World of Cardboard

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
"That man won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."

Quote from superman unlimited...

Now this isnt a superman thread. So dont go get your panties in a bunch. This post is a question about what hero/s are also failed with this trope. And at what level? Who holds back the most?
And who when finally cutting loose eclipses the class they are most commonly placed? Finally which hero when pushed or pressed has been shown to be the most powerful of all?

DarkSaint85
So, who has to job the most?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
So, who has to job the most?

Basically

DarkSaint85
Collosaunaut would be a prime example.
Spiderman
The Flash
Silver Surfer
Wonder Woman

Edit: Storm.

The Spot.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Now this isnt a superman thread. So dont go get your panties in a bunch. This post is a question about what hero/s are also failed with this trope. And at what level? Who holds back the most?
And who when finally cutting loose eclipses the class they are most commonly placed? Finally which hero when pushed or pressed has been shown to be the most powerful of all? Though this may not be a Superman thread, I would honestly have to say that Superman defines this question quite well...

Sin I AM
Collosaunaut would be a prime example.
Spiderman
The Flash
Silver Surfer
Wonder Woman

Diana holds back? Everyone else i agree with

Originally posted by Galan007
Though this may not be a Superman thread, I would honestly have to say that Superman defines this question quite well...

Yea i know. The trope is derived from him. Which begs to ask the question. If when he takes the kid gloves off and quits pulling punches is he above the likes of darkseid and doomsday?

DarkSaint85
Diana holds back? Everyone else i agree with

Yea i know. The trope is derived from him. Which begs to ask the question. If when he takes the kid gloves off and quits pulling punches is he above the likes of darkseid and doomsday?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/methosivanhoe/Doomswar045.jpg

Apparently so.

abhilegend
The only other character who eclipses his peers like this is Hulk.

It's his entire power set.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by abhilegend
The only other character who eclipses his peers like this is Hulk.

It's his entire power set.

thumb up And Hulk, of course. Holding back is what he does all the time.

DarkSaint85
Other candidates:
Sentry
Blue Beetle
Cyclops

Philosophía
Superman, Spiderman and Hulk.

The rest of the main heroes are not even worth having in this topic.

DarkSaint85
Considering this is the Spectre, Jaime is talking him down from killing him...

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/2/27470/1038021-07.jpg

Wonder if it would've worked....

Sin I AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/methosivanhoe/Doomswar045.jpg

Apparently so.

Is that her holding back? Diana is consistently portrayed as ferocious in battle. And its not like if she can solo doomsday once she stops phucking around

Sin I AM
On clark...

It depends against whom he is fighting and where he is fighting them.

If he is "fighting" some mugger in Gotham then he doesn't lift a finger.

If he is fighting a terrorist group in the middle east, he will utilise his speed to get civilians to safety and to disarm any threats as quickly as possible.

If he is fighting some low tiered super villain that poses no threat to him he will hold back a lot as to protect innocents.

If he is fighting Zod in central Metropolis he may be forced to use most of his strength, but he would still hold back sub conciously in case of collateral damage.

If he if fighting Darkseid on Apokolips he would go all out

DarkSaint85
Is that her holding back? Diana is consistently portrayed as ferocious in battle. And its not like if she can solo doomsday once she stops phucking around

That was her 'not holding back'.

But her dialogue indicates that usually, she does. It's her version of Superman's 'world of cardboard' speech.

She's rarely ferocious with her gear, though. That would be her FP version, when she regularly carried her sword around and used her lasso lethally.

DarkSaint85
On clark...

It depends against whom he is fighting and where he is fighting them.

If he is "fighting" some mugger in Gotham then he doesn't lift a finger.

If he is fighting a terrorist group in the middle east, he will utilise his speed to get civilians to safety and to disarm any threats as quickly as possible.

If he is fighting some low tiered super villain that poses no threat to him he will hold back a lot as to protect innocents.

If he is fighting Zod in central Metropolis he may be forced to use most of his strength, but he would still hold back sub conciously in case of collateral damage.

If he if fighting Darkseid on Apokolips he would go all out

Under this, Hal Jordan is another. Goes from bubbles, to boxing gloves, to fighter jets, to killing Krona with all the entities.

Sin I AM
That was her 'not holding back'.

But her dialogue indicates that usually, she does. It's her version of Superman's 'world of cardboard' speech.

She's rarely ferocious with her gear, though. That would be her FP version, when she regularly carried her sword around and used her lasso lethally.

