Thing vs Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Decter
Who is the better H2H fighter

riv6672
Ben, imo.

Thor's been around longer, but he learned his skills and stuck with them.
I was duscussing this recently, about how he learned all sorts of new things when he showed up un modern times 10-15 years ago.
While i'm sure he's learned some unarmed combat, he sticks with what works for him, melee fighting.

Blue Area Vet
Thor

riv6672
Great reasoning. laughing

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by riv6672
Great reasoning. laughing

Pretty much all that's needed.

Decter
Weren't both Thor and Thing measured by Champion or something like that?

leonidas
ben.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Decter
Weren't both Thor and Thing measured by Champion or something like that?

Gay

zopzop
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Gay
But true.

Stoic
This is kind of Ben's thing. While Thor is much better at using weapons, Ben has always fought with his fists. It's pretty difficult for me to see Thor having better skills as far as H2H goes. Ben wins based off of history.

riv6672
^^^Pretty much all that's needed.

Damborgson
Anyone think that during Thor's long life, he may have trained in hand to hand for longer than Bens 30-40 years of experience? If we're using experience as a reason for Ben to be > Thor that is.

riv6672
"There's a difference between 10 years experience, and 1 year's experience 10 times".
Thor's a Viking who's fought as a Viking his entire long life. An effective fighting style, but still one style, and he fought with weapons a majority of the time.

Like i said, i'm sure he's learned things in modern times, but he sticks with what he knows. It works for him.

Damborgson
And was Thor your average viking, that might be true. He's had a little more variety than your typical drunken brawler his whole life. He's fought across the nine realms and more, and even if 90% was with Mjolnir or other weapons that's still thousands of years without it.

h1a8
Experience is absolutely meaningless in a comic. A character can have millions of years experience and still get stomp in skill.
Too many examples that supports that statement.

riv6672
Originally posted by Damborgson
And was Thor your average viking, that might be true. He's had a little more variety than your typical drunken brawler his whole life. He's fought across the nine realms and more, and even if 90% was with Mjolnir or other weapons that's still thousands of years without it.
Yeah, he wasnt fighting ninjas and studying with Pai Mei, guy.
You can of course, believe as you like; i'll believe what's right.

krisblaze
If they were both reduced to human beings then Thor would absolutely kill him.

That said, Ben does the most with his limited mobility and inflexible frame.

riv6672
^^^WTF? laughing

You need to read up on Ben Grimm, guy.
He's got the speed and reflexes from before he morphed, which is why he's still an ace pilot.
You kinda dont want a brick flying you through NYC, space, other dimensions and all sorts of other shit.

krisblaze
His size and dimensions are still inhuman.

Though very few Thor still has better feats from when he is depowered.

riv6672
Haha laughing

Whatever guy, i'm not a teacher, and you arent getting graded on this. But if i was and you were, you'd be failing.

Not for thinking Thor wins, but for your obvious lack of reading/comprehending the available material.

krisblaze
I am a teacher, and you fail.

Thor is definitely the more skilled fighter.

riv6672
Your students fail. At life. Because of you. And your lack of comics IQ. So sad.

the Darkone
Thor, is a master combatant his skill and experience surpasses Ben even though writers dumb down Thor making him brawl more than anything. Even captain America states that Thor is the finest fighter he has ever seen.

riv6672
Interesting.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by the Darkone
Thor, is a master combatant his skill and experience surpasses Ben even though writers dumb down Thor making him brawl more than anything. Even captain America states that Thor is the finest fighter he has ever seen.

Yes

riv6672
Well, mostly cuz i'm bored, about to log off, and hoping to have so something new to read later, i'll fall back on two board staples:

"Lip service. Doesnt count."

"Scans?"

Decter
Originally posted by the Darkone

He forgot about Hercules then

Anyway even Tony before his training with cap was getting compliments. Knowing how to throw a good solid punch gets you recognition from cap

the Darkone
Originally posted by Decter
He forgot about Hercules then

Anyway even Tony before his training with cap was getting compliments. Knowing how to throw a good solid punch gets you recognition from cap

When that statement was made Thor was a mortal, Thor is God of war besides the God of Thunder. He's been in countless battles thought his life, his skills in h2h and weapons is very only one that comes close is Hercules and ares and they are his peers in flighting skills and experience even Thor is older than Hercules

krisblaze
Tyr is the nordic god of war but but yeah, Thor's skills should be beyond Ben.

riv6672
But they arent. Go figure.

DarkSaint85
When they fought hand to hand, Thor was pretty even against Herc - even when Herc was using every dirty trick in the book.

JayDaDon
All the smug comments regarding Ben should probably come with a decent scan or two of H2H skill from him. Since y'know...the evidence leaning towards Thor is overwhelming.

krisblaze
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
When they fought hand to hand, Thor was pretty even against Herc - even when Herc was using every dirty trick in the book.

Herc was slightly his superior, which he probably is.

Damborgson
Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah, he wasnt fighting ninjas and studying with Pai Mei, guy.
You can of course, believe as you like; i'll believe what's right.

Carry on.

Damborgson
Originally posted by krisblaze
Herc was slightly his superior, which he probably is.

Which only makes sense given Thor's inclination to use a weapon, still he did really well, and has gotten the better of him before.

riv6672
Originally posted by JayDaDon
All the smug comments regarding Ben should probably come with a decent scan or two of H2H skill from him. Since y'know...the evidence leaning towards Thor is overwhelming.
I dont see any overwhelming evidence, just all of us backing our choice.
Besides, i asked for scans first.

