Are consoles going to die

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Solid47
My friend who's a PC elitist keeps saying that consoles will became obsolete and that PC will dominate the gaming in the future.

What do you guys think of this? Do you guys think what he's saying is true or is complete bulls#*t? I don't think consoles are going to die soon or sooner.

Smasandian
No.

They have been saying that for years.

I never understood why people think that PC gaming will dominate. The issues people had with PC gaming still exists. The only thing that really changed is that it's much easier to buy games for PC with multiple different type of downloadable software clients (Steam, GOG and etc.). It's funny because during the previous generations heyday, people were saying that PC gaming is dying.....

There is pros and cons of PC gaming. I can't wait for people needing to deal with upgrading a constant basis based on games that are being released. It's frustrating and expensive and requires some computer skills in order to save money.

This all comes about because these consoles are one of the first to released where companies are not losing money from each sale. That's why they are not as powerful as they could be. Both PS3 and 360 were ahead of its time because Sony and MS were willing to lose money. This is not the case with Xbox One and PS4. However, console gaming is about convenience and that each game will work.

I hope console gaming doesn't die.

Firefly218
no

cdtm
I don't think they'll die, but MS and Sony sure aren't helping to keep them alive with some of their dumbass decisions..

Smasandian
Like what?

ares834

Smasandian
Hahaha...that's always been the case with PC. You can always do that. The difference is that the ongoing argument regarding console vs PC is that the graphics are much better on the PC.

Then what's the point of getting a $2000 machine if graphics will just be "console" like for the 5 years you have it.

Another problem is that graphics on consoles tend to get better once developers figure out the console. That's not the case with PC games. Even if you turn down the graphics for a game two years from now, in a lot of cases it still doesn't run well.

If you want to have the "PC Master Race" experience that everybody talks about, you need to upgrade. It's a must and that's why 90% of PC gamers replace their $500 videocards with another $500 videocard.

cdtm
Originally posted by Smasandian
Like what?

Lots of things.

Sony's lack of backwards compatibility for PS3 games. Making people rebuy everything, or buy into a stupid "rental" steaming system. I also don't like the new new PS4.. Stinks of "32 X" desperation fleecing of consumers. But more importantly, demanding dev's create games that cator to it is an added expense, and will probably lead to a crippled "normal mode", vs an enhanced mode as intended.

MS has a much better system, but they're also a pretty bad choice for pure gaming. No Street Fighter 5, and a general disinterest in certain genre's, an oppressive indy system, announcing a drop of 360 support (Sends the message "Upgrade already, you holdout!"wink

ares834
Originally posted by Smasandian
Hahaha...that's always been the case with PC. You can always do that. The difference is that the ongoing argument regarding console vs PC is that the graphics are much better on the PC.

Then what's the point of getting a $2000 machine if graphics will just be "console" like for the 5 years you have it.

Another problem is that graphics on consoles tend to get better once developers figure out the console. That's not the case with PC games. Even if you turn down the graphics for a game two years from now, in a lot of cases it still doesn't run well.

If you want to have the "PC Master Race" experience that everybody talks about, you need to upgrade. It's a must and that's why 90% of PC gamers replace their $500 videocards with another $500 videocard.

Not true either. My $800 machine is going to look better than this current gen. Forever. It quite simply has better hardware.

And as long as you update your drivers, you should have no problem running games as long as the developer has created a competent PC port.

CPT Space Bomb
It's not just about graphics being better. It's about the frames. Dark Souls 3 for instance is LOCKED at only 30 fps on consoles....that sucks. On the PC it's 60.

It's always been the case that PC is superior if you can afford it. Consoles are the cheaper and WAY more accessible option. Also, both platforms have pluses and minuses.

MMO player? You're gonna need a PC in most cases.

Want MORE games? Consoles generally have more mainstream titles to choose from.

-Pr-
People also exaggerate how expensive PC gaming is. It can be expensive, sure, but it doesn't have to.

Especially for americans.

cdtm
Originally posted by -Pr-
People also exaggerate how expensive PC gaming is. It can be expensive, sure, but it doesn't have to.

Especially for americans.

Space, on the other hand, could be an issue.

Managed to fit everything in my dorm days, but don't think I'd want to live like a college kid at my own place..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.