I suppose. I just didnt see a change in power levels. Like how spiderman goes from struggling with fisk in earlier portrayals to demolishing him. Maybe thats a bad analogy hopefully u get the jist

Philosophía
I suppose. I just didnt see a change in power levels. Like how spiderman goes from struggling with fisk in earlier portrayals to demolishing him. Maybe thats a bad analogy hopefully u get the jist Yeah, we must make a difference between adjusting to the opponent , and being even/losing against an opponent due to holding back, then suddenly being far above him/equaling him.

I.e. Superman vs Imperiex Probes. He was desperately struggling with just one, until he cut loose and was beating dozens casually.

Sin I AM

DarkSaint85
My point was that Diana has the skills.

She has the equipment (the sword that can cut electrons in half or whatever it is).

But you don't see her slicing heads off.

On top of that, apparently, she DOES hold her strength back.

Essentially, if there was a thread with a WW out to kill, using her full gear - how far up the tier do you think she would get?

Philosophía

She has the equipment (the sword that can cut electrons in half or whatever it is).

Essentially, if there was a thread with a WW out to kill, using her full gear - how far up the tier do you think she would get? Well, the same could be said about Batman.

If he'd use his equipment bloodlusted, he would shoot out of high-street tier.

DarkSaint85
thumb up which is what Sin wants, right?

They stop holding back, and boom they are out of their tier.

Sin I AM

Essentially, if there was a thread with a WW out to kill, using her full gear - how far up the tier do you think she would get?

Thats a difficult task for me. Id say she be deadly to magic based characters but would probably get stomped by a trans tier brick like prime or what not.

Sin I AM

Rao Kal El
Yeah, Superman. Implied that not even as a subatomic particle atom could survive the full power of Superman

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu200/biensalsa/DC%20COMICS/SUPERMAN/INSANE%20FEATS/DESTROYS%20ADAPTING%20ROBOT%20SWARM/JLA-80PageGiant2DEFEATSASWARMCAPABLETOOVERUNAWORLD3.jpg

Also Spiderman makes the list

Philosophía
I dont think thats one and the same It's exactly the same.

They both have equipment which they don't use to inflict maximum amount of damage.

thumb up which is what Sin wants, right?

They stop holding back, and boom they are out of their tier. Well, if she's including it all, and not only innate power, sure.

DarkSaint85
Thats a difficult task for me. Id say she be deadly to magic based characters but would probably get stomped by a trans tier brick like prime or what not.

Prime is a bit of an anomaly, due to his resistance to magic. But you don't think she could handle, say, Despero, if she went for the kill with her sword/lasso?

Sin I AM

DarkSaint85
Which version v&v? Nu 52?

Crisis of conscience, or whatever a 'normal' Despero is.

Then I'd go with Hal, Flash, Surfer, Spiderman, Blue Beetle

Sin I AM

Crisis of conscience, or whatever a 'normal' Despero is.

Then I'd go with Hal, Flash, Surfer, Spiderman, Blue Beetle

Despero then. Do u mean an all geared out diana? Bracers shield gauntlets swords etc?

DarkSaint85
Despero then. Do u mean an all geared out diana? Bracers shield gauntlets swords etc?

Yup.

The stuff that she busts out when a big threat comes, but she doesn't use because it's overkill.

AND with a bloodlusted mindset. When the bell rings, she's flying out with intent to kill/incapacitate. by whatever means necessary. Stopped 'holding back', IOW.

Philosophía
Well, she was that way against Darkseid, for all the good it did to her.

But Darkseid is skyfather+, so not really a good example.

For her weight class..
Magical sword in the eye is something few characters in the high herald/trans tier can survive, though.

Sin I AM
Yup.

The stuff that she busts out when a big threat comes, but she doesn't use because it's overkill.

AND with a bloodlusted mindset. When the bell rings, she's flying out with intent to kill/incapacitate. by whatever means necessary. Stopped 'holding back', IOW.

U feel that places her atop despero?

Sidenote. Someone mentioned hulk. Hotm aside whats his most powerful adversary?

carver9
U feel that places her atop despero?

Sidenote. Someone mentioned hulk. Hotm aside whats his most powerful adversary?

He always hold back due to Banner supressing his power. There's no going around this. This isn't a versus thread so don't turn it into that but his most powerful opponent is Onslaught who was sporting...

carver9
I think Superman, Hulk, and Spiderman make this thread but others can be added to the list like Wonder Woman, Thor, and Manhunter.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by carver9
He always hold back due to Banner supressing his power. There's no going around this. This isn't a versus thread so don't turn it into that but his most powerful opponent is Onslaught who was sporting...

