Darth Nihilus' Force Drain - Is There A Defense?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Polling.

JKBart
> Yes. Anyone with Droma's technique, immense willpower, and comparable power to Darth Nihilus can defend against it.

Pretty much this. The immensely powerful guys won't be drained instantly, and honestly, people like Luke/Yoda can just kill Nihilus in the meantime without being damaged too much, but that's a different thing than actual defense.

The Merchant
The thing is you have to assume the Dark Reaper uses the same thing Nihilus does, which from Nihilus's drain sounds much different than normal drain. It sounds like a fusion of Force Sever and Drain itself. I brought up the Dark Reaper stuff in the past to suggest this but nowadays I dunno.

SunRazer
Chose option 4 as well.

Zenwolf
What's normal drain? I don't get this logic with saying the Dark Reaper is somehow different than Nihilus' drain. What's the basis for that? I don't see any reference or quote in saying that Nihilus has some kinda different drain.

There's no noted Force Drain variants...it's all just drain.

The Merchant
Traya says Nihilus cuts you off from the force similar to Force Sever but instead of just making you not be able to use the Force it causes death instead and he feeds from the death. Normal drain is basically just draining the force energy from an opponent until they die, unless I'm wrong and Trayas description is just how drain works but she says it in a more poetic way.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by The Merchant
Traya says Nihilus cuts you off from the force similar to Force Sever but instead of just making you not be able to use the Force it causes death instead and he feeds from the death. Normal drain is basically just draining the force energy from an opponent until they die, unless I'm wrong and Trayas description is just how drain works but she says it in a more poetic way.
KOTOR II just makes no sense in general, so it could very well be a difference or Traya just being a flowery wording *****

Zenwolf
Well if it was a different type of Drain, I'm sure it'd be noted somewhere as being different in its use. Fact is though...it's not, perhaps given Nihilus he mastered it to a point, but I figure it's still just Drain. It's say according to the Guide, that he has life drain at radical heights.

Meaning that it's the same Force Drain technique he uses, he just has it above everyone else.

S_W_LeGenD
We know that being a Wound in the Force is an example of a defense. But you don't become a Wound in the Force at whim or easily. This is more like a product of circumstances.

Immortality seems to be a another form of defense. KoTOR II cut-content affirms this. Additionally, Hands were subjected to Force Drain powers and endured them while being corporeally immortal.

Conventional methods also exist such as the technique used by Ulic Qel-Droma. However, I am not sure how effective it would be against most potent expressions of Force Drain. I believe that this technique have limitations.

Another odd method is to counter-drain a nearby being or individual to endure the effects of Force Drain powers. Revan adopted this approach to survive in captivity. Though this tactic may not be possible in every combat situation.

In the nutshell, it is far from easy to endure Force Drain powers of Darth Nihilus and walk away from the ordeal. Being a Wound or Valkorion is probably the safer bet.

Unbowed
In Plagueis' entry in the Book of Sith he mentions that Sever Force basically cuts a Force sensitive's midichlorians in half. Assuming Nihilus' drain operates on the same principle, then Plagueis could theoretically defend himself, provided he has enough control over his own midichlorians.

Other than that, no. Kreia was the one who taught Nihilus how to consume planets, and we know she could use it herself, on a lesser scale. She was extremely powerful and had all the knowledge of Malachor at her disposal, plus her decades as a Jedi historian. If she says there is no defence, I'm inclined to believe her.

Unbowed
Immortality seems to be a another form of defense. KoTOR II cut-content affirms this.

If you're referring to the showdown between Nihilus and Sion, IIRC Sion was supposed to die in that scene.

Stealth Moose
A lot of reaching involved here. Nihilus' drain, at its apex, was an instantaneous planet-rending cosmic apocalypse. At its weakest (at the end of TSL), it's hardly better than the Exile's. However, Traya notes that only the Exile had the void-like ability to turn the drain against Nihilus; Traya herself, Sion and others who lived during Ulic's era and in the former's case well versed in Force lore.

Nihilus has always been described as having high level, almost plot-breaking powers. The idea that people can just instantly think good thoughts and defend against it lacks decisive evidence.

Freedon Nadd
Nope.

The Ellimist
Nihilus has to stun people first so...

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by The Ellimist

Wide-planetary Force stun in that case Happy Dance

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Where'd you get that from again?

Trocity
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
A lot of reaching involved here. Nihilus' drain, at its apex, was an instantaneous planet-rending cosmic apocalypse. At its weakest (at the end of TSL), it's hardly better than the Exile's. However, Traya notes that only the Exile had the void-like ability to turn the drain against Nihilus; Traya herself, Sion and others who lived during Ulic's era and in the former's case well versed in Force lore.

Nihilus has always been described as having high level, almost plot-breaking powers. The idea that people can just instantly think good thoughts and defend against it lacks decisive evidence.

LOL.

Nephthys
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Where'd you get that from again?

Azronger, probably. smile

NewGuy01
damn

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Nephthys
Azronger, probably. smile

Azronger is Emillist's model? messed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.