Rank the trinities

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
In overall teamwork, versatility, power brought to a no prep battle.

The JSA-Green Lantern, Flash, Wildcat
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5c/96/a9/5c96a98e820d224c0c2a0735c20af66a.jpg

The Avengers-Captain America, Iron Man, Thor
http://www.comic-images.com/data/media/7/George_Perez_-_Avengers_Big_3.jpg

The JLA-Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman
http://static4.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/6/68345/2227462-trinity.jpg

The Invaders-Captain America, Namor, Human Torch
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/07/d6/11/07d611a19b23d4c91057abcab2fbf117.jpg

The Legion of Super Heroes-Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b1/35/84/b1358479832ba8ea5bd18978a3bb548a.jpg

Cogito
I guess I'm slightly biased towards versatility over power

1a. Avengers (less powerful, more versatile)
1b. JLA (more powerful, less versatile)
2. JSA (power entirely due to Alan)
3. Legion
4. Invaders

jrodslam
Teamwork should be out the window imo. They all have it, even down to the Invaders.Legion potentialy could be a problem
1. JLA
2. JSA/Avengers/Legion*
3. Invaders

Namors badassery, puts Invaders #1 imo, but thats a personal preference.

leonidas
jla with a bullet
avengers firmly
jsa
legion/invaders distant 4th and 5th

abhilegend
1. Legion (**** it, Legion is always going to be the greatest team ever.)
2. Whatever team you like

leonidas
laughing out loud

Cogito
Originally posted by abhilegend
1. Legion (**** it, Legion is always going to be the greatest team ever.)

I feel like you're the only person who has ever thought that.

Personally I think they're fine. Totally indifferent about them.

Surtur
I think the most powerful trinity is the JLA, but when it comes to versatility I find it to be a toss up between the JSA/Avengers.

Galan007
The JLA Trinity should be at the top, imo. It is in their essential nature as characters to dominate ANY setting:

http://s31.postimg.org/62s5tzevf/Zp2_YQKD.jpg

-Pr-
thumb up

DarkSaint85
In that last panel, is that abhi?

abhilegend
Originally posted by Cogito
I feel like you're the only person who has ever thought that.

Personally I think they're fine. Totally indifferent about them.
Heresy.

Legion is the greatest team in history. Its in their title.

eek!

Cogito
Originally posted by Galan007
The JLA Trinity should be at the top, imo. It is in their essential nature as characters to dominate ANY setting:

No question, but in a context like this I think we need to remove the holy trinity's nexus-being status from the equation and take them just for their abilities.

Personally, I look at it and say I'd rather have the guy with the hammer that can do damn near anything over a trio with plot device power because I'm imagining a scenario where plot power has no effect.

/shrug

riv6672
Cogita, great responses, thanks for kicking things off so awesome. thumb up

celeyhyga17
JLA
Avengers

Rest

riv6672
^^^you and Gilligan.

SquallX
Originally posted by Cogito
No question, but in a context like this I think we need to remove the holy trinity's nexus-being status from the equation and take them just for their abilities.

Personally, I look at it and say I'd rather have the guy with the hammer that can do damn near anything over a trio with plot device power because I'm imagining a scenario where plot power has no effect.

/shrug

So you're automatically calling plot device to the JLA, yet completely fails to mention that Cap, Thor and IM are themselves riddled with the same plot device.

Supermex
Defenders # 1

Hulk
Dr.Strange
Namor

Cogito
Originally posted by SquallX
So you're automatically calling plot device to the JLA, yet completely fails to mention that Cap, Thor and IM are themselves riddled with the same plot device. What? That's not what I'm saying at all. In fact I'm doing the opposite - throwing that notion of plot power out entirely. confused

Blue Area Vet
Avengers Prime

Supermex
The Ultimates

Black Panther
Blue Marvel
Capt.Marvel

The X-Men

Cyclops
Jean Grey
Wolverine

The Inhumans

Black Bolt
Medusa
Karnak

riv6672
Thats nice.
Irrelevant but nice.
stick out tongue

Surtur
Cyclops, Wolverine, and Jean Grey will never work as a team. How can they? With all that sexual tension Cyclops and Wolverine will be making out with each other non-stop.

riv6672
^^^Damn...straight!

Surtur

JayDaDon
Cap Iron man and Thor is my favorite trinity. Each member is in some way a foil/complement to the others archetype.

JLA is a close second in my opinion but its almost entirely due to status. They're the 3 most popular DC heroes and that's the foundation of their relationship.

EcstaticGrace
Lol I didn't even know Wildcat was top 3 of the JSA.

jrodslam
Who else would be in his place?

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by jrodslam
Who else would be in his place?

Hawkman would be my guess,

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Cap Iron man and Thor is my favorite trinity. Each member is in some way a foil/complement to the others archetype.