What are you talking about? I asked who was his most powerful foe that he beat without holding back. Stop projecting

carver9
What are you talking about? I asked who was his most powerful foe that he beat without holding back. Stop projecting

This thread isn't about who beat who though. Read your OP please.

carver9
Hulk also beat Cryptoman who was amped 3 times Thor power.

Sin I AM
This thread isn't about who beat who though. Read your OP please.

U little phaggot phuck. Dont condescend. Dont bring your dick riding ass in here telling me what my thread, that i created was about. I asked who was the most powerful character he has defeated while not holding back. Along the lines of Thor and Glory and Clark and those team busting probes..u take that fanboy cock stroke shit and go play in traffic with darksaint.

DarkSaint85
:-(

carver9
U little phaggot phuck. Dont condescend. Dont bring your dick riding ass in here telling me what my thread, that i created was about. I asked who was the most powerful character he has defeated while not holding back. Along the lines of Thor and Glory and Clark and those team busting probes..u take that fanboy cock stroke shit and go play in traffic with darksaint.

LOL... you probably shouldve changed the topic of your thread then and added who vs who. Him shattering Onslaught (who had the entire planet on lock down including heros and villains alike) and punching Cryp head clean off is the proof you need (Crypto man at the time was 3 times as powerful as Thor). Anymore questions (and during those showings, he still wasn't going all out).

Rao Kal El

Nice Sin. Make him your b1tch

Philosophía
U little phaggot phuck. Dont condescend. Dont bring your dick riding ass in here telling me what my thread, that i created was about. I asked who was the most powerful character he has defeated while not holding back. Along the lines of Thor and Glory and Clark and those team busting probes..u take that fanboy cock stroke shit and go play in traffic with darksaint. I think carver's pee wee just crawled back into his stomach.

carver9
Also, Thor didn't become stronger or go all Thor crazy mode against Glory. Glory shot a blast, Mjlonir absorbed it and shot the blast back. Thats not what this thread is asking. Thor using Glory own power against him doesn't mean Thor stopped holding back. LOL

Rao Kal El

carver9
LOL... look who joined the fray.

Rao Kal El
LOL... look who joined the fray.

Your daddy

carver9
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Your daddy

LOL... ok. Stop trying to make Sin feel like she did something. Now she is going to come in here prideful due to you all comments and post ridiculous comments. Leave my baby momma alone.

Rao Kal El
LOL... ok. Stop trying to make Sin feel like she did something. Now she is going to come in here prideful due to you all comments and post ridiculous comments. Leave my baby momma alone.

Well she just neutered you thumb up

SquallX

eek! laughing

Goddamn!

carver9
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Well she just neutered you thumb up

She really didn't. Anyone can throw off random curse words. Sin acting hard got ignored.

SquallX
Martian Manhunter

carver9
Originally posted by SquallX
eek! laughing

Goddamn!

Im seeing a pattern here. Delta, where are you.

Rao Kal El
She really didn't. Anyone can throw off random curse words. Sin acting hard got ignored.

Nah she did

StiltmanFTW
Quote from JL Unlimited, not supes. Sin, you noob.

SquallX
Im seeing a pattern here. Delta, where are you.

Are you implying that am Delta?

carver9
Originally posted by SquallX
Are you implying that am Delta?

Nope. The same fans are jumping into threads applauding people who debate against me.

Sin I AM
See THAT'S what i was trying to avoid..a dick measuring contest. Anyway Carver semantics aside all im asking is which characters no matter the company or power level holds back the most. And when prompted..who can transcend their power level and take on characters who are normally viewed as above them or team wreckers. The reason i brought up the probes is because he went from struggling to one shotting...glory is because of his rank in regards to chaos king..his overall power level and how Thor managed to overcome him. These were just two examples that are commonly used just like the krona buster etc etc. Then someone mentioned hulk and me just asking a question wanted to know who had he beaten that would normally be classed as above him..since his rogue gallery generally consists of gamma irradiated foes who aren't necessarily stronger or more powerful.

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Shutup and love me

StiltmanFTW
Bend over and some love will happen.

Sin I AM
Bend over and some love will happen.

