Gladiator vs Monica Rambeau

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pillow Biter
Who wins?

Sin I AM
Monica. She's definitely a contender now.

carver9
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Monica. She's definitely a contender now.

Based on?

leonidas
well he can't hit her she if doesn't want to be hit, so there is that. she def packs enough punch and has enough versatility to take him down though it might take some work. unless she goes for the thanos option of course. shifty

Sin I AM
Originally posted by carver9
Based on?

Comics bitcch, read one.

Magnon
Yeah, Monica's powerset gives her advantage vs. most bruiser types. She wins this more often than not.

This doesn't mean Monica is outright more powerful than Glads, though; it's more a rock-paper-scissors thing. For example,
Gladiator = rock
Monica = paper
Carol = scissors

carver9
Comics bitcch, read one.

What showing makes you believe she can beat him?

DarkSaint85

The ones where Gladiator punches light.

Sin I AM

Her casual ownage of Erik...her ability to multiply. She's always been uber

golem370
She stopped a fight between Hercules and Namor quick

nwg202
Monica

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by Magnon
Yeah, Monica's powerset gives her advantage vs. most bruiser types. She wins this more often than not.

This doesn't mean Monica is outright more powerful than Glads, though; it's more a rock-paper-scissors thing. For example,
Gladiator = rock
Monica = paper
Carol = scissors

Makes alot of sense,

tkitna
Bad matchup for Glads.

carver9
Gladiator contains her.

DarkSaint85
How? Genuine q.

psycho gundam
lol

Glorificus
Monica unless Gladiator can speedblitz her right off the bat before she has a chance to turn into light, radiation, sound waves, microwaves, or whatever she pleases.

But given Monica's level of super speed, I doubt he could.

riv6672

Gladiator = rock
Monica = paper
Carol = scissors
Nicely put.

Originally posted by tkitna
Bad matchup for Glads.
It really is.

Magnon
Originally posted by Glorificus
Monica unless Gladiator can speedblitz her right off the bat before she has a chance to turn into light, radiation, sound waves, microwaves, or whatever she pleases.
I don't think she can turn into a sound wave. Sound waves are mechanical vibrations of a medium, such as air or water. It would be the same thing as if she suddenly turned into a surface wave on a sea. As far as I know, she can only turn into some form of electromagnetic radiation, NOT into air or water.

krisblaze
Definitely Gladiator.

Pillow Biter
Most of the time, realistic power set advantages don't matter that much in comics. Character's tend to perform based on their overall, raw power ranking. Writers find a way for higher power characters to beat less powerful characters, even if they shouldn't. There's always a manhole cover for the Hulk to frisbee into the ranged-attack flyer who is trying to kite him lol
So I don't typically subscribe to the Rock-Paper-Scissors theory. However, sometimes one character is so setup to beat the other that it's hard to see the writer ignoring it. The outs for the more powerful brick would just be too contrived, even for comics. Monica might be like that vs. a pure brick like say Hercules.
I could possibly see Gladiator injuring Monica with his vision attack, somehow, though.

DarkSaint85
Why would energy attacks...hurt a being who absorbs energy?

carver9
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
How? Genuine q.

The same way he contained a energy attack that almost destroyed a solar system.

abhilegend
He didn't. He was turned amnesiac by the blast.

Pillow Biter
Why would energy attacks...hurt a being who absorbs energy?

Because it's a conceivable out. And comics are comics sometimes. Besides, does that mean no energy attacks can affect Monica, or Surfer, or anyone who can absorb energy? Hmm...

riv6672
The general consensus on Flash threads is that he's so fast the threads are basically a wash. Monica's on that speed level with energy powers to boot. This thread is a wash.

abhilegend
Monica isn't Flash level in speed.

riv6672
Blah blah blah she can move at light speed fool.

abhilegend
So do a lot of energy beings. None are Flash level

Pillow Biter
Moot. Since however fast Flash is, he can still get hit by slow-ass brutes.

Monica's speed isn't the issue here; the issue is that she is pretty much always intangible and can still effectively hurt tangible people while in that state.

riv6672
Not in any Flash thread i make. In those the other character's beatenas soon as i hit submit. stick out tongue

leonidas

a feat never explained, understood or repeated? sounds like a reasonable option for him. thumb up

all his physical skills are useless in this fight. she'd just keep hammering him until he fell. she's proven powerful enough to hurt zeus ffs and she's gotten much BETTER with her powers. he really doesn't stand a chance here unless she fights like a complete moron--and she wouldn't. no brick has much of a chance without some showings to say otherwise. she's one of the most powerful heroes on the planet without question.