JLA is a close second in my opinion but its almost entirely due to status. They're the 3 most popular DC heroes and that's the foundation of their relationship.

Very well put.

Digi

Fun scan, but ultimately a throwaway line. I'm ok agreeing with JLA as the #1, but in terms of automatically following someone's lead as soon as they step into a room, I think Cap actually gets the nod over Big Blue. The JLA trio has more collective leadership, though. Also, Alan's nature is more mentor than leader, but if he flies in, looks Kal in the eye, and tells him to do something, Superman is probably doing it.

Galan007
Originally posted by Digi
Fun scan, but ultimately a throwaway line. If that line in some way contradicted the Trinity's history, I might agree that we could just 'throw it away'. However, the trio have a WELL-established history of dominating their opponents as a collective... That page at least gives us a better reason why than the usual go-to for haters: "DC JUS LUVS 2 WANK DEM!!1!herpyderpy!1!!1!1!"

We now know they own their opposition in most settings because it is part of their fundamental nature as characters. Essentially, they win because they must at a metaphysical level. Kinda cool, imo.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
Fun scan, but ultimately a throwaway line. I'm ok agreeing with JLA as the #1, but in terms of automatically following someone's lead as soon as they step into a room, I think Cap actually gets the nod over Big Blue. The JLA trio has more collective leadership, though. Also, Alan's nature is more mentor than leader, but if he flies in, looks Kal in the eye, and tells him to do something, Superman is probably doing it.

Eh, I kind of agree and I don't at the same time. Superman isn't a leader like Cap is. Or Cyclops. Or even Nightwing or Batman.

The best way I can describe it is what Flash says about Superman in the episode of JLU when Superman apparently dies. There's a collective relief in just having him around, that it inspires the people around him to do better, and they trust that they can try their best and fail, because Superman will always be there to take up the slack.

Also what Galan said.

JayDaDon
One of the things i liked about AOU is the trinity aspect was played up alot. I'm atleast thankful they were mindful of it in BVS as well

SSJGGogeta
In terms of power, the JLA trinity takes this by a mile. Then it's probably about a tie between the avengers and the JSA. Don't really care about the other two.

But Idk why no one is putting the JSA at #1, in terms of versatility. With Alan scott's wide array of GL abilities, Jay's control over the speed force and all the abilities that entails, as well as Wildcat's cunning and leadership? I'd definitely give versatility to the JSA, then put the JLA at #2, because you know, Superman, and then the Avengers, and the rest.

8swords
The Good (Cap) the Bad (Logan) and the ugly (Deadpool) laughing out loud

riv6672
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Yeah, their popularity got them together (as in editorial, always wanting them included in line ups) but the writers made the relationship really click.

JayDaDon
Yeah they did work a lot on DC's trinity and fleshed it out well, but the main thing for me is we all know the real reason they are the trinity is because they're the 3 most worldwide known heroes of DC. Everything else is gravy. With the avengers the years and stories passed by to the point where the 3 greatest were just undeniable. And its totally in universe not having much of anything to do with mainstream popularity(atleast until the movies came along).

riv6672
^^^I agree.

Digi
If that line in some way contradicted the Trinity's history, I might agree that we could just 'throw it away'. However, the trio have a WELL-established history of dominating their opponents as a collective... That page at least gives us a better reason why than the usual go-to for haters: "DC JUS LUVS 2 WANK DEM!!1!herpyderpy!1!!1!1!"

We now know they own their opposition in most settings because it is part of their fundamental nature as characters. Essentially, they win because they must at a metaphysical level. Kinda cool, imo.

Or they have strong personalities and leadership qualities. You're taking it to Morrison-level metapowers, which is fun. But simpler explanations also suffice. You may just be reading too much into that line. His words are truthful, but they may simply be colloquial, and don't necessarily imbue some metatextual aura.

Originally posted by -Pr-
Eh, I kind of agree and I don't at the same time. Superman isn't a leader like Cap is. Or Cyclops. Or even Nightwing or Batman.

The best way I can describe it is what Flash says about Superman in the episode of JLU when Superman apparently dies. There's a collective relief in just having him around, that it inspires the people around him to do better, and they trust that they can try their best and fail, because Superman will always be there to take up the slack.

Also what Galan said.

I think the same could be said of Cap. Take his appearance in Maximum Carnage. The relief in ALL the characters, particularly Pete, is palpable. The entire tone of the comic shifts from just his presence.

And the Alan thing wasn't saying he's a better leader. Just that it would be conceivable for Kal to defer to him. There aren't many characters that could convincingly "son" Superman, but Pre-FP Alan is one of them.

I did say the JLA trio are the best collective leaders. So really, we're splitting hairs here.

riv6672
^^^Yeah, its pretty much arguing (conceptual) semantics.

Nice use of Cap's Maximum Carnage appearance, Digi. That doesnt get mentioned nearly enough.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.