Spiderman vs The Thing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ozz81
who wins?

Digi
Pete could wear him down, but it's been established that Ben can thunderclap with sufficient force. T-claps have notoriously given Spidey problems, so a few of those + Clobberin' Time = a Thing win. Depending on the setting (city, or other densely packed area), Pete might steal some wins. But it's Thing's to lose.

Shabazz916
Spider Man can find away to beat him.

golem370
I don't see Spider-Man producing enough damage for a win Thing is smart fighter I think like Digi said it is Ben's fight to lose.

Digi
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Spider Man can find away to beat him.

Can and Will are two different things. I made Spidey's first (and 2nd) respect thread on KMC. If I have a horse in this race, it's Pete.

Take T-claps away and I'm team Spidey in this thread, hands down. But Ben has a handful of sizable t-clap feats and they do mess with Pete. In a comic, it would look dumb, so Spidey could win some. On the forums, chaining t-claps is a valid strategy. Once Thing figures it out, this is over.

Facee
Would Thing even feel a punch from Spidey?

Digi
Originally posted by Facee

One punch, not really. But if he, say, uses web leverage to smash multiple cars onto Thing's dome, he doesn't need to bloody his knuckles. Minus T-clap, Thing never touches Spidey. Like, never. So it might take a while, but Spidey could chip away at him.

In a featureless environment, he'd have a harder time and might not be able to put Thing down. But again, without AoE, Pete wouldn't be touched unless he wanted to be. Thing would be in slow motion to him the whole time.

Facee
Originally posted by Digi
One punch, not really. But if he, say, uses web leverage to smash multiple cars onto Thing's dome, he doesn't need to bloody his knuckles. Minus T-clap, Thing never touches Spidey. Like, never. So it might take a while, but Spidey could chip away at him.

In a featureless environment, he'd have a harder time and might not be able to put Thing down. But again, without AoE, Pete wouldn't be touched unless he wanted to be. Thing would be in slow motion to him the whole time.

How strong is Spideys webbing ? Could he pull the Empire Strikes Back trick and web around Things legs making him imobil

Digi
How strong is Spideys webbing ? Could he pull the Empire Strikes Back trick and web around Things legs making him imobil

No. Now, he COULD slow him down. And there's that Blob feat where he gets one of his cartridges to explode, encasing and immobilizing Blob. But it's also been broken out of plenty of times (albeit in lesser quantities than the Blob feat). Not sure if that trick would work on Thing or not. So, imo, it's an annoyance for Thing. But not something that's going to stop him.

Facee
I've seen Thing get taken out with high levels of electrical current. Maybe Spidey can think of something.

DarkSaint85
Only way I see Pete winning is shoving a cartridge in Ben's mouth, choking him

golem370
They fought a bit during the Goddess storyline.

Flyattractor
Spidey could get a inmobilization with webbing but him just trying to punch Thing out should be a Not a Chance in Hell. Using the environment and webbing are Spidey's best shots at winning. Thing going all out bloodlusted should be a beast for a Spider Level to take on straight.

golem370
Thing vs She Hulk showed him using his environment and same against Hulk using a massive dump truck running into Hulk.

StiltmanFTW

Parker hurt even an amped Thing.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Parker hurt even an amped Thing.

Did Peter call him names or something?

StiltmanFTW
No, just punched him in the face repeatedly.

Same thing he'll do to you.

Flyattractor
But I am so cute and loveable!?

h1a8
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Spidey could get a inmobilization with webbing but him just trying to punch Thing out should be a Not a Chance in Hell. Using the environment and webbing are Spidey's best shots at winning. Thing going all out bloodlusted should be a beast for a Spider Level to take on straight. Spider-Man can easily hurt Thing with punches and kicks when he is at his best. I wouldn't say Thing is more durable than Iron Man or even Thor. If a human (with MA training) can strike through many layers on concrete slab (or through a brick) then someone who is more than 100x stronger should be able to bust through something 100x more durable.

Anyway, Spidey can Web his own ear drums as a defense against Tclaps. Or use webbing to stop a Tclaps. Or simply blur behind Thing when he attempts a Tclaps. Or create a Web shield in defense of Tclaps. Spidey can slam Thing into the ground repeatedly after webbing him.

Stoic
Spiderman wins this just like he would beat Colosus. Petey has the speed, and could web his hands up to form padding as he used to do very often in the past. His spider sense would keep him out of harms way, and he'd wear Ben out over time. Strenght isn't everything.

zopzop
Spiderman was about to KO Masterson Thor till he cut loose with an AoE attack (that Spiderman dodged anyway). He's KOed Firelord. He's KOed Hulk.

