Iron Fist (Netflix)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceSkywalker
Marvel's and Netflix's newest hero, Danny Rand is going to be played by Game of Thrones' Finn Jones....

http://www.newsoxy.com/entertainment/finn-jones-iron-fist-189211.html

I'm excited for this

wakkawakkawakka
Not sure how, or if, they plan on incorporating the bromance between IF and Luke for the MCU but I'm looking forward to it.

Surtur
I'm pretty sure they are going to include the bromance. As for how..well, I don't get why that is something you are acting like would be difficult. At the end of the first season of Jessica Jones she obviously sets up some kind of "heroes for hire" type situation. So if she brings Luke in on that..and eventually they meet Danny and they bring him in..all they need to do is shove them together for some shenanigans.

It is possible Luke might even already know him. I'm struggling to remember, but there is an episode in Jessica Jones where Luke is under the control of Purple Man. At one point we see him on the phone talking to someone who we later learn was Purple Man. But Jessica was in the room at the time so he was acting like it was someone else on the phone and I could of sworn he called the person "Danny".

Inhuman
IRON FIST TV Series Will Feature 'Shang-Chi'

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/iron_fist/iron-fist-tv-series-will-feature-shang-chi-a131705

Mindset
I was kinda hoping I would be cast as IF, but whatever.

I'm not bitter.

Phuck them.

Kazenji
Lol at the criticism for casting a white guy for the role of Iron Fist, The idiots need to pick up one of his books.

Kento
Originally posted by Kazenji
Lol at the criticism for casting a white guy for the role of Iron Fist, The idiots need to pick up one of his books. laughing People are really upset about a white guy playing.... A white guy?

Dreampanther
"After a tumultuous response to the casting of Finn Jones as Danny Rand in the upcoming Iron Fist series, Marvel could really use a new notch in their diversity belt. Luckily, MCUExchange and That Hashtag Show can independently confirm that Marvel and Netflix are in the midst of casting Shang-Chi for Iron Fist - which we're told is set to begin production in April.

Additionally, in case anyone had concerns, they are exclusively auditioning males of Asian descent."

Inhuman
These diversity, SJW , girl power , trends in Hollywood are trying to fuq up everything.

Disgusting thumb down

Dreampanther
I tend to agree, but I am quite happy that now we get a Shang Chi as well. The possibilities are very exciting with the amount of talent out there. Personally, I would love to see more of stars like Andy On or Philip Ng - they have phenomenal potential.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Dreampanther
I tend to agree, but I am quite happy that now we get a Shang Chi as well. The possibilities are very exciting with the amount of talent out there. Personally, I would love to see more of stars like Andy On or Philip Ng - they have phenomenal potential.

bruce lee can't play Shang though stick out tongue stick out tongue

Kazenji
Originally posted by Kento
laughing People are really upset about a white guy playing.... A white guy?

I bet most of the people don't even read comics

a Marvel writer is doing some of the criticizing, Morjorie Liu

and some people wanted a Asian/American for the role

http://www.techinsider.io/iron-fist-criticized-for-white-casting-2016-2

he's suppose to be fish out of water sort of role being adopted into the K'un Lun Society, Even a previous Iron Fist, Orsan Randell was the same deal.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
bruce lee can't play Shang though stick out tongue stick out tongue

Well, Philip Ng should be finished filming Birth of the Dragon by now, so he can stop playing Bruce Lee and start playing Shang Chi. wink

I really liked Andy On in Once Upon a Time in Shanghai as well, and thought Daniel Wu was great in Into the Badlands. Will be very interesting to see who they pick!

Kento
Originally posted by Kazenji
I bet most of the people don't even read comics

a Marvel writer is doing some of the criticizing, Morjorie Liu

and some people wanted a Asian/American for the role

http://www.techinsider.io/iron-fist-criticized-for-white-casting-2016-2

he's suppose to be fish out of water sort of role being adopted into the K'un Lun Society, Even a previous Iron Fist, Orsan Randell was the same deal. its seems a lot like people are crying because they didn't change him to Asian even if they know he is white.... Which what the hell. Who cries because oh noes the character is staying the same. Marvel is doing what it does best, and providing the best adaptions of characters, and people are crying now... Why not make Steve Rogers black its not core for him to be white...is basically their argument

BruceSkywalker
Well, Philip Ng should be finished filming Birth of the Dragon by now, so he can stop playing Bruce Lee and start playing Shang Chi. wink

I really liked Andy On in Once Upon a Time in Shanghai as well, and thought Daniel Wu was great in Into the Badlands. Will be very interesting to see who they pick!

I would agree

cdtm
Personally, I'd be much more interested in seeing a Shen Kuei story. Faux Bruce Lee is hard to do right, while a "Kung Fu Punisher" is timeless.

TheVaultDweller
People who are bitching about Danny being white should STFU.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kento
its seems a lot like people are crying because they didn't change him to Asian even if they know he is white.... Which what the hell. Who cries because oh noes the character is staying the same. Marvel is doing what it does best, and providing the best adaptions of characters, and people are crying now... Why not make Steve Rogers black its not core for him to be white...is basically their argument

And the ironic thing, is a white kung fu master is BREAKING stereotypes, not reinforcing them.

Shang Chi got a lot of criticism for being a stereotype. Put in a white guy, and he's criticised for not being stereotypical enough?

