Fawcett Captain Marvel Vs Tyrant

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
http://www.spikemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/marvel.jpg

Good guy bad guy fight.
No prep.
No BFR.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/TyrantCosmic49iyxwh.jpg/250px-TyrantCosmic49iyxwh.jpg

riv6672
Bump

TethAdamTheRock
Slight Edge to Tyrant

operator616
Why would you think this is a good battle? CM doesn't even come close to Tyrant.

carver9
It's pre crisis Cap. I think that speaks a different story.

operator616
Originally posted by carver9

No it isn't different at all. What has golden age CM done that puts him above Tyrant?

CosmicComet
Fawcett Cap wins.

He is flat out invulnerable at greatest and has easily beaten people far above a mere low cosmic/high skyfather being like Tyrant. Like beings who write the laws of the entire universe. They were flat out powerless to stop him.

He is casually fast enough to travel through time, fast enough to rebuild an entire planet that had exploded into tiny chunks in like a panel (so Tyrant is flat out not touching him at all unless Cap wants him to), he can shove giant stars that are made of solid matter at speeds that would be well above FTL. Casually broke a giant block of neutron star material (a mere teaspoon of this stuff would weigh millions of tons) Strong enough to bend a metal that was completely invulnerable to anything except himself, as an example that same metal was so dense that even magical ghosts couldn't walk through it.

He can exist in Infinity, a void outside of the multiverse where nothing can exist at all, and instead of being erased, the marvels were completely ok and flat out stated to be completely indestructible as the reason for their survival.

operator616
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Fawcett Cap wins.

He is flat out invulnerable at greatest and has easily beaten people far above a mere low cosmic/high skyfather being like Tyrant. Like beings who write the laws of the entire universe. They were flat out powerless to stop him.

He hasn't faced anyone who comes even close to tyrant. Most of his comics he faces someone who is going to blow up the earth and deactivates the bomb in time.

So much for being invulnerable though.

http://imgur.com/pk0KisY

There are more examples i recall. I just have to remember the incidents.

He is casually fast enough to travel through time

He travels through time through the rock of eternity. Like, every time.

fast enough to rebuild an entire planet that had exploded into tiny chunks in like a panel (so Tyrant is flat out not touching him at all unless Cap wants him to), he can shove giant stars that are made of solid matter at speeds that would be well above FTL. Casually broke a giant block of neutron star material (a mere teaspoon of this stuff would weigh millions of tons) Strong enough to bend a metal that was completely invulnerable to anything except himself, as an example that same metal was so dense that even magical ghosts couldn't walk through it.

...Is that supposed to be impressive?

You do realize he's facing Tyrant? Galactus had to devour a planet to face him and he avoided a conflict with him because it would destroy the universe. At full power a battle between galactus and tyrant destroyed galaxies. Yet here you are, mentioning planet/star level feats. laughing out loud

Also, like i said, more examples coming on his limitations.

He can exist in Infinity, a void outside of the multiverse where nothing can exist at all, and instead of being erased, the marvels were completely ok and flat out stated to be completely indestructible as the reason for their survival.

The multiverse didn't even exist back then. At most, his comics featured some other dimension. So what are you even talking about?

The Marvel family strained itself to push back an iceberg or something.

JBL
Tyrant in a flat out stomp. Spite really.

operator616
Originally posted by operator616

There are more examples i recall. I just have to remember the incidents.

Also, like i said, more examples coming on his limitations.

Is completely exhausted after he exerts all his strength to push against Earth's inertia.

http://imgur.com/8n3byih

Struggles against a freakin' shark, and exerts his full powers to stop it.

http://imgur.com/FAh9Wlg

Marvel family admit that it would take them centuries to move all the worlds/stars in the galaxy.

http://imgur.com/sCXqaUN
http://imgur.com/ez46LI0

Marvel family completely exhausted after pushing back the iceberg.

http://imgur.com/n8VpYsd

Marvel family have also struggled to push back a regular ship from what i recall, as well as fully exhausted after being subjected to some pressure from the boiler. More-so, i remember CM being vulnerable to telepathy and his strength has been ineffective a number of times. Mostly he never faced powerful menaces but there was the occasional space creatures like the space dragon whom CM wasn't able to destroy no matter how hard he tried and eventually destroyed him with an atomic bomb iirc. I remember all those but couldn't pinpoint the issues, so maybe ill search for them later on. This should be enough though. The whole marvel family is nowhere near Tyrant.

riv6672
Originally posted by carver9
It does, IMO, which is why i made the thread.

