A question staff

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dude111
Hello guys how are you???

Im curious why we cant disable USE COOKIES on this site... In my experience with certain sites that did allow using SESSION HASHS in the links instead of cookies result in THE SITE IS EVEN FASTER LOADING! (As the computer doesnt have to constantly read your local session cookie)

Any chance of getting this unblocked so we can disable it if we want? (THIS SITE IS NICE AND FAST NOW BUT WOULD BE EVEN FASTER IF WE COULD USE SESSION HASHS)

This is what I mean (Browse board with cookies) -- NO IS GREYED OUT as you can see......

walshy
Wtf is that windows 95

Dude111
No Win98se smile

Jesus McBurger
Im more of a vista kinda guy

StiltmanFTW
Lol. Finally someone with older OS than mine.

Dude111
Thank you for your kind words smile

StiltmanFTW
As for your question... the admin doesn't come here often, so chances of making any changes are abysmal.

Dude111
Ya I hear ya bud,no biggie I suppose.......

JKBart
You should really get a computer/operating system that's not ancient, then worry about loading the site 1 second faster

Time-Immemorial
There ain't no staff here, the owner is in jail, the co admin retired.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
the owner is in jail

That one tweet is not much of a proof, everyone had the password to that account.

Time-Immemorial
Who said everyone had the password ?his place is dead dude, we got one guy left who trying to enforce the "rules"

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Who said everyone had the password ?his place is dead dude, we got one guy left who trying to enforce the "rules"

There's a thread:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f61/t628774.html

Raz was never very active in last years to begin with, tbh. There's really no difference.

Time-Immemorial
That's so awesome

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Dude111
No Win98se smile

Are you still using it?

Dude111
I love Win98se my friend,its always been my favourite...

Thank you for asking smile

StiltmanFTW
I'm on Windows XP. Had to upgrade from SP2 to SP3 when I got a new video card, bummer stick out tongue

Dude111
Im sorry you had some problems sad

StiltmanFTW
Nothing too major, but still bothersome to an extent.

Can't run my favourite oldschool game anymore, for example (X2: Wolverine's Revenge). Maybe I need a patch or something. Experimenting with compatibility modes didn't work, obviously.

StiltmanFTW
Still using 98se, Dude?

Dude111
I love 98se buddy smile

I had a hell of a time getting in tonight... I didnt have "Automatically login when you return to the site" enabled and wouldnt stay logged in!! (It was like I had 'BROWSE BOARD WITH COOKIES' disabled)

I didnt ever have "Automatically login when you return to the site" enabled before either,they must have made some un-needed change since I was last here)

I was just about to send an email to the address listed and I figured out a way to stay in long enough to enable that.......

StiltmanFTW
98 was a great OS, yup. Great to hear it keeps serving you well thumb up

Still experiecing those technical difficulties on the forum?

Dude111
No thankfully its ok smile

This is a good site!!

StiltmanFTW
It really is thumb up

Robtard
LoLz @ Stilt remembering to ask on almost a yearly basis thumb up

StiltmanFTW
embarrasment

laughing out loud

I'll be sure to ask him the next year, too.

Dude111
Ah man!!

StiltmanFTW
You don't experience any problems with video codecs, accessing some websites or games? stick out tongue

I won't lie, I miss 98.

Dude111
Yeah well if I wanna watch youtube vids I gotta convert and watch locally with VLC.. Not a big deal but if I wanna watch them I can....

You dont have your 98se anymore buddy??

StiltmanFTW
Yeah well if I wanna watch youtube vids I gotta convert and watch locally with VLC.. Not a big deal but if I wanna watch them I can....

I googled and it seems you're right - VLC is the way.

You dont have your 98se anymore buddy??

Man, it's been so many years. Last time I used it was somewhere around 1998-2001? Don't remember.

I'd ask my grandfather where he kept the CD, but he's dead.

Of course, I could always download it shifty But I'm fine sticking with XP for the time being.

8, 8.1 and 10 can kiss my ass.

Dude111
I hear ya!!

StiltmanFTW
Any games you're playing on your 98SE?