Spiderman wins the majority.

TheHulk
Are people serious? Things wins a good majority laughing out loud

Sin I AM
For some reason Peter is untouchableb on this board. It's beem that way since civil war

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by TheHulk
Are people serious? Things wins a good majority laughing out loud

Thing has a rather poor track record against Parker.

Delta1938
Originally posted by h1a8
Spider-Man can easily hurt Thing with punches and kicks when he is at his best. I wouldn't say Thing is more durable than Iron Man or even Thor. If a human (with MA training) can strike through many layers on concrete slab (or through a brick) then someone who is more than 100x stronger should be able to bust through something 100x more durable.

blink You usually dismiss that sort of thing as "PIS" and pretend it doesn't exist.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Delta1938
blink You usually dismiss that sort of thing as "PIS" and pretend it doesn't exist.

He's a Spider-Man fanboy, so obviously he's doing an exception here.

Surtur

I thought he could slug it out with Class 100's? I don't see why smashing some cars on Thing would even bother him at all?

leonidas
i don' think it's impossible for spidey to take a couple in a city setting and an environment conducive to him. in a standard forum-style ring he has basically no shot. he'd need tons of room to manoeuver and some props to play with (cars etc...). he gets shockwaved every time in a ring.

StiltmanFTW
Web spam ftw... shifty

Sin I AM
He's a Spider-Man fanboy, so obviously he's doing an exception here.

I would love to see Spiderman "slug it out" with someone. Has this ever happened? No dancing or acrobatics just straight brawl

leonidas
he's tried once with hulk, beat his hands bloody. he slugged it out with morlun for a bit but that didn't go well either.... he can hurt guys but he's not winning slufests with guys like ben or above. he couldn't even ko logan and he beat on him for a long time.

golem370
Didn't he also go toe to toe with BT

leonidas
yeah, but even that didn't end well for him.....

Flyattractor
I recall that time He let JJJ wail on him and he got all brused and bloodied up by Jonah.

StiltmanFTW
Lol. It happened, yes.

Flyattractor
Triple J needs his own comic.

Surtur
I forgot that one time in a comic Spiderman defeated Firelord. So Spider-Man wins.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by leonidas
he's tried once with hulk, beat his hands bloody. he slugged it out with morlun for a bit but that didn't go well either.... he can hurt guys but he's not winning slufests with guys like ben or above. he couldn't even ko logan and he beat on him for a long time.

I remember those. Especially the Morlun fight. He needed plot help iirc. Makes you wonder how good is his blunt force durability

Zack M
Thing.

Surtur
Originally posted by Zack M
Thing.

Spidey beat a herald of galactus though, it happened in a comic.

DTM
Im going with Thing to win as well. Dont think Spider-Man cant possibly beat Thing, but I do think Ben would beat Peter much more than not in the end.

leonidas
Originally posted by Sin I AM
I remember those. Especially the Morlun fight. He needed plot help iirc. Makes you wonder how good is his blunt force durability

tbf, he did comment that morlun hit harder than thor did..... and pete took a beating in that fight. black tarantula also put a beating on him during their initial tussle. pete has taken some savage beatings in comics, but he usually comes back pretty well. his own willpower is pretty beastly. often overlooked but i wouldn't put it too far from the top in the marvel hierarchy of will power.

DarkSaint85
If only there was a thread comparing how much heart Spidey had, vs Thing...

leonidas
lol

h1a8
blink You usually dismiss that sort of thing as "PIS" and pretend it doesn't exist. Spidey shouldn't be strong enough to hurt Thor (maybe sting him though) but he's definitely strong enough to damage IM and Thing. He has MA training which amplifies his striking power. Colossus is more durable than Thing (he's harder).

Digi
Colossus is more durable than Thing (he's harder).

lol, harder. #humor

But yeah, Spidey could hurt him. He's done enough to prove that much, though it would take time to do lasting damage.

I enjoy the SM defenses here in this thread. I really do. So I have a question: Do you guys have an answer for Thing chaining thunderclaps? Even a single good one at melee range would knock Pete on his ass, at which point a solid shot or two would be enough to turn the tide for Thing. I don't have the scans myself, but I've seen Thing do it more than once. I'm happy to defect to Spidey in this thread if someone can reconcile that for me. It's a cheap tactic, but a viable one.