Inedian
Tyrant

riv6672
Is completely exhausted after he exerts all his strength to push against Earth's inertia.

Marvel family admit that it would take them centuries to move all the worlds/stars in the galaxy.

Marvel family have also struggled to push back a regular ship from what i recall, as well as fully exhausted after being subjected to some pressure from the boiler. More-so, i remember CM being vulnerable to telepathy and his strength has been ineffective a number of times. Mostly he never faced powerful menaces but there was the occasional space creatures like the space dragon whom CM wasn't able to destroy no matter how hard he tried and eventually destroyed him with an atomic bomb iirc. I remember all those but couldn't pinpoint the issues, so maybe ill search for them later on. This should be enough though. The whole marvel family is nowhere near Tyrant.
Thats a great job lowballing, but it doesnt negate the Marvel Family's high end feats.
What you've cited speaks to that era's childish/cartoony writing, but that same cartoonish style aso has CM do things like CosmicComet listed.

While not trying to pick a favorite, i cant let one or the other character just get nerfed. stick out tongue

operator616
Originally posted by riv6672
Thats a great job lowballing, but it doesnt negate the Marvel Family's high end feats.
What you've cited speaks to that era's childish/cartoony writing, but that same cartoonish style aso has CM do things like CosmicComet listed.

While not trying to pick a favorite, i cant let one or the other character just get nerfed. stick out tongue

That's a great job creating a spite thread.

And btw, these are not lowballing, they are average portrayals. Like i said, his regular comic has him going against humans devising a bomb to blow up the earth. He only occasionally goes up against some space creatures or aliens who are nowhere near cosmic level characters like the tyrant. I fail to see what's impressive about what CosmicComet mentioned. Planet/star level feats are completely irrelevant in regards to tyrant. And that's the upper limit of CM.

riv6672
Agree to disagree and all that.

If you arent going to give credence to any evidence except what you yourself present, and call spite when disagreed with, well, its an efficient, if juvenile way to debate.

operator616
Agree to disagree and all that.

If you arent going to give credence to any evidence except what you yourself present, and call spite when disagreed with, well, its an efficient, if juvenile way to debate.

What are you talking about? It's not like im denying CM's feats, im saying that even his best pale in comparison with Tyrant's.

The other scans were supposed to disprove the claims of CM being completely invulnerable (which mostly stems from the fact that he didn't really face any really powerful menaces) or operating at a level anywhere near Tyrant.

Galan007
Tyrant wins.

Genii96
Tyrant.

riv6672
Vote Tyrant, vote Luthor.

zopzop
Tyrant..................cause I'm a fanboy of his big grin

h1a8
No it isn't different at all. What has golden age CM done that puts him above Tyrant? Move planets, rearrange galaxies, effortlessly destroy planets, move dead stars, etc.

Or is that Silver age from whiz comics?

riv6672
Those feats are supposedly irrelevant in regards to Tyrant.
I didnt agree with that.

darthgoober

I'm also fimly against the way people frequently over inflate golden and silver age heroes, but I feel the need to defend those first two scans.

In the first, it doesn't say that he's using all his strength and the only time reference given for how long he sustains the feat is "endless hours". Sustaining any amount of strength continuously over time can be absolutely exhausting. Just pick up a 10 pound weight and hold your arm straight out for 10 minutes to see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that such a thing means he could take Tyrant, but according to you such a thing is an average portrayel rather than a high end feat and if such is the case it does denote a CRAZY amount of power. Crazy enough that depending on his high end feats I'd say he actually has the potential to win this one or at least make it hard fought for T.