You just can't win.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by cdtm
And the ironic thing, is a white kung fu master is BREAKING stereotypes, not reinforcing them.

Exactly.

He should remain White.

wakkawakkawakka
This reminds me of the criticisms for Tom Cruise in "The Last Samurai" only this time it makes even less sense.

Silver lining(sort off), this did expose a lot of folks lack of comic book knowledge and reveal who exactly is knowledgeable about Marvel stuff.

TheVaultDweller
Shang-Chi should be introduced for the right reasons. Not because people need a token Asian character. But I remain optimistic that they can make it work.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Shang-Chi should be introduced for the right reasons. Not because people need a token Asian character. But I remain optimistic that they can make it work.

This could actually work very well. If Iron Fist introduces Shang Chi and creates a spin-off, then that could introduce Shen Kuei with Fu Manchu as a potential villain.

cdtm
This could actually work very well. If Iron Fist introduces Shang Chi and creates a spin-off, then that could introduce Shen Kuei with Fu Manchu as a potential villain.

If they could get the rights to Fu Manchu.

I remember Black Panther had to rename him, because of rights issues. Could be Marvel simply didn't want to spring for a one off guest appearance..

Dreampanther

TheVaultDweller
I'm all for the idea of some kind of Netflix series/AoS crossover idea. They don't need to be team-ups or anything, but it would be nice if there was some acknowledgment that SHIELD is aware of the street leveler people, like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist etc. emerging and being active. Maybe even monitoring some of their activities to see whether they could be recruited.

BruceSkywalker
Colleen Wing has been cast...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/369961-jessica-henwick-colleen-wing

StiltmanFTW
I remember Black Panther had to rename him, because of rights issues.

Yes. Han.

He got renamed again in Secret Warriors. Zheng Zu.

BruceSkywalker
trailer...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/watch-first-iron-fist-teaser-trailer

carthage
MCU wins again with this, this and the Luke Cage clip were ****ing amazing

TheVaultDweller
0sEJeWB3RA8

cdtm
After seeing Luke Cage:

Luke had "hot coffee" with Misty. Poor Danny. laughing out loud

Dreampanther

TheVaultDweller
f9OKL5no-S0

carthage
http://static7.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117031/5689778-the+iron+fist.gif

Robtard
Not digging the guy they cast, he looks too whiny and too hipster, a virtual milquetoast. Hopefully the show delivers like DD, JJ and LC did.

ares834
LC delivered? That's news to me.

Robtard
Originally posted by ares834
LC delivered? That's news to me.

I found it enjoyable. Not as good as DD or JJ, but worth watching.

BruceSkywalker
f9OKL5no-S0

man freaking awesome.. can't wait

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Robtard
I found it enjoyable. Not as good as DD or JJ, but worth watching.

I enjoyed it as well. And so did most of the people I spoke to. Though, admittedly, I felt like the final villain was a bit underwhelming. Cottonmouth had far more screen presence and charisma than Diamondback did. I initially thought Mariah was crap but, thinking about it, I realised that I hated her because she was such a vile person. Which means the portrayal was actually good for a super unlikable villain (like certain truly hated GoT characters). laughing

carthage
All of the Netflix series have been amazing, I honestly like them more than most of the films

Arachnid1
I enjoyed it as well. And so did most of the people I spoke to. Though, admittedly, I felt like the final villain was a bit underwhelming. Cottonmouth had far more screen presence and charisma than Diamondback did. I initially thought Mariah was crap but, thinking about it, I realised that I hated her because she was such a vile person. Which means the portrayal was actually good for a super unlikable villain (like certain truly hated GoT characters). laughing I started the show yesterday and am actually enjoying it more than JJ which I thought was just alright. I remember Luke being the best part of that show too (tied with purple man, actually). Dude has great presence.

We'll see if I still think that at the end though. Endings to the seasons of these show are what they live and die by. DD season 2 would have been better than season 1 if it kept up the momentum from the first half. The ending and the entire Hand was weak and held it back. I hope the same doesn't happen here.

Diamondback so far has only been name dropped and everyone seems terrified of him. I'm hoping I disagree with your statement when it's all said and done.

carthage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnywtK0tc6Y&index=5&list=PLC303CD63FB69116F

Colleen Wing lays the smackdown on two fodder meathead fighters

cdtm
Cottonmouth >>> Diamonback, imo.

But Diamonback was perfect for what he was. (Which is basically what Bushwhacker was in the comics.)

Surtur
Dn49QoKGKr8

carthage
Shou Lao is making an appearance
And apparently the creators of the show made 7 all new

villains for the show as well that he has to fight

Dreampanther
I see they've managed to harass Finn Jones off Twitter for daring to be a white guy who plays Danny Rand.

Firefly218
I see they've managed to harass Finn Jones off Twitter for daring to be a white guy who plays Danny Rand. Man that's stupid. Coming from me a liberal, it's ridiculous to scream whitewashed at something that depends on being white...

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, that shit is just getting stupid. I read the most ridiculous article recently, where this guy was going on about how terrible it is that a white guy got cast as Iron Fist. Said the "only" right decision would have been to make him Asian. And said that the only people who disagreed are either diehards or racists.

wakkawakkawakka
Wait so the complaint people are having is that Finn Jones was cast instead of an Asian actor? Wouldn't casting an Asian actor for the role be perpetuating a stereotype instead of being progressive? Not to mention that Danny Rand is white but hey the Ancient One is Celtic so that's a thing...right?

