Clonetroopers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

IGOTMYBEAT
I got an explanation for why the Stormtroopers are so crappy even though they were cloned from Jango Fett.
The great part about the Clonetroopers is that you can't disable all of them just by knocking out a Control Ship, yet you can manufacture an unlimited amount, just like droids.

Well...eventually, when the Jedi wise up and figure out Emperor Palpatine is the bad guy, they launch an assault on the cloning facilities on Kamino, which halt the production of more Clonetroopers.

This speculation is supported by a quote from Rick McCallum, sometime after TPM, in which he stated George Lucas was thinking of having some huge water battle somewhere. And since Kamino is largely water, or all water, a battle on Kamino may have been what George Lucas envisioned.

Now, why did Darth Sidious choose to have the clones manufactured on Kamino? Perhaps the cloning technology is exclusive to Kamino, or atleast scarce throughout the galaxy.

So when the cloning facilities were destroyed, the Emperor had to start the process from scratch. Perhaps the new cloning facilities were built in a hurry, and thus just plain wasn't as good. The Emperor probably also had to use a new template, maybe somebody not quite as skilled as Jango Fett, which *could* exlain why the Stormtroopers were so inept.

finti
Or maby Palpy used the clones to draw the jedi`s attention away for his main goal, creating an empire.

JediOasis
Now, what I don't get is that in ANH when the Jawas were attacked Ben says something like "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are this accurate." Are these some left over clones of Jango Fett that weren't destroyed?

finti
I think you are all to hung up in this cloning of jango Fett, the jedi`s won the clone war, the stormtroopers are conscripts or forced to soldering. No clones, the stormtroopers are the next generation of soldiers created and trained in empire academies. Even under a rule of tyranny you will get people who will support the tyran, in this case the empire led by the emperor.
Another thing if you clone something you can alter certain aspects like emotion. I dont think they would have a clone to show emotions like fear. And the stormtroopers and the rest of the empire do fear Vader and the Emperor.

Ushgarak
Oh, indeed you do.In fact, they wouldn't even see it as a Tyranny. I don't want to go too far down the Hitler-allegory path, but where do you think he got the name Stormtroopers from...

queeq
That little convo between the Stormtroopers in ANH as OB1 slips away from them, doesn't sound like mindless clones either. They appear to have hobbies and desires for new models of transport.

finti
Don`t give me the crap that stormtroopers was first used for germans soldier during ww2, the cosacs called some of their elite cavalry for stormtroopers over a 100 years before ww2.

Ushgarak
And ancient civilsations used them 4000 years before that. I know my history, thanks.

But the German model is WHERE THE FILMS GOT THE INSPIRATION FROM.

I didn't say the Germans invented it

Ratcat
The entire Imperial Empire concept was based on the Nazi regime of 1930/40's Germany. George Lucas said this is several interviews in the past.

As for the Kamino idea, it might make sense to have a ready supply of water. Clones are absed on a human blueprint we believe. Humans are made of something like 90% water, and biologists out there want to clarify this.

Darth Tuskin Raider

Jedi Mercenary
back to the whole Nazi/Empire thing, it would make since, the liquidation of the jedi would kinda be like the ALMOST liquidation of the jews.

finti
oh come on give me a break. This is getting silly.

Jedi Mercenary
Ok Mr. military master man

Ushgarak
I knew I shouldn't have mentioned the German thing...

If you take it too far, it does get a little silly. The Jedi just don't reflect the Jews at all, for a horde of reasons.

GL based the Empire on the Nazis. Palpatine's rise is certainly a dirct link to this model. But the story as a whole is not a Nazi allegory- just specific bit are.

JediOasis
Yeah, we all know that Lucas uses all kinds of different historical and mythological events when he tells his story. The Empire is obviously the Nazi regime and I think the Jedi are supposed to represent Buddist Monks with their robes and vowels of non-violence unless absolutely needed.

Dim
Oh he uses nuances of lots of things..and then blends them to make something new...

queeq
Yep, he picks and chooses, cuts and pastes.

lightsaber001
Okay...truth not known..what ever happened to the idea that the clones were cloned after Jedi..and because the jedi were eliminated they had NO specimens to work from..so they kept cloning the clones and their powers were weaker and weaker with each clone..this was an old Idea supposedly Lucas was dealing with years ago...it stand's to figure..each clone is weaker than the original..if you have NO original..you'd clone the next best thing...a clone..well along the cloning lines..we get the stormtroopers we have now..pretty much stupid and will run into the line of fire not thinking...But they do have cool armor...

LS1

Ratcat
So why would that work? Surely you talking about having Jedi Stormtroopers in that case?

queeq
No, it doesn't mean they're trained as Jedi, it says they have midi's. Now, I don't buy this scenario yet, so far I go on the rumour that the Clones were based on Jango. But with the midi's thing, it might be the power tool Palpyhas to control his troops. Just some random speculation.

Ratcat
Don't buy it myself, and besides I'm still on the side that says that only some troopers are clones. As someone pointed out Stormtroopers, who we believe to be the future of clone toopers, most definately had individual personalities, wants and needs.

queeq
I agree, the little convo the troopers had in ANH demonstrates that. So it's still unclear if the cloning and the midi's are connected. I also wonder if that makes SW a little too complicated. For a movie that is. It's very technical and not very personal.

Dim
Yeah well, there's definately two levels to SWs...the base "know enough to get the movie" and the there's the geek level..that's us. laughing out loud

queeq
Geek? Moi? How rude...

Dim
Hey!...I called myself a geek too! laughing out loud

queeq
But... you ARE one. laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.