And in the second scan, from the look of things it's the discarded inner being exerting his full powers to stop Cap Marvel, not Captain Mavel exerting his full powers to stop the shark.

riv6672
^^^Good stuff.
I'm not sure who'd win either, i just cant see dismissing one set of feats as irrelevant.

Inedian
Originally posted by h1a8
Move planets, rearrange galaxies, effortlessly destroy planets, move dead stars, etc.

And entire galaxies being destroyed between Tyrant and Galactus was just consequences of their fight.

TethAdamTheRock
Originally posted by Inedian
And entire galaxies being destroyed between Tyrant and Galactus was just consequences of their fight. Same thing confused

operator616
Move planets, rearrange galaxies, effortlessly destroy planets, move dead stars, etc.

The marvel family by their own admission couldn't rearrange a galaxy, among other things i mentioned. And im failing to see how planet or star level feats are relevant when he's going against Tyrant. Who has CM actually beaten to suggest that he's even in Tyrant's league?

It's the golden age. The particular scans are from Captain Marvel Adventures and Marvel family books.

Originally posted by darthgoober

In the first, it doesn't say that he's using all his strength and the only time reference given for how long he sustains the feat is "endless hours". Sustaining any amount of strength continuously over time can be absolutely exhausting. Just pick up a 10 pound weight and hold your arm straight out for 10 minutes to see what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that such a thing means he could take Tyrant, but according to you such a thing is an average portrayel rather than a high end feat and if such is the case it does denote a CRAZY amount of power. Crazy enough that depending on his high end feats I'd say he actually has the potential to win this one or at least make it hard fought for T.

Except that it's pretty well known that CM has the "limitless stamina" of atlas. I could post an instance where he holds a building or some such "for endless hours" and is completely inexhausted. What does that tell you? It clearly implies a strength and a stamina limit. It's because a building is nothing for him. But an entire planet, is not.

Anyway, is this more to your liking?

http://imgur.com/xYsfBEf

As i said, there is more where this comes from.

Also, i don't remember CM beating anyone who is on tyrant's level. In fact, the occasional super-powered beings (who are nowhere near Tyrant, mind you) whom CM encountered, he wasn't very effective against them.

And in the second scan, from the look of things it's the discarded inner being exerting his full powers to stop Cap Marvel, not Captain Mavel exerting his full powers to stop the shark.

Right. I remembered the shark instance but didn't re-read the issue, i recall that the instincts were literally reflecting his own thoughts so i didn't pay attention. Either way, you'll see that there was a "vigorous" battle, so...

riv6672
Still efficient. thumb up

darthgoober
Except that it's pretty well known that CM has the "limitless stamina" of atlas. I could post an instance where he holds a building or some such "for endless hours" and is completely inexhausted. What does that tell you? It clearly implies a strength and a stamina limit. It's because a building is nothing for him. But an entire planet, is not.

Anyway, is this more to your liking?

http://imgur.com/xYsfBEf

As i said, there is more where this comes from.

Also, i don't remember CM beating anyone who is on tyrant's level. In fact, the occasional super-powered beings (who are nowhere near Tyrant, mind you) whom CM encountered, he wasn't very effective against them.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm in no way try to support that CM's strength/stamina is actually unlimited. I was just pointing out that when you examine the feat it's actually pretty impressive and if that kind of thing qualifies as being in the realm of "average" for him then I'd say he's in the trans tier at least. I mean guys like Thor and Supes have crazy feats like that too, but those are their high end stuff, not the average.

I know literally nothing about Golden Age Cap so I honestly can't comment on him overall from any kind of first hand knowledge. I was simply extrapolating based off the feat presented and your comment. That's why I said the outcome would depend on what qualified as high end for him.

Right. I remembered the shark instance but didn't re-read the issue, i recall that the instincts were literally reflecting his own thoughts so i didn't pay attention. Either way, you'll see that there was a "vigorous" battle, so...
Very true. In this instance I wasn't even defending the showing, just addressing your synopsis of what happened.

operator616
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm in no way try to support that CM's strength/stamina is actually unlimited. I was just pointing out that when you examine the feat it's actually pretty impressive and if that kind of thing qualifies as being in the realm of "average" for him then I'd say he's in the trans tier at least. I mean guys like Thor and Supes have crazy feats like that too, but those are their high end stuff, not the average.