DarkSaint85
Jumping behind Thing.

There you go. Close range would be even easier for Spidey. T claps are pretty unidirectional.

Digi
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Jumping behind Thing.

There you go. Close range would be even easier for Spidey. T claps are pretty unidirectional.

Their depiction in comics tends to be much more AoE though, from what I've seen...like an omnidirectional shockwave instead of a directional attack. Professor Hulk all but KOd Spidey with one, and he was a pretty good Thing analogue. I understand Pete can play tag with melee attacks indefinitely, but the margin of error is MUCH slimmer when talking about indefinitely avoiding t-claps.

DarkSaint85
He only needs to shove his capsule full of sticky white liquid into Ben's mouth, then uppercut him. Causing it to explode all over him and in his mouth.

Ben, unable to handle all of it, would suffocate as it dribbles down his chin onto his chest.

Last t clap I saw was Cage against Victoria Hand. That was unidirectional. But I can see it being AoE.

Digi
He only needs to shove his capsule full of sticky white liquid into Ben's mouth, then uppercut him. Causing it to explode all over him and in his mouth.

Ben, unable to handle all of it, would suffocate as it dribbles down his chin onto his chest.

Yup. It's bedtime.

Flyattractor
Yup. It's bedtime.

I hope DS85 dies in his sticky bed sheets.

StiltmanFTW
Remember that old TASM book in which it was stated that a single string of Parker's web can incapacitate the Thing?

"Bullshit", you can say, but the fact remains that Peter has dominated Ben in almost every encounter.

Flyattractor
Remember that old TASM book in which it was stated that a single string of Parker's web can incapacitate the Thing?

"Bullshit", you can say, but the fact remains that Peter has dominated Ben in almost every encounter.

You and your sexy talk Stilts.......

StiltmanFTW
wink

SamZED
Would Thing even feel a punch from Spidey? I don't have the scan atm but there's a fairly recent comicbook where Pete visibly hurt Ben with a punch. Small bits of rocks flying off and everything. Ben was even holding his jaw afterwards.

StiltmanFTW
Under Slott, yeah.

For a comparison, Jobber of the Century Wrecker was happy just to pull out a chunk of Thing's hide...

Delta1938
Spidey shouldn't be strong enough to hurt Thor (maybe sting him though) but he's definitely strong enough to damage IM and Thing. He has MA training which amplifies his striking power. Colossus is more durable than Thing (he's harder).

umm.....

If a human (with MA training) can strike through many layers on concrete slab (or through a brick) then someone who is more than 100x stronger should be able to bust through something 100x more durable.

If that's where you're getting your argument, you don't understand what you're talking about.

TheHulk
Thing has a rather poor track record against Parker. Regardless, i shall follow both logic and instincts. Spidey cannot beat a character that is waaaaay above his class range and a character that has fought and take regular hits from top tier characters like Hulk and Thor.

Anything else like Firestorm is PIS, why? BECAUSE I SAY SO mad

leonidas
lol, harder. #humor

But yeah, Spidey could hurt him. He's done enough to prove that much, though it would take time to do lasting damage.

I enjoy the SM defenses here in this thread. I really do. So I have a question: Do you guys have an answer for Thing chaining thunderclaps? Even a single good one at melee range would knock Pete on his ass, at which point a solid shot or two would be enough to turn the tide for Thing. I don't have the scans myself, but I've seen Thing do it more than once. I'm happy to defect to Spidey in this thread if someone can reconcile that for me. It's a cheap tactic, but a viable one.

this is why i think he needs a city setting to have a real chance here. imo pete would know the t-clap is thing's best bet so he'd play keep away. he could use webs from a distance to prevent constant t-claps then sneak in, land some haymakers, or just web-throw car after car at him wearing him down. it would be guerrilla warfare on pete's end, but i could see him netting some wins in that type of scenario, but it wouldn't be easy....

in a ring you're right, he has no real chance.

Surtur
If only there was a thread comparing how much heart Spidey had, vs Thing...

Jokes on you, Things rock-like heart is much larger than Spider-Mans.

StiltmanFTW
Anything else like Firestorm is PIS, why? BECAUSE I SAY SO mad

Firestorm is from DC, you noob stick out tongue

Digi
Originally posted by leonidas
this is why i think he needs a city setting to have a real chance here. imo pete would know the t-clap is thing's best bet so he'd play keep away. he could use webs from a distance to prevent constant t-claps then sneak in, land some haymakers, or just web-throw car after car at him wearing him down. it would be guerrilla warfare on pete's end, but i could see him netting some wins in that type of scenario, but it wouldn't be easy....

in a ring you're right, he has no real chance.

