Spider-Man (PS4)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
The rumored Spiderman title surprisingly ended up being real. I love me some Spidey, so I'm hyped. I just hope its not like the previous Amazing Spiderman games. They screwed those up. Also, not liking the new suit.

sLm1A2-Fr7s

-Pr-
Might be good.

BruceSkywalker
I'm stoked for this... loving the new spidey duds

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Arachnid1
The rumored Spiderman title surprisingly ended up being real. I love me some Spidey, so I'm hyped. I just hope its not like the previous Amazing Spiderman games. They screwed those up. Also, not liking the new suit.

sLm1A2-Fr7s
New suit looks alright. But if that logo were black, it'd be way better. That much white in the center kind of makes it a little jarring.

Also, I am sincerely hoping that this game has an open-world and web-swinging mechanic like that in the Spider-Man 2 game by Treyarch, Stoked for this. One of my favourite characters in a game by one of my favourite developers.

Zack Fair
Footage look good.

ares834
Looks decent. I've enjoyed most of the Spider-Man games so I have faith in this. But damn is Spidey's outfit awful.

CosmicComet
I thought Spidey's outfit looked great.

Game itself looked amazing.

Sony did so great.

Impediment
WTF is that outfit?

Looks good, overall.

Astner
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Game itself looked amazing.
What game? It's a cinematic trailer.

CPT Space Bomb
The gameplay looks good, but I agree that suit is retarded.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Astner
What game? It's a cinematic trailer.

Its gameplay

Battlefield 1 now that's a cinematic trailer.

Quincy
This looks fun as hell.

I'm sure they'll give us a bunch of alt costumes so I wouldn't worry about the suit

steverules_2
Hope it's free to roam around the city, the other games are so don't see why this shouldn't the same. For me as far as spider-man games go nothing beats Spider-man PS1 and Spider-Man 2 movie game PS2.

Kazenji
The game won't be tied into the upcoming movie Marvel creative director Bill Rosemann says

and

Insomniac confirms that Spider-Man's E3 trailer was all in-game PS4 footage

https://www.destructoid.com/insomniac-confirms-that-spider-man-s-e3-trailer-was-all-in-game-ps4-footage-370175.phtml

Arachnid1
http://www.gamesradar.com/spider-man-ps4-news/

There was a potential leak of the plot days ago, but it was removed so take it with a grain of salt.

The main villain may be Green Goblin, which I'm 100% behind. He needs to star in his own Spidey game.

steverules_2
I hope they get GG looking right

Demonic Phoenix
K4zm30yeHHE

Looks like Arkham-esque combat. I thought the navigation in combat areas was a lot like Shattered Dimensions, but probably wrong.

Free-roam navigation looks pretty good. Need to actually play it though.

Also, dem QTEs. And Miles.

ares834
QTEs everywhere.

Not impressed.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by ares834
QTEs everywhere.

Not impressed. This. Swinging was great but wtf @ all the quicktime

BruceSkywalker
can't wait to play

Demonic Phoenix
QTEs with shoulder buttons as well. That's painfully annoying.

Ridley_Prime
QTE's aside, seems like a decent enough experience like a solid Batman Arkham. Considering this.

Kazenji
Going to put those previous games from Beenox to shame this new one

good to see Mr Negative is getting some love too.

Adam Grimes
This looked solid tbh

Smasandian
You might as well call it Spiderman Asylum.

Which isn't a bad thing though....it's just nothing to get excited about.

Kazenji
Unless of course your a big fan of Spider-Man.

KingD19
The QTE's make sense, considering how Spidey uses so much of the environment in his fighting style. How else would they incorporate that into the game?

And if anything, Arkham was based of Spidey's fighting style in the first place. Just Arkham did it well in a game.

ares834
Spider-Man 2 did it over 15 years ago. I'm sorry, but QTEs are boring. They are fine for big epic moments in a boss fight but that's about the extent of it. I'd rather Spidey's fighting style be "wrong" and have no or minimal QTEs then what it is now.

Ridley_Prime
Yeah, I'm mixed on this. Could give this game a go, could pass on it... Still glad though Spider-Man got a game built from the ground-up even though there's no denying he had some great movie-licensed ones, but this could still have a bit more to it based on what was shown so far.

Kazenji
I'm on board with what Insomiac has done with the game, Might even be a day 1 buy.

-Pr-
I honestly think it looks fine. A lot of QTEs sure, but I imagine they're only doing that to make the game look intense or epic.

