would you prefer to be jedi or sith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Total Warrior
If you could choose to become a jedi or a sith, which side would you join? Tbh i think sith much cooler than jedi, so i would join the sith hands down.

|King Joker|
Yeah, but would you really, honestly join the Sith? It never really works out for them. Self-destruction, pretty much constant anger and hatred, the works. Doesn't seem too appealing.

As for the question - I'd definitely be a Jedi if the only other choice is Sith. But if my options were more expanded I'd probably be an Ahsoka or Jolee Bindo.

Emperordmb
The dark side worked out pretty well for Set Harth and Darth Vectivus.

That being said, I'd go Sith and embrace the passion, dark side powers, probably acquire wealth and just chill. I'd also need a hiding place or something to avoid genocide (because even if I don't do anything wrong, I remember what happened to the Legions of Lettow).

Fated Xtasy
Jedi. I'd be a QGJ/Obi/Mace mix.

Meh

cs_zoltan
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Jedi. I'd be a QGJ/Obi/Mace mix.

Meh

2/3 white and 1/3 black?

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
2/3 white and 1/3 black?

LMFAO. You derp.

Emperordmb
(We all know why Xtasy wants to be 1/3 black wink )

Q99
Jedi. Easily. The 'uninhibited' sith normally lead lives of self-destruction and stewing in hatred and anger. The exceptions are rare, and even they didn't normally live what I'd consider great lives. You think you're going to use the power a little then live it up, but it's addictive, you won't stop and you won't stop hurting people.

*Most* Jedi have pretty good lives, many retire of old age having left their legacy to trusted students (and depending on the era, children too). Even ones who quit the order sometimes live as helpful wanderers and seem pretty happy about it.

The_Tempest
lol @ The Sith option

The dark side is an inherently corrupting influence on a spiritual and physical level. 9/10, it's going to chew you up and spit you out regardless of your intentions.

It's basically a choice between "mass murdering war criminal" or "living as a robot to avoid becoming a mass murdering war criminal."

The Force is pretty much a curse.

|King Joker|
thumb up

Emperordmb
Realistically, I'd seek balance, but that wasn't an option.

Sinious
Originally posted by The_Tempest
lol @ The Sith option

The dark side is an inherently corrupting influence on a spiritual and physical level. 9/10, it's going to chew you up and spit you out regardless of your intentions.

It's basically a choice between "mass murdering war criminal" or "living as a robot to avoid becoming a mass murdering war criminal."

The Force is pretty much a curse. Damn, I never looked at it that way. On the other hand, you're gonna feel pretty worthless in that galaxy if you're not a force sensitive with training. So, one would eventually have to make the Sith/Jedi choice and try to make it work if they are force sensitive. I guess the intended question of the OP is, how would you make the best of being a force sensitive with no knowledge/training in the force, if you lived in that galaxy? In this regard, dark side might make you enjoy life a bit more until you die, where as a Jedi, you basically have to kill your individuality before your physical death, which kinda sucks from ego's point of view tbh.

Q99
lol @ The Sith option

I wouldn't say Jedi are that robotic.

Look at Quinlan Vos, tell me he's not having fun smile

Beniboybling
He even got laid. smile

And I think I'd be a Jedi, at least under Luke's Order they didn't have it so bad.

Q99
Originally posted by Beniboybling
He even got laid. smile

And I think I'd be a Jedi, at least under Luke's Order they didn't have it so bad.

And it stays pretty good! Like, Legacy. Sure, there's a purge, but in the hidden temple... one of the Jedi goes on a speeder run for fun.

Or earlier on. I haven't gotten the impression that TOR Jedi have it rough, aside from the war.

Beniboybling
Temple life ain't so bad!

Trocity
sith are much kooler then jedis so id be sith

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Realistically, I'd seek balance, but that wasn't an option.

No such thing. You can't "balance" this stuff canonically. Even Anakin, the cosmic king of balance, achieved his destiny by flat out rejecting the dark side, not moderating it.

Everything else is just bad fan fiction.