Fair enough. I can agree with this. I don't think DS's scenario works, though, bc it has Pete staying in close range, which brings with it a much higher chance of failure.

leonidas
well, of course it had no chance. have you met ds...?

Digi
thumb up

DarkSaint85
Who said mine was a fight scenario.....

Digi
haermm no expression

That particular fanfic is not approved head canon.

h1a8
umm.....

If that's where you're getting your argument, you don't understand what you're talking about. No, that reinforces my argument. Spider-Man has hurt many beings MORE durable than Thing. Adding in science then my argument is backed by both comics and science.

Spidey can really put a hurting on Thing. It would just take about 20 or more hits. Slamming Thing into the ground is a viable option too.
Spidey can avoid Tclaps with Web shields, blinking behind Thing when he attempts a Tclap.

Spidey wins 10/10.

Last thing. Which has more kinetic energy, a 400lb football player hitting you at 10mph or a 200lb player hitting you at 20mph? The smaller (but faster player) hits with 2x more kinetic energy.

DarkSaint85
But Thing doesn't punch at half the speed....he has pretty strong punches himself

How does one punch hard, but slow?

Delta1938
No, that reinforces my argument. Spider-Man has hurt many beings MORE durable than Thing. Adding in science then my argument is backed by both comics and science.

Spidey can really put a hurting on Thing. It would just take about 20 or more hits. Slamming Thing into the ground is a viable option too.
Spidey can avoid Tclaps with Web shields, blinking behind Thing when he attempts a Tclap.

Spidey wins 10/10.

Last thing. Which has more kinetic energy, a 400lb football player hitting you at 10mph or a 200lb player hitting you at 20mph? The smaller (but faster player) hits with 2x more kinetic energy.

Actually, according to this, adding science shows you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/how-do-martial-artists-br_b_6879850.html

And on the Superman vs Namor/Hercules topic, you dismiss Namor's pretty consistent history of slugging it out with various Top-Tier bricks as PIS, because of feats you cite that are on a level much higher than Spider-Man.

Yet you're arguing that Spider-Man's examples of hurting opponents on Thing's level or higher count 'cuz they happened.

h1a8
Actually, according to this, adding science shows you don't know what the **** you're talking about.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/how-do-martial-artists-br_b_6879850.html

And on the Superman vs Namor/Hercules topic, you dismiss Namor's pretty consistent history of slugging it out with various Top-Tier bricks as PIS, because of feats you cite that are on a level much higher than Spider-Man.

Yet you're arguing that Spider-Man's examples of hurting opponents on Thing's level or higher count 'cuz they happened.

My post implied that the slabs are not as hard as solid think brick (or stone). That's why I said someone more than 100x stronger should break a material 100x more durable (stone?) . Solid stone should be less than 100x stronger. Thing's durability is analogous to solid stone I would say. Spidey has smashed through steel before and easily snapped iron chains.

I don't think it's PIS that Namor can hang with Hercules and Hulk. I just think Hercules is around Namors level. In general, these guys operate at around 100tons on average when fighting each other. When performing space cheese feats they obviously operate higher. That's why Thing (a true 100 ton being) can hang with them as well and have 0 space cheese feats (because he is always fixed at 100 tons).

Thing is about as strong as he is durable (balanced). Spider-Man is roughly 1/4th the strength as Thing with MA ability. He should easily damage Thing per hit. Thing is not Hulk, Thor, Colossus, etc. He is less durable than those guys.

All of this is moot. You are nitpicking. Let's get on with the debate. Do you think Spider-Man can damage Thing with a very serious punch when operating at his best?

StiltmanFTW
http://sjfloats.tripod.com/cita.jpg

They come in your size, h1.

h1a8
But Thing doesn't punch at half the speed....he has pretty strong punches himself

How does one punch hard, but slow?

Thing punches much faster than a human, just less as fast as Spider-Man.

Sin I AM
Does Thing have any good showings in (and for that matter any member of the f4 ) in the last decade?

StiltmanFTW
Reed (science stuff) and Sue, yeah.

Ben and Johnny, not so much.