And in combat? The Arkham games are just heavily dressed up QTEs themselves, so I really don't mind the way it's portrayed here.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Kazenji
Unless of course your a big fan of Spider-Man.

Game looks solid to me. Hoping it works out. I haven't had fun with a Spidey game since Spider-Man 2(movie....dont remember which one) for PS2

Arachnid1
Pq02p3z3X2k

Pretty good trailer story focused, though it's starting to look like Mr. Negative is going to be the main villain in the game. I kind of hope not. I hope they're just showcasing the hell out of a specific act or villain. I like Mr. Negative but Spidey has much better villains in his gallery.

On the plus side, we got to see Shocker! His costume looks a little weird there. A helmet replaces the mask, there's spikes on the ends of his gauntlets, and he just looks more armored than usual (which kind of defeats the purpose of Shockers original outfit). Still, I always love me some Herman.

Arachnid1
I also forgot to mention Osborn as Mayor condemning Kingpin and praising Spidey (or Li, maybe?) for his bravery. That made me lol a little. I hope we get to take him down.

Arachnid1
_uyIp5C1N5M

The web swinging looks great. Also, we get a shot of the classic suit at 20 seconds, thank god. This new suit has grown on me but ill switch it out for classic ASAP.

BackFire
Also they're announcing the release date tomorrow. This game looks really fun, hope it doesn't disappoint.

Impediment
Looks like a load of fun and I’ll definitely be buying this title.

Arachnid1
The release date is September 7th

I was hoping for summer but thats not bad.

Arachnid1
Here's a link to the full gameinformer article for anyone that wants to give it a read
https://imgur.com/a/EFj6h

https://giant.gfycat.com/AntiqueOccasionalJavalina.gif

https://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-SiteFiles/imagefeed-featured-sony-insomniac-spider_2D00_man-gameplay-1/spidergignew3a.gif

https://www.gameinformer.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-SiteFiles/imagefeed-featured-sony-insomniac-spider_2D00_man-gameplay/spidergignew.gif

h3cGP773WXw

BackFire
The graphics in this game looks really impressive, especially for a game with large environments like this. I wonder if the game will actually look like that upon release or if we'll see another downgrade controversy.

Arachnid1
I don't think there will be any downgrade. They claim it will look great regardless of the console. The pro is in 4k and the PS4 is 1080p but other than that there apparently won't be any difference.

Also:
https://i.redd.it/lwfg5so9y1t01.jpg

Thank god. That was something I was actually worried about. The arc in the swings closer to the ground always looked off. Looks like they put a lot of thought into attachment points.

Kazenji
I don't think there will be any downgrade. They claim it will look great regardless of the console. The pro is in 4k and the PS4 is 1080p but other than that there apparently won't be any difference.

Good to know

that was one of the things with the Pro or Xbox one (Yes, I know this Spidey game isn't coming to that), They might do a exclusive game that only works on those newer consoles models glad that they haven't done that at this point.

Arachnid1

Estacado
Gameplay looks way more fluid then I expected finally you do feel like playing as Spider-Man!!!!

Arachnid1

BruceSkywalker
this games is going to freakin' rock.. i can't wait to play

Kazenji
Hope this game leads to more Marvel character's getting games, Would like to see a Thor & also a Iron Man game not that shite we got for movie tie in's

Khazra Reborn
This looks really cool, it seems like they built off of the Arkham series combat formula, and added a Spider-Man twist.

Estacado
I really like the tech suit for Scorpion and Rhino. Also there is new Shocker boss fight out.

Arachnid1
utVr-n0MaU0

There's a new trailer out. The original suit looks phenomenal.

Also, the third preorder suit has been shown. I love it with the exception of the eyes.
xoZarcuxuc4

BruceSkywalker
calling it right now.. this will become my all time fave game

-Pr-

Also:
https://i.redd.it/lwfg5so9y1t01.jpg

Thank god. That was something I was actually worried about. The arc in the swings closer to the ground always looked off. Looks like they put a lot of thought into attachment points.

Not quite Watch Dogs level stuff, but there's been a reported downgrade to the graphics.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spider-man-ps4-dev-responds-to-downgrade-claims/1100-6461509/

I don't buy the dev's reasoning myself, personally.

Trocity
Still not sure if I should pre-order deluxe edition or the regular game. The base game is apparently 20 hours long, so it'd be nice to have the DLC, but who knows if I will still be playing it by the time they all are out.

Kazenji
Folks are bitching about missing puddle in this game.....

-Pr-
It isn't JUST a puddle that's different, and saying that it is, is disingenuous. There are several differences in the compared screenshots.