Q99
How the force is talked about varies, but sometimes 'balance' is the lack of the dark side.

Emperordmb
No such thing. You can't "balance" this stuff canonically. Even Anakin, the cosmic king of balance, achieved his destiny by flat out rejecting the dark side, not moderating it.

Everything else is just bad fan fiction.
Tell that to the Father

The_Tempest
Tell that to the Father

The Father is the closest thing Star Wars has to a god, not a standard Force user by any stretch of the imagination.

Even then, even the muddy Mortis trilogy was clear enough about the dark side being the problem.

Emperordmb
He said too much light or dark would bring an end to life.

The_Tempest
Yeah but we really haven't run into the problem of "too much light." It's the dark side that's always the problem.

FreshestSlice
Too much Light means the can be no Dark, so there is no Light. Ask Xehanort. He's basically a Sith.

ares834

Darth Thor
Yes I'm curious what the problem would be if The Son died but the Daughter lived.

The_Tempest

FreshestSlice
Mortis isn't a shit arc, it just doesn't make much sense with previously given information. Not that retcons are inherently bad.

Emperordmb
thumb up

Mortis was my favorite arc of TCW

The_Tempest
Well you like the Bane trilogy so... erm

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Mortis isn't a shit arc, it just doesn't make much sense with previously given information. Not that retcons are inherently bad.

Nah, it's a shit arc. I agree retcons aren't inherently bad, but this one makes no sense and doesn't offer a "better" alternative. What makes Mortis a shit arc for me is its plot and the dialogue. Not to mention that it doesn't make sense: The Son spends his time trying to kill his Father and, if necessary, his sister. His sister dies, he freaks out. The Father commits suicide, he freaks out. And somehow killing The Father neutralizes The Son?

The premise of a Dagobah-cave like vision isn't unworkable, but I didn't like how they executed it.

FreshestSlice
Pretty obvious to me that it's the way that they died that mattered.

ares834
The whole thing really makes no sense. Not to mention it includes such great writing as showing Anakin the future and then making him lose all his memory of that vision 10 minutes later...

The Yoda arc was just so much better when it comes to this force stuff.

Emperordmb
Yoda arc was also among my top three arcs, as was the Maul/Mandalore Arc

Darth Thor
thumb up I even loved the first Mandalore arc on S2. That Darksaber...

Emperordmb
Oh **** yeah Darksaber FTW

EmperorSidious2
Sith

Fated Xtasy
(We all know why Xtasy wants to be 1/3 black wink )

People usually push their own insecurities on to others :>
Dmb we both know I can make this super weird. Stop while you can. Kitten.

Emperordmb
People usually push their own insecurities on to others :>
Dmb we both know I can make this super weird. Stop while you can. Kitten.
Not as weird as Ant and Papa Bear

Fated Xtasy
Not as weird as Ant and Papa Bear

Edit. Pm me if you wanna know what I said stick out tongue

Darth Abonis
Jedi all the way. I could never kill an innocent person

Q99
Too much Light means the can be no Dark, so there is no Light. Ask Xehanort. He's basically a Sith.

A thing is, the Jedi can definitely exist without sith, they've done so for tens of thousands of years stretches.

The sith are of the dark side, but there's no requirement for a dark side order to exist.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Q99
A thing is, the Jedi can definitely exist without sith, they've done so for tens of thousands of years stretches.

The sith are of the dark side, but there's no requirement for a dark side order to exist.

Not really, the Sith have always been kinda around, even when they're gone. Vitiate's Empire, Rule of Two, One Sith, etc. etc. Also, the Jedi weren't really a thing until ~20,000 BBY, so I don't know what you mean by "tens of thousands of years" anyway.

Emperordmb
Yeah, Sith history actually goes back further with the Sith race and their culture spanning back a hundred thousand years.

And as far as light and dark goes, the first time the Jedi Order encountered a Dark Side wielding Order, they kinda committed genocide.

Q99
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Not really, the Sith have always been kinda around, even when they're gone. Vitiate's Empire, Rule of Two, One Sith, etc. etc. Also, the Jedi weren't really a thing until ~20,000 BBY, so I don't know what you mean by "tens of thousands of years" anyway.