Yes it's his average. He has also fairly easily split worlds in half. He's definitely in the trans tier and above Thor/Superman in these type of feats, but he doesn't have the combat showings either. For instance he has stalemated Mr Atom who basically "only" has the power of a nuclear reactor, he even commented that he was using his full strength when fighting with him. Same thing with Oggar. Yet people here would let me believe that he could stand up against Tyrant.

darthgoober
Yes it's his average. He has also fairly easily split worlds in half. He's definitely in the trans tier and above Thor/Superman in these type of feats, but he doesn't have the combat showings either. For instance he has stalemated Mr Atom who basically "only" has the power of a nuclear reactor, he even commented that he was using his full strength when fighting with him. Same thing with Oggar. Yet people here would let me believe that he could stand up against Tyrant.
Well then it would depend on which version of Tyrant we're talking about. "Full Power" Tyrant is something of a theoretical character because we never actually saw that guy on panel. Yes if we take his description at face value then he was a truely awesome being but on KMC the standard is to be at least somewhat skeptical of characters who have only off panel feats.

The somewhat less powerful Tyrant that we actually saw certainly seemed powerful, but to say that he definitively blows away someone with feats like Golden Age CM seems to have on his resume would be a bit of a stretch IMO.

operator616
Well then it would depend on which version of Tyrant we're talking about. "Full Power" Tyrant is something of a theoretical character because we never actually saw that guy on panel. Yes if we take his description at face value then he was a truely awesome being but on KMC the standard is to be at least somewhat skeptical of characters who have only off panel feats.

The somewhat less powerful Tyrant that we actually saw certainly seemed powerful, but to say that he definitively blows away someone with feats like Golden Age CM seems to have on his resume would be a bit of a stretch IMO.

I don't think so. The somewhat less powerful Tyrant which you mentioned was gradually absorbing power for all those eons, and even stated that he is at the "peak" of his power from what i recall. Also, he handled the heralds fairly easily as well as managed to own Galactus. And remember Galactus basically had the advantage in that fight since he just fed on a world, and eveytime Galactus feeds on a world, this only makes Tyrant weaker. More-so, combat showings seemed to indicate that CM has no chance against Tyrant.

darthgoober
I don't think so. The somewhat less powerful Tyrant which you mentioned was gradually absorbing power for all those eons, and even stated that he is at the "peak" of his power from what i recall. Also, he handled the heralds fairly easily as well as managed to own Galactus. And remember Galactus basically had the advantage in that fight since he just fed on a world, and eveytime Galactus feeds on a world, this only makes Tyrant weaker. More-so, combat showings seemed to indicate that CM has no chance against Tyrant.
Yes but if we credit the Tyrant we actually saw as being stronger than ever then it throws serious skeptisim on the description of his confrontation with Galactus eons ago because there was no where near that kind of power output exhibeted. So it could very well be that the massive amount of collarteral damage done had to do with prepped traps from both, all kinds of tech that they no longer have, or any number of other things.

operator616
Yes but if we credit the Tyrant we actually saw as being stronger than ever then it throws serious skeptisim on the description of his confrontation with Galactus eons ago because there was no where near that kind of power output exhibeted. So it could very well be that the massive amount of collarteral damage done had to do with prepped traps from both, all kinds of tech that they no longer have, or any number of other things.

Well, even in their second encounter (after the original, many eons ago), Tyrant and Galactus did avoid conflict due to the very fact that they would do untold amounts of damage.

