Which race of beings have the best tech in comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
New Gods?
Monitors?

Who has the best technology in comics?

-K-M-
Don't forget the 5th dimension. Their technology is so advanced people think it's magic

Zack M
Let's exclude the 5-D race.

-K-M-
You're dead to me

Zack M
laughing out loud You're so mean.

Raisen
In real life the black race has the best tech. All kinds of different guns and drugs. Fancy ebt cards, long gold chains and cars that bounce up and down

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by Raisen
In real life the black race has the best tech. All kinds of different guns and drugs. Fancy ebt cards, long gold chains and cars that bounce up and down

Why stop there? Physical superiority, More Commanding voice, and God Bless Queen B Happy Dance

Raisen
Originally posted by EcstaticGrace
Why stop there? Physical superiority, More Commanding voice, and God Bless Queen B Happy Dance
Lol

marwash22
don't overlook humans

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by marwash22
don't overlook humans

Definitely Humans, moreso I feel like where DC generally focuses on Power, Marvel focuses on its threats with Intelligence.

Doom who constantly builds devices to steal power, Reed with his Ultimate Nullification device, Panther whose imitated their tech, Stark whose generally builds technology that can combat power

Zack M
Definitely Humans, moreso I feel like where DC generally focuses on Power, Marvel focuses on its threats with Intelligence.

Doom who constantly builds devices to steal power, Reed with his Ultimate Nullification device, Panther whose imitated their tech, Stark whose generally builds technology that can combat power

Brainaic? Ray Palmer? Will Magnus? Niles Caulder? Lex Luthor?

Sin I AM

Looking to get banned i see

SquallX

This is not the place for this shit, take it somewhere else.

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by Zack M
Brainaic? Ray Palmer? Will Magnus? Niles Caulder? Lex Luthor?

I agree their all geniuses especially Braniac but how often do they get to show this in a Multi or Universal way other then elseworlds or etc?

Only instance I can think of off head is Convergence for Braniac who isn't even a human.

EcstaticGrace

Yeah I'm honestly disgusted by this, shame on you mad

Galan007
Monitors.

ghostman
Lol

kill yourself ******.

Zack M
I agree their all geniuses especially Braniac but how often do they get to show this in a Multi or Universal way other then elseworlds or etc?

Only instance I can think of off head is Convergence for Braniac who isn't even a human.

Ray Palmer solved a universal destroying event, Niles Caulder created a being so powerful that they were throwing his victims into our reality, Lex Luthor stole the powers of a cosmic/god like being that got the notice of Death of the Endless, etc...

They all have their uber feats. Didn't even include guys like Ultra-Humanite, Dr. Sivana, TO Morrow, etc...

quanchi112
Monitors. New gods are overrated.

EcstaticGrace
Ray Palmer solved a universal destroying event, Niles Caulder created a being so powerful that they were throwing his victims into our reality, Lex Luthor stole the powers of a cosmic/god like being that got the notice of Death of the Endless, etc...

They all have their uber feats. Didn't even include guys like Ultra-Humanite, Dr. Sivana, TO Morrow, etc...

That sounds impressive wasn't even aware of most of that. Probably going to to have to tell me what stories to read.

Digi
Time Lords, if we stretch the bounds of the inquiry's purview a bit. I'd put them step for step with anyone mentioned so far, save perhaps the 5D realm.

SquallX
Originally posted by quanchi112
Monitors. New gods are overrated.

How are the New Gods overrated? It's actually the opposite really. The New Gods if ever written to there true potentials are beast with few beings been able to stop them.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Digi
Time Lords, if we stretch the bounds of the inquiry's purview a bit. I'd put them step for step with anyone mentioned so far, save perhaps the 5D realm.
Not above the monitors.

Galan007
Originally posted by SquallX
How are the New Gods overrated? It's actually the opposite really. The New Gods if ever written to there true potentials are beast with few beings been able to stop them. The Worlogog, for example, is New God tech. thumb up

Sin I AM

When did lex do that

Digi
Originally posted by krisblaze
Not above the monitors.

Debatable, imo. It gets to be tough splitting hairs once you get into universal/multiversal-level tech.

quanchi112
Originally posted by SquallX
How are the New Gods overrated? It's actually the opposite really. The New Gods if ever written to there true potentials are beast with few beings been able to stop them. Nah, remember that time Darkseid and his tech couldn't figure out a way to get a brainless brick off his planet.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sin I AM
When did lex do that Action Comics #899-900.

Via significant prep, he was able to absorb the Zone Child's power.

Debatable, imo. It gets to be tough splitting hairs once you get into universal/multiversal-level tech. I know nothing of the Time Lords... Literally nothing at all.

