War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
It's now only about a year before this comes out. I'll be pretty interested in seeing it because the previous two have been surprisingly great and this is the same director who did Dawn.

I thought Dawn was pretty effing amazing.

IMDB

http://www.movienewz.com/img/films/war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-poster.jpg

Robtard
I enjoyed the two new ones so far, so looking forward to the third.

Time-Immemorial
Disgusting

steverules_2
This one has to definitely lead into planet of the apes, I mean that ship disappeared rise of the planet of the apes so that's set it up

Robtard
I would imagine it would, where Apes and Humans face off for control of the planet and it ends with the Apes winning and the implied decline of Humanity back to a stone-age level/being slave to the Apes.

riv6672
This has been a very engaging reboot, and i'm looking forward to the next installment.

Kazenji
I've watched the old movies, The first two were good and then the quality drops big time.

riv6672
Oh lord, yes.

Patient_Leech
I need to go back and watch the original film again.. it's been a while. Don't think I've seen any of the sequels either.

So once these new films catch up with the orignal are they going to continue running with it and basically remake them?

Robtard
I imagine the prospect of a 4th film heavily relies on how well this upcoming third does. The first two combined made about 900mil in profit, with the 2nd bringing in the lion's share. Not too shabby for an old franchise which had a failed reboot attempt not all that long ago.

riv6672
Yeah, this franchise has legs.

HelloLove
Will be an awesome film for sure, can't wait to see it!

Patient_Leech
Hell yeah...

0krawO0kMwQ

quanchi112
What a trailer. Caesar and the tone of this film looks friggin awesome. **** yes.

Patient_Leech
Looks amazing... Woody Harrelson!

ares834
Looks great!

Esau Cairn
Looking forward to 2017 Ape Fest.

Can't wait for this & Kong.

playa1258
This will be a good film just like the first two.

Flyattractor
Ceaser is such a Sad Monkey.

MF DELPH
If this pans out this remake trilogy could end up being or at the very least vying for the top film trilogy of all time. All of these new Planet of the Apes films have been great thus far. Really looking forward to this.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by MF DELPH
If this pans out this remake trilogy could end up being or at the very least vying for the top film trilogy of all time. All of these new Planet of the Apes films have been great thus far. Really looking forward to this.

thumb up

Except I doubt it's just planned to be a trilogy. Probably gonna keep going for a while.

This director is great, Matt Reeves. I hope he stays on for a while. Dawn is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on film in many respects: visually, cinematography, storytelling, character development, special effects/motion capture, etc. It's really a damn-near perfect production.

Robtard
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Hell yeah...

0krawO0kMwQ

thumb up

Was looking forward to this before, but that trailer got me hyped. We're definitely getting an all out war between the remains of humanity and the Apes. Though we know who ultimately wins.

carthage
Looks like a good film.

quanchi112
I love it and here comes Roberta trying to ape me.

laughing out loud

#posers

Kazenji
Wow.....some weird fantasy's going on with you.

riv6672
That trailer was dope. thumb up

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Wow.....some weird fantasy's going on with you.
I know, right? What quan and Rob do in bed together really shouldn't be any of our business. sick

Esau Cairn
I know, right? What quan and Rob do in bed together really shouldn't be any of our business. sick

Quan's got his dental records all over Rob's pillow.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Quan's got his dental records all over Rob's pillow. Cucks sticking together.

The cuck version of stepbrothers with you two abominations.

riv6672
Back to the movie...Woody Harrelson is interesting casting. One per movie so far!

quanchi112
Definitely a Caesar guy. Gary oldman and woody harrelson while good actors are not what I love in a villain. Well I take that back I did enjoy Bram stokers Dracula.

Robtard
Posted Back in June:

Originally posted by Robtard
I enjoyed the two new ones so far, so looking forward to the third.

:0

trufans > bandwagonboys

quanchi112
Posted Back in June:

:0

trufans > bandwagonboys laughing out loud

bandwagoner.

riv6672
Originally posted by quanchi112
Definitely a Caesar guy. Gary oldman and woody harrelson while good actors are not what I love in a villain. Well I take that back I did enjoy Bram stokers Dracula.
I just liked that Franco and Oldman each brought something besides their names to the movies. Woody usually puts in a good effort in his roles, so i'm happy.

quanchi112
Originally posted by riv6672
I just liked that Franco and Oldman each brought something besides their names to the movies. Woody usually puts in a good effort in his roles, so i'm happy. Both of these previous films were solid flicks. This trailer was fantastic. I never cared for this franchise per the older films either.