Delta1938
My post implied that the slabs are not as hard as solid think brick (or stone). That's why I said someone more than 100x stronger should break a material 100x more durable (stone?) . Solid stone should be less than 100x stronger. Thing's durability is analogous to solid stone I would say. Spidey has smashed through steel before and easily snapped iron chains.

I don't think it's PIS that Namor can hang with Hercules and Hulk. I just think Hercules is around Namors level. In general, these guys operate at around 100tons on average when fighting each other. When performing space cheese feats they obviously operate higher. That's why Thing (a true 100 ton being) can hang with them as well and have 0 space cheese feats (because he is always fixed at 100 tons).

Thing is about as strong as he is durable (balanced). Spider-Man is roughly 1/4th the strength as Thing with MA ability. He should easily damage Thing per hit. Thing is not Hulk, Thor, Colossus, etc. He is less durable than those guys.

All of this is moot. You are nitpicking. Let's get on with the debate. Do you think Spider-Man can damage Thing with a very serious punch when operating at his best?

That's an excellent mental gymnastics routine.

You're basically making it up as you go along. Science shows that Martial Artists breaking stuff doesn't work the way you think it does. They're not getting their blows enhanced, it's the spot they're hitting it doesn't require nearly as much force as you'd think, and there's a trick to breaking multiple blocks stacked that doesn't transfer here.

Also, Thing has taken RPG fire, a lot better than chains, I would imagine steel(although I haven't seen the exact scene).

This is why I usually just scroll past your comments.

Sin I AM
Reed (science stuff) and Sue, yeah.

Ben and Johnny, not so much.

Which sucks. They are the more aggressive members

h1a8
That's an excellent mental gymnastics routine.

You're basically making it up as you go along. Science shows that Martial Artists breaking stuff doesn't work the way you think it does. They're not getting their blows enhanced, it's the spot they're hitting it doesn't require nearly as much force as you'd think, and there's a trick to breaking multiple blocks stacked that doesn't transfer here.

Also, Thing has taken RPG fire, a lot better than chains, I would imagine steel(although I haven't seen the exact scene).

This is why I usually just scroll past your comments.

What are you talking about? I'm not just referring to skill. But common sense. Skill is irrelevant. Again, if someone can break something then being more than 100x stronger they can break something 100x more durable. How is what you are saying have to do with that?
Thing is not more durable than solid steel.
Logan was able to hurt him with a adamantium kick (had adamantium skeleton). Spider-Man has bust through solid steel too.

I would say Thing is as durable as granite or strong rock. Bullet proof since his hide is very thick but able to be damaged by someone of Spidey's strength level.

Lastly it would definitely take more than 20 hits to take Things down. But Spider-Man would chip away and get it done.

Surtur
Lol what are you talking about? Thing is far more durable than granite. I don't even..what? If he had the durability of granite Hulk would of rendered him into tiny pebbles a long time ago.

StiltmanFTW
Logan was able to hurt him with a adamantium kick (had adamantium skeleton).

Ultimate Universe.

As always, you have no clue about this stuff we discuss here.

h1a8
Originally posted by Surtur
Lol what are you talking about? Thing is far more durable than granite. his thickness contributes to his durabilty. What feats suggest that he is FAR more durable than granite considering his thickness?

h1a8
Lol what are you talking about? Thing is far more durable than granite. I don't even..what? If he had the durability of granite Hulk would of rendered him into tiny pebbles a long time ago. bad logic. That's not how comics work. You can't Guage durability in quantifiable terms based off who struck him. Too many factors

For example,
Character's operate at different levels when fighting someone (plot based). Humans and lower beings have withstood (without dying) against beings much more powerful. Spider-Man is not bullet proof but shrugged off hits from the same beings. Does that make him more durable than granite?

In comic book fights, science is thrown out. A character can be literally thousands of times stronger and hit the weaker without killing or koing them.

Surtur
That logic seems just as faulty.

Sin I AM
What are you talking about? I'm not just referring to skill. But common sense. Skill is irrelevant. Again, if someone can break something then being more than 100x stronger they can break something 100x more durable. How is what you are saying have to do with that?
Logan was able to hurt him with a adamantium kick (had adamantium skeleton). Spider-Man has bust through solid steel too.

I would say Thing is as durable as granite or strong rock. Bullet proof since his hide is very thick but able to be damaged by someone of Spidey's strength level.

Lastly it would definitely take more than 20 hits to take Things down. But Spider-Man would chip away and get it done.

Do you do drugs?

StiltmanFTW

Careful here, h1math might give you a stroke. Better avoid him.