Kazenji
Seriously doubt the actual game will end up shit just because of some puddle density and other things

Insomniac games are yet to put out a bad game thus far.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by -Pr-
Not quite Watch Dogs level stuff, but there's been a reported downgrade to the graphics.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spider-man-ps4-dev-responds-to-downgrade-claims/1100-6461509/

I don't buy the dev's reasoning myself, personally. Yeah I've been reading about this. There is a really obvious downgrade in some screenshots.

The game will still be phenomenal, and I've only got a base PS4 so it doesn't really matter to me, but I can understand others being annoyed.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Seriously doubt the actual game will end up shit just because of some puddle density and other things

Insomniac games are yet to put out a bad game thus far.

Nobody's saying it's going to be shit. They're complaining about false advertising of the graphics, which is a fair complaint imo.

It doesn't mean people won't buy the game. Hell, if I had a PS4 i'd get it.

Yeah I've been reading about this. There is a really obvious downgrade in some screenshots.

The game will still be phenomenal, and I've only got a base PS4 so it doesn't really matter to me, but I can understand others being annoyed.

Yeah, same.

Kazenji

The game will still be phenomenal, and I've only got a base PS4 so it doesn't really matter to me

Same here

i too have just the normal PS4.

Kazenji
So the first DLC planned involves Black Cat

fFkxpa1K9UU

Trocity
Companies releasing trailers for their later DLCs before the base game is even out. laughing out loud

The video game industry has certainly changed for the worse.

Kazenji
Maybe the base game is completely finished, So onto the DLC's.

Arachnid1
Alright guys, just a few more days. Consider avoiding all Spider-man related boards, twitch, and youtube to avoid spoilers until you beat the game. We're in the home stretch, so tough it out till Friday.

BruceSkywalker
im buying on Saturday and cant wait to play..

One Big Mob
Alright guys, just a few more days. Consider avoiding all Spider-man related boards, twitch, and youtube to avoid spoilers until you beat the game. We're in the home stretch, so tough it out till Friday. Spider-Man wins in the end and one of his most famous villains makes a surprise appearance. You would never suspect who if his most deadly villains weren't also hugely popular. His love interest may or may not die as well.

There's really not much a video game is going to do to Shocker anyone who was even mildly familiar with the character. I doubt we're getting anything comparable to Pete accidentally snapping Gwen's shit up instead of letting her splat, and that was from a mediocre movie. At least that's how I feel about it anyway.

The real joy is Spider-Manning through a city again. Story is hopefully decent Spider-Man quality.

Estacado
Scores are really good for this...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/marvels-spider-man

Kazenji
People really doubted Insomniac?.....smh.

Impediment
Trump Tower has been replaced in the game with the Rand Building (Danny Rand/Iron Fist). 🤣

steverules_2
I found Doctor Strange’s house.

Trocity
WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

This game is fun!!

RadZoa
Damn is this game going to be on Xbox or just PS4?

Impediment
PS4 exclusive.

RadZoa
Awww

Kazenji
Santa Monica Studio's congratulating Insomniac Games on this game and also one from Guerrilla

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/1038095223685967872?s=20

Impediment

Impediment
The game is amazing and well done. The cinematic scenes drive it home even more so.

I loved playing as MJ in the museum level being all stealthy and shit.

The one thing I dislike is the combat layout. I've been playing the Batman Arkham games since 2009 and I'm so accustomed to free flow combat that I'm having a hard time adapting. I need to practice more.

Impediment
The Taskmaster challenges are a bit tedious, especially on harder settings.

Impediment

Trocity
This game makes me want to replay the Arkham games lol. Can't wait for the DLC to start coming out.

Which suit is your fav aesthetically?

Arachnid1

Arachnid1
Just beat it. No spoilers, but jesus what an ending. They went all out like Rockstar on Arkham City. Absolutely phenomenal game, and amazing story. Time to go for the plat.

wakkawakkawakka
I just got the platinum for this game. I haven't had this much fun in aomw time with a video game. Way to go Insomniac.

steverules_2
Phuck the task master challenges, I did platinum the game but getting the high score on those task master challenges was a bittch

Impediment
I started NG+ on ultimate difficulty today and it's embarrassingly easy, even without all of the upgrades. Basic combat is just as easy and not much of a challenge. Now I'll just have to wait and see how hard to damn Silver Sable checkpoints are. I remember those being a little bit of a pain in my ass.

Kazenji
Hope that Black Cat DLC is good and has a decent length to it.

