Top 5 Duelists of all time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
I'm sure this has been done before but oh well, what do you guys think?

Jmanghan
Luke, Sidious, Yoda, Dooku, Mace.

Deronn_solo
Luke, Sidious, Yoda, Plagueis...not sure about the last one, tbh. Maybe Mace.

Syndicate
Luke, Vader, Dooku, Caedus, Obi Wan, Grievous, Kas'im, Yoda.

AncientPower
1.Luke.
2.Yoda/Sidious.
3.Sidious/Yoda.
4.Plagueis.
5.Anakin.

Deronn_solo
Oh, yeah, forgot about Ani. Yeah, he takes the last spot.

Rebel95
Originally posted by Syndicate
Obi Wan, Grievous, Kas'im
laughing out loud

DarthAnt66
Christ.

DarthAnt66
Anyway, Sheev, Luke, Yoda, Anakin, and probably Plagueis.

AncientPower
thumb up

Great minds think alike, so Deronn stop with Vader > Kun and we'll get along in our NJO knowledge.

carthage
Kun isn't more skilled than Vader lmao

Rebel95
Originally posted by AncientPower
Vader > Kun

AncientPower
Originally posted by carthage
Kun isn't more skilled than Vader lmao

Who even said that? That isn't even in reference to this thread you baffoon.

Trocity
1. Luke
2. Yoda
3. Sidious
4. Anakin
5. Krayt shifty

DarthAnt66
I've never understood the Krayt saber praise.

chingchangwalla
1. Luke
2. Sheev
3. Yoda
4. Krayt/Kun/Vader
5. Mace

The guys in 3,4,5 are interchangeable. I'm just not sure

NewGuy01
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I've never understood the Krayt saber praise.

Sshh...

Anakin, Luke, Sidious, Yoda, and Mace are probably the best, anyhow.

cs_zoltan

Not sure what gives me more cancer in this list. The names or that it's not actually top5? mmm

Nephthys
Hord
Bane
Hero of Tython
Arcann
Zannah

chingchangwalla
Pardon me? Zannah?

SunRazer
Yeah, that's the worst list so far. laughing out loud

chingchangwalla
He's trolling... Right?

SunRazer
Probably, yeah. It's not that shocking if he isn't, though.

Nephthys
Yeah, I forgot Kun. Dunno who to take off tho.

SunRazer
How about trips-over-graves?

Nephthys
But her defense is basically invulnerable. If Bane can't get through it conventionally, and he's one of the most powerful offensive fighters in the mythos who knows her technique inside and out, who actually could get through it? Maaaaybe the Godlander, idk.

SunRazer
Qui-Gon's one of the best duelists in the mythos - who cares? Bane isn't remotely in the highest pantheon of duelists in history.

Nephthys
Oh I wasn't talking about any of that "one of" crap, I was stating that personally I have Bane at a very high level as a duelist, as in like top 10. So like, if Bane can't break through despite presumably knowing all the weaknesses of the style......

SunRazer
Not sure about top ten. There's a lot of people around that level that makes it muddy.

Zannah also knows Bane's style. And Soresu's hard to break, period. Whether or not you know the technique.

Nephthys
Tru dat.

Yeah, but Bane was the one on the offensive, dictating the duel and he was specifically being unpredictable so I doubt Zannah could do much to capitalise on her familiarity with him. And thats my point, Zannah's Soresu is hard to break. But the common belief is that a immensely talented duelist could just out-skill her and find a weakness. But if even Bane, who literally invented her style, taught her everything about it, strenuously planned out how to beat her and has dueled her countless times, can't conventionally get through it..... well, I think people are futzing some details.

SunRazer
Bane opting for new techniques means breaking out of his routine style - ergo, he's not as good at it. And Soresu really shouldn't be falling to unpredictability.

Nephthys
No indication it's stuff he wasn't good at or hadn't used before, its the style he developed after losing the orbalisks. He initially tries to unleash a devastating offense on her but she's able repel all of his attacks. So I guess it shouldn't be falling to power attacks either.

SunRazer
It's obviously not the form he normally uses. There's little reason to suspect he's as good at it, even if he's a master of it - just like Obi-Wan's better at Soresu than Ataru.

Bane tried overwhelming her with brute strength and almost succeeded with her underestimating the amount of strength he could bring to the table with an overhead chop. Still, it was her underestimating him and Zannah isn't that overwhelming physically anyway.

And you're right - Soresu shouldn't be falling to power attacks, either. Not quickly, at least. Zannah's survival showings with Soresu are exactly what you'd expect from any respectable master of Soresu and it's nothing amazing.

carthage
Originally posted by Nephthys
Hord
Bane
Hero of Tython
Arcann
Zannah

what a shit list

McP
Yoda / Luke
Sidious
Anakin
Plagueis/Dooku/Mace/Caedus

S_W_LeGenD
Probably following (in no specific order):

- Yoda
- Mace Windu
- Luke Skywalker
- Tulak Hord
- Darth Caedus

Rebel95
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
1. Luke
2. Sheev
3. Yoda
4. Krayt/Kun/Vader
5. Mace

The guys in 3,4,5 are interchangeable. I'm just not sure
thumb up

ILS
Luke
Sidious/Yoda
Yoda/Sidious
Plagueis
Anakin

Honourable mentions include Windu, Caedus and likely Vader

AncientPower
thumb up

Nephthys
Originally posted by SunRazer
It's obviously not the form he normally uses. There's little reason to suspect he's as good at it, even if he's a master of it - just like Obi-Wan's better at Soresu than Ataru.

Bane tried overwhelming her with brute strength and almost succeeded with her underestimating the amount of strength he could bring to the table with an overhead chop. Still, it was her underestimating him and Zannah isn't that overwhelming physically anyway.

