Superman vs Silver Surfer: Durability Comparison

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

abhilegend
Rate both in durability out of 100. Preboot Superman. Preferably with reasoning and scans.

1. Blunt
2. Energy attacks
3. Cutting

No low showings for either character as an example please.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by abhilegend
No low showings for either character as an example please. The thread as a whole is good, but this line is gold.

zopzop
Rate both in durability out of 100. Preboot Superman. Preferably with reasoning and scans.

1. Blunt
2. Energy attacks
3. Cutting

No low showings for either character as an example please.
In theory Surfer should be more durable than ANY herald level being simply because of his matter manipulation abilities. But this isn't the case on panel.

In practice, Superman wins in all three categories.

abhilegend
Originally posted by One Big Mob
The thread as a whole is good, but this line is gold.
facepalm

I just don't want this to descend into a flame war.

One Big Mob
facepalm

I just don't want this to descend into a flame war. Why would YOU create a thread with Surfer and Superman then? laughing out loud

Even without the addition of you in the mix, you know what this is going to turn into.

carver9
Surfer

Blue Area Vet
facepalm

I just don't want this to descend into a flame war.

Don't be silly, of course you do.

abhilegend
Why would YOU create a thread with Surfer and Superman then? laughing out loud

Even without the addition of you in the mix, you know what this is going to turn into.
Well, I'm not going to participate in the discussion in this thread.

There's that.

One Big Mob

There's that. laughing out loud

Blue Area Vet

There's that.

laughing

Surfer is in your head.

abhilegend
laughing out loud

Are you finished derailing the thread?

One Big Mob
I think it's pretty obvious I don't care about the thread. I'm sitting here watching my Nicolas Cage movie and I see a thread about Surfer vs Superman made by you, and I think to myself "This will be good".

And it was. Not as good as Stolen mind you which is shaping up to be another Cagey masterpiece, but entertaining nonetheless.

However the premise you set forth will no doubt be eclipsed in the play to follow so I will step back to watch the show unfold. Mind you with you not participating in the thread, and no one discussing it, I wonder what discussion we're derailing? Or are laughing smilies a point of no return?

Blue Area Vet
Are you finished derailing the thread?

I think it has to be in the track before it can be derailed. eek!

StiltmanFTW
Bran is more durable than abhi, no doubt.

Raisen
Surfer in every category. Just more of a man that Clark

Surtur
Silver Surfer. Oh and abi, btw? THIS is what we call "baiting" people. Please don't ever comment on anyone trying to bait you again. You need a time out from any threads involving Superman or Silver Surfer.

Rao Kal El
Superman

-Pr-
Originally posted by Surtur
Silver Surfer. Oh and abi, btw? THIS is what we call "baiting" people. Please don't ever comment on anyone trying to bait you again. You need a time out from any threads involving Superman or Silver Surfer.

Welcome to the mod te- No, wait, you weren't promoted, so...

abhilegend
laughing out loud

I'm not going to even participate in the discussion but somehow I'm baiting.

mmm

Surtur
Originally posted by -Pr-

I'm not a mechanic either, but I can still recognize a flat tire.

psycho gundam
This thread has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what's going on in the ownage thread at all

Surtur
Originally posted by psycho gundam
This thread has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what's going on in the ownage thread at all

You're right, I'm sure it's a coincidence the person who loves Superman and dislikes Silver Surfer..posted a "Superman vs Silver Surfer" topic.

Personally if someone wants to bait that is fine, I just don't want to see that same person accusing others of baiting then, that is all.

carver9
Silver Surfer is the Herald of Heralds...the tier was created after him...nothing wrong with being less powerful than him. Love Thor and Gladiator but im not ashamed to say that both of them are below Surfer imo. Does this take away from either? No. This just tells us there are more powerful people out there. When it comes to moving into the high herald tier, Surfer is the person youre compared too.

Surtur
Exactly, it's not an insult to lose to Silver Surfer. He's an incredibly versatile cosmically powered hero. Nobody looks bad or weak if they can't defeat him.

Superman as a character doesn't suffer one bit.

-Pr-
laughing out loud

mmm

We all know it's a bait thread because you're the Quarver of DC. I only left it open this long to see if anything actually came from it. Not gonna happen it seems.

I'm not a mechanic either, but I can still recognize a flat tire.

Credit for being witty, but we do have a report function. Use it. Bringing up other posters tends to bite the person who does it in the ass more than it does the poster they're referring to.

Pillow Biter
I think Surfer's invulnerability is even 'harder' than Superman's: it more difficult to do even cosmetic damage. And Surfer's durability is more robust: he lacks explicit weaknesses and it's harder to end-run his invulnerability.
That being said, I think Superman may be tougher, and it's probably harder to actually put him down than Surfer.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
I think Surfer's invulnerability is even 'harder' than Superman's: it more difficult to do even cosmetic damage. And Surfer's durability is more robust: he lacks explicit weaknesses and it's harder to end-run his invulnerability.
That being said, I think Superman may be tougher, and it's probably harder to actually put him down than Surfer.