Although the fact that Tyrant is shown as being Galactus' peer is the real highlight of his showings, more-so than the collateral damage their fight would produce, imo.

leonidas
comparing eras like this never works and really probably shouldn't even be allowed in these versus match ups. i've had the discussion many times regarding both cap marvel and superman, as well as black adam. things like 'invulnerability' and even strength were defined by completely different standards, and limits changed with the need for story far more back then than they did now. story telling and internal consistency mean way more now than they ever did then, and as a result you have wildly fluctuating extremes for those old time characters, and utterly nonsensical showings that can't be compared fairly with today, when fans demand a much more logical approach to story telling. the villains are far more grand now, the situations more thought out.

operator is exactly right in what he's been saying. it's impossible to compare these characters because EVERYTHING is different now. how can you discuss someone who is invulnerable one moment, can move planets and struggles with a shark. purely story driven powers. even feats dont matter because they were viewed differently then, not fully thought out like many of today's are. cm never fought anyone close to tyrant and we can't simply take cm's feats at face value because of the illogical, and cartoonish nature of those feats.

apples and oranges.

(but tyrant wins, no doubt)

darthgoober
Well, even in their second encounter (after the original, many eons ago), Tyrant and Galactus did avoid conflict due to the very fact that they would do untold amounts of damage.

Although the fact that Tyrant is shown as being Galactus' peer is the real highlight of his showings, more-so than the collateral damage their fight would produce, imo.
See I agree with what you're saying about the importance of collateral damage in principle, but Galactus's showings are just SO variable that being portrayed as his "peer" in such a limited engagement isn't really all that telling. I do believe that it's impressive, but I can't personally give it too much credit in the overall scheme of things. I absolutely think it justifies saying he'd whip the Hell out of Supes, Thor, or Surfer... but beyond that kind of general sense of placement it just doesn't seem right to treat his level of power as something that's definately nailed down. High Heralds can rise to the rank of Trans or even Skyfather on occasion, therefor Trans should theoretically be able to rise to the rank of skyfather or low abstract. IMO the guy would need one or two more productive showings to really justify me giving him the credit in my mind that you seem to be wanting to. And I'm not saying that you're "wrong" for giving him that kind of credit, I'm just saying that I can understand why some might consider this to be a valid matchup.

Stoic
In my opinion, Tyrant is far too much for Captain Marvel to deal with. Tyrant's lows would be Captain Marvel's highs. Tyrant's highs would be Captain Marvel's pipe dream. The difference between the two is immeasurable, and it would take teams of Captain Marvel level characters to take on Tyrant. It's just the way that Tyrant was portrayed from the beginning til his end. I just can't imagine any writer ever making a character of Captain Marvel's level (Gladiator for example) a threat to a well fed Galactus. Pretty ridiculous right?

operator616
Originally posted by leonidas
comparing eras like this never works and really probably shouldn't even be allowed in these versus match ups. i've had the discussion many times regarding both cap marvel and superman, as well as black adam. things like 'invulnerability' and even strength were defined by completely different standards, and limits changed with the need for story far more back then than they did now. story telling and internal consistency mean way more now than they ever did then, and as a result you have wildly fluctuating extremes for those old time characters, and utterly nonsensical showings that can't be compared fairly with today, when fans demand a much more logical approach to story telling. the villains are far more grand now, the situations more thought out.

operator is exactly right in what he's been saying. it's impossible to compare these characters because EVERYTHING is different now. how can you discuss someone who is invulnerable one moment, can move planets and struggles with a shark. purely story driven powers. even feats dont matter because they were viewed differently then, not fully thought out like many of today's are. cm never fought anyone close to tyrant and we can't simply take cm's feats at face value because of the illogical, and cartoonish nature of those feats.

apples and oranges.

(but tyrant wins, no doubt)

thumb up

See I agree with what you're saying about the importance of collateral damage in principle, but Galactus's showings are just SO variable that being portrayed as his "peer" in such a limited engagement isn't really all that telling. I do believe that it's impressive, but I can't personally give it too much credit in the overall scheme of things. I absolutely think it justifies saying he'd whip the Hell out of Supes, Thor, or Surfer... but beyond that kind of general sense of placement it just doesn't seem right to treat his level of power as something that's definately nailed down. High Heralds can rise to the rank of Trans or even Skyfather on occasion, therefor Trans should theoretically be able to rise to the rank of skyfather or low abstract. IMO the guy would need one or two more productive showings to really justify me giving him the credit in my mind that you seem to be wanting to. And I'm not saying that you're "wrong" for giving him that kind of credit, I'm just saying that I can understand why some might consider this to be a valid matchup.