Patient_Leech
I wonder if Harambe will make an appearance in this...

NEVER FORGET

https://i.redd.it/j7vecx5n5ahx.png

Robtard
A fourth film is indeed planned.

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/planet-of-the-apes/44399/planet-of-the-apes-4-already-planned

Patient_Leech
^ Hm... doesn't say anything about whether or not Matt Reeves plans to direct it. I hope he does.

Robtard
They're probably considering jumping way into the future where Caesar is dead and now more of a legend/mythical figure with the Apes who now dominate the planet and formed a more modern society, making the film very different than what he's worked on, so they might go with a new director for that new vision.

I'm looking forward to a proper remake of the 1968 classic, the Mark Wahlberg one was meh.

Patient_Leech
^ Yeah, fair enough.

I wonder if they'll keep following it without skipping a whole lot of time, though. Because it allows for more opportunity to milk the series for all it's worth.

I'm looking forward to a proper remake of the 1968 classic, the Mark Wahlberg one was utter goofy garbage.

Fixed.

Robtard
^ Yeah, fair enough.

I wonder if they'll keep following it without skipping a whole lot of time, though. Because it allows for more opportunity to milk the series for all it's worth.

I'm looking forward to a proper remake of the 1968 classic, the Mark Wahlberg one was meh.

Fixed.

I wouldn't mind more Casesar and co, but where do they go after the Apes/Caesar have won the war and humanity is crushed and sent down a road of technological regression?

Seems like a better story could probably be had leaping several hundred years into the future, showing what the Apes have made for themselves as Earth's new masters and sadly, how they've followed somewhat in man's shitty footsteps. Slavery, a caste system, superstitious fear etc.

Ha, but I found it had some/little entertainment value. eg General Thade was decent. But glad they decided to scrap and reboot with what we have now. A massive improvement.

Patient_Leech
Seems like a better story could probably be had leaping several hundred years into the future, showing what the Apes have made for themselves as Earth's new masters and sadly, how they've followed somewhat in man's shitty footsteps. Slavery, a caste system, superstitious fear etc.

That could be cool.

Robtard
Just be a retelling of the original, I'd want/expect a new spin on it though.

Dusty
Loved both new movies. This one should be dope.

Dramatic Gecko
My erectio- I mean body- I mean I am ready for this.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
My erectio- I mean body- I mean I am ready for this.

thumb up

Kazenji
The character Nova will be in the movie. For those what have watched Planet of the Apes, its the character Taylor meets in the original movie

http://www.slashfilm.com/nova-in-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes/

Patient_Leech
Is this a new trailer? I'm not sure, but I'm not gonna watch it.
The still frame of Woody Harrelson is awesome, though...

0IFAqAIWD6g

Robtard
The still frame of Woody Harrelson is awesome, though...

The face you make when you walk into a public restroom and it smells like one or more assholes exploded all over the place.

Patient_Leech
laughing out loud

Patient_Leech
I think it might be similar to his expression when he kept coming up empty trying to find a Twinkie in Zombieland.

Bentley
I did not recall this was coming on 2017 so it immediately became the highest element in my hypo-meter as far as movies goes. Apes rule!

Patient_Leech
Yeah, this is definitely one of my most anticipated films of 2017.

I didn't see either of the first two on the big screen, but this one I definitely will.

Patient_Leech
Nice trailer..

ilhnNa-DrIk

Khazra Reborn
Apes...together...Strong!

Kazenji
Reviews are coming in, As expected they're in the 9/10 range.

Patient_Leech
Reviews are coming in, As expected they're in the 9/10 range.

Yeah, it's sounding good. Rotten Tomatoes

Damn, I really want to get out to see this in the theater and I may have trouble doing so... sad

Patient_Leech
Badass poster...

https://i.redd.it/iktgb7ef3vxy.jpg

vansonbee
So did they explain how the apes kept up with massive feeding of their armies?

Insane Titan
Reviews are coming in, As expected they're in the 9/10 range. I don't really go by reviews, but it's good to it's getting great reviews across the board.

Sounds like it could be a great ending to a awesome trilogy.

Patient_Leech
Are the filmmakers not planning to continue this into the domination by the apes?

They afraid to touch actual remakes? I was hoping they would continue...

mehedi067
This has been a very engaging reboot, and i'm looking forward to the next installment.

Patient_Leech
This is still getting pretty epic reviews. I am already making plans to see it on a big screen.