Robtard
Probably from people who are completely ignorant about the character and assume Rand is Asian in the comic-book because it has martial arts and Asian themes. I'd not waste my time with those sorts.

cdtm
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
Wait so the complaint people are having is that Finn Jones was cast instead of an Asian actor? Wouldn't casting an Asian actor for the role be perpetuating a stereotype instead of being progressive? Not to mention that Danny Rand is white but hey the Ancient One is Celtic so that's a thing...right?

Far as I could tell, the argument goes that this is a missed opportunity to cast a minority in a lead role instead of a white guy. Even though in the source it IS a white guy in the lead, they think it makes more sense to change it to an asian guy.

Is that a stereotype? You bet. But between white savior vs typecasting, I guess they side with the typecasting.

Or what Fly said.

TheVaultDweller
Probably from people who are completely ignorant about the character and assume Rand is Asian in the comic-book because it has martial arts and Asian themes. I'd not waste my time with those sorts.

Sadly, the article I read was from someone who was fully aware of Rand's ethnicity in the comics. Hence why he included "diehards" (as in diehard Iron Fist fans), along with racists, as the only people who could possibly not think that Iron Fist should be Asian in the MCU.

cdtm
Sadly, the article I read was from someone who was fully aware of Rand's ethnicity in the comics. Hence why he included "diehards" (as in diehard Iron Fist fans), along with racists, as the only people who could possibly not think that Iron Fist should be Asian in the MCU.

The fact they don't argue this with Daredevil or Batman proves how underrated Danny really is, sadly.

No one cares about Iron Fist except diehards.

Surtur
Yeah so the reviews of at least the first half of the season seem mixed so far. It's hard to tell how much of it is legit and how much of it boils down to whining because they cast a white man to play a white man.

People call him a white savior, with the implication I guess being that you need to belong to a specific race in order to help out that race.

It would be amusing if at the very end he is about to fight the Big Bad and he is the only one who can defeat him and he just walks away going "sorry, not white enough to help, find yourselves an Asian, maybe that guy Daredevil set on fire, but who came back to life?".

Nephthys
Hearing bad things. Will keep an open mind though.

Surtur
I'm hoping it's either just hysteria over the white/asian thing or maybe just the first half of the season begins slow and then it picks up. Since all of the reviews I read had only seen the first 6-7 episodes.

Though I'm guessing the final half of the season will be made available to reviewers before the show comes out Friday.

carthage
The only potential issues I might have are Finn being incapable of portraying Iron Fist and maybe the "bland" fight scenes.

We'll have to see in a few days.

BruceSkywalker
friday cannot come fast enough

cdtm
Originally posted by Nephthys
Hearing bad things. Will keep an open mind though.

Rocky was panned by critics.

I wouldn't put much stock in their reviews, especially considering nearly every review cites the other shows having problems, but being saved by *insert sjw issue here*.

ares834
The complaints I've seen seem to primarily be about how slow the show is not IF being white. Considering some of these same people gave Luke Cage positive reviews and their issues with IF is pacing, I've got very little hope for this series as that would suggest IF's pacing is even worse than LC and I though LC's pacing was absolutely terrible.

carthage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=52&v=AMxh6bPve6o

carthage
In the Original Iron Fist comic from the 70s Danny can take far more than a normal amount of nuclear radiation while injured to kill some Reactor opponent, in episode 2 he can barely function because of a cocktail of drugs

Lmao

0mega Spawn
IF is supposed to be a badass martial artist.

This actor is so awkward in his movements and not to mention the choreography...Damn Netflix finally dropped the ball

Ridley_Prime
They kinda already did with Luke Cage, tho yeah, the choreography on here can be a hit or miss, but despite what others have said/expected I'm surprisingly enjoying it more than LC so far.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
IF is supposed to be a badass martial artist.

This actor is so awkward in his movements and not to mention the choreography...Damn Netflix finally dropped the ball They should have cast an Asian.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
They should have cast an Asian.

Or a Experienced martial artist lol.

When I see IF I want to see Donnie yen, Jackie chan, Bruce Lee, jet lee, tony jaa, JCVD, MJW, Wesley Snipes, Scott Adkins, and Chuck Norris all rolled into one superhero. Is that too much too ask?

cdtm
Or a Experienced martial artist lol.

When I see IF I want to see Donnie yen, Jackie chan, Bruce Lee, jet lee, tony jaa, JCVD, MJW, Wesley Snipes, Scott Adkins, and Chuck Norris all rolled into one superhero. Is that too much too ask?

That's disappointing.

Did they have an experienced martial artist for Daredevil?

Why didn't they just use a stunt guy for Danny's fights?

0mega Spawn
That's disappointing.

Did they have an experienced martial artist for Daredevil?

Why didn't they just use a stunt guy for Danny's fights?

They didn't but I put IF above DD in terms of skill.
Therefore expect hin to fight better... Not by much though. DD a bad MF too

Dreampanther
Episode 3: "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch".

I love this title.

Surtur
Saw the first two eps, expected them to be boring as f*ck given some of the reviews. They weren't boring as f*ck though.