I honestly have to say that i disagree. First of all, what do you mean that Galactus' showings vary? Im not sure i follow you here. Galactus has been consistently written as a god-like cosmic being, and was even portrayed on par with abstracts at times. He's legitimately above trans or even skyfather tiers.

Tyrant has been consistently shown to be Galactus' peer. Not once, but throughout all his (rather limited) appearances, so why should we treat him anything other that? This is not your regular case of a being who shines by standing up to someone above his tier. We know for a fact that Tyrant has been consistently written to be Galactus-level. Surfer may have a win against Mephisto, but on the other hand, he's been matched and beaten by Morg, Ronan, Karnak, Medusa, runner, super skrull, legacy, and many others, so we know were he stands on average. Tyrant's case is completely different, his average portrayal is Galactus-tier.

panthergod
Cap stomps. He stalemated Pre Crisis Superman.

leonidas
lol

riv6672
This was fun reading, worth the bump...thumb up

h1a8
Originally posted by Inedian
And entire galaxies being destroyed between Tyrant and Galactus was just consequences of their fight. That was FP Tyrant after he absorbed Galactus energy.
DP Tyrant is the standard we are using.
The one that was shown only a little to a few times above Gladiator.

At best DP Tyrant operated between mountain busting level and moon busting level. And he showed no great speed.

h1a8
Originally posted by Stoic
In my opinion, Tyrant is far too much for Captain Marvel to deal with. Tyrant's lows would be Captain Marvel's highs. Tyrant's highs would be Captain Marvel's pipe dream. The difference between the two is immeasurable, and it would take teams of Captain Marvel level characters to take on Tyrant. It's just the way that Tyrant was portrayed from the beginning til his end. I just can't imagine any writer ever making a character of Captain Marvel's level (Gladiator for example) a threat to a well fed Galactus. Pretty ridiculous right? If only this were true. I listed some of CM insane cartoonish feats.

Tyrant having to two shot Gladiator (one being a cheap shot) and struggle a little with Thanos is far far lower than CM space cheese feats.

None of DP Tryant showings even suggest that he has the power to blow up a planet. Mountain busting is probably around what he operated at. And that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

riv6672
^^^I was (and still am) of the opinion when starting this that CM's 30s cheesy cartoonishness put him on par with DP Tyrant's 90s grim & grittiness.

zopzop
DP Tyrant is the standard we are using.
How many times does this have to be explained to you? There is no "DP" Tyrant. The Tyrant that returned from exile to face Galactus was more than a match for him. First time they met after his return from exile, he actually forced Galactus to walk away without his herald. Galactus had FED prior to hunting down his herald, Morg, and was in a killing mood (as witnessed by Firelord). Yet he backed down when Tyrant threatened to go to war with him.

The second time they met, Galactus FED on a world that made him feel more powerful than he had in ages AND Galactus had homefield advantage and it was a draw. Galactus panicked and used his machines which then backfired on him.

I even posted the scans in another thread. I'd repost them again but what's the point seeing as how you don't even read scans, let alone comics.

Sin I AM
Hmmm makes one wonder if anyone here actually READ pc books.

riv6672
Makes me wonder if anyone here is this funny in RL.

operator616
If only this were true. I listed some of CM insane cartoonish feats.

Tyrant having to two shot Gladiator (one being a cheap shot) and struggle a little with Thanos is far far lower than CM space cheese feats.

None of DP Tryant showings even suggest that he has the power to blow up a planet. Mountain busting is probably around what he operated at. And that's giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Seriously, what kind of argument is that? Quasar withstood all of watcher's attacks, what does that make a watcher, herald level or something?

Hell, even Tyrant's minions one-shotted Gladiator.

But Anyway, this is how CM fairs in a fight against a being with the power of an atomic bomb.

http://imgur.com/a/ivpvR

You own argument backfired right back at you.

DarkSaint85
Makes me wonder if anyone here is this funny in RL.

Pretty much.

carver9
Can't believe operator is debating against H1.

riv6672
^^^Its been interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.