This is one of the few negative quotes on RT, though, and I found it amusing...

laughing out loud

jackjohn
Last two movies of the series are awesome. I am very excited for this one. What will happen in this is suspense for me.

Patient_Leech
Got tickets for Saturday. thumb up

Best screen in town. Same one I saw Kong Skull Island on and it was amazing.

Kazenji
Read in the Empire Magazine, The apes that Woody Harrelson's character has working for him are Koba loyalist's. They tried to make a deal with his group and obviously went pear shaped.

Patient_Leech
Read in the Empire Magazine, The apes that Woody Harrelson's character has working for him are Koba loyalist's. They tried to make a deal with his group and obviously went pear shaped.

Well that doesn't make sense. If they hated humans so much why did they start working for them?

Kazenji
So they could survive.

Patient_Leech
Well that's interesting. I look forward to seeing how the story plays out.

Rewatched 1 and 2 and they are surprisingly amazing movies. I need to pop in Planet of the Apes (1968) again, cause it's been so long.

S_W_LeGenD
I don't get the hype of this franchise. Apes are essentially super-humans and conquering the world - this is B-movie storytelling.

Franchise would have been much better if an apocalypse devastated human civilizations and 'smart' apes waited for the worse to be over before making their move with human survivors being scattered and poorly armed. And they should not be talking humans.

But...

Don't care anyway.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Franchise would have been much better if an apocalypse devastated human civilizations and 'smart' apes waited for the worse to be over before making their move with human survivors being scattered and poorly armed.

Cool premise, and probably a more realistic cause of such a "planet of apes," but I don't think it would make quite as compelling of a story on the big screen. Not sure if a story like that would be able to stretch out into a franchise or even a compelling full-length film.

Adam Grimes
The market is also over-saturated with apocaliptic survival flicks. This franchise is good as it is.

S_W_LeGenD
Cool premise, and probably a more realistic cause of such a "planet of apes," but I don't think it would make quite as compelling of a story on the big screen. Not sure if a story like that would be able to stretch out into a franchise or even a compelling full-length film.
Thanks.

That is because people are into big battle sequences and CGI on the big screen these days. Quality storytelling be damned.

Surtur

Patient_Leech
^ That's pretty funny! Haha... yeah, it's just an homage.

That is because people are into big battle sequences and CGI on the big screen these days. Quality storytelling be damned.

These do have quality storytelling, though. They're great. Especially Dawn. It's ****ing phenomenal.

S_W_LeGenD
These do have quality storytelling, though. They're great. Especially Dawn. It's ****ing phenomenal.
These are nicely done but still B-movie stuff to me.

What I mentioned can be compelling storytelling with big budget and right director. But not my call.

Adam Grimes
I don't think you understand what a B-movie is.

Patient_Leech
That is because people are into big battle sequences and CGI on the big screen these days. Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Favorite Movies:

- Terminator 2: Judgement Day
- The Maze Runner
- The Mist
- Independence Day
- The Message
- Pacific Rim
- Godzilla (2014)
- Oblivion
- Jurassic World
- San Andreas

vansonbee

Adam Grimes
Reported for off topic posting. thumb up

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Reported for off topic posting. thumb up

thumb up

Patient_Leech
Watched Planet of the Apes (1968) again for the first time and many, many years and really enjoyed it! Amazing locations! I read it was filmed in Arizona near the Grand Canyon... ****ing unbelievable scenery. Loved it. I might actually try to watch some of the sequels... are they worth it? (I see they're not rated quite as high, though...)

Anyway, I'm curious to see if War... will answer the question of why the humans came to not be able to speak.

Patient_Leech
Good little review...

ua_muGR3gfc

Kazenji
Watched Planet of the Apes (1968) again for the first time and many, many years and really enjoyed it! Amazing locations! I read it was filmed in Arizona near the Grand Canyon... ****ing unbelievable scenery. Loved it. I might actually try to watch some of the sequels... are they worth it? (I see they're not rated quite as high, though...)

I've watched the sequels, Felt they got worst as they went on.

claraalbert
I've watched the old movies, The first two were good and then the quality drops big time.

Yeah right, First Two movie is good to see but after that quality of that movie is going down

Kazenji
Why the **** did you edit my post?

carthage
Matt Reeves reveals what happened to Malcom and the rest of the humans from Dawn

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1680649/what-happened-to-jason-clarkes-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-character

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I don't think you understand what a B-movie is.
I don't think you understand what a B-movie metaphor is.