Sin I AM
Has Gladiators heat vision been fully explored? He may be able to effect her

Magnon
Has Gladiators heat vision been fully explored? He may be able to effect her
The only things that can effect/interact with light/photons are electric charges and strong gravity (e.g. black holes).* Gladiator might be able to heat the surrounding air so that it turns into plasma (kind of an electrically-charged gas). This could, in principle, quite effectively absorb Monica's photonic energy. For example, the presence of charged plasma was the reason why the early universe was optically dark ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Dark_Ages ). Similarly, the presence of conduction electrons in electric conductors make them opaque in a wide frequency range.

I don't think Gladiator is smart enough to try something like that, though. And even if he was, Monica might still be able to switch to a frequency to which the plasma is transparent before she passes out from being absorbed.

* And in the MU, several wonky supernatural effects, of course :P

Sin I AM
The only things that can effect/interact with light/photons are electric charges and strong gravity (e.g. black holes).* Gladiator might be able to heat the surrounding air so that it turns into plasma (kind of an electrically-charged gas). This could, in principle, quite effectively absorb Monica's photonic energy. For example, the presence of charged plasma was the reason why the early universe was optically dark ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe#Dark_Ages ). Similarly, the presence of conduction electrons in electric conductors make them opaque in a wide frequency range.

I don't think Gladiator is smart enough to try something like that, though. And even if he was, Monica might still be able to switch to a frequency to which the plasma is transparent before she passes out from being absorbed.

* And in the MU, several wonky supernatural effects, of course :P

Super heated air shouldn't affect her anyway m she's already been near the suns surface. I'm saying is his eye beams more than just heat.

Magnon
Super heated air shouldn't affect her anyway m she's already been near the suns surface. I'm saying is his eye beams more than just heat.
Has she been IN the sun (below the surface)? Sun's corona, while indeed made of plasma, has very low density (approx. 0.0000000001 times that of the Earth's atmosphere at sea level) and is thus quite transparent to visible light -- that's why we are able to see Sun's surface. If something is transparent, it naturally shouldn't affect Monica in her (visible) light form.

carver9
Originally posted by abhilegend
He didn't. He was turned amnesiac by the blast.

He contained it.

abhilegend
He contained it.
Proof?

Sin I AM
Not that im aware of although it shouldnt matter

carver9
Proof?

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35308/1315023-fantasticfour_v1_249_p03.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35308/1315024-fantasticfour_v1_249_p08.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35308/1315025-fantasticfour_v1_249_p09.jpg

He contained it and flew out of said blast like nothing happened.

Magnon
Not that im aware of although it shouldnt matter
As I said earlier, I think Monica wins this more often than not. But ionizing the air with heat vision is something that could at least affect her, since this could absorb and disperse her photonic energies. Gladiator probably isn't smart enough to try such an indirect attack, and even if he was there's a high chance it wouldn't be enough.

carver9
Edit.

Sin I AM
As I said earlier, I think Monica wins this more often than not. But ionizing the air with heat vision is something that could at least affect her, since this could absorb and disperse her photonic energies. Gladiator probably isn't smart enough to try such an indirect attack, and even if he was there's a high chance it wouldn't be enough.

Doubt it would work. Just recalled JLA/Avengers where she copied a GLS power. I'm sure that after a few blasts shed do the same with Glass eye beams.

abhilegend
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35308/1315023-fantasticfour_v1_249_p03.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35308/1315024-fantasticfour_v1_249_p08.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/3/35308/1315025-fantasticfour_v1_249_p09.jpg

He contained it and flew out of said blast like nothing happened.
That's exactly not what happened.

Gladiator was suffering amnesia due to that attack and was dazed the entire time.

http://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/29048686_RCO037_1468851330.jpg

He never contained it. The skrulls did it to kill him.

iceman24567
laughing

leonidas
blink

JBL
Those skrulls used radiation against gladiator before that explosion. Gladiator contained that explosion and it had no effect on him That's why gladiator said his FIRST encounter with them. Wow dude. Lol

DarkSaint85

Forgot totally about that.

But PIS is not allowed on the forum...