Delta1938

So you bring-up people breaking concrete blocks and that Martial Arts "enhances strikes" as.....completely unrelated examples?

And you're really bad at this. Breaking that shit looks more impressive than it actually is, and I gave a link explaining the science behind it. It hardly if at all transfers to pulling the same thing off in a fight, assuming the same thing actually applies to Thing. And didn't Bruce Lee say "Boards don't hit back?"

Your argument about what you're arguing Thing's durability is would mean he'd be ****ed the time he's been hit with RPGs since they take out tanks and armored vehicles.

And boy am I wondering why you're arguing this considering what you say later.

Ultimate Universe.

As always, you have no clue about this stuff we discuss here.

So yet another example that H1 doesn't read comics?

bad logic. That's not how comics work. You can't Guage durability in quantifiable terms based off who struck him. Too many factors

For example,
Character's operate at different levels when fighting someone (plot based). Humans and lower beings have withstood (without dying) against beings much more powerful. Spider-Man is not bullet proof but shrugged off hits from the same beings. Does that make him more durable than granite?

In comic book fights, science is thrown out. A character can be literally thousands of times stronger and hit the weaker without killing or koing them.

The ****? You're contradicting yourself. By your argument, Spider-Man having broken steel is irrelevant.

StiltmanFTW

Yeah. Not that we needed more proof.

My favourite one is when he went apeshit after I told him that Green Goblin didn't even have his powerset established on the beginning of his career. Such a Spider-Man fan, not even familiar with one of his main villains. Smh...

h1a8
So you bring-up people breaking concrete blocks and that Martial Arts "enhances strikes" as.....completely unrelated examples?

And you're really bad at this. Breaking that shit looks more impressive than it actually is, and I gave a link explaining the science behind it. It hardly if at all transfers to pulling the same thing off in a fight, assuming the same thing actually applies to Thing. And didn't Bruce Lee say "Boards don't hit back?"

Your argument about what you're arguing Thing's durability is would mean he'd be ****ed the time he's been hit with RPGs since they take out tanks and armored vehicles.

And boy am I wondering why you're arguing this considering what you say later.

The ****? You're contradicting yourself. By your argument, Spider-Man having broken steel is irrelevant.

Yes, but that has nothing to do with the debate. You are nitpicking on something that contributes nothing to the debate. A normal human can't break those slabs. You have to have some skill involved.

But that's irrelevant. You are derailing the thread. My argument is that Spider-man can break something more than 100x more durable than what a human can break. This implies he can damage Thing. If you disagree then address that argument, not the irrelevant one about MA actually break slabs.
If someone argues 2 points where each can stand on its own and someone else attacks one of the points (but not the other) then their argument still stands as proof. Nitpicking doesn't destroy an argument, it derails it.

RPGs can't take out tanks at all. Where are you getting this from? They do squat shit to tanks.
They can take out very small armored vehicles though.
Show this feat where Thing tanks a RPG with a scan or give an issue number.

h1a8
Yeah. Not that we needed more proof.

My favourite one is when he went apeshit after I told him that Green Goblin didn't even have his powerset established on the beginning of his career. Such a Spider-Man fan, not even familiar with one of his main villains. Smh... Wrong person. You confusing me with someone else.

StiltmanFTW
Stop lying, h1.

Also, BS. Goblin has metahuman stats since his creation. Just read his first appearance.

laughing out loud

h1a8
Stop lying, h1.

laughing out loud my bad, I misread your post. I thought you said I argued that he didn't have his power set established.
I still believe he was always meta human since creation. If you disagree then just prove me wrong. I'll admit I'm wrong if you do that. It's no big deal.

StiltmanFTW
There was not even a subtle hint about him having enhanced stats back then.

Hell, when Norman started his supervillain career, he didn't even have his trademark glider. Used a flying broomstick instead.

h1a8
There was not even a subtle hint about him having enhanced stats back then.

Hell, when Norman started his supervillain career, he didn't even have his trademark glider. Used a flying broomstick instead. We have no idea what was in the writer's head back then. It's possible that the writer could have wanted him with at least low level superhuman strength and stats when he first wrote him. We simply don't know. Comics are canon anyway. So at least, by retcon, Goblin always had the stats.

h1a8

Of course it is. Comics often used faulty logic. That's why characters have contradictory low showings. You can prove that Thor > Thor with comic logic.

TheHulk
Firestorm is from DC, you noob stick out tongue miffed Sorry Firelord....