The first Great Schism, the forming of the Legion of Lettow, the first darkside order, was in 24,500 BBY. They were wiped out completely.

The Hundred Year Darkness and start of Sith as we know them, as a force tradition, was in 7000 BBY.

There's 17,500 years where there were no opposing force orders, either in open or in secret.

Also, from the fall of Vitiate's Empire to the rise of Darth Ruin, was something on the order of 2,500 years, and during that time the only known Sith was the Lost Tribe, isolated on a single world.

While the Sith have been a major force in some parts of galactic history, the Jedi have gone much longer not being opposed by the Sith than they have with them.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Q99
The first Great Schism, the forming of the Legion of Lettow, the first darkside order, was in 24,500 BBY. They were wiped out completely.
Quite the genocide tbh

Q99
It is one of the only times when a defeat was so total.

To touch on the pre-HYD Sith, the sith species existed, but they didn't have near the force understanding of the Sith-as-an-order (the Exiles taught them much upon joining), they certainly didn't have the same philosophies, and were only on a single world besides.

At times when the Jedi were spread across the Galaxy, the biggest dark side groups were tribes isolated to their own locations.

S_W_LeGenD
Among these two philosophies, I relate much more to the Jedi philosophy in real life.

Even in the games, I seldom play villains.

Sith tend to be destructive.

Total Warrior
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Jedi all the way. I could never kill an innocent person Being a sith doesn't mean you have be extremely evil like Sidious etc. Look at Lana Beniko,she was a sith, but she never killed someone unless she was really pissed off

SunRazer
If you pick Sith, you'll end up getting corrupted and destroyed regardless of your intentions, as Tempest said.

Jedi live like monks, though, so I can't say I'd be happy with that either. But it's better than the alternative.

The_Tempest
thumb up

It's pure hubris and crappy fan fiction to think a common Force user can just use the dark side without consequence or penalty.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Total Warrior
Being a sith doesn't mean you have be extremely evil like Sidious etc. Look at Lana Beniko,she was a sith, but she never killed someone unless she was really pissed off
I'm sure she just hugged her way out of the Academy.

S_W_LeGenD
I'm sure she just hugged her way out of the Academy.
laughing out loud

quanchi112
Sith without question.

Darth Demenos
jedi but id be like one from the new jedi order with a much broader perspective of the force

Q99
Oh, consider Darth Vectivus.

He died surrounded by his family...

... who he had to keep a false face in front of his entire life, hiding his identity and strong emotions, until his death. Think about what that'd be like.

That's a good end by Sith standards.

Kurk
I'm more of a Dooku-like Sith myself. Calm and collected; never allowing hate to get the better of me.

Otherwise I agree that the sith end up being corrupted and destroyed by their blind hatred.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Kurk
I'm more of a Dooku-like Sith myself. Calm and collected; never allowing hate to get the better of me.

Otherwise I agree that the sith end up being corrupted and destroyed by their blind hatred.
The guy who attacks medical bays, commits genocide, has his underlings bomb civilians and use them as human shields, tortures people, and has his underlings mutate random villagers into freakish mind controlled monsters... Totally not a dick at all...

FreshestSlice
The Dark Side is literally cancerous. There's really no point in using it.

Zenwolf
Everyone forgetting about just being a Dark Jedi now? :P OP never said specifically you had to be in either Order, just a side and Dark Jedi are Jedi...just dark! I mean Dark Jedi, you could just be that one guy on some far off planet with strange powers that no one would understand. (Of course this would extend to you, as you'd have no real clue what you're doing...at least by comparison of actual training. Though you could end up finding old artifacts on said world that would help.)

There you could conquer the people and rule over the planet you're on, I mean Dark Force Adepts can pretty much mind dominate entire tribes and predatory beasts. So I mean, you could be ruling some far off planet and the Jedi or Sith Orders would never really know, unless it's obvious.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Everyone forgetting about just being a Dark Jedi now? :P OP never said specifically you had to be in either Order, just a side and Dark Jedi are Jedi...just dark! I mean Dark Jedi, you could just be that one guy on some far off planet with strange powers that no one would understand. (Of course this would extend to you, as you'd have no real clue what you're doing...at least by comparison of actual training. Though you could end up finding old artifacts on said world that would help.)