-K-M-
Brynes line work was always on point

carver9
That's exactly not what happened.

Gladiator was suffering amnesia due to that attack and was dazed the entire time.

http://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/29048686_RCO037_1468851330.jpg

He never contained it. The skrulls did it to kill him.

What the F. This is what disoriented him.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117571/4358771-vs+skrull+storm+version+radiation+weakness.jpg

This is the attack he is talking about. The beings that attacked him is the Skrulls which again, confused him AND dazed him. Do better and stop lying all of the time. He flew back to Earth right after that Solar system attack and was 100 percent.

carver9
Originally posted by JBL
Those skrulls used radiation against gladiator before that explosion. Gladiator contained that explosion and it had no effect on him That's why gladiator said his FIRST encounter with them. Wow dude. Lol

Exactly.

Delta1938
Originally posted by JBL

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117571/4358771-vs+skrull+storm+version+radiation+weakness.jpg

This is the attack he is talking about. The beings that attacked him is the Skrulls which again, confused him AND dazed him. Do better and stop lying all of the time. He flew back to Earth right after that Solar system attack and was 100 percent.

So he didn't know it was the Skrulls in the ship?

DarkSaint85

When even Classic Reed, master of comic book techno babble speak from a time when random comic science could be randomly pulled out of your ass, is unable to explain how Gladiator contained it....that kinda tells you that it's a one-time thing, pulled out for the sake of moving the plot along.

riv6672
Originally posted by -K-M-
Brynes line work was always on point
Yeah, he's one of my all time favorites.

carver9
When even Classic Reed, master of comic book techno babble speak from a time when random comic science could be randomly pulled out of your ass, is unable to explain how Gladiator contained it....that kinda tells you that it's a one-time thing, pulled out for the sake of moving the plot along.

He used that ability more than once though.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/5187/1499329-624813_fantasticfour_v1_249_p14.jpg

Containing things is what he does. Not the only time this happened either.

carver9
Originally posted by Delta1938
So he didn't know it was the Skrulls in the ship?

Why would he apologize to Reed about an incident that happened when Reed wasn't present? Just stop.

Delta1938
Why would he apologize to Reed about an incident that happened when Reed wasn't present? Just stop.

Reading incomprehension FTL!!!!

DarkSaint85
He used that ability more than once though.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/5187/1499329-624813_fantasticfour_v1_249_p14.jpg

Containing things is what he does. Not the only time this happened either.

What does that have to do with containing energy?

Also, is that not the exact same storyline? So same writer etc?

You're basically showing several pages from the same storyline which may or may not be PIS filled.

Like showing several pages from the FIrelord Spidey fight and claiming Spidey takes heralds down as standard.

JBL
Gladiator contained that explosion. It was made clear that he did it. The feat stands.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by JBL
Gladiator contained that explosion. It was made clear that he did it. The feat stands.

That it happened, no one doubts.

Is it replicable in a forum fight, however?

Sin I AM
How many showings of doing something does someone need to prove they can do it?

carver9
What does that have to do with containing energy?

Also, is that not the exact same storyline? So same writer etc?

You're basically showing several pages from the same storyline which may or may not be PIS filled.

Like showing several pages from the FIrelord Spidey fight and claiming Spidey takes heralds down as standard.

I'm saying that the same ability he used there is what he used to contain a super nova. So that's all I have to do is show you him doing something similar from a different writer? You can ask for much because the character doesn't have too many showings.

JBL

Is it replicable in a forum fight, however? Why would people not be able to use that feat in a forum fight?

DarkSaint85
How many showings of doing something does someone need to prove they can do it?
Its the ratio.

How many times have energy attacks/explosions etc affected Glads, for example. Spidey has been tagged by bullets before...but he has so many showings of him dodging that we can ignore them.

@carver: So you're saying Glads....held the energy in his hands?

@JBL: Because the circumstances are not known. Did he use Shi Ar tech to help him? No, that's just DS being a troll, and adding context that isn't there.

But proof that he didn't? Reed says he somehow contained it...that's all.

That's just an example, but I hope you get the point. Somehow being able to contain the explosion - which absolutely happened - does not necessarily mean he can do the same in this fight, without knowing how he did it.

riv6672

Is it replicable in a forum fight, however?
I was just going to say that, along with, Monica isnt an explosion.
Or, in geek speak "brick not hit back".