StiltmanFTW
miffed Sorry Firelord....

There was also Firestar, a few Firebrands and perhaps a dozen other characters with "Fire" in their names haermm

It's normal to confuse those names, but NEVER confuse Great Marvel Characters with stinking shit DC ones.

psycho gundam
Thing stomps

h1a8
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Thing stomps

How? With a TC? Because there is no way Thing is hitting Spidey?

Digi
How? With a TC?

Yes.

Leo and I already walked through most of this. With a dense setting (probably city), intelligent use of web shields and hit & run tactics, Parker could wear down Thing. But he can't stay anywhere near melee range for more than a heartbeat or a T-clap is basically a dealbreaker. So then it becomes a cat & mouse game. In more barren or close-quarter settings, I think it nears or reaches 10/10 for Thing. But based on the locale and the resources available to Pete, he could close the gap and pull some wins.

Take t-claps away and this is an entirely different fight. I'd be entirely team Spidey in that case. But that would be disingenuous.

h1a8
Yes.

Leo and I already walked through most of this. With a dense setting (probably city), intelligent use of web shields and hit & run tactics, Parker could wear down Thing. But he can't stay anywhere near melee range for more than a heartbeat or a T-clap is basically a dealbreaker. So then it becomes a cat & mouse game. In more barren or close-quarter settings, I think it nears or reaches 10/10 for Thing. But based on the locale and the resources available to Pete, he could close the gap and pull some wins.

Take t-claps away and this is an entirely different fight. I'd be entirely team Spidey in that case. But that would be disingenuous.

Oh ok, well I argued a way for Spidey to get around TCs (in several posts very early in the thread).
1. Web shields.
2. Blur behind Thing before when he starts his motion to TC. Spidey will be dancing around Thing anyway from close distance, popping him from all angles. TCs only work from the front of the clapper, not from the back.

Another way Spidey can attack is to web Thing and sling slam him into the ground Or just grab his leg and slam him unto the ground repeatedly. Thing shouldn't drawn a mustache on Mary Jane's picture and laughed about it.

StiltmanFTW
Honestly, has any brick actually done a t-clap spam in comics?

They clap once and that's it. Sure, msg boards battles may be a bit different, but they really shouldn't be.

TheHulk
There was also Firestar, a few Firebrands and perhaps a dozen other characters with "Fire" in their names haermm

It's normal to confuse those names, but NEVER confuse Great Marvel Characters with stinking shit DC ones. Firestorm>Firelord roll eyes (sarcastic)

But agreed..too much fire laughing out loud

StiltmanFTW
We have no idea what was in the writer's head back then. It's possible that the writer could have wanted him with at least low level superhuman strength and stats when he first wrote him. We simply don't know. Comics are canon anyway. So at least, by retcon, Goblin always had the stats.

We do know because we got detailed villain profiles as extras at the end of one TASM issue.

Just admit already you haven't read much Spider-Man.

Delta1938
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the debate. You are nitpicking on something that contributes nothing to the debate. A normal human can't break those slabs. You have to have some skill involved.

But that's irrelevant. You are derailing the thread. My argument is that Spider-man can break something more than 100x more durable than what a human can break. This implies he can damage Thing. If you disagree then address that argument, not the irrelevant one about MA actually break slabs.
If someone argues 2 points where each can stand on its own and someone else attacks one of the points (but not the other) then their argument still stands as proof. Nitpicking doesn't destroy an argument, it derails it.

RPGs can't take out tanks at all. Where are you getting this from? They do squat shit to tanks.
They can take out very small armored vehicles though.
Show this feat where Thing tanks a RPG with a scan or give an issue number.

It has everything to do with it, because your argument isn't even based on science(as science shows it's not nearly as impressive as it works and common sense says breaking them doesn't apply to a fight).

Already covered. Your argument is dumb and shouldn't have been made. But I find it ironic you would complain about my nitpicking and then nitpick the Hell out of my scans in another topic. laughing

Maybe you have a different meaning, but RPGs were made for fighting tanks. erm I think you're thinking of the fact that armor(both armored vehicles/tanks and body armor) and weapons have always been in a one-up since we started shooting each other.

Don't remember where, but it's rich that you of all people would demand a scan or issue reference when you never provide any evidence.

h1a8
It has everything to do with it, because your argument isn't even based on science(as science shows it's not nearly as impressive as it works and common sense says breaking them doesn't apply to a fight).