Can't for the life of me seem to recall any amazing badass choreographed fights from the pilot episode of Daredevil and shit like that, but meh perhaps they were so utterly amazing I repressed them.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by Surtur
Saw the first two eps, expected them to be boring as f*ck given some of the reviews. They weren't boring as f*ck though.

Can't for the life of me seem to recall any amazing badass choreographed fights from the pilot episode of Daredevil and shit like that, but meh perhaps they were so utterly amazing I repressed them.

You think that's badass choreography? Do you action movies bro

Surtur
You think that's badass choreography? Do you action movies bro

I don't, I'm saying I can't seem to recall Daredevil or another Marvel show starting out with badass choreography.

Do you?

Nephthys
Daredevil did have a pretty cool fight in the first episode actually.

Surtur
I guess we can agree to disagree on what is "cool" then.

0mega Spawn
Wait, why are we focusing on the pilots choreography anyway?

cdtm
Are they at least making up names for regular stuff?

Like a haymaker isn't a punch, it's a "rock smash!". wink

cdtm
Originally posted by carthage
In the Original Iron Fist comic from the 70s Danny can take far more than a normal amount of nuclear radiation while injured to kill some Reactor opponent, in episode 2 he can barely function because of a cocktail of drugs

Lmao

To be fair, Danny was all over the place early. He'd beat up a 15 foot tall robot and kick down a big metal door, yet hurt himself against a metal looking man, say, and only issues apart.

carthage
Currently on episode 8 and its picked up a little.

Was cool to see Danny use his Chi to defend himself against bladed weapons but was really disappointed in Gao's trial. So far the show is a mixed bag

cdtm
Well, imo so was Daredevil 2 at least. It's like "Castle, awesome" and "Elektra as a prophetic weapon and what the hell is going on?"

Impediment
5 episodes in and this show isn't bad, but it's so f*cking slow. I really hope some momentum builds up.

BackFire
Hearing bad things about this show.

carthage
The main issues I have is Finn as a lead, The intro to his character could've been handled better, and the corporate drama shit gets annoying. But once the Hand shows up and Colleen starts helping it picks up.

0mega Spawn
Come on people this lazy choreography can't be bothering to me only... I hear alot of complaints but so little about the atrocious choreography.

Other than that I'm enjoying the show.

MF DELPH
Originally posted by Impediment
5 episodes in and this show isn't bad, but it's so f*cking slow. I really hope some momentum builds up.

Pretty much my sentiments as well. Slow burn but enough to keep me interested to see the payoff.

TheVaultDweller
I'm also 5 episodes in. This show does have its problems, but it is nowhere near as bad as some reviewers would have you believe. I think a lot of them just jumped on the "it's in to hate Iron Fist" bandwagon, after all the racial nonsense.

Firefly218
It's pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking.

cdtm
Only 2 episodes in myself. It's still early going, but man is it painful watching everyone treat Danny like a crazy person and feeling they're totally justified because Danny's acting like a crazy person. Like, you just want to shout at the screen "Just don't say anything! You'll be fine, just shut up!"

The choreography is pretty much Jason Bourne instead of Bruce Lee. Which is more or less what I expected, tbh.

Was awesome seeing the Iron Fist at the end though.

Dreampanther
Watched 6 episodes last night and will try to watch the rest today.

Let's start by just putting it out there: Yes, the fighting scenes are probably the weakest part of the series. And in a show that features arguably the greatest martial artist in the Marvel universe - well, that's not a good thing. Quite frankly, I find Colleen Wing's fighting scenes more believable than Danny Rand's.

But, and this is an important but: While I don't find Finn Jones very convincing as Iron Fist, I do find him quite likable as Danny Rand. And the series is also a little lighter and moves a little faster than Luke Cage.

Don't get me wrong: I liked Cage. I thought it was a good series with a lot of depth. But I also thought it was somewhat plodding and slow in the middle and they could have either made it shorter or made it more exciting to watch.

In short, so far, I'm enjoying Iron Fist. I like the story, the characters, the pace... I just really wish Iron Fist wore a mask, so they could use a stunt double to do the fighting scenes.

carthage
Some positives I'm glad to see they brought back Davos and seeing the Hand as a larger organization is a plus. But IMO its too little too late, I also didn't what happened with Colleen coming.

TheVaultDweller
Just watched episode 6. Those Hand fighters were painfully disappointing. First two were a bunch of morons. Had Danny on the floor but, instead of going for the kill, they actually stepped back and let him get up, so that they could talk more smack. Same with spider poison girl. Instead of taking things seriously, she decided to dance around and play some kind of weird seductress game. Only one who seemed worth a damn was the last guy, and even he was rather underwhelming.

Dreampanther
Just watched episode 6. Those Hand fighters were painfully disappointing. First two were a bunch of morons. Had Danny on the floor but, instead of going for the kill, they actually stepped back and let him get up, so that they could talk more smack. Same with spider poison girl. Instead of taking things seriously, she decided to dance around and play some kind of weird seductress game. Only one who seemed worth a damn was the last guy, and even he was rather underwhelming.

Ha, watched Episode 7 today (I think it was 7, might have been 8) where he encountered the drunken master. Have to admit, my first reaction was: Hey, finally somebody who looks like he's actually trained in martial arts! laughing out loud

cdtm
Pretty safe to say the critics are biased or sleep walking through their reviews.

