Which Emperor makes for the best character concept?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Beniboybling
As the title says, from a solely conceptual standpoint (so without accounting for actual execution, merely how they look on paper, imagine you're storyboarding), which Emperor do you think makes for the most compelling character?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/1c/BigBadSithEmperor.png http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d8/Emperor_Sidious.png http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d9/Valkorion.png

The maddened and power obsessed ancient Sith Lord who seeks to devour the universe?
The grim culmination of a Jedi revenge plot turned megalomanical ruler of the galaxy?
Or the immortal eternal ruler who creates empires on a whim as playgrounds for his ideals?

Vote in the poll and post reasons below. smile

The Ellimist
Sidious.

NewGuy01
Honestly, Valkorion may have been my favorite if he wasn't Vitiate; I.e. An interesting third party. But Sidious.

Zenwolf
Sidious clearly, Vitiate/Valk weren't really great characters apart from having large power...what else is there to either character?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I absolutely love them all.

MS Warehouse
Valkorion

Sinious
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
I absolutely love them all. thumb up
Originally posted by Beniboybling
The grim culmination of a Jedi revenge plot turned megalomanical ruler of the galaxy?
Or the immortal eternal ruler who creates empires on a whim as playgrounds for his ideals? Well, when you put it that way, Valky sounds kinda more epic, which isn't that surprising since his deal is kinda moving beyond Sith / Jedi and an Emperor based on Jedi-Sith feud would look less impressive naturally.

Valkorion is pretty cool, and I actually enjoy Vitiate's oratory and inhumanity quite a bit, but you can't really top Emperor OG if you think of how brilliant and original the character and his story is. So ultimately the answer is Sheev.

Deronn_solo
Sidious obvs.

Vitiate is a real shitty character, honestly.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Valkorion in and of himself is pretty delicious, tbh. smile

DarthAnt66
They're all cool, but Palpatine is the coolest.

FreshestSlice
They're all terrible, but at least Sidious was terrible first.

DarthAnt66
The hell?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
He's right. In reality, they're all pretty terrible.

The_Tempest
Sidious is the ultimate Star Wars Big Bad, no one comes close. Especially not Vitiate. Valky's OK, though.

Beniboybling
Landslide victory for Palpatine it seems. smile

SunRazer
Valkorion's a marked improvement over Vitiate, who was nothing more than a pathetic attempt at replicating an actually masterfully designed and written character (well, except for DE).

Still, Palpatine is the original and the best. He's still leagues above Valkorion, and Vitiate's horribly one-dimensional, so there's really no comparison to be had there.

MythLord
Palpatine stomps them.

The_Tempest
Agreed that Valky is a huge improvement over Vitiate. A refreshing reinterpretation.

But that's not enough here.

SunRazer
The thing is, Vitiate's so bland and horrible as a character that a significant improvement over him only brings you to about average. But I have a soft spot for Valkorion.

That said, Palpatine is still light years out of their reach.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
You guys did read the OP, right? Because I didn't.

Valkorion.

SunRazer
I didn't.

Still Sidious. We get to see his machinations. Being right in front of the enemy for decades and still crushing them >>> planning in the Unknown Regions for centuries with two Empires and still failing to crush his enemies. A politician Sith Lord-turned-Emperor is more interesting than just an Emperor.

MS Warehouse
I'd still say creating 2 Empires in the span of a few hundred years is more impressive.

SunRazer
Being right under the most powerful Jedi Order's nose for decades without them knowing your true self, and then proceeding to utterly crush them and rule the entire galaxy is far and away superior to spending centuries in private planning to make two Empires and still failing to crush a substantially weaker Jedi Order.

If we're talking about achievements relative to prep time, Sidious >>>>>>>> Vitiate.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by SunRazer
I didn't.

Still Sidious. We get to see his machinations. Being right in front of the enemy for decades and still crushing them >>> planning in the Unknown Regions for centuries with two Empires and still failing to crush his enemies. A politician Sith Lord-turned-Emperor is more interesting than just an Emperor.