Already covered. Your argument is dumb and shouldn't have been made. But I find it ironic you would complain about my nitpicking and then nitpick the Hell out of my scans in another topic. laughing

Maybe you have a different meaning, but RPGs were made for fighting tanks. erm I think you're thinking of the fact that armor(both armored vehicles/tanks and body armor) and weapons have always been in a one-up since we started shooting each other.

Don't remember where, but it's rich that you of all people would demand a scan or issue reference when you never provide any evidence.

I seen a lot of videos where RPG didn't do squat shit to tanks.
Maybe these were major tanks, idk?
I don't even remember the arguments here anymore.

All I know is that Spidey can indeed hurt Thing if he's serious enough. If you want to use Thing's best feats then Spidey's best feats are over 100 tons.

Delta1938

All I know is that Spidey can indeed hurt Thing if he's serious enough. If you want to use Thing's best feats then Spidey's best feats are over 100 tons.

I already covered it. Armor and anti-armor weapons are constantly evolving. The RPGs most commonly used today were a lot more effective at the time, then we made better armor, now the Russians have made a new generation that looks like it'd **** up our tanks.

If you don't remember, go back through. You seem to have a habit of not familiarizing yourself with revived topics. Not even reading the OP!! eek!

By your arguments everywhere else, fights are irrelevant because the characters aren't always fighting to their best with their full strength and Spidey's feats being that are PIS, therefore you're contradicting your argument with just about any other character.

h1a8
I already covered it. Armor and anti-armor weapons are constantly evolving. The RPGs most commonly used today were a lot more effective at the time, then we made better armor, now the Russians have made a new generation that looks like it'd **** up our tanks.

If you don't remember, go back through. You seem to have a habit of not familiarizing yourself with revived topics. Not even reading the OP!! eek!

By your arguments everywhere else, fights are irrelevant because the characters aren't always fighting to their best with their full strength and Spidey's feats being that are PIS, therefore you're contradicting your argument with just about any other character.

That's not my stance. I implied that sometimes a character isn't fighting to his best ability as shown before in comics. This has nothing to do with strength levels but speed, perception, smarts, etc.

I didn't say Spideys feats are PIS. I'm just saying that if you use Things highest showings then it's only fair that we use Spideys highest ones too.
And Spidey is then easily capable of damaging Thing.

Delta1938
That's not my stance. I implied that sometimes a character isn't fighting to his best ability as shown before in comics. This has nothing to do with strength levels but speed, perception, smarts, etc.

I didn't say Spideys feats are PIS. I'm just saying that if you use Things highest showings then it's only fair that we use Spideys highest ones too.
And Spidey is then easily capable of damaging Thing.

You almost always dismiss fights and focus on feats without even actually providing any scans to prove your case and get obsessed with math.

Except when it comes to Spider-Man, that I've seen. Then you'll dickride the shit out of those fights. And your entire argument that Spider-Man will damage Thing has been based on you not understanding how breaking blocks actually works, that it wouldn't apply in a fight(because of how it's done), and the assumption that even if it did, it accurately translates into comics.

In short, you argue comics, but hardly if ever give evidence and show you don't understand them. GG.

carver9
Just want to throw out there that Spiderman has sent Ben flying with a punch.

h1a8
You almost always dismiss fights and focus on feats without even actually providing any scans to prove your case and get obsessed with math.

Except when it comes to Spider-Man, that I've seen. Then you'll dickride the shit out of those fights. And your entire argument that Spider-Man will damage Thing has been based on you not understanding how breaking blocks actually works, that it wouldn't apply in a fight(because of how it's done), and the assumption that even if it did, it accurately translates into comics.

In short, you argue comics, but hardly if ever give evidence and show you don't understand them. GG. Well we can say that Spider-Man can harm Thing by feats and by fights. Take your pick. So that argument is over.

Delta1938
Well we can say that Spider-Man can harm Thing by feats and by fights. Take your pick. So that argument is over.

Yeah, if you cherry pick feats/fights for both. Happy Dance

h1a8
Yeah, if you cherry pick feats/fights for both. Happy Dance

We can use each other's best showings to be fair. Rpg tanking Thing against 100 ton Spider-Man.

Sin I AM

It depends on which side the rpg hits. Some portions of tanks are more heavily armored

Stoic
Originally posted by Sin I AM
It depends on which side the rpg hits. Some portions of tanks are more heavily armored

Very true. the front end of tanks are generally more armored than other places on tanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.