There you could conquer the people and rule over the planet you're on, I mean Dark Force Adepts can pretty much mind dominate entire tribes and predatory beasts. So I mean, you could be ruling some far off planet and the Jedi or Sith Orders would never really know, unless it's obvious.
Yeah, Set Harth kinda won on that front. While the Galaxy undergoes war over and over again, he's just chillin in his mansions, enjoying wealth, parties, sex and eternal youth.

Zenwolf
Yeah, Set Harth kinda won on that front. While the Galaxy undergoes war over and over again, he's just chillin in his mansions, enjoying wealth, parties, sex and eternal youth.

The Force User bachelor life.

Q99

Dark Jedi tend to be like mini-sith, self destructive only on a smaller scale.

With the exception of Set Harth- who, like Vectivus, did have to live a constant lie- what Dark Jedi really has that good an end? Tons of them end up being used as pawns of sith. Stronger force users usually roll into town sooner or later, and either a Jedi defeats you or a Sith decides you'd make good fodder.

And, yea, you could make yourself tribal warlord of nowhere land, but who really wants to? That route means you move to nowhere land, permanently.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Q99
And, yea, you could make yourself tribal warlord of nowhere land, but who really wants to? That route means you move to nowhere land, permanently.
Seemed to work pretty well for Joruus, or as Evan would likely say it "Jorah-ah-us"

Bentley
I'd be a Jedi, they fit better my alignment.

Fated Xtasy
Seemed to work pretty well for Joruus, or as Evan would likely say it "Jorah-ah-us"

LMAO.

Q99

The guy who Thrawn locked in a mountain because of how erratic he was, then killed by Mara? Prone to fits of mood swings before that?

Not sure if I'd call that living the high life...

Zenwolf
/Shrug

Meh Q I was just merely pointing out an alternative, where one isn't chained to rules of either Order.

Q99
/Shrug

Meh Q I was just merely pointing out an alternative, where one isn't chained to rules of either Order.

Yea, it's an alternative, but with a Jedi, you can be a well-respected champion of the galaxy. And if you quit, you can, like, raise a family and stuff.

Darksiders tends to lead more... bitter lives.

GenomeFrozener
Neither, like Kriea I choose Gray.

Col. Valerian
lol @ The Sith option

You can always be a Jolee Bindo.

Col. Valerian
Sorry for double post.

Originally posted by GenomeFrozener
Neither, like Kriea I choose Gray.

Kreia isn't grey, she was Darth Traya and became Darth Traya gain in KotOR II.

Gray is Jolee Bindo.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Col. Valerian
Sorry for double post.

Kreia isn't grey, she was Darth Traya and became Darth Traya gain in KotOR II.

Gray is Jolee Bindo.

But she kept Sion and Nihilus in line. If you noticed, under her rule, neither killed innocents, just Jedi. After breaking free Nihilus drained a planet and manipulated Vaklu into starting a civil war, Sion slaughtered an entire Hammerhead cruiser's crew along with his Assassins.

Everything that happened during was of the Exile's own choosing, that and of her allies. She scolds you for slaughtering people mindlessly.

And even after she supposedly "falls" she doesn't kill anyone(aside from the Sith Assassins) She actually spares Atton, Bao Dur, the Remote, Visas,etc. Likely because it suits her needs, but even at the end of the game she could'a killed em all, yet she didn't.

Kreia's not sith, not dark, not truly. She's gray, and to quote Kate Mulgrew the voice actress of another morally ambiguous, and great character;

"Life is gray, you know that. The more experienced the person is, the deeper they go into life. The less black and white it is, and that incredibly interesting shade of gray gets to be played. But within that shade there are infinite variety's, right? So i think that's just her, the black is the bad guy, the white is the good guy; But we all know the true parameters of life lie in-between those two, and flemethKreia is the absolute exploration thereof"

So Kreia's gray, just a darker shade of it.

