High-Rise

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
Could've swore there was a thread on this already...anyway...

Based on my favourite J.G Ballard novel.

The story of a 40 floor tower block full of professionals that slowly descends into anarchic violence.

Directed by Ben Weatley
Starring Tom Hiddleston, Sienna Miller, Luke Evans, Jeremy Irons and James Purefoy

LKPghZ5cc_E

Robtard
Looks rather interesting, like a 'Lord of The Flies' angle with human nature and society falling apart.

Might check the book out, thanks.

Patient_Leech
I'm intrigued.

jaden101
Basic premise of the book is that tensions rise because the block is divided into 3 income brackets. Top 3rd is the richest. Middle 3rd is less wealthy and bottom 3rd is least wealthy. The richest get to park closest to the block cos they spend more time in the elevators and when the lower floor people have parties they start throwing bottles on to the rich people's cars. The rich people respond by propping open the elevators at the top when they're not using them so the rest of the building has to use the stairs. They also start dropping dust bombs down the rubbish chutes which covers the lower floors in filth. From then on it just descends into total chaos with running battles on the shopping and leisure floors that separate the classes, murder, rape etc.

Patient_Leech
^ This sounds amazing.

Like Lord of the Flies meets Die Hard.

-Pr-
Originally posted by jaden101
Basic premise of the book is that tensions rise because the block is divided into 3 income brackets. Top 3rd is the richest. Middle 3rd is less wealthy and bottom 3rd is least wealthy. The richest get to park closest to the block cos they spend more time in the elevators and when the lower floor people have parties they start throwing bottles on to the rich people's cars. The rich people respond by propping open the elevators at the top when they're not using them so the rest of the building has to use the stairs. They also start dropping dust bombs down the rubbish chutes which covers the lower floors in filth. From then on it just descends into total chaos with running battles on the shopping and leisure floors that separate the classes, murder, rape etc.

Well shit, that sounds far more interesting than the first trailer was.

Patient_Leech
Just watched this.

Didn't particularly care for it.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Robtard
Looks rather interesting, like a 'Lord of The Flies' angle with human nature and society falling apart.

Lord Of The Flies was one of my most hated books to read at school.
The imagery it evoked just left me feeling uncomfortable.

It wasn't so much the human aspect of the story but how the author described the actual island as a cold, heartless place.

Patient_Leech
The idea is interesting enough, but I don't think it was conveyed well in this movie. I don't know if it's the fault of the source material or just the director's approach, but none of the characters felt relatable to me. Everything was too damn distant for me to give a damn.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.