And you're right - Soresu shouldn't be falling to power attacks, either. Not quickly, at least. Zannah's survival showings with Soresu are exactly what you'd expect from any respectable master of Soresu and it's nothing amazing.

Why is it obviously not the form he usually uses? The text makes no note that his style is less developed than it could be, in fact it notes the opposite. Bane's more versatile than you might think. It's not like Soresu is a form he usually uses yet he's still an absolute master with it. But yeah, Kenobi isn't any good with Ataru, thats why he beat the pants off of Maul and Savage with it.

True, but that was before Zannah switched to her main defensive wall. After she does that she's able to repel all his attacks without difficulty.

You're putting too much emphasis on form imo. It's not like any duelist using Soresu could last against Bane, that's absurd. Usual Soresu isn't impenetrable, it's just that Zannah's defense is so strong that even an offensive duelist like Bane, who knows her technique like the back of his hand, can't conventionally break through her defense without winning a war of attrition of using some other environmental advantage.

Fated Xtasy
Luke
Sheev
Yoda
Mace
Anakin

Meh?

ILS
Not enough Plagueis, prime Anakin > prime Windu sans Vaapad

Fated Xtasy
I don't get Plagueis deal tho

TheNuisanceBird
1.Luke.
2.Yoda/Sidious.
3.Sidious/Yoda.
4.Plagueis.
5.Anakin.

DarthDuelist9
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
I don't get Plagueis deal tho

Apparently people mirror him to Sidious, great physicals + disliking lightsaber combat = top tier duelist.

chingchangwalla
He's almost as quick as Sidious so he could speedblitz all mid-tier masters and a lot of top-tier ones

Fated Xtasy
But how does this even translate to him being top five material?

He is equal to TPM sheev who grew more powerful in RotS? erm

Emperordmb
His blast deflection feat and further scaling off of that speed feat alone is more speed than a non-amped Mace or Anakin (unless you have Anakin comparable to Yoda) could deal with tbh.

Nephthys
blast deflection feat?

Emperordmb
The one where hundreds of droids are surrounding and firing at Sidious while he's standing still and not defending himself and Plagueis is running in circles around him deflecting every blasterbolt before they can hit either of them.

Prior to a rather hefty increase in power for both of them.

Fated Xtasy
I mean.. If we take OCW into consideration....

NewGuy01
Why wouldn't you?

Besides, Obi-Wan's feat from the RotS novelization is arguably better still.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Why wouldn't you?

Besides, Obi-Wan's feat from the RotS novelization is arguably better still.

I do take it seriously.

And yah, there are better number of feats from different SW character doing the same thing to differing degrees.

AncientPower
1.Luke.
2.Yoda/Sidious.
3.Sidious/Yoda.
4.Knightfall Vader.
5.Plagueis.

DarthDuelist9
Originally posted by Emperordmb
The one where hundreds of droids are surrounding and firing at Sidious while he's standing still and not defending himself and Plagueis is running in circles around him deflecting every blasterbolt before they can hit either of them.

Prior to a rather hefty increase in power for both of them.

Was it confirmed that it were "hundreds of droids"? And they were coming in waves IIRC.

NewGuy01
No, it wasn't confirmed.

SunRazer
It was two hundred droids, but that was the total amount. It was several rings of them, totalling 200.

chingchangwalla
God I love Plagueis.

NewGuy01
So what if we split this up as "top 5 jedi duelists", "top 5 sith duelists", etc.?

Deronn_solo
Jedi:
1. Luke
2. Yoda
3. Anakin
4. Mace
5. Jaina Solo/Cade Skywalker

Sith:
1. Sidious
2. Plagueis
3. Darth Caedus
4. Darth Vader
5. Darth Krayt/Exar Kun

relentless1
1. Luke
2. Yoda
3. Sidious
4. Mace
5. Dooku

AncientPower
Jedi:
1.Luke.
2.Yoda.
3.Anakin.
4.Mace.
5.Kenobi.

Sith:
1.Darth Sidious.
2.Knightfall Vader.
3.Darth Caedus.
4.Exar Kun/Krayt Reborn.
5.Krayt Reborn/Exar Kun.

Ziggystardust

3.Darth Caedus.

laughing

Deronn_solo
I think the real joke is Plagueis not making the top 5 Sith list, like holy shit.

Nephthys
As a duelist?

Deronn_solo
Yes. Logically, he should be a peer of TPM Sidious in that department, which is more than enough to make a top 5 list.

Physical capability, a powerful connection to the Force, and technical fortitude, are the three things that make someone a great duelist overall - and Plagueis excels at all.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Yes. Logically, he should be a peer of TPM Sidious in that department, which is more than enough to make a top 5 list.

Physical capability, a powerful connection to the Force, and technical fortitude, are the three things that make someone a great duelist overall - and Plagueis excels at all. I have Plaguies > TPM Sidious tbh.

FreshestSlice
Which is great when you think your opinion overrides the authors with no textual evidence to support you.

Deronn_solo
James Luceno himself said Plagueis > Palpatine tho. mmm

AncientPower
I forget about Plagueis completely tbh.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
James Luceno himself said Plagueis > Palpatine tho. mmm

If we're assuming that a duel between those two would be saber-heavy.

Jmanghan
TPM Sidious best feat is moving too fast for Maul to see, which Plaguies could do, and also taking on 200 Battle Droids, which... come on, KOTOR Revan did ****ing better.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
If we're assuming that a duel between those two would be saber-heavy.

I don't see why it wouldn't be, most battles in general are saber heavy, barring situations like in TOR: Revan, where Revan has to stay away from Vitiate due to his superior power in the force.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.