Americarp
Gladiator should win this, he is more powerful than Superman and a planet buster.

Galan007
Originally posted by leonidas
a feat never explained, understood or repeated? sounds like a reasonable option for him. thumb up

all his physical skills are useless in this fight. she'd just keep hammering him until he fell. she's proven powerful enough to hurt zeus ffs and she's gotten much BETTER with her powers. he really doesn't stand a chance here unless she fights like a complete moron--and she wouldn't. no brick has much of a chance without some showings to say otherwise. she's one of the most powerful heroes on the planet without question. This. thumb up

In a forum battle, Glads really has no chance.

riv6672
thumb up That.

Americarp
Originally posted by Galan007
This. thumb up

In a forum battle, Glads really has no chance.

If Gladiator is confident Monica has no chance, Gladiator is like PC Superman only stronger.

DarkSaint85
I mean, carver has shown him using his hands and stopping the Baxter Building from collapsing.

If I showed Superman doing the same, and claimed he could contain energy blasts etc, people would be all over me, and not in a good way.

That energy manipulating power sure would've been handy against Vulcan, or Cyclops, for example. Yes, Vulcan is a premier energy manipulator, but CYCLOPS??

riv6672
I mean, carver has shown him using his hands and stopping the Baxter Building from collapsing.

If I showed Superman doing the same, and claimed he could contain energy blasts etc, people would be all over me, and not in a good way.

That energy manipulating power sure would've been handy against Vulcan, or Cyclops, for example. Yes, Vulcan is a premier energy manipulator, but CYCLOPS??

Haha, sweet. thumb up

Americarp

It is Kallark's psychic blocks and dynamic strength, if Kallark believes he can do something he will through psions alter reality to do it, just like PC Superman, when confident he absorbs radiation at a specific wavelength faster, empowering him handily. He is awesome!

JBL

all his physical skills are useless in this fight. she'd just keep hammering him until he fell. she's proven powerful enough to hurt zeus ffs and she's gotten much BETTER with her powers. he really doesn't stand a chance here unless she fights like a complete moron--and she wouldn't. no brick has much of a chance without some showings to say otherwise. she's one of the most powerful heroes on the planet without question. Wow. The feat was explained when the writer had him do it. It was understood by the people who actually read the comic. Top feats don't get repeated like that in comics. How many times did hyperion hold back two universes? How many heralds of Galactus has Spider-Man beaten? Get the picture?

Galan007
Originally posted by Americarp
If Gladiator is confident Monica has no chance, Gladiator is like PC Superman only stronger. laughing out loud

You're not a troll-sock or anything... thumb up

Americarp
laughing out loud

No, no not at all, just a comics fan dear chap.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by JBL
Wow. The feat was explained when the writer had him do it. It was understood by the people who actually read the comic. Top feats don't get repeated like that in comics. How many times did hyperion hold back two universes? How many heralds of Galactus has Spider-Man beaten? Get the picture?

So Panther takes heralds out as a matter of fact?

Americarp
So Panther takes heralds out as a matter of fact? Panther has leverage and caught the Surfer unaware, he didn't really take him out. Spiderman on the other hand did beat Firelord, but Spiderman unleashed is team buster.

riv6672
laughing out loud

Yeah, i've seen him here since this morning and thought the same.
Guess i'll just click ignore, as i was never going to engage him in conversation.

Americarp
Originally posted by riv6672
Yeah, i've seen him here since this morning and thought the same.
Guess i'll just click ignore, as i was never going to engage him in conversation. Well, you're wrong and now restricting yourself from learning about comics from someone with vastly superior firsthand knowledge. Your loss kid.

carver9

He did use it against Vulcan.

Delta1938
Well, you're wrong and now restricting yourself from learning about comics from someone with vastly superior firsthand knowledge. Your loss kid.

big grin laughing hysterical crylaugh

You either don't actually want to convince people you're not a troll-sock, or you're just plain terrible at trying to convince others.

Americarp
Originally posted by Delta1938
big grin laughing hysterical crylaugh

You either don't actually want to convince people you're not a troll-sock, or you're just plain terrible at trying to convince others.

Or behind the third door... I just don't care what people think. wink

riv6672
Did he? Thats pretty cool.

carver9
"Why can't I touch you? Because I believed myself untouchable".