Nothing really wrong with that assessment tbh.

celeyhyga17
Surfer.
If Superman didn't have a magic vulnerability, I'd go Clark.

abhilegend
Originally posted by carver9
Silver Surfer is the Herald of Heralds...the tier was created after him...nothing wrong with being less powerful than him. Love Thor and Gladiator but im not ashamed to say that both of them are below Surfer imo. Does this take away from either? No. This just tells us there are more powerful people out there. When it comes to moving into the high herald tier, Surfer is the person youre compared too. Originally posted by Surtur
Exactly, it's not an insult to lose to Silver Surfer. He's an incredibly versatile cosmically powered hero. Nobody looks bad or weak if they can't defeat him.

Superman as a character doesn't suffer one bit.
mmmOriginally posted by -Pr-
We all know it's a bait thread because you're the Quarver of DC. I only left it open this long to see if anything actually came from it. Not gonna happen it seems.

Credit for being witty, but we do have a report function. Use it. Bringing up other posters tends to bite the person who does it in the ass more than it does the poster they're referring to.

I just opened this thread and I'm not even going to participate in the thread.

How's that even baiting?

abhilegend
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Surfer.
If Superman didn't have a magic vulnerability, I'd go Clark.
It's not about magical attacks.

How do you rate their durability in 100?

celeyhyga17

Not gonna just turn a blind eye since magic is built in vulnerability for him.

I don't have a number, but Surfer slight edge for reasons I already mentioned.

Surtur

Yep, he was made to be able to survive most if not all hazards you might encounter in space.

I'd also argue Superman might not actually be harder to put down. Simply because he does have something Surfer doesn't: internal organs and stuff like that. When some of these are damaged it can take it's toll. I don't think Surfer has any bones to break, etc. I would also think it would leave Superman more vulnerable to things like pressure points then Surfer.

Raisen

And here he is.....participating

Pillow Biter
Yep, he was made to be able to survive most if not all hazards you might encounter in space.

I'd also argue Superman might not actually be harder to put down. Simply because he does have something Surfer doesn't: internal organs and stuff like that. When some of these are damaged it can take it's toll. I don't think Surfer has any bones to break, etc. I would also think it would leave Superman more vulnerable to things like pressure points then Surfer.

Maybe. But comics don't always work that way. I'd agree with Surfer being less vulnerable to things like pressure attacks or even having things broken. But I think Superman is going to take more punches from Thanos or Omega Beam blasts before going down than Surfer will.

Surtur
Maybe. But comics don't always work that way. I'd agree with Surfer being less vulnerable to things like pressure attacks or even having things broken. But I think Superman is going to take more punches from Thanos or Omega Beam blasts before going down than Surfer will.

I'd actually argue Surfer at least can handle energy attacks better then Superman can.

Pillow Biter
For whatever in-comics reason the writer of the day is using (or not), Superman often steps it up to a level beyond the typical elite top tier category in a way that Surfer less often does.
Superman doesn't always do this, and the extent to which he steps it up into trans territory varies greatly. His dynamism is difficult to factor into fights. But Surfer would never have ripped (or blasted) apart Doomsday like Superman did in the new 52. Surfer wouldn't have stood up to Darkseid, or fared as well versus any of the Doomsday versions. Surfer almost never gives Thanos much of a fight; I think Superman would often fall to Thanos as quickly, but there'd also be a lot of days where he'd give the Titan a much better fight than Surfer can.

Genii96
Surfer is more durable in terms of energy(quite a bit) and cutting,blunt force,he gets the edge when you consider hits from magical beings and injuries to his inner organs and such. Surfer dosent really have any of those weaknesses

quanchi112
The thread as a whole is good, but this line is gold. thumb up

quanchi112
Silver Surfer. Oh and abi, btw? THIS is what we call "baiting" people. Please don't ever comment on anyone trying to bait you again. You need a time out from any threads involving Superman or Silver Surfer. laughing out loud

quanchi112
For whatever in-comics reason the writer of the day is using (or not), Superman often steps it up to a level beyond the typical elite top tier category in a way that Surfer less often does.
Superman doesn't always do this, and the extent to which he steps it up into trans territory varies greatly. His dynamism is difficult to factor into fights. But Surfer would never have ripped (or blasted) apart Doomsday like Superman did in the new 52. Surfer wouldn't have stood up to Darkseid, or fared as well versus any of the Doomsday versions. Surfer almost never gives Thanos much of a fight; I think Superman would often fall to Thanos as quickly, but there'd also be a lot of days where he'd give the Titan a much better fight than Surfer can. I disagree and if you went and broke this down statistically you'd be wrong. Thanos isn't Darkseid so any comparisons to these characters is irrelevant to the points being made. Surfer is more durable consistently this isn't about formidability at all.