Tbh, Danny acting like an idiot is completely in character from the comics. Completely. This is the same guy who sits through a businesses deal with China, and just before it's finalized said "Wait, China? Like, communist China? Deals off!" It's also the same guy who decided bringing K'un L'un to the midde of New York would be a good idea. smile (EVERYBODY from Cage to Colleen to the original Human Torch shouted "YOU DID WHAAAT?!?" at him.)

Point is, many reviewers are tearing this show up about Danny being airheaded, but spinning it as if that somehow makes him arrogant. If they got their asian actor, would they be all over him for this? Or would it be overlooked or even endearing coming from an asian, where a white guy with flaws just pisses them off?

TheVaultDweller
Watched episode 9 and the Hand seems kind of wack. When Nobu was calling the shots, in Daredevil, he literally had a small army of full-blown ninjas working for him. Silent, brutal, no-nonsense killers. Now, first we get those arrogant clowns from the tournament, who seemed more interested in trading insults than trading punches. And then, when Gao is captured, instead of sending a swarm of ninjas, they send some military mooks who are so weak that even Claire and half-dead Colleen can take them out without much trouble. Only Hand member in this series who has impressed me so far is the Drunken Master guy.

Surtur
Only 2 episodes in myself. It's still early going, but man is it painful watching everyone treat Danny like a crazy person and feeling they're totally justified because Danny's acting like a crazy person. Like, you just want to shout at the screen "Just don't say anything! You'll be fine, just shut up!"

The choreography is pretty much Jason Bourne instead of Bruce Lee. Which is more or less what I expected, tbh.

Was awesome seeing the Iron Fist at the end though.

What was pissing me off is Danny apparently grew up as friends of Joy and Ward. The *very* first thing he should have done is immediately begin naming things they had said/done together that nobody else could have possibly known.

He doesn't end up doing this until he car jacks Wards car and gets Ward to hop in. Even though it seemed clear Joy is the more open minded one and also the one who, you know, actually liked him. But no..go appeal to the douche who used to kick you in the balls all the time.

Since I mean yeah..the guy looked like a crazy homeless man. Which is why he immediately should have tried a better way to establish who he was than "it's me guys, Danny! I swear!". Then he trots out facts that anyone could find out, like his birthday.

0mega Spawn
Watched episode 9 and the Hand seems kind of wack. When Nobu was calling the shots, in Daredevil, he literally had a small army of full-blown ninjas working for him. Silent, brutal, no-nonsense killers. Now, first we get those arrogant clowns from the tournament, who seemed more interested in trading insults than trading punches. And then, when Gao is captured, instead of sending a swarm of ninjas, they send some military mooks who are so weak that even Claire and half-dead Colleen can take them out without much trouble. Only Hand member in this series who has impressed me so far is the Drunken Master guy.

I hate to sound like a broken record... But choreography.
DD was a step in the right direction in making bad guys and heroes seem more than human.

Then along came iron fist.

Dreampanther
After finishing the series, my final ranking is DD and DD2 at the top, JJ in the middle and then LC and IF.

Both LC and IF had a few problems, imo. LC dragged a bit in the middle, to the point where I felt they could have cut out a few episodes. IF fell short in the one place where it shouldn't have: Fighting choreography.

But make no mistake, I would still ten times rather watch LC or IF than any of the DC superhero shows. At least the Marvel shows feel like they're made by grownups for grownups.

Let's hope Finn Jones uses the time to get lots of kung fu training before shooting for The Defenders starts.

Edit: Crap, I see they've already been shooting The Defenders.

cdtm
DD was a step in the right direction in making bad guys and heroes seem more than human.

When you could make out what was going on.

The light was so low in spots, you could barely tell what's happening.

0mega Spawn

The light was so low in spots, you could barely tell what's happening. i don't think it was that damn dark lol

carthage
Holy **** people are wanking the hell out of Bakuto and Davos in CV. I guess getting shitcanned by the lead is an impressive feat and in the case of the former nearly losing to his student.

TheVaultDweller

The light was so low in spots, you could barely tell what's happening.

I have never had that problem myself.

Surtur
Getting further along..enjoying it, increasingly wondering if reviewers getting butthurt over the casting allowed that to taint their views of the quality of the series.

Speaking of Daredevil, did you know Marvel had the utter audacity to cast a guy who isn't blind..as a blind guy? People Marvel hates:

-Asians
-Asian culture
-Blind people

cdtm
All this garbage isn't out of nowhere, though. The asian actor they turned down complained about it, and that stoked the "controversy".

Would like to know a bit more about what went on behind the scenes there.

TheVaultDweller
Holy **** people are wanking the hell out of Bakuto and Davos in CV. I guess getting shitcanned by the lead is an impressive feat and in the case of the former nearly losing to his student.

People on CV are prone to riding the hype train when new shows/movies come out, and give those characters more credit than they are due because they are new and shiny.

carthage
Its funny how they're saying that given that they casted a Hindu man as Davos, lol. They even recast someone who was White in the comics, so yeah its clearly not an issue of cultural appropriation here

BruceSkywalker
almost done..

just 3 more episodes

i like it, just an issue here or there but its nothing to be butthurt about

Surtur
I liked seeing the dynamic between Ward and his Dad. Reminds me a bit of Lionel Luthor and Lex from Smallville.