Col. Valerian
You may be right. I just don't think basking in the dark power of Malachor V while planning the extermination of every Force-user in the galaxy counts exactly as gray.

Fated Xtasy
The force is a curse on the Jedi and sith if you look at it from a certain prospective. As tempest said.

Kreia hated it, she hated that there were only two sides to the force so she wanted to destroy it, like a slave desires to kill they're master.

If you really wanna go deep, malachor, dromund, The valley, Korriban , Dxun, Lehon. These places were corrupted because it was the will of the Force. Everything is summarized to have happened because the Force wishes it to happen. So drawing on Malachor isn't a Dark Sided thing to do, it's a nexus created because the force willed it. It's just as natural as the power in dantooine, coruscant, Tython, Ossus, etc.

Surtur
As bad as the Sith are..the Jedi are just flat out boring. But to be honest I don't think I'd choose either side.

I'd probably tap into some dark side powers though. At least if I needed them to get what I wanted. But I don't think you'd have to really do anything majorly impressive with the force to become wealthy with it. I really wouldn't care about fighting a galactic war. Who knows, maybe I'd be some kind of mercenary if I was looking for adventure. It is better then being a jedi.

Surtur
The force is a curse on the Jedi and sith if you look at it from a certain prospective. As tempest said.

Actually I'd argue the curse comes from choosing one side or the other. It seems with either side if you choose it you need to embrace it to the extreme. That is where the curse comes in. If someone lives on some distant world and has force powers but isn't a jedi or sith and they haven't even really been trained..the force isn't much of a curse. Hell it might even come in handy, like when Anakin was using the force to podrace. Notice Anakin only became "cursed" so to speak once the jedi began training him while also telling him he was space jesus and shockingly that situation did not end well.

Q99
Originally posted by Surtur
As bad as the Sith are..the Jedi are just flat out boring. But to be honest I don't think I'd choose either side.

Eh, depends a lot on the Jedi. There's wandering hermits, there's diplomats, there's Jedi archeologists, weapons trainers. In short, there's a number of jobs you can take as a Jedi.

Tapping darkside powers is pretty risky.

Though there is something said to 'just use low-level force powers and get rich.' Like, if you're below the level of Jedi or Sith, I think you could fly under the radar pretty easily.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Surtur
Actually I'd argue the curse comes from choosing one side or the other. It seems with either side if you choose it you need to embrace it to the extreme.

That's the thing, unless you aren't in full control of your emotions, you'll be very susceptible to the dark side. Hell even Jedi like Meetra, Revan, Kyle and Dooku had the best of intentions when they fell, and while Revan/Meetra maybe a bit unknown there, we do know that Revan created the very sith that drove the Jedi to near extinction.

Meetra caused mass murder in a war and created one of the powerful nexus' in recorded sw history.

Dooku fell because he wanted to do better for the galaxy, yet he ends up doing mass murders, near genocides etc.

Kyle was in pure bloodlust when Jan was taken from him both times.

In end, unless you're a fully trained and proper jedi, you'll always be susceptible to the darkness.

Because unlike others, like Kenobi, he was brought in at an age where he experienced various headships, where he had a desire to free slaves, an emotional connection to his mother, because he had experienced an unprecedented amount of emotions not as a normal being but as a slave. Hate, pain, sadness, etc a wish to end his captors and live free.

FreshestSlice
Anakin turned evil because the Jedi are idiots and don't know how to actually talk out emotion. Being a fully trained automaton from birth is fun and all, but when they didn't get one of those, they ****ed up and made "I hate sand." happen.

Lord Stark
Jedi, as long as I could still get that cutty

GenomeFrozener

Kreia hated it, she hated that there were only two sides to the force so she wanted to destroy it, like a slave desires to kill they're master.

There's more to it than that. She sees the Force as a uncaring deity that forever ties lives to some 'destiny' that inevitably brings them into some large tug of war conflict of light and dark for no seemly purpose.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.