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/49974/2263993-vulcan1.jpg

Galan007
So tanking an energy attack equates to manipulating that energy, iyo? ermm

carver9
So tanking an energy attack equates to manipulating that energy, iyo? ermm

Much more than that is going on per the words being said there.

Galan007
He believed HIMSELF untouchable. So he either bolstered his own physical durability, or put some sort of psi-shield in place to protect him.

Either way, he certainly didn't manipulate the energy blast itself... Not even sure how you could reach that conclusion, tbh. srsly

Sin I AM
"Why can't I touch you? Because I believed myself untouchable".

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/49974/2263993-vulcan1.jpg

What are you suggesting? I always thought he simply tanked that blast

riv6672
Thats Omega level reaching, yeah.

abhilegend
Gladiator should win this, he is more powerful than Superman and a planet buster.
Hello CBR poster.

I like how you dropped Superman's name here.

Very convincing.

DarkSaint85

Nope.

As Galan said.

But like I said, CYCLOPS???

@Americarp: Not talking about Surfer.

quanchi112
Hello CBR poster.

I like how you dropped Superman's name here.

Very convincing. ?

ghostman
fucing lol @ gladiator being more powerful than big bang tanking, solar system sneezing, magnetic pull of a hundred galaxies surviving superman. **** outta here boy.

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
Those skrulls used radiation against gladiator before that explosion. Gladiator contained that explosion and it had no effect on him That's why gladiator said his FIRST encounter with them. Wow dude. Lol Originally posted by carver9

Well, obviously you two lovebirds know more than me. Then explain why Gladiator is dazed and amnesiac one issue before he fought the skrulls.

http://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/29050290_RCO018_1469004092.jpg

Why couldn't he recall what happened?

JBL
Well, obviously you two lovebirds know more than me. Then explain why Gladiator is dazed and amnesiac one issue before he fought the skrulls.

http://s6d3.turboimg.net/t1/29050290_RCO018_1469004092.jpg

Why couldn't he recall what happened? Just admit you don't know anything about gladiator and lowball anything not superman. You claimed that explosion caused his condition and he did not contain it. and had 2 others basically agreed with you. Lol. But at least you know a little about superman. For that you have some form of respect from me. But the others..... Lol. Information is a good thing sometimes😁

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
Just admit you don't know anything about gladiator and lowball anything not superman. You claimed that explosion caused his condition and he did not contain it. and had 2 others basically agreed with you. Lol. But at least you know a little about superman. For that you have some form of respect from me. But the others..... Lol. Information is a good thing sometimes😁
erm

Why was he unable to recall what happened? Why are you running away from that? Did the skrulls time travelled and blasted him with radiation which somehow dazed him?

JBL
Go read the entire thing.

DarkSaint85
Nobody said he never contained it. Our point is that there was context to the feat (Reed: He SOMEHOW contained it), the context of which is unknown, and therefore, not replicable in a forum fight.

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
Go read the entire thing.
I have already done. Unlike you that is.

JBL
Nobody said he never contained it. Our point is that there was context to the feat (Reed: He SOMEHOW contained it), the context of which is unknown, and therefore, not replicable in a forum fight. He also SOMEHOW kept the Baxter building from crumbling under its own weight, now how did he do that? The same way he contained that explosion.

JBL
I have already done. Unlike you that is. If you had read it, carver wouldn't have caught you in a lie. Lol

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
If you had read it, carver wouldn't have caught you in a lie. Lol
Carver caught me in a lie? Skrulls attacking Gladiator in FF 250 gave him amnesia in FF 249?

That's some Bizarro world logic right there.

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
He also SOMEHOW kept the Baxter building from crumbling under its own weight, now how did he do that? The same way he contained that explosion.
That's explained in the same issue.

And supporting a building is explained by telekinetic nature of his power. It's never even implied that Gladiator contained that explosion.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by JBL
He also SOMEHOW kept the Baxter building from crumbling under its own weight, now how did he do that? The same way he contained that explosion.

Proof it was the same way?

Delta1938
Originally posted by JBL
Just admit you don't know anything about gladiator and lowball anything not superman. You claimed that explosion caused his condition and he did not contain it. and had 2 others basically agreed with you. Lol. But at least you know a little about superman. For that you have some form of respect from me. But the others..... Lol. Information is a good thing sometimes😁

Originally posted by JBL
If you had read it, carver wouldn't have caught you in a lie. Lol

Did Gladiator not know that they were Skrulls in the ship?