What are the feats of their high-end tech? It must be uber as phuck if you're putting them on par with Monitors.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Nah, remember that time Darkseid and his tech couldn't figure out a way to get a brainless brick off his planet. Even you've got to admit that New God tech has been written extremely uber ever since Final Crisis.

Hell, the DCnU(and Morrison, obviously) has given the New Gods their biggest push... Like ever.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Galan007
Action Comics #899-900.

Via significant prep, he was able to absorb the Zone Child's power.

I know nothing of the Time Lords... Literally nothing at all.

What are the feats of their high-end tech? It must be uber as phuck if you're putting them on par with Monitors.

Even you've got to admit that New God tech has been written extremely uber ever since Final Crisis.

Hell, the DCnU(and Morrison, obviously) has given the New Gods their biggest push... Like ever.

Thx galan

Digi
Originally posted by Galan007
I know nothing of the Time Lords... Literally nothing at all.

So, for a reference point, the Doctor's time machine (TARDIS) is an "outdated" model, and it alone possesses a couple of universal-level feats. Accessing its core and temporarily taking the full nature of it into herself, one of the Doctor's companions became an omniscient reality warper capable of viewing and manipulating all of time and space.

The TARDIS also self-destructed in a way that destroyed the entire universe, but simultaneously recreated it from scratch bc the Doctor was able to save some kind of universal signature which the explosion spread out (it was a weird arc).

The Time Lords also reportedly are responsible for the creation of black holes in their universe, are able to travel between dimensions without much trouble (the Doctor alone couldn't do this, but the Time Lords' collective tech made it possible).

Their time machines have also been rigged to permit paradoxes in the timeline. E.g. killing your own mother, but it doesn't simultaneously kill you. This allowed the last beings in the universe to go back in time and invade the past without consequence.

The Doctor's TARDIS (again, one in a fleet of presumably millions), also "towed" an inhabited planet through space, which means it has a planetary-level tractor beam that can also apparently keep an atmospheric shell intact while traveling at superluminal speeds. As further proof of concept, the Time Lords have rearranged entire galaxies using similar tech. It was sort of a magnetic cannon (think Star Wars Centerpoint Station for a reference).

Then there's the Matrix (which the movies may have borrowed from slightly). It's a database in its most simplistic form, but contains the biological signatures and memories of the Time Lords, and also has access to input from every TARDIS in the "fleet." This combined "time data" allows it to literally predict the future. It can also act as a virtual reality simulation because it's advanced enough to simulate life and basically has entire people downloaded into its memory. In more recent arcs, it's been used to download and "edit" people before re-uploading them into a new host body.

And the most classic Time Lord tech is the "bigger on the inside" schtick, allowing them to house entire civilizations in a backpack, for example. We never get a complete explanation of this - they like keeping it a mystery - but it's not shrinking tech and there appears to be no practical limit to how much space they can store in a smaller space.

A few others that I know of but not the specifics (many because they're from the older 1960s/70s stuff):

- "The Moment," which is a sentient weapon created by the TLs capable of instantly wiping out at least galaxies.
- Hand of Omega - could force a star to go supernova.
- The Eye of Harmony - a black hole singularity that is contained by their tech and used to access the timestream...there's a master one on the home planet, and also one in each TARDIS.
- Dematerialization Gun - an old plot device from like the 60s, it would retcon you from time.
- The Glove of Rassilon - An offshoot of the demat gun, when worn this can wipe people from history with a thought. Rassilon is an historically badass Time Lord and would use it to correct alterations to the timeline. Also more recently reverted the entire human race at once (they had been biologically altered to be the same person).
- As, well, lords of time, they can also put individuals all the way up to planets in a time loop or time lock, essentially cutting them off from existence outside a specific pocket of time. They've done similar things with pocket dimensions.

Those are off the top of my head with a little help from the Wiki to fill in the details. The Doctor's a walking tech plot device, at least on par with Reed in Marvel. And they have to keep the Time Lords as a whole ominous, so there isn't much they haven't done.

Doctor Who rarely goes multiversal, so there's the potential Achilles heel. But he's thwarted at least 1-2 threats that were multiversal in scope, and some of the above tech/weaponry/manipulation could pretty conceivably apply to a multiversal level, especially given the fact that they deal in pocket dimensions and the like on the regular.

abhilegend
When Tardis exploded, it destroyed ALL reality. Every single universe. And restored it using Pandorica.

Also Donna saved entire multiverse when Davros threatened to explode his reality bomb. That's one of my favorite villain speeches in any medium.

And it was actually destroying every single universe as Rose was hopping through alternate universes while they got destroyed.

