Unknown RPG's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Didn't know how else to say it in a short-but-sweet manner, so I just put "unknown".

This thread is for RPG's that are good, but are hardly ever talked about.

Divine Divinity IMMEDIATELY comes to mind.

Demonic Phoenix
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

-Pr-
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

One of the best combat systems I've ever played in an RPG, but I found the story to be boring as hell, personally.

Kazenji
Victor Vran.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Nah, that was pretty famous for a whi, got decent sales.

I'm talking games that you can't imagine many other people besides you would have bought, at all, in any period of time.

Jmanghan
The Elder Scrolls 1: Arena.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by -Pr-
One of the best combat systems I've ever played in an RPG, but I found the story to be boring as hell, personally.

Yeah, it had pretty basic plots and storylines, which sucks because the whole fate-shifting thing in the main quest-line could have been really interesting.

I haven't played the 2 DLC packs, but apparently one of them has a relatively good better story.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Nah, that was pretty famous for a whi, got decent sales.

I'm talking games that you can't imagine many other people besides you would have bought, at all, in any period of time.

KK.

Dark Cloud 2.

The Trails in the Sky series isn't that well-known here in the west as well.

Kazenji
Suikoden 1 & 2.

ares834
Planescape: Torment.

It's certainly not "unknown" but is criminally underplayed.

Bentley
Radiant Historia is pretty good for its niche.

Originally posted by Kazenji
Suikoden 1 & 2.

I wouldn't say they are unknown.

Unless you are a Konami exec.

Kazenji
Well they're not as well known compared to the likes of Final Fantasy's popularity.

Bentley
Well they're not as well known compared to the likes of Final Fantasy's popularity.

Nothing is.

Barring maybe Persona?

Kazenji
Wouldn't know i haven't touched those ones.

Bentley
So which RPG series would be the most well-known ones in your opinion?

I think Pokemon and Final Fantasy are a given (by this statement I retcon my previous comment saying FF is the most famous RPG series, technically speaking the Pokemans are obviously above them at this point in time).

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Bentley

I think Pokemon and Final Fantasy are a given (by this statement I retcon my previous comment saying FF is the most famous RPG series, technically speaking the Pokemans are obviously above them at this point in time). Nah, FF is still winning in terms of games, tbh.

They have lots of stuff coming out.

Kazenji

I think Pokemon and Final Fantasy are a given (by this statement I retcon my previous comment saying FF is the most famous RPG series, technically speaking the Pokemans are obviously above them at this point in time).

Dragon Quest i remember hearing is far more popular then Final Fantasy in Japan at one point.

Jmanghan
Dragon Quest i remember hearing is far more popular then Final Fantasy in Japan at one point. You heard wrong.

Jmanghan
I had no idea what Dragon Quest was until you (Zenji), talked about it in one of my threads.

I wasn't living under a rock, I just had absolutely never heard of it.

Kazenji
You heard wrong.

And how would you know?...you actually live there i'm guessing

the keyword here is "Japan" which i said not America.

Jmanghan
And how would you know?...you actually live there i'm guessing

the keyword here is "Japan" which i said not America. Why don't you go to Japan and ask people around your age if Dragon Quest was ever that popular in Japan then.

Dragon Quest has never been that popular, it hasn't even surpassed SMT/Persona.

Kazenji

Dragon Quest has never been that popular, it hasn't even surpassed SMT/Persona.

Actually it is that popular in Japan if you bother to look things up

so you're wrong

this from last month

he...second place for FF.

Bentley
Nah, FF is still winning in terms of games, tbh.

They have lots of stuff coming out.

Well, the point is that Pokemon and Final Fantasy could even reach a mainstream level of awareness. Admittedly Pokemon isn't famous for being RPG because it doesn't embody the idea of RPGs.

Dragon Quest is frigging big in Japan, I've heard DQ's Creator (Yujii Horii) is more well known than Miyamoto over there. But I know it's an obscure series in the west.