Except the idea of the thread is to solely base the characters off of the following descriptions, and nothing else:

The maddened and power obsessed ancient Sith Lord who seeks to devour the universe?
Or the immortal eternal ruler who creates empires on a whim as playgrounds for his ideals?

So again, the prospect of Valkorion when you put it like that is more interesting to me, tbh.

SunRazer
That's not Sidious at his core conceptual point. It's the political mastermind behind the Sith's return to power and the rise of the Galactic Empire.

Vitiate still comes off as the worst by far. Valkorion comes off as better but without further details, he sounds like too much of a Gary Sue. I can understand why Valkorion would be more appealing to some under this approach, but Vitiate? Still utterly horrible.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Nobody cares what you think relative to the OP. We must bow before Beni and accept his descriptions. smile

SunRazer
Ant would never do that.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Something tells me you're more civilized than ant. smile

SunRazer
I'll take that as a compliment.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by SunRazer
That's not Sidious at his core conceptual point. It's the political mastermind behind the Sith's return to power and the rise of the Galactic Empire.

For 20 whole years. His character will always be marred by things like Skywalkers and some senseless defeats. Just like Valkorion will always produce things like Arcann and Vaylin, and a civilization based on retardation.

Nephthys
Honestly from a conceptual standpoint I think Valkorion may be better than Sidious. His mysterious motives and being, his sinister charm and the way he almost becomes a companion to the PC all make him a very compelling character concept. Is he even the villain? Who knows. He's a sinister enigma and his status as a family man despite his sociopathy only add to his mystique.

Sidious is great as well, but his character is a bit more stock imo. There's less meat on him.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Beniboybling

This one is my favourite. I like the inherent simplicity. No fuss, no muss, he just wants ultimate power and immortality. He's a complete monster with no redeeming factors. That's more compelling to me than some wishy-washy "oh he's not really bad" stuff.

The_Tempest
Ha. Dooku in AOTC is mysterious and enigmatic and charming and you hate him.

Your inconsistency is shameful.

quanchi112
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Sidious is the ultimate Star Wars Big Bad, no one comes close. Especially not Vitiate. Valky's OK, though. Well Snoke may have something to say about that.

Nephthys
Ha. Dooku in AOTC is mysterious and enigmatic and charming and you hate him.

Your inconsistency is shameful.

He isn't any of those things in that movie, actually.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Nephthys
He isn't any of those things in that movie, actually.

Nah, he is. But you're not exactly known for single standards so... lol

Nephthys
Nah, he is. But you're not exactly known for single standards so... lol

I never for a second questioned that he was a Sith and the villain and the only scene where he attempts charm he's transparently fake. He isn't enigmatic because they don't give you a reason to care about him enough to question what his deal is until you go "oh hes the villain ok."

I genuinely have no clue what Valkorion wants or what his deal is. And the conversations with him are interesting, with him showing surprising sides of himself. It's pretty easy to think of him as your legit ally and willingly work together.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Except the idea of the thread is to solely base the characters off of the following descriptions, and nothing else:

So again, the prospect of Valkorion when you put it like that is more interesting to me, tbh. Well your free to consider the characters beyond those descriptions tbh, but yeah along those kinds of broad conceptual lines it the idea.

But this is without thinking about how well they were ultimately executed.Originally posted by Nephthys
Honestly from a conceptual standpoint I think Valkorion may be better than Sidious. His mysterious motives and being, his sinister charm and the way he almost becomes a companion to the PC all make him a very compelling character concept. Is he even the villain? Who knows. He's a sinister enigma and his status as a family man despite his sociopathy only add to his mystique.

Sidious is great as well, but his character is a bit more stock imo. There's less meat on him. Yeah tbh from a conceptual standpoint Valkorion is the most original, they really should have gone with him from the beginning.

JKBart
Palpatine is great, although the concept is old as hell and pretty poor in itself - just the "great ruler above all else that is the absolute definition of evil". However, the execution is wonderful and makes Palpatine one of the best characters in the entire mythos.

Vitiate is a terrible concept and terrible execution.

Valkorion is a great concept, and mediocre execution.

Sinious
Originally posted by quanchi112
Well Snoke may have something to say about that. ngl, I like you Quan laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.