S_W_LeGenD
@Patient_Leech

I like those movies because I find each interesting in its own way - CGI and big-battle sequences aren't the only reasons. However, I do feel the need to update my list according to my current tastes.

I have very high opinion of following movies:

01. Jaws (1975)
02. The Shawshank Redemption
03. Schindler's List
04. The Pianist
05. Passengers
06. The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
07. Ben-Hur (1959)
08. Gladiator
09. Titanic
10. Saving Private Ryan
11. Raiders of the Lost Ark
12. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
13. Jurassic Park
14. The Exorcist
15. Rain Man
16. The Green Mile
17. The Patriot
18. The Shining
19. Downfall
20. Apollo 13
21. The Great Escape
22. Valkyrie
23. Open Waters
24. The Empire Strikes Back
25. Train to Busan
26. The Poseidon Adventure
27. Home Alone 3
28. The Incredibles
29. The Lion King
30. Enchanted
31. How to Train Your Dragon
32. Back to the Future
33. Aladdin
34. The Martian
35. Airforce One
36. Battle for Terra
37. Captain America - The Winter Soldier
39. Captain America - Civil War
40. Cellular
41. Chernobyl Diaries (2012)
42. City of Ember
43. Dante's Peak
44. Disturbing Behavior
45. Escape Plan
46. Evan Almighty
47. Fury
48. Guardians of the Galaxy
49. Interstellar
50. John Q

There are more but its a mix.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by carthage
Matt Reeves reveals what happened to Malcom and the rest of the humans from Dawn

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1680649/what-happened-to-jason-clarkes-dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-character

That's cool. I wonder why they cut it from the movie. Seems quite relevant.

Surtur
^ That's pretty funny! Haha... yeah, it's just an homage.

I almost feel bad for the guy, even Whoopi Goldberg called him out. When the woman who has compared Trump to the Taliban is calling you out you know you messed up.

carthage
breathtaking movie

What an emotional journey and an excellent end for Caesar's trilogy

10/10

Surtur
Plus he'll be forever honored by sharing a name with a pizza place.

TheVaultDweller
I was going to go watch it this weekend, but the weather is cold as shit and I don't want to leave the house. Will probably catch it during the week though.

Patient_Leech
Seeing this tonight. Highly looking forward to it.

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I was going to go watch it this weekend, but the weather is cold as shit and I don't want to leave the house. Will probably catch it during the week though.

Where do you live that it's so cold?

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
Where do you live that it's so cold?

Somewhere where it's currently the middle of Winter. It's raining heavily outside as I type this.

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Somewhere where it's currently the middle of Winter. It's raining heavily outside as I type this.

Hmmm. Perhaps were any of the LOTR movies shot near you?

Patient_Leech

Patient_Leech
That's awesome, I can't edit my post to fix my fu#k up. Thanks KMC.

Patient_Leech
This movie is great.

I think I still like Dawn the best of the Trilogy, but this is a brilliantly done film, particularly in how it progresses toward the original films. There's some little references that point toward the first two original films at least. I know the director was influenced a lot by Beneath the Planet of the Apes. So there are Alpha and Omega symbols on the traitor apes and weapons, etc. And there's some explanation for how the humans can't talk.

If I was to rate the Trilogy:

Rise - 8/10
Dawn - 10/10
War - 9/10

Something like that. I hope the filmmakers continue with this series somehow.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Surtur
Hmmm. Perhaps were any of the LOTR movies shot near you?

Not that I'm aware of. stick out tongue

BruceSkywalker
will be seeing soon

ares834
Great movies. Though not as good as Dawn.

Nemesis X
Watched it. Good film. However the title I believe misled a tad. It seemed mostly a prison movie. The big war that came up by the end was between two human factions. The apes were caught in the middle and just wanted to GTFO. The title should've been Prison or Confinement of the Planet of the Apes honestly.

Patient_Leech
It's interesting comparing these two reviews...

grcgqJvQeKI

5hWtlTxJ96E

She makes some good points. She hates the last two thirds of the film. For example I remember wondering why the Colonel didn't kill Caesar when that was his intension at the beginning of the film. Also I kind of agree that having the Colonel as some rogue nut-job missed a big opportunity for the meeting of he and Caesar as two great war leaders talking. Also the fact that Woody Harrelson isn't particularly charismatic, so not sure why they were all following him. But some of her complaints are a little petty, like the death of Caesar. To me that puts nice punctuation at the end of the trilogy. And I can see both sides on one issue: the fact that the movie doesn't really highlight much actual combat between man and apes. It's the apes caught in the middle of man vs man. On the one hand that's a nice little twist in expectations, but at the same time it feels like the prequels to this world needs an all-out war between man and ape.