Jmanghan
Actually it is that popular in Japan if you bother to look things up

so you're wrong

this from last month

he...second place for FF. Sorry M8.

Kazenji
Its okay....just be calm about things.

One Big Mob
I had no idea what Dragon Quest was until you (Zenji), talked about it in one of my threads.

I wasn't living under a rock, I just had absolutely never heard of it. erm

And Vagrant Story

Jmanghan
Originally posted by One Big Mob
erm

And Vagrant Story I knew what Vagrant Story was.

NotAllThatEvil
Not msnu people tslk aboit shining fotce...at least no one I know.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Not msnu people tslk aboit shining fotce...at least no one I know. What the ****?

NotAllThatEvil
Sorry. On my mobile without my contacts. Shining force.

Lek Kuen

Pokemon and Final Fantasy are the top of it, with pokemon being much higher in terms of being well known and mainstream.

I don't think anything else really comes close. I mean Dragonquest in it's home market, and SMT in certain markets as well. In terms of sales more recent Bethesda games are likely up there but don't think they come anywhere near the brand recognition.

NemeBro
While this very topic seems like a kind of shit and lame way to find out who is the biggest hipster, some RPGs that I don't think are mainstream that I have played:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
LISA: the Painful RPG
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (I still haven't played the prior entries)
Demon's Souls (all right this one is fairly mainstream but it's severely underplayed compared to Dark Souls)
Final Fantasy Tactics (read above, best Final Fantasy is the one with some of the least recognition)

Bentley
If we are counting tactics RPGs the now death series Ogre Battle was pretty damn good.

As it was mentioned before, I'm surprised that more people don't know the Shining series in our day and age. Some other little (retro) gems: Knights of the Nightmare and Riviera (both available for DS/GBA respectively and PS Vita).

Kazenji
Or even the Disgaea games?

rare to hear people talking about in my part of the world.

Bentley
Ah yes, Disgaea, haven't played any of them but I have heard interesting stuff. Certainly not the kind of game I'd consider well known.

Some other series that I'd consider popular among RPG fans (but still not on a FF level) is the Tales game series. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are established brands because of their historical relevance. Fire Emblem has established a cult following around the world in the last decade or so. Then you have series such as Ultima or Breath of Fire, which most informed retro gamers would know, but do not belong on the bulk of RPG representatives.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NemeBro
While this very topic seems like a kind of shit and lame way to find out who is the biggest hipster, some RPGs that I don't think are mainstream that I have played:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
LISA: the Painful RPG
Divinity 2: Ego Draconis (I still haven't played the prior entries)
Demon's Souls (all right this one is fairly mainstream but it's severely underplayed compared to Dark Souls)
Final Fantasy Tactics (read above, best Final Fantasy is the one with some of the least recognition) Just gotta bump this by saying, if you've played Divinity II, and the Original Sin games, you owe it to yourself to play the original games: Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity, they go on sale a LOT for very cheap and they're awesome games.

Also good for the thread due to being criminally underplayed compared to its younger siblings, so much so to the point that people had no idea the older games even existed when I informed them about em.

Exanima's a great one if you like Gritty, realistic brutal-as-**** combat.

The Gothic series, Overlord?... Maybe.

Jmanghan
Thought of a few more but I'll just make it it's own post.

The Last Remnant is one of my favorite underplayed ones.

I've been talking about em lately, so I guess I'll bring up the Way of the Samurai games. They deserve way more love.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a great one.

Legend of Grimrock games, and possibly Brutal Legend...?

Edit: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Popolocrois, Valhalla Knights 1, 2, & 3.

Those games I listed next to the edit came out of the blue for me.

Eon Blue
Shadow Hearts.

cdtm
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Shadow Hearts.

And SHII: Convenant.

Not III, though.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is just pure fun.

cdtm
Originally posted by NemeBro

Final Fantasy Tactics (read above, best Final Fantasy is the one with some of the least recognition)

thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.