Emperordmb
It completely tripped me out to realize Harold Meachum's actor portrayed Faramir in LOTR

ares834
Four episodes in and I'm enjoying it. I feel it's far better then Luke Cage so far. My biggest problem was Danny being an absolute idiot in the first two episodes.

Nephthys
I'm on episode 8 and so far Danny is the worst thing in the series by far.

roughrider
Its funny how they're saying that given that they casted a Hindu man as Davos, lol. They even recast someone who was White in the comics, so yeah its clearly not an issue of cultural appropriation here

I'm not even bothering to click on articles that are spreading this cultural appropriation bullcrap. Danny Rand has been around for 45 years and as soon as he debuts in live action they get high and mighty. They probably think Hawkeye from The Last Of The Mohicans should be a full blooded Indian, when being an outsider is what defines the character. Being a martial artist isn't the sole domain of Asian characters. And then they turn around and complain when Asian martial artists how up and say it's a tired cliche, too.

I'm nearly through the season. It's a solid show, but it's 5th best of the five Marvel Netflix shows thus far. Danny's naive act was kind of annoying in the beginning, but it is true to being a fish out of water in the corporate world.

Just wait until the fight with the drunken master...
big grin

cdtm
^^^^ thumb up thumb up

carthage
Zhou was really ****ing skilled. Danny fought a far more diverse array of fighters than Matt did, but still Im hesitant to say he's all that much more skilled. The Chi ability tips the balance though and he's likely the most powerful Defender. I'm so hyped for Defenders June needs to hurry the **** up and get here.

TheVaultDweller
Zhou was really ****ing skilled. Danny fought a far more diverse array of fighters than Matt did, but still Im hesitant to say he's all that much more skilled. The Chi ability tips the balance though and he's likely the most powerful Defender. I'm so hyped for Defenders June needs to hurry the **** up and get here.

I still put Luke as the most powerful overall. The Iron Fist is great and all, but Danny only uses it like once or twice in a fight, and not even every fight, and rarely right at the beginning. He has to focus to give himself super strong punches. On the flip side, Luke has to focus not to hit too hard and kill anyone. Plus, I don't see Danny taking a bazooka, followed by a building falling on him, as well as Luke did.

They should be a pretty solid team though. Got a good mix of muscle, skill, and some more exotic abilities, like DD's senses and Danny's newfound ability to heal people to make them a formidable group. Now someone just needs to teach Jessica how to fight better. If she had to develop some proper fighting skills, she'd be extremely dangerous.

On a random note, rewatched his fight with the Drunken Fist guy. Noticed they were actually using a stunt-double for Danny during bits of that fight. The hoodie hides it for the most part, but some camera angles allow you to see that it was not Finn Jones doing some of the moves. No wonder that fight looked better than most of the others.

random letters
I'm 11 episodes in... and the best word I can find for the show is "mediocre." It's not unwatchable by any means or else I wouldn't have gotten this far, but it's just underwhelming.

The fight scenes are absolutely horrible though considering that this is a martial arts/kung fu series. Everything is just bad--the choreography, the editing, the sound effects, and especially the actors. Nothing about Finn Jones suggests that he had 15 years of intense mental and physical training. Instead, he moves and and looks exactly like what he is, a skinny guy who spent a month in the gym. You don't have to be a martial artist to look like one on film, but you do need to be athletic and well-coordinated. The actor is neither. Honestly, he moves about as well as the actress who plays Jessica Jones.

I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to cast him. He was underwhelming as Loras as well. It's like the cast directors thought, "Gay guy. That means we should cast the sissiest looking guy available. Nevermind that Loras is supposed to be a badass knight." For Iron Fist, it's like they just looked for a blond white guy who wouldn't be too expensive to hire.

Surtur

Might not be more skilled than Matt, but in a fight all Danny would need is a single solid hit with the IF.

cdtm
Originally posted by random letters
I'm 11 episodes in... and the best word I can find for the show is "mediocre." It's not unwatchable by any means or else I wouldn't have gotten this far, but it's just underwhelming.

The fight scenes are absolutely horrible though considering that this is a martial arts/kung fu series. Everything is just bad--the choreography, the editing, the sound effects, and especially the actors. Nothing about Finn Jones suggests that he had 15 years of intense mental and physical training. Instead, he moves and and looks exactly like what he is, a skinny guy who spent a month in the gym. You don't have to be a martial artist to look like one on film, but you do need to be athletic and well-coordinated. The actor is neither. Honestly, he moves about as well as the actress who plays Jessica Jones.

I don't know who thought it'd be a good idea to cast him. He was underwhelming as Loras as well. It's like the cast directors thought, "Gay guy. That means we should cast the sissiest looking guy available. Nevermind that Loras is supposed to be a badass knight." For Iron Fist, it's like they just looked for a blond white guy who wouldn't be too expensive to hire.

Probably thought he was a better fit for the cbaracter.

Which honestly, he's nailed. You can find plenty of athletic, tough looking white guys, but the problem is none of them have that Danny quirky personality.

Just read current Power Man and Iron Fist. Stereotypical baddass, martial artist he ain't.

Robtard
I'm on episode 8 and so far Danny is the worst thing in the series by far.