Delta1938

laughing

-Pr-
mmm

How's that even baiting?

because it's you making a Surfer thread, that's why.

abhilegend
because it's you making a Surfer thread, that's why.
laughing out loud

I'm not even going to comment on this.

StiltmanFTW

Yeah, impossible to see any connection thumb up

abhilegend
**** it, I'm gonna participate at this rate. Surfer fans are running rampant.

Not gonna just turn a blind eye since magic is built in vulnerability for him.

I don't have a number, but Surfer slight edge for reasons I already mentioned.
Ok, how is that relevant here?

Magical attacks are an inherent vulnerability for Superman. Its not making Surfer more durable. Even then, Superman has taken magical attacks better than other heralds.Originally posted by Surtur

That's not how it works.

Superman tanks shit like Juggernaut.Originally posted by Genii96
Surfer is more durable in terms of energy(quite a bit) and cutting,blunt force,he gets the edge when you consider hits from magical beings and injuries to his inner organs and such. Surfer dosent really have any of those weaknesses
Based on? How is he more durable in energy or cutting attacks?

abhilegend
Here comes the cavalry.

Even if it is, what's your point?

Insane Titan
laughing out loud meltdown

Genii96
So much for not involving in the thread lmao

abhilegend
I thought that was for the best.

But then surfer fans started the same routine again. Though I'm curious about your claims though.

I'd like to see your reasoning about why surfer is above Superman is durability.

Rage.Of.Olympus
The thread as a whole is good, but this line is gold.

laughing out loud

The lack of self control is equally as funny.

ghostman
lol at nobody comparing durability feats. they already know whats good

Pillow Biter
I think all the smart money has already compared the feats that matter.

Trying to compare empirically measured feats like surviving a super nova or a moon explosion is pretty much a fools game.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
laughing out loud

The lack of self control is equally as funny. Everyone could see right through his lies. Onepunch has gotten into the entire fanbases head.

h1a8
Superman can definitely take blunt force better.
Cutting is a toss up since I never really seen anyone try to cut Surfer.
Energy goes to Superman

carver9
Lol

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by h1a8
Superman can definitely take blunt force better.
Cutting is a toss up since I never really seen anyone try to cut Surfer.
Energy goes to Superman
Surfer has been cut.

celeyhyga17

Magical attacks are an inherent vulnerability for Superman. Its not making Surfer more durable. Even then, Superman has taken magical attacks better than other heralds.
That's not how it works.

Imo it is since it's built in for him.

And has been hurt by items or objects mystical in nature quite easily.

abhilegend
Imo it is since it's built in for him.

And has been hurt by items or objects mystical in nature quite easily.
So has been Surfer.

We're not talking about resistance against magical attacks though.

Estacado
Surfer.
He is also more manly.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Estacado
Surfer.
He is also more manly.
laughing out loud

Surfer is literally an eunuch.

Also Superman>>>>>>>Thanos.

ha-som

One-Punch
laughing out loud

mmm

There's that.

How's that even baiting?
I'm not even going to comment on this.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f3282173c0329d3059f96148f963ddba/tumblr_inline_nrtv945raS1twm93a_500.png

laughing out loud

abhilegend
Originally posted by One-Punch
http://41.media.tumblr.com/f3282173c0329d3059f96148f963ddba/tumblr_inline_nrtv945raS1twm93a_500.png

laughing out loud
Yes, I chose to reply after seeing the rampant lowball and don't you have some more Superman comics to read and scrounge for low showings?

mmm

Blue Area Vet
You're right, I'm sure it's a coincidence the person who loves Superman and dislikes Silver Surfer..posted a "Superman vs Silver Surfer" topic.

Personally if someone wants to bait that is fine, I just don't want to see that same person accusing others of baiting then, that is all.

The mods are bias toward the most pathetic Superman fans. Bait if I've ever smelt it.

Blue Area Vet

Magical attacks are an inherent vulnerability for Superman. Its not making Surfer more durable. Even then, Superman has taken magical attacks better than other heralds.
That's not how it works.

Superman tanks shit like Juggernaut.
Based on? How is he more durable in energy or cutting attacks?

laughing

Don't worry, no one believed you in the first place.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by quanchi112
Everyone could see right through his lies. Onepunch has gotten into the entire fanbases head.

No only that, it's not even a battle thread. I thought those threads get closed quickly? That's what I was told when I did my one and only non-battle thread.

Blue Area Vet
laughing out loud

Surfer is literally an eunuch.

Also Superman>>>>>>>Thanos.

ha-som

Two words: therapy and medication

-Pr-
Why it's been open this long was addressed on the second page of the thread.

You guys are ****ing ridiculous sometimes.

Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
The mods are bias toward the most pathetic Superman fans. Bait if I've ever smelt it.

No, we really aren't.

carver9
no expression

Blue Area Vet
Why it's been open this long was addressed on the second page of the thread.

You guys are ****ing ridiculous sometimes.

No, we really aren't.

Right. You just needed to see where this thread was going to go, got it. embarrasment

-Pr-
This is what I get for giving you guys second chances. Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.