I just ate two burritos so if you're open minded I'm down

"Id"

carver9
See THAT'S what i was trying to avoid..a dick measuring contest. Anyway Carver semantics aside all im asking is which characters no matter the company or power level holds back the most. And when prompted..who can transcend their power level and take on characters who are normally viewed as above them or team wreckers. The reason i brought up the probes is because he went from struggling to one shotting...glory is because of his rank in regards to chaos king..his overall power level and how Thor managed to overcome him. These were just two examples that are commonly used just like the krona buster etc etc. Then someone mentioned hulk and me just asking a question wanted to know who had he beaten that would normally be classed as above him..since his rogue gallery generally consists of gamma irradiated foes who aren't necessarily stronger or more powerful.

Shutup and love me

I didn't say anything out of the way to you though. You're the one that went on a rage fit.

He also defeated Galaxy Master. Its hard to classify a character thats power is to amp. The guy has been compared to the power gem so when it comes to ramping up to meet a level, he fits the bill since that is his power set. To be inconsistent physically.

StiltmanFTW
I just ate two burritos so if you're open minded I'm down
A good horse can ride through mud if it has to.

carver9
HAHAHAHA...where have you been Stilt?

StiltmanFTW
Boss ain't paying on time, didn't pay my internet bill.

One Big Mob
Carver said Hulk right? I seen "Galaxy Master" so Carver must be shredding up a Hulk combo like a box cutter through said cardboard.

So I feel pretty safe to agree with Hulk as I feel Carver carved out any doubts on him being top dog.

celeyhyga17
Superman
Thor
Silver Surfer

Henry_Pym
Thor is a good pick, but that has more to do with a near Goku level lust for a fair battle

deathslash
Black bolt is a very good example. The guy would accidentally kill friends and foe alike (along with a solar system or two) if he stopped holding back.

HulkIsHulk
And Hulk, of course. Holding back is what he does all the time.
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/63985329.jpg

HulkIsHulk
Along the lines of Thor and Glory
Not the best example

Utrigita
The X-men, the likes of Iceman or Professor X, also strikes me as holding back.

HulkIsHulk
Well, if animated ones are allowed then Hulked Out Heroes from Avengers Assemble is a perfect example for Hulk

HulkIsHulk
This is a good example for comic Hulk, I think. A hallucinating Hulk remembers the time Abomination killed Betty and taunted to him about it, and attacked thing thinking he was Blonsky:
http://s6d7.turboimg.net/t/25943560_Hulk_break_Thing.jpg
Hard to say if this was due to anger amping or holding back, but Hulk was basically getting thrashed by Blonsky before Bommy mentioned Betty. Hulk proceeded to literally punch a hole in his face:
http://s388.photobucket.com/user/OneDumbG0/media/Hulk%20Fights%20A-E/HulkvsAbomination86.jpg.html
http://s388.photobucket.com/user/OneDumbG0/media/Hulk%20Fights%20A-E/HulkvsAbomination87.jpg.html
http://s388.photobucket.com/user/OneDumbG0/media/Hulk%20Fights%20A-E/HulkvsAbomination88.jpg.html

HulkIsHulk
And this is an example of Savage Hulk saying that he needs to hold back. Mind you he was weakened then:
http://s6d8.turboimg.net/t/25944087_Hulk_slap.png

StiltmanFTW
That's Mimic?

HulkIsHulk
That's Mimic?
Yes
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3072749-3658326520-Savag.jpg
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/hulk/4005-2267/forums/context-files-hulk-vol2-1764919/?page=1#js-message-20
http://www.therealgentlemenofleisure.com/2010/01/x-amining-x-men-hiatus-years-1.html

byrdgang21
Black Bolt

Sin I AM
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Yes
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3072749-3658326520-Savag.jpg
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/hulk/4005-2267/forums/context-files-hulk-vol2-1764919/?page=1#js-message-20
http://www.therealgentlemenofleisure.com/2010/01/x-amining-x-men-hiatus-years-1.html

Y was he getting sick? Did i misread the scan

HulkIsHulk
Mimic wasnt sick, his powers had gone out of control that he was draini g and killing people within few miles, so Beast took him to his old labiratory within an foresr when hulk paased thorugh , mimics power begqn completely focusing on him, weakening huok, which hulk thought was someone intentionally aftacking him qnd came to attack mimic. The scan i posted before waa
s hulk slapping away hank whe mn he rried to intervene
Then mimic decjded he better not live so he grabbed hulk and drainsd enough radiatiln to kill himself

DarkSaint85
Word searches must be quite challenging for you.

staxamillion
Cable always comes to mind but they fixed that.

Iceman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.