JBL
Proof it was the same way? Proof that it wasn't? If that explosion was stopped and no one was there except gladiator, guess who contained it? Makes no difference how he did it. If his power set allows him to keep massive objects together, then it's safe to say it allowed him to contain that explosion.

abhilegend
Except for the skrulls who contained it to kill Gladiator.

Why would Gladiator contain it?

JBL
That's explained in the same issue.

And supporting a building is explained by telekinetic nature of his power. It's never even implied that Gladiator contained that explosion. Who contained that explosion then? The two Skrulls??

JBL
Except for the skrulls who contained it to kill Gladiator.

Why would Gladiator contain it? WHAT!! Lmao!!! The skrulls contained the explosion??? Give me a minute to stop laughing please.😂

abhilegend
Sure.

Go ahead and post the scan where Gladiator does that and doesn't turns amnesiac due to it too.

thumb up

JBL
Sure.

Go ahead and post the scan where Gladiator does that and doesn't turns amnesiac due to it too.

thumb up I guess one of those Skrulls was the one flying at 100 times the speed of light too huh?

abhilegend
Nah, that was Gladiator as it was shown clearly.

It was never once implied that Gladiator contained that blast.

JBL
Nah, that was Gladiator as it was shown clearly.

It was never once implied that Gladiator contained that blast. did those two skrulls live ?

abhilegend
Yes. Who did you think fought Gladiator in FF 250?

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by JBL
Proof that it wasn't? If that explosion was stopped and no one was there except gladiator, guess who contained it? Makes no difference how he did it. If his power set allows him to keep massive objects together, then it's safe to say it allowed him to contain that explosion.

That's the problem.

I don't have proof it wasn't, but neither do you have proof it was.

Which is the point we're trying to make. He contained it, through context that we don't know...only that he somehow managed to do so. Hence, how applicable it is to a forum fight is skewy.

Magnon
Gladiator wasn't ACTUALLY moving 100 times the speed of light. The phenomenon is an optical illusion, known in cosmology as "apparent superluminal motion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superluminal_motion
This explanation wasn't known yet to science at the time when the Gladiator/Skrull event took place and that's why Reed, too, was fooled into thinking an actual superluminal process took place. Nowadays we do know, however, that such a phenomenon doesn't actually break the speed of light (i.e. the theory of relativity remains valid).

riv6672
That's the problem.

I don't have proof it wasn't, but neither do you have proof it was.

Which is the point we're trying to make. He contained it, through context that we don't know...only that he somehow managed to do so. Hence, how applicable it is to a forum fight is skewy.
Thank you for summing up all that back and forth.

leonidas
i know how that explosion was probably INTENDED to be contained:

http://imgur.com/a/4d78q

he probably used his telekinesis or pyrokinesis. laughing out loud wait, you mean he doesn't really have tk or pyrokinesis or levitation? then using that initial appearance of his is asinine since all the feats in it revolve around an outdated translation of his power set. we haven't seen him repeat that explosion feat because we now know his mental state affects his physical stats--he doesn't actually have the mental powers byrne attributed to him and that would have explained that feat.

live by the sword, die by the sword. thumb up

Surtur
Originally posted by Glorificus

But given Monica's level of super speed, I doubt he could.

Depends on the version of Gladiator. Some could easily blitz her. Like the one who kept up with time dilation belts on sheer speed. He'd b*tch slap her before she fired off a thought.

leonidas
i wouldn't say that. he would need to be able to think FAR faster than she can and then accelerate to ftl speed instantly. imo he doesn't have the showings to suggest he could blitz her before she shifted form. you'd need to be forum flash to tag her before she shifted i think.

Surtur
Like I said, some versions indeed can think far faster.

leonidas
which version do you think could support that? not 616 unless you're thinking of something i've forgotten....

Surtur
I mentioned the version who was fast enough to keep up with the people wearing advanced time dilation belts.

JBL
He also destroyed a machine that was about to fire on him and he did it at near light velocity from a few yards away. I really wish people would learn about a character before posting nonsense out of ignorance

leonidas
Originally posted by Surtur
I mentioned the version who was fast enough to keep up with the people wearing advanced time dilation belts.

yeah, that was a future glads, but even still i'd disagree with you. since there was time dilation involved that would (seemingly) indicate he was still