Raisen
Man, I really trolled a lot of emotions on this thread

Digi
Originally posted by abhilegend
When Tardis exploded, it destroyed ALL reality. Every single universe. And restored it using Pandorica.

I don't remember the exact wording enough to corroborate or refute, but which line refers to multiple realities in that arc?

And the Pandorica itself wasn't the vessel iirc, but rather that it was such a perfect prison that it trapped the information from the universe inside it (the universe's DNA, for lack of a better term) that was necessary to recreate it.

Originally posted by abhilegend
Also Donna saved entire multiverse when Davros threatened to explode his reality bomb. That's one of my favorite villain speeches in any medium.

That was one of the multiversal events I referenced. Not Time Lord tech, though, so it's not much use in this thread. She just managed to hack it, so to speak, and reverse it.

Man, I really trolled a lot of emotions on this thread

*pats on head*

Galan007
So, for a reference point, the Doctor's time machine (TARDIS) is an "outdated" model, and it alone possesses a couple of universal-level feats. Accessing its core and temporarily taking the full nature of it into herself, one of the Doctor's companions became an omniscient reality warper capable of viewing and manipulating all of time and space.

The TARDIS also self-destructed in a way that destroyed the entire universe, but simultaneously recreated it from scratch bc the Doctor was able to save some kind of universal signature which the explosion spread out (it was a weird arc).

The Time Lords also reportedly are responsible for the creation of black holes in their universe, are able to travel between dimensions without much trouble (the Doctor alone couldn't do this, but the Time Lords' collective tech made it possible).

Their time machines have also been rigged to permit paradoxes in the timeline. E.g. killing your own mother, but it doesn't simultaneously kill you. This allowed the last beings in the universe to go back in time and invade the past without consequence.

The Doctor's TARDIS (again, one in a fleet of presumably millions), also "towed" an inhabited planet through space, which means it has a planetary-level tractor beam that can also apparently keep an atmospheric shell intact while traveling at superluminal speeds. As further proof of concept, the Time Lords have rearranged entire galaxies using similar tech. It was sort of a magnetic cannon (think Star Wars Centerpoint Station for a reference).

Then there's the Matrix (which the movies may have borrowed from slightly). It's a database in its most simplistic form, but contains the biological signatures and memories of the Time Lords, and also has access to input from every TARDIS in the "fleet." This combined "time data" allows it to literally predict the future. It can also act as a virtual reality simulation because it's advanced enough to simulate life and basically has entire people downloaded into its memory. In more recent arcs, it's been used to download and "edit" people before re-uploading them into a new host body.

And the most classic Time Lord tech is the "bigger on the inside" schtick, allowing them to house entire civilizations in a backpack, for example. We never get a complete explanation of this - they like keeping it a mystery - but it's not shrinking tech and there appears to be no practical limit to how much space they can store in a smaller space.

A few others that I know of but not the specifics (many because they're from the older 1960s/70s stuff):

- "The Moment," which is a sentient weapon created by the TLs capable of instantly wiping out at least galaxies.
- Hand of Omega - could force a star to go supernova.
- The Eye of Harmony - a black hole singularity that is contained by their tech and used to access the timestream...there's a master one on the home planet, and also one in each TARDIS.
- Dematerialization Gun - an old plot device from like the 60s, it would retcon you from time.
- The Glove of Rassilon - An offshoot of the demat gun, when worn this can wipe people from history with a thought. Rassilon is an historically badass Time Lord and would use it to correct alterations to the timeline. Also more recently reverted the entire human race at once (they had been biologically altered to be the same person).
- As, well, lords of time, they can also put individuals all the way up to planets in a time loop or time lock, essentially cutting them off from existence outside a specific pocket of time. They've done similar things with pocket dimensions.

Those are off the top of my head with a little help from the Wiki to fill in the details. The Doctor's a walking tech plot device, at least on par with Reed in Marvel. And they have to keep the Time Lords as a whole ominous, so there isn't much they haven't done.

Doctor Who rarely goes multiversal, so there's the potential Achilles heel. But he's thwarted at least 1-2 threats that were multiversal in scope, and some of the above tech/weaponry/manipulation could pretty conceivably apply to a multiversal level, especially given the fact that they deal in pocket dimensions and the like on the regular. Thanks for this detailed response. Much appreciated. thumb up

Based on this, it would definitely seem that Time Lord-tech is on par with Monitor-tech. Like you said, though: it's splitting hairs at these levels.

For a point of reference, though, here are the specs on some of the Monitors' tech:
http://i.imgur.com/a2hHNuM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vtzhb6v.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aXFjMGf.jpg