Dude111
I love playing my mame stuff yes smile

Mame and Atari 2600,coleco and I have a Nintendo Emulator also (I only have 1 game on it (SUPER MARIO I))

Do yuo like emulators buddy?? (They sure arent as good as the console itself-- ESPECIALLY MAME!! (I would rather play on the original 80s consoles))

StiltmanFTW
I like emulators in general, even though - as you just said - they aren't as good as the consoles themselves. Not gonna argue with that. You're 100% right here.

But hey, I'm sure happy they exist. Makes it easy.

Played NES Godzilla and Ninja Gaiden 3 recently. Good stuff.

Dude111
Ind33d so smile

StiltmanFTW
Since it's 2020, I need to ask again...

Your 98SE is still serving you well, Dude111? big grin

Dude111
I love it buddy smile

Its my favourite OS ever........... Im glad you remember and think nicely of me and all......

StiltmanFTW
Great to hear it keeps serving you well thumb up

Dude111
I just think all this HTTPS is just BS to try and get OLDER BROWSERS off the net cause they cant spy on people as easy that are using older stuff..... (Older browsers cant connect to these certs)

Its sad people are falling for this BS and putting HTTPS on sites that dont need SSL.... FIREFOX/CHROME scaring people is very wrong.....

StiltmanFTW
I agree.

And it keeps getting worse. Luckily, users make wonderful browsers such as MyPal, so I can surf the web with no issues.

Some sites force you to use Windows 10, though, they deny the access otherwise.

Dude111
Hmm what site forces Win10?? (Ill try it and see what happens)

StiltmanFTW
Sex cams, for example.

https://showup.tv/

(accessing the site itself is not the problem, but actually being able to watch transmission is)

Dude111
Is it because of the flash version they are using? (I wonder if ya could make it look like the required version and it might work)

StiltmanFTW
Need to ask again...

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Still using 98se, Dude?

wink

Dude111
You know how much I love it buddy smile

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

And I'm still using XP SP3 laughing out loud

Dude111
Very good,nothing to be shy about!!!!

Peace and love to you my friend!

StiltmanFTW
Very good,nothing to be shy about!!!!

As long as it works relatively smoothly and I can play my old games on it, yeah, I'm more than okay with it smile

And the Mypal browser keeps getting new updates frequently.

Peace and love to you my friend!

Peace and love to you too, bro thumb up

Dude111
Thank you buddy,you seem to be really nice!

StiltmanFTW
Do you know someone who is still using 95 or standard 98 (not SE)?

Just curious.

walshy
Why have you been having this conversation in this thread for four years

StiltmanFTW
It's a tradition at this point.

Originally posted by Robtard
LoLz @ Stilt remembering to ask on almost a yearly basis thumb up

Dude111
No I dont still do you??

Do you know anyone runniing a mac??? (I mean an original mac -- They can get online right??)

StiltmanFTW
No, unfortunately sad

You are the only guy I know (well, I don't really *know* you, but we've been posting on the same forgotten message board for six years, so that's gotta count for something), who still uses one of the oldest Windows OS.

That's what caught my attention and impressed me in the first place. I say, keep doing it thumb up

--
BUT... I know a few law offices that still work on Windows XP, as hard to believe as that may be.

Dude111
Well thank you for tour kind words my friend,I replied to your PM smile

I love Win98se.... Its user friednly and lets you do what you want to. (Play flash games,etc)

StiltmanFTW
thumb up

Old Man Whirly!
I can't add anything but default avatars these days

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
I can't add anything but default avatars these days

It needs to be a small pic. Check the resolution requirements.

Also... it needs to be "light", too. Check the kb/mb requirements.

Resizing pics is not problematic. But reducing the file size might be sometimes, as quality can become quite shitty.

The real reason you can't change your avi is because you're lazy, Whirly.

Old Man Whirly!
It needs to be a small pic. Check the resolution requirements.

Also... it needs to be "light", too. Check the kb/mb requirements.

Resizing pics is not problematic. But reducing the file size might be sometimes, as quality can become quite shitty.

The real reason you can't change your avi is because you're lazy, Whirly.