And about the virus mutating or whatever. I don't entirely understand that, because didn't they all already have the virus? So wouldn't it either mutate or not? Why did they have to be concerned about "catching" it again?. That just seemed a little too convenient to help explain the original film.

But anyway, I'll have to see the film again to really wrap my head about more of it. But I really enjoyed it initially.

ares834

Patient_Leech
Fair enough.

It just seems a little oddly convenient that a virus would really only affect human speech and I guess some other minor cognition. But they had to explain it somehow and it works I suppose.

ares834
I thought it was sloppy explanation myself for something that didn't need explaining.

Patient_Leech
I appreciated the explanation. Otherwise it was just weird not knowing why.

Because who knows if they'll do further prequels that will explain it.

ares834

Patient_Leech
That occurred to me, too. But I'm still not sure if it's something that would be lost in such a short period of time, relatively speaking. About 2,000 years, right?

But yeah, I thought that maybe it wasn't the virus, but this little girl who just happened to be dumb would somehow be the genetic arbiter for humanity's future. That turned out not to be the case.

carthage
Hoping they will touch on the schism between the Gorillas and Chimps in the next movie.

Robtard
Enjoyed it, though it was the weakest of the trilogy.

Did like that they used the name "Nova" as a shout-out to the original film. Also didn't mind the virus mutation explanation, it fit with this new theme overall.

Patient_Leech
So was there some reason that the Colonel didn't kill Caesar when he was captured? Did I miss something? Did he just figure, well, he came here peacefully, let's see what I can get out of him? He didn't even try to interrogate him. I mean, his main concern was the human army coming for him at that point, so I guess he didn't figure one ape, even the leader, could be much of a threat. But still...

Robtard
Killing him would have likely resulted in a revolt, while keeping him as a broken prisoner served a moral breaker for the other prisoners. How I took it. Even though he planned to murder them all once the work was done.

Patient_Leech
Killing him would have likely resulted in a revolt, while keeping him as a broken prisoner served a moral breaker for the other prisoners.

I like that. Elegantly simple.

avasmith6307
Well if any one want this movie visit movies4star.

Kazenji
A good sequel

that one ape i didn't have a problem with its comedic moments, Been hearing people compare him to Jar Jar Bink he wasn't quite that bad

also if they're trying to tie these new movies into the old ones, Still need to explain the people that we see in 'Beneath the Planet of the Apes' with their telepathy abilities.

Patient_Leech
A good sequel

that one ape i didn't have a problem with its comedic moments, Been hearing people compare him to Jar Jar Bink he wasn't quite that bad

Oh hell no. He's nowhere near as annoying as Jar Jar. Not a fair comparison at all.

BackFire
Very solid film, probably my favorite in the new trilogy.

Kazenji
Yeah one of the better final movies in a trilogy.

Bentley
I was all in all pretty disappointed with this film, probably because of the high expectations I had to it. My wife has seen all the ape films including the classics and she did not like it either.

I'm quite an Ape-head, I've read several comicbook series, seen the TV series and all the films so far. Most of my concerns about the film come from it not being a very good follow up to the previous films and a few wasted opportunities here and there. It's one of the weakest Apes films of all times, but I still got some enjoyment out of it.

I'll go into depth later on, but here are some bullet points of my opinion on this:

The Good:

- Apes references to other films were well done.
- Caesar is consistent with his character: generous, short-tempered and stoic.
- The plot fits the Planets of the Apes formula.
- Humans facing extinction and still managing to be the bigger threat to each other (done in an excellent way)

The Bad:

- Lesser moral conflict than in previous films. Everything seems to be ranked either personal conflict or survival, little subtelty left in between.
- Humans are batshit stupid and not likeable as characters.
- Nova is barely a character, she is pretty bland and stereotypical.
- Underwhelmed by the action sequences, they did not look pretty nor felt exciting.
- There was little tension through the film.

I would recommend watching it but probably not on the big screen.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Bentley
- Humans are batshit stupid and not likeable as characters.

That's a fair point. War did lack likeable humans. That's why I consider Dawn the best of the series. It's such a brilliantly written moral dilemma.

Kazenji
The studio behind the special effects for these movies is putting out a game,

Titled 'Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier' it'll take place between Dawn & War of the Planet of the Apes.