Ben and Thor are two of the Hulk's best sparring partners, and Ben does it without flight, a hammer, weather manip.
I like that.

JayDaDon
But he does have a phuckton of strength. And heart. Its not like he's pressure pointing Thor/Hulk or showing off MA skill against them. He's mostly a brawler.

riv6672
He's a skilled h2h combatant.
Its a part of his backstory.
Just because he's drawn throwing haymakers doesnt make that untrue, any more than any other character who's said to have mad h2h skills and is shown swinging wildly.

Like Thor.

JayDaDon
He's got skill but the best I've seen from him depowered is beating random mooks on the street. Take away Thor's powers and he still has thousands of years fighting experience.

riv6672
Ben was clobbering stuff with the best (there is at what they do) of them before he ever morphed. stick out tongue

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Before_the_Fantastic_4_No1.jpg

leonidas
meh, i dunno. being a god who is thousands of years old doesn't really mean too much. i'm sure thor IS a good melee fighter, but it really is very rarely demonstrated. afaik we haven't even ever really seen him training as a warrior growing up. if he did, it was....thousands of years ago. he's immortal, one of the strongest beings on the universe paired with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. WHY does he need to work on his melee skills? sure he'd pick stuff up, but it doesn't necessarily follow that he would automatically be better than ben, who is NOT as strong, is NOT invulnerable and HAS no weapon to fall back on.

the best skill feat from either imo is the thing vs champion feat. champ was BILLIONS of years old, dedicated to PURELY melee combat and ben was able to actually fight him h2h and hurt him. repeatedly. that says quite a bit to me.

we know herc was a famous wrestler--hell he may have invented the sport, but he's certainly not daredevil and if strength and durability were equalized matt would f*** up herc's shit in a hurry, like he would thor's.

neither age nor status (as god of war) =/= skill

i think it's certainly a debatable topic at the least and with all things being equal, if they had to battle h2h i'd take ben more often than not. /shrug

krisblaze
^We didn't see him train because by the time he was a kid he could already beat all of Asgard.

Seems unlikely that the finest warrior out of a race dedicated to fighting every day would not be better than a regular guy who's good at fighting.

riv6672
Hyperbole and opinion will let you jump REALLY far to land on a conclusion, wow. laughing out loud

Originally posted by leonidas
meh, i dunno. being a god who is thousands of years old doesn't really mean too much. i'm sure thor IS a good melee fighter, but it really is very rarely demonstrated. afaik we haven't even ever really seen him training as a warrior growing up. if he did, it was....thousands of years ago. he's immortal, one of the strongest beings on the universe paired with one of the most powerful weapons in the universe. WHY does he need to work on his melee skills? sure he'd pick stuff up, but it doesn't necessarily follow that he would automatically be better than ben, who is NOT as strong, is NOT invulnerable and HAS no weapon to fall back on.

the best skill feat from either imo is the thing vs champion feat. champ was BILLIONS of years old, dedicated to PURELY melee combat and ben was able to actually fight him h2h and hurt him. repeatedly. that says quite a bit to me.

we know herc was a famous wrestler--hell he may have invented the sport, but he's certainly not daredevil and if strength and durability were equalized matt would f*** up herc's shit in a hurry, like he would thor's.

i think it's certainly a debatable topic at the least and with all things being equal, if they had to battle h2h i'd take ben more often than not. /shrug
Nicely put.
Been waiting on this guy to show up. smile

celeyhyga17
Thor, Balder, and Sif were generally regarded as the best fighters of their race even at an early age. It's been stated or described that way on more than one occasion. I doubt Ben was never described that way for his.

Thor suffers from being an extremely powerful hero so his skill is downplayed more often than not especially against beings below his level.

But when his skill is talked up, many times it's described as if he's one of your run of the mill uber comic book martial artists. I can't speak for Thing, but I really can't recall many statements or displays of tremendous skill for Ben. Then again I'm not one to read much FF. That for sure I know Thor has under his belt.

Unfortunately due to his power level, as I've mentioned before they will dumb it down more often than not. Batkick to Wondy and Superman level characters anyone?

Overall picture Thor is above Thing. Feel free to change my mind. Open for anything.

tkitna
Originally posted by leonidas

Yeah, i'm going with this. When Ben fought the Champion, they were purely boxing. Thats just one aspect of H2H. Marvel has dumbed down the Champion so much that its not even funny. We have a character thats an Elder Of The Universe and his main goal is to learn all fighting skills and even after a million years of doing so, he jobs like the Rhino. This guy should be DC's version of Karate Kid, but they have him losing to She-Hulk for cripes sake. Anyways, Ben would probably win. He has never been dependent on any weapon.

the Darkone
Thing has heart no matter who he is fighting period, even though the champion got his ribs broken he still beat the ever living 💩 out of the thing, too the point he forfeited the match. Thor defeated man beast who supposedly master countless fighting styles and got worked by a being who has more fighting experience.

E have to remember the Thor is a God and one of the most powerful heroes in marvel universe, they pis fighting ability to a point where the other stands a chance and they shouldn't for the sake of the story, same thing superman beating Darkseid and we all know damn well Darkseid is far above superman pay grade but it happens for the sake of the story, especially we have hero on hero it won't be the same since Thor holds back tramindusly

riv6672
In straight h2h? No hammer?

Genii96
thor took on herc h2h though

riv6672
Yeah, many times, to include the infamous purple nurple fight! thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.