

Perhaps they should resurrect windu and put him in rebels or rogue one... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Or maybe palpatine survived and the fall managed to change his appearance and voice to make him Snoke...

Except it's confirmed Mace is dead in Canon so...nope.

Darth Thor

Well Filoni (director of TCW) explains Maul's revival as the Sith having an unhealthy attachment to life, where they cling to it with all the power they have.

Whereas the Jedi accept their destiny more willingly and move on to become one with the Force.

He didn't mention Mace specifically, but his commentary on Maul's revival shows that Sith and Jedi are just different like that, therefore Maul's survival alone shouldn't be used as evidence of Mace being alive.

I know you're joking btw, but just thought I'd throw that out there anyway.

Except it's confirmed Mace is dead in Canon so...nope.

To be fair, so was Maul at one time.

But I also doubt he'd ever be back because 1) My reasons above, 2) It wouldn't make any sense narratively and 3) Disney seems to want to move away from the Prequels.

JediRobin23
So, with that director reasoning, Palpatine (being a sith) would cling to survive his fall. Still seems weird for Maul to survive.

My opinion, there will alwalys be a separate Lucas Canon.....Ep 1-6 only

This Disney new canon should not use rebels or standalones to include with the episodes as new canon.....

My view

EU: legends
Rebels, clone wars, rogue one, etc: spin offs (non canon)
Episode 1-6: Lucas canon
Episode 7- : Disney canon

Darth Thor
So, with that director reasoning, Palpatine (being a sith) would cling to survive his fall.

Unfortunately for Palpatine he disintegrated in the Death Star's reactor core.

Still seems weird for Maul to survive.

If it means anything to you he was left in a psychotic mental state from his injuries, and his mind had to be revived via magic.

My opinion, there will alwalys be a separate Lucas Canon.....Ep 1-6 only

Lucas Canon includes TCW. He made that clear to Disney which is why they've kept it Canon.

This Kyber Crystal power source for the Death Star came from Lucas in unfinished TCW episodes.

JediRobin23
So, did Mail also land on a huge cushion or safety net? How did they explain that? Or did gravity cease to exist when he reached the bottom....

Is there some reference you have where Lucas wanted Maul to survive? Or did he just let others write there own story (like the rest of EU), and Lucas just said, "that's ok" cause worst case it won't be considered canon like eu

Zenwolf
He grabbed an air vent or something before hitting the ground....despite there not being any vents when you look, but yeah, was in a comic I recall.

Zenwolf

To be fair, so was Maul at one time.

In Canon? Cause I don't recall any Canon source saying that he was dead, before he came back.

Darth Thor
In Canon? Cause I don't recall any Canon source saying that he was dead, before he came back.

Lucas said so in the commentary.

Zenwolf
Lucas said so in the commentary.

This was when?

Darth Thor
This was when?

Think it was TPM commentary.

He's definitely said somewhere that he showed Maul getting cut in half so that we know he's not coming back.

Zenwolf
Think it was TPM commentary.

He's definitely said somewhere that he showed Maul getting cut in half so that we know he's not coming back.

So Legends, so yeah of course. That's not the case with Canon though.

Darth Thor
So Legends, so yeah of course. That's not the case with Canon though.

How's Lucas's commentary Legends?

Zenwolf
How's Lucas's commentary Legends?

Because he sold SW to Disney who then in turned axed the SWU to a reboot and thus having the current Canon, so therefore what Lucas said before would only apply to Legends continuity, not Canon.

JediRobin23
I would say darth maul surviving is legends. Lucas's Vision of Maul being dead is correct..

Zenwolf
I would say darth maul surviving is legends. Lucas's Vision of Maul being dead is correct..

Except Maul didn't survive in Legends, he dead. TCW is Canon material.

This all gonna be more clear, since there's a new comic series coming up depicting Maul in his younger days before TPM as a Sith Apprentice.

Much similar to how Legends had Maul material prior to TPM.

JediRobin23
Except Maul didn't survive in Legends, he dead. TCW is Canon material.