Think I'm on 6 and I have to agree, this show is stumbling hard and weak lead is a main reason.

wakkawakkawakka
Its unfortunate to hear that this show isn't turning out to be all that great. Well there is still the Defenders to look forward to I suppose.

cdtm
Its unfortunate to hear that this show isn't turning out to be all that great. Well there is still the Defenders to look forward to I suppose.

A couple of opinions.

A few others seem to like him.

Me, it was a rough start but he's grown on me after the second episode.

Emperordmb
The terrible reviews are complete overreactions.

Surtur
Originally posted by Emperordmb

It's an alt right conspiracy most probably.

TheVaultDweller

Yeah, this show definitely has some issues, but it is nowhere near as bad as a lot of the reviews make it out to be. It certainly doesn't warrant the 17% RT rating it currently has.

Dreampanther
I usually prefer the IMDB ratings, which is now at 8.1 after 15,000+ votes - below Jessica Jones but still above Luke Cage, which is at 7.8 after 50,000+ votes. It's been dropping a little bit as the votes come in but I doubt it will drop much below 8/10.

0mega Spawn
Nah I think the reviews are justified... The one and only redeeming quality of the show is "because marvel superheroes".

random letters
Nah I think the reviews are justified... The one and only redeeming quality of the show is "because marvel superheroes".

I don't think the show is good but I wouldn't say that's it's horrible either. A 5/10 instead of a 3-4/10. Not a huge difference.

The main problem I have with the reviewers though is that many have a sjw bent, complaining about the white casting (and I say this as an Asian) or the Danny character "mansplaining" to Colleen. Yes, they seriously used that word. At least two of them in my memory. This sort of reminds me of the whole Ghostbusters thing in which the politics became huge around a basically mediocre product. Except this time the politics are in the other direction.

Mindset
These was my least favorite Marvel series which is funny because Danny is one of my favorite characters...at least top 5.

0mega Spawn
Originally posted by random letters
I don't think the show is good but I wouldn't say that's it's horrible either. A 5/10 instead of a 3-4/10. Not a huge difference.

The main problem I have with the reviewers though is that many have a sjw bent, complaining about the white casting (and I say this as an Asian) or the Danny character "mansplaining" to Colleen. Yes, they seriously used that word. At least two of them in my memory. This sort of reminds me of the whole Ghostbusters thing in which the politics became huge around a basically mediocre product. Except this time the politics are in the other direction.

Nah the choreography was extremely lazy. What makes it even worse is that it's in Iron fist series of all characters. Completely inexcusable.
3/10

random letters
Nah the choreography was extremely lazy. What makes it even worse is that it's in Iron fist series of all characters. Completely inexcusable.
3/10

Yeah, I already mentioned in a previous post that I think the fight scenes are complete garbage.

Nephthys
I'm not able to discern what makes good choreography so for me the fight scenes were ok. Ironically the fight I didn't care for was the drunken master fight which everyone else loves (also that spider lady fight, yeesh). I have seen it pointed out what some issues were though and when pointed out I can tell the flaws are real. One other thing is that the lack of a costume really hurt them, since they can't swap in the stunt double very easily and Finn isn't a martial artist at all. You can thank Daredevil for stealing his costume in season 1, lol. >_<

I have learned that the showrunner for this is actually the guy who did seasons 6-8 of Dexter. You know, the unbearably awful parts. So that may explain some of the incompetence seen here.

0mega Spawn
I'm not able to discern what makes good choreography so for me the fight scenes were ok. Ironically the fight I didn't care for was the drunken master fight which everyone else loves (also that spider lady fight, yeesh). I have seen it pointed out what some issues were though and when pointed out I can tell the flaws are real. One other thing is that the lack of a costume really hurt them, since they can't swap in the stunt double very easily and Finn isn't a martial artist at all. You can thank Daredevil for stealing his costume in season 1, lol. >_<

I have learned that the showrunner for this is actually the guy who did seasons 6-8 of Dexter. You know, the unbearably awful parts. So that may explain some of the incompetence seen here.
How are you not able to discern good choreography? The hell?

Let me break this down for you. Iron fist is a superhero martial artist trained by mystical monks, and is one of THE best fighters I the marvel universe. His fight scenes should be top notch up there with jet li Fist of Legend

Robtard
How are you not able to discern good choreography? The hell?

Let me break this down for you. Iron fist is a superhero martial artist trained by mystical monks, and is one of THE best fighters I the marvel universe. His fight scenes should be top notch up there with jet li Fist of Legend

This is a spot on post, Loras Tyrell's clear lack of proper martial arts training is a big issue, he just looks like a mannequin on strings trying to do Kung Fu.

cdtm
At least we have Enter the Badlands.

Because lets be honest, nothing in any of the Netflix series comes close.

0mega Spawn

Netflix could do it easily though.

What is the budget for that upcoming Will Smith movie they're making?

Robtard
Netflix doesn't have a budget issue, they could easily have funded Jet Li level martial arts choreography.

TheVaultDweller

A big element to the success of the Into the Badlands fight scenes is Daniel Wu. Not only does he have actual martial arts training and experience, but he makes an active effort to put that knowledge into the rest of the show as well. And the cast themselves put in a lot of work.

8N4mBRcSpAI

As well as the stunt crew.

kVIDMTI3BJE

I doubt Finn Jones put this much effort into his prep for this role.

