Regarding the use of TK.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
So was thinking regarding the use of TK, people bring up that instance of that one Padawan who briefly held a Venator Destroyer via TK before it exploded, usually labeling that as ridiculous and so on.

I fell into that line of thinking too, but now...when taking into account other TK feats, why is this such an impossibility?

When noting according to Yoda

It seems clear that TK is a mental game, because Yoda was expecting that Luke would be able to lift his X-wing and prior to this the only thing he's lifted are small stones, some crates and R2 and he didn't have anywhere near the length of training a Jedi Padawan had during the PT era.

Luke limited himself, because he thought he couldn't do it, not that he wouldn't be able to.

I mean am I saying that any Jedi or Sith could pull of ridiculous TK feats such as the Padawan did with the Destroyer?

Well no not really, but I'm not entirely sure we should just go by what they lift and assume that could be their limit.

Like how Vader is able to lift starfighters, given his mastery over TK and what we know of how powerful he is. He should by all accounts be able to lift much, much heavier things, yet people just limit him as being able to only lift starfighters because that's all he's shown.

So thoughts?

Syndicate
This is accurate but it would make it too hard to measure character's capabilities and thus we ignore it.

Similar to the "tilting the galaxy to the dark" in the Galactic era and other such examples.

Petrus
I think Yoda's wrong and size does matter.

Beniboybling
I disagree, it has a lot to do with perceptions. Marek in fact employs this method in pulling of his SD feat, Yoda demonstrates this reality to a young Jedi Dooku and I reckon it had a significant part to play in Luke and Kyp being able to move artificial black holes.

But size still has a part to play, what Yoda says isn't meant to be taken literally.

Zenwolf
I'm not saying to take it literally, but what I'm saying is what characters shown to lift, perhaps stretch the capability a tad when taking into account the power they have.

Like Vader lifting starfighters, it would make sense that he'd be able to at least lift a little more in size, like perhaps a small freighter.

Beniboybling
Yeah I was disagreeing with Petrus. I agree with your general point.

Nephthys
He has lifted similar.

Petrus
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I disagree, it has a lot to do with perceptions. Marek in fact employs this method in pulling of his SD feat, Yoda demonstrates this reality to a young Jedi Dooku and I reckon it had a significant part to play in Luke and Kyp being able to move artificial black holes.

But size still has a part to play, what Yoda says isn't meant to be taken literally.

I'm not sure. Why do you say it's not meant to be taken literally? At least in the context of his interaction with Luke, it seems like that to me.

ares834
Because we don't generally see force users throwing around massive star fighters and planets...

If size truly didn't matter, force users could rearrange star systems.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
Because we don't generally see force users throwing around massive star fighters and planets...

If size truly didn't matter, force users could rearrange star systems.

Who says they have to throw around planets to prove size doesn't matter? But at any rate, I'm not saying to take it literally, I kinda said that in the OP. Just kinda stretch it a little.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Petrus
I'm not sure. Why do you say it's not meant to be taken literally? At least in the context of his interaction with Luke, it seems like that to me. As in its just an aphorism (like "absolute power corrupts absolutely"wink not a literal statement. Like when he says "do or do not, there is no try", he is just trying to convey an idea, that you need conviction if you want to succeed, not that the concept of trying does not exist. Likewise when he says "size matters not" what he's really saying is it's far from as important as Luke assumes.Originally posted by ares834

If size truly didn't matter, force users could rearrange star systems. And yet they are moving artificial black holes...

Yeah, people like Kyp and Luke should be capable of moving planetary bodies. And yet the idea that they could strikes of absurdity.

NewGuy01
Yoda's clearly full of shit. He even admits that his lifting power decreased as he aged...

Beniboybling
Clearly people are struggling with the concept of a phrase. mmm.

Also Jinn says something similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smpe0m4RD0M

But of course, what he really means is that Anakin can shape the universe with his mind. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyway I'll try and find the lesson where Yoda demonstrates this idea.

Darth Abonis
I think Yoda was speaking directly to Luke as he knew his force potential was so great.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.