Patient_Leech
Matt Reeves wants to tell more prequel stories...

thumb up

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/matt-reeves-says-he-wants-to-make-more-planet-of-the-apes-movies-752445

And another interesting article about some films that inspired War...

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/from-the-empire-strikes-back-to-apocalypse-now-here-are-the-films-that-inspired-war-for-the-planet-of-the-apes-752441

Rick Deckard
This is my first post on this board; I just joined.

I recently saw War for the Planet of the Apes for the first time, on Blu-ray. I've always been a huge fan of the POTA films, and this is by far my favorite film in the franchise.

Also, IMHO War is the best of the three newer Ape films - and, I was a huge fan of the earlier two (Rise & Dawn). Great story, amazing battle scenes, and definitely very epic in scope. Visually, the film was stunning as well - especially the landscape & the winter scenes in the humans' battle camp. I was also extremely impressed by the CGI effects re: the Apes; if anything, there has been an improvement over what we saw in the first two films - and they looked great in the earlier movies, so that's saying a lot.

The Apes Winter & the Red Donkey Ape (the servant to the humans) were especially impressive; I'm not sure if these Apes had been in the previous two films.

I liked how the WH character admitted to Caesar that he realized the Apes were stronger than the humans, and he was also obviously impressed by the Apes' intelligence (specifically Caesar's). It was evident here that the humans didn't want to kill the Apes just because of simple hatred, they were genuinely & justifiably frightened that the Apes were going to take over the world.

Going along with this, I liked how there were no real clear-cut "bad guys" in the film. Yes, the humans were obviously the enemy & you were rooting for the Apes. However, as I said above, you could kind of see where the humans were coming to some extent, even if you didn't agree with their views. Also, I could even see the point of view of Winter (the traitor Ape), since he explained to Caesar that he had been threatened - which is why he gave away the hiding place of the Apes.

It was cool that the mute child (that the Apes took after they killed her father in self-defense) was eventually named "Nova", an obvious homage to Nova (Linda Harrison) from the original '68 film.

I did want to address a point that was discussed in other forums on the 'Net this past summer, which is the idea that War is supposed to eventually tie in to the original 1968 POTA film. I can definitely see the intent & the connection(s) here, notably:

1) The most obvious is the "explanation" as to how the humans become mute. As was seen in War, the muteness & seeming lowering of intelligence of the humans is becoming evident with some of the human soldiers as well as with Nova. As the WH character mentioned, the supposition is that the virus that started killing humans off (as seen at the end of Rise) somehow "mutated" and started affecting the surviving humans in this way. Presumably, this means that all humans will eventually become mute/animalistic; this also doesn't seem to be related to anything hereditary (i.e., parents passing this along to their children), but is specifically related to the mutating virus. Very creative way of "explaining" this phenomenon.

2) More Apes being able to speak. In the first two films, IIRC only Caesar actually spoke. However, in this third film the little Ape from the Zoo w/the Blue jacket (the "Bad Ape"wink also spoke, and was also wearing clothes.

However, I still don't see how War would tie into the '68 film, even if you don't take the subsequent films into account (Beneath, Escape, Conquest, and Battle). I.e., as has been discussed, in POTA when Taylor saw the remains of the Statue of Liberty it was evident to him & to the audience watching the film that there had been a nuclear war. However, there is no nuclear war in the world seen in these new films. Presumably, after the events in War the humans eventually become more animalistic & the apes slowly take over the world. I get that.

So, essentially, I saw War as having obvious homages to the original films, without tying in specifically to the '68 movie. Just my .02 - I know others may disagree with this.

Patient_Leech
^ Welcome to KMC. And nice review. I've been meaning to sit down and watch War... again. I look forward to doing so.

Originally posted by Rick Deckard
Going along with this, I liked how there were no real clear-cut "bad guys" in the film. Yes, the humans were obviously the enemy & you were rooting for the Apes. However, as I said above, you could kind of see where the humans were coming to some extent, even if you didn't agree with their views. Also, I could even see the point of view of Winter (the traitor Ape), since he explained to Caesar that he had been threatened - which is why he gave away the hiding place of the Apes.

That is what makes these films so strong, the fact that the conflicts and characters are complex and not 1-dimensional cardboard cutouts for the purpose of good-vs-evil cliches. It's what makes these films so fun to watch and re-watch again and again.

Upon first viewing of War I still thought Dawn was my favorite. But I will rewatch War soon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.