0mega Spawn
Netflix doesn't have a budget issue, they could easily have funded Jet Li level martial arts choreography.
Exactly.

And that Will Smith movie has a 90 million dollar budget.

I wish panna rittikrai was still alive I think his Stunt team would have nailed that insane fighting iron fist should have been pulling off.

ares834

MF DELPH

You're not taking into account that all of the Marvel Netflix shows, and the Marvel Television component outright, fall under Ike Perlmutter's domain. The shows do have pretty strict budget restrictions. Most recent example prior to this was the abbreviated appearance of Ghost Rider on Agents of Shield due to budget constraints for effects.

Firefly218
Okay it's mediocre but definitely not bad. Biggest weakness is the lack of vision, it looks like someone was trying to hit a deadline.

MF DELPH
I personally enjoyed it quite a bit. It admittedly starts out slowly with the whole proving his identity arc but when it catches it's stride around episode 5 it kept me interested and wanting to see what would happen next. It was disappointing because of my high expectations knowing the character's history, but for what it actually ended up being it's a good tv show, just not the mindblowing martial arts epic Iron Fist, by it's comic history, should have been.

Mindset
Yea, it'd probably be better if I didn't know who IF was before watching this.

Robtard
Originally posted by MF DELPH
You're not taking into account that all of the Marvel Netflix shows, and the Marvel Television component outright, fall under Ike Perlmutter's domain. The shows do have pretty strict budget restrictions. Most recent example prior to this was the abbreviated appearance of Ghost Rider on Agents of Shield due to budget constraints for effects.

Fair enough, but I don't think an extra million in fight choreography and training for the lead would have broken the budget, especially considering Danny Rand is all about marital arts.

Hoping they address this specifically before we see him in another show. DD has before choreography.

quanchi112
Marvel films are vastly superior to any marvel television products. It's best not to compare.

roughrider
I don't think TV budget constrictions figure into it. Daredevil has some of the most awesome fights seen on TV. It's a different style though - ninjutsu meets boxing, done by a man not using his eyes and taking bloody punishment on a journey to get a costume with flexible armour. Danny is pure kung fu and rarely gets seriously hurt with his dodging and striking. So the fights are less brutal and gory (it's Harold Meachum who contributes more gore to the show. big grin )

Final thoughts after finishing the series:

- The last batch of episodes are the best, and help even out the uneven early episodes. Some story expectations get flipped on their heads.

- Too much of the writing is saying the same things over and over again, when you could just show it visually.

- Danny Rand is a bit like Peter Quill, with arrested development and not as mature an adult as he should be. I know the reasons why, and maybe this series journey was necessary for his evolution, but enough of the whiny childhood moping going forward.

- Danny's best Iron Fist feat came late in episode 13, in the office tower. I jumped out of my seat, it was so sick. You'll know it when you see it!

- With the extra fantasy story elements they brought in this Netflix universe, this reminds me more of a typical DC show than the other Marvel shows.

So; it's an all right show. But future Iron Fist requires Finn to lose the beard & get some signature costume, replace the showrunner, get tighter editing and fight choreography...then they should have something! thumb up

ares834
I don't know how it's possible, but somehow this show managed to make the ninja story-line more boring than the business one.

MF DELPH
Did Gao or Bakuto actually employ ninja's though? They're part of The Hand organization but it looks like Bakuto moreso is making 'child soldiers' out of young recruits and Gao just runs drugs and employs henchmen/mercenaries. The only one to actually call in hordes of ninjas was Nobu and he seemed to be much higher ranking. He also didn't seem to even acknowledge Gao as a member of The Hand in either season of Daredevil. I think she might be an ally/affiliate of the Hand but I think she's actually going to be revealed as Crane Mother, particularly since she's from Heaven but not necessarily K'un Lun, and Davos seems to be in league with her in that meeting with Joy.

-Pr-
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Did Gao or Bakuto actually employ ninja's though? They're part of The Hand organization but it looks like Bakuto moreso is making 'child soldiers' out of young recruits and Gao just runs drugs and employs henchmen/mercenaries. The only one to actually call in hordes of ninjas was Nobu and he seemed to be much higher ranking. He also didn't seem to even acknowledge Gao as a member of The Hand in either season of Daredevil. I think she might be an ally/affiliate of the Hand but I think she's actually going to be revealed as Crane Mother, particularly since she's from Heaven but not necessarily K'un Lun, and Davos seems to be in league with her in that meeting with Joy.

The lack of them was one of my two major complaints, tbh. You could very well be right, though.

Mindset
Yea, I didn't think Gao was even part of the Hand until they kept associating her with them in IF.

Didn't really make much sense...

dynamix
i'm at episode 11 and man...this dude is really unlikable. no charm, no charisma. the whole show is about wanking the dude. danny is this, danny is that. And this is coming from a huge iron fist fan! its definitely fixable. they need to characterize him better and work on the choreography. he was outperformed by everyone on the show lol. how do i know he's being wank? one scene had colleen wing talking him up about how his "movements is beautiful and inspiring" lmao! inspiring? he's stiff as hell haha

Dreampanther
Interesting. Lewis Tan, the guy who played Zhou Chen, the drunken master, originally read for the part of Iron Fist. His fight scene was actually my favourite fight scene in the series.

Full interview with him here:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/lewis-tan-marvel-iron-fist-interview.html

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>