I still have internet for a bit stilt, so I'll reply, it's not that, it's not even accepting decade old avi's of mine. I just tried my old Tharg avi from around 2005 or 6 it won't even take that.

StiltmanFTW
Raz tinkered with the site several times, so maybe he messed it up even further biscuits

You're sure its 1) format, 2) size and 3) resolution requirements are all okay?

Try to convert it to some other format and try again.

Alternatively, upload it on some image hosting site (or as an attachment in your email box), download it from there and try again.

StiltmanFTW
Raz tinkered with the site several times, so maybe he messed it up even further biscuits

You're sure its 1) format, 2) size and 3) resolution requirements are all okay?

Try to convert it to some other format and try again.

Alternatively, upload it on some image hosting site (or as an attachment in your email box), download it from there and try again.

Stop running, Whirly.

Change your damn avi.

Robtard
@dude111

At least upgrade to Windows XP. You'll still be able to use your old browsers.

Out of curiosity, what processor are you running?

StiltmanFTW
Dude loves that old operating system, there's no way you can convince him to upgrade.

Still, I believe there are some alternatives to MyIE2, such as old versions of K-Meleon or Opera --- but I can't be sure without testing it myself.

Robtard
Seems like a hassle and the speeds must be cringe worthy.

StiltmanFTW
Sure. It's quite rare these days. Assuming he's not trolling us, of course, but his screenshots and MyIE2 files he sent me once tell me he's probably not.

In the end, it depends on what you're using your computer for, really.

If he just wants it for KMC forums and, let's say, old games (which may not be fully compatible with newer OS, as Windows is really infamous for it) and writing some simple documents using MS Office 97, then hey, it's a good machine.

There are ways to bypass the RAM limit on old Windows-es, but that requires some tinkering.

Robtard
Yeah, 98 has a max ram of 1gb. That's just inconceivable these days.

Your XP can at least hold what people consider a functional minimum these days, 16gb. I'm assuming you're running 64bit XP.

StiltmanFTW
I'm a proud owner of the 32-bit XP machine, actually.

64-bit XP has a lot of issues in different areas. And by that I mean, it's much harder to find & download modernized software for it.

Such as using a browser mimicking the functionality of Chrome (version 87.0.4280.66) from the end of year 2020. Meaning most sites work as they should. Including the web conferencing ("webinars"wink, so crazy popular now in the era of COVID-19.

Unless we're talking about video games or advanced programs, then there is no trouble doing the usual web-browsing, instant messaging, video watching stuff with much less RAM. Keep in mind XP in itself is not a very resource consuming system, unlike its successors.

Of course, the right virtual memory settings and a good video card do contribute a lot.

Anyway, bypassing the RAM limit is not impossible:

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018/01/windows-xp-ram-patch.html

Even for Windows 98 (to a much lesser degree, but still):

https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2019/12/windows-9598me-ram-patch.html

--
Dude told me once how he downloads the YouTube videos if he wishes to see them --- seems like too much hassle, as you said earlier, but if it works for his needs... then who are we to judge?

Dude111
Ya Im glad I dont do very much Rob,I only have 64Megs of Ram and 8 are shared with the monitor so really I only have 56.8 or so (Plus the swap file which sometimes gets huge)

Why does 98/98se only have a 1GB limit does anyone know?

StiltmanFTW
You never thought of trying to bypass said limit, as described above?

Dude111
Ya you probably could,I have read people doing so........

StiltmanFTW
If you don't feel like doing it yourself, ask in a few computer shops - they shouldn't charge you too much for it.

Dude111
My only worry would be really mocking something up by doing so....

StiltmanFTW
Give it some thought, all I'm saying thumb up

Dude111
I suppose anything is possible if someone really wants to do it...

They probably figured 98 doesnt need that much ram because its smaller in size than the later OS's,I dunno.......

StiltmanFTW
Welcome back to KMC.

Almost anything, yes.

Needless to say, many old OS would be much more popular if they weren't deprived of the official support.

Old Man Whirly!
smile

Dude111
Ya you might think if someone paid them they would continue support if one wanted it!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.