What I mean is Lucas wrote that Maul dies in episode 1. Hence being Lucas canon. Unless Lucas wrote that maul comes back in TCW, then I don't consider it Lucas canon. Someone else wrote the Story and Lucas just let it happen

Someone else writing maul in TCW is legends or if you want to call it Disney canon.

Zenwolf
What I mean is Lucas wrote that Maul dies in episode 1. Hence being Lucas canon. Unless Lucas wrote that maul comes back in TCW, then I don't consider it Lucas canon. Someone else wrote the Story and Lucas just let it happen

Someone else writing maul in TCW is legends or if you want to call it Disney canon.

Disney Canon =/= Legends.

Rebel95
Canon is Disney canon now. Maul's survival is canon, he's in TCW and he's in Rebels.

Darth Thor
Because he sold SW to Disney who then in turned axed the SWU to a reboot and thus having the current Canon, so therefore what Lucas said before would only apply to Legends continuity, not Canon.

Lucas's vision was always separate and independent to Legends. It's still Lucas's commentary on the "Canon" Episodes 1-6. Also you can bet the sale contract for Star Wars was one big ass document about what they can and can't do.

For example, it's the edited version of the films which are canon. Disney can't change it back to the original versions.

It was Lucas who brought Maul back. Try to listen please.

Bashar Teg
i'm happy that GL canon doesn't matter anymore. the more he attempted to clarified things, the more confusing it became.

Zenwolf
Lucas's vision was always separate and independent to Legends. It's still Lucas's commentary on the "Canon" Episodes 1-6. Also you can bet the sale contract for Star Wars was one big ass document about what they can and can't do.

For example, it's the edited version of the films which are canon. Disney can't change it back to the original versions.

Right, but Legends still had to work with that vision.

So Maul in Legends is dead.

Canon he's alive. So it's just a retcon.

JediRobin23

I heard you....

I've asked you for a reference to where that's coming from, in which you did not provide.

Try to listen, please

Darth Thor

Canon he's alive. So it's just a retcon.

Yeah but Lucas was the one who said he was dead. The Lucas was the one who retconned that. That's my point. And that His words and interpretation of the Saga will never simply be thrown out of the window.

Hence Kyber crystals powering the Death Star in Rogue One.

JediRobin23
Here's the original interview with Lucas

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-archive-george-lucas-1999-interview/

Lucas part

"At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back. I'll come up with another apprentice. The whole issue of having apprentices, poor Darth Sidious trying to replenish his apprentice supply, is one of the main plot points."

Lucas should have cut him in pieces, so Maul would definitely not come back....

Fan's probably put pressure on Lucas to approve Filoni's work by using Maul.....

Rebel95
I like that they brought him back, but I don't like how they've changed his character. He was so badass and mysterious in TPM, now he's just a failure with a lot of bad showings.

Zenwolf
Yet you're glad that they brought him back? Hmm...anyway me thinks this is treading off topic here.

Darth Thor

Fan's probably put pressure on Lucas to approve Filoni's work by using Maul.....

No, it was Lucas who wanted to bring him back.

He simply changed his mind about Maul returning after the Prequels were finished. The point of him being cut in half was so no one gets their hopes up about him returning in the next two films. But with the animation they have many episodes to flesh out his return.

I like that they brought him back, but I don't like how they've changed his character. He was so badass and mysterious in TPM, now he's just a failure with a lot of bad showings.

Well that was the issue with bringing him back was that he HAD TO Continue Losing.

Because we Know Palpatine doesn't take him back as an apprentice, and we Know he's not going to overthrow Palpatine either, nor are there any other Sith Lords even in the picture later on. And we Know he's not going to get his revenge by killing Obi-Wan.

As for his Return though, I really like what Witwer brought to his character, and how they fleshed Maul out.

Now keeping him around for Rebels was probably a mistake as all he can do is continue to lose.

quanchi112
I like that they brought him back, but I don't like how they've changed his character. He was so badass and mysterious in TPM, now he's just a failure with a lot of bad showings. No, he isn't and secondly this is just your opinion. Maul has had fantastic showings since his rebirth so please stop with the nonsense.

Lord Lucien
No, he isn't and secondly this is just your opinion. No shit, dumbass.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>