Arachnid1
This passed up Arkham City to become the highest grossing superhero game ever. Pretty crazy considering the fact that it's a PS4 exclusive and how short a time it's been since release.

https://www.dualshockers.com/marvels-spider-man-batman-arkham-city-best-selling-superhero-game/

NemeBro
It's not that crazy when you consider how much of a homo Penis Parker is.

Arachnid1
Holy sh*t, fkn fight me you knob slobber

cdtm

sLm1A2-Fr7s

PS1 Spidey was good.

-Pr-
Just got to play this today. I'm only a couple of hours in, but mixed reactions so far:

Originally posted by -Pr-
Looks gorgeous. Sounds gorgeous. Web-swinging is great. Combat is a bad, bad imitation of the Arkham games.

Smasandian
Yeah, I also had mixed reactions. I didn't think it was that great. I think it got a little boost from being an PS4 exclusive.

Combat is not that fun.....most activities are copied and pasted and it's not original at all. However, did nail web slinging though...I give them credit for that

BackFire
I think the combat is pretty good. But yes, definitely just an arkham knockoff.

And dead on about the sidequests, most aren't really worth doing.

Arachnid1
Meh, same combat system from Spider-man 2, which Arkham ripped off.

IMO it has a lot of room improvement, but its good.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I think the combat is pretty good. But yes, definitely just an arkham knockoff.

And dead on about the sidequests, most aren't really worth doing.

And they are the same...just with different enemies.

I see a checklist with unknown icons and I'm like..."ohhhhh, what can those be" and it's just the same....really disappointing.

ares834
Completely agree. The game was mediocre at best. I'm not the biggest fan of the Arkham games, but Spider-Man felt like an inferior version of them. Ultimately, it failed to keep my attention and I quit after like 6 hours and I have absolutely no intention of ever picking it up again.

cdtm
So like getting Pokemon Red over Pokemon Blue.

Don't those gimmicks look totally worth it for people that bought into the "GOTTA CATCH EM ALLLL", now that their entire misspent youth is getting kicked to the curb.

ares834
WTF are you talking about? How does that in anyway relate?

Kazenji
Cdtm does that, Goes on rants about things that don't relate at all.

cdtm

-Pr-
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, I also had mixed reactions. I didn't think it was that great. I think it got a little boost from being an PS4 exclusive.

Combat is not that fun.....most activities are copied and pasted and it's not original at all. However, did nail web slinging though...I give them credit for that

Once I figured out how to cheese the combat I didn't mind it so much. I mean, 90% of the bad guys can be beaten with triangle, then circle, then hold square and air combo them. Even brutes are a piece of piss once you get the wrecking ball ability. It's still not great, but knowing how to get around it resolves a lot of headaches. At least for me. And I do like the bullet-dodging mechanic at times.

And yeah, agreed too, side-quests are largely meh.

Meh, same combat system from Spider-man 2, which Arkham ripped off.

IMO it has a lot of room improvement, but its good.

Spider-Man 2 or Amazing Spider-Man 2? I mean, I see the argument, but even if you want to make it, Arkham still refined and damn-near perfected the system in a way no game has really matched since. Combat flows far more smoothly in Arkham, which it really shouldn't given how Spider-Man fights when compared to Batman.

And sure, you can say they've had three games to do it, but even in Asylum it was as smooth as anything.

==

I do feel like in a lot of ways, the game has good things going for it. It scratches that "be Spidey" itch to a fair extent. I particularly like the stealth "predator" sections. The web-swinging is great. The graphics and sound are pretty solid. Even the framerates are all right.

The combat though... Yeah. And the characters are butt-ugly in certain instances too, but that's more a personal aesthetic thing.

Smasandian
In no means is it a bad game. It can be fun, looks good and developed by talented people.
But it's an uninspired open world game with lazy activities.

I enjoyed the stealth areas but they are a direct copy of Arkham games....it didn't really add anything...which is disappointing for a game that was in top 10 lists that year.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Smasandian
In no means is it a bad game. It can be fun, looks good and developed by talented people.
But it's an uninspired open world game with lazy activities.

I enjoyed the stealth areas but they are a direct copy of Arkham games....it didn't really add anything...which is disappointing for a game that was in top 10 lists that year.

Yeah. I mean, I'm still playing it, and I fully intend to complete it, but I've finished each Arkham game at least three times. I can't see myself going back to this for at least a year or two, and by then there'll be other superhero games like Avengers etc.

Kazenji
I've also seen that the game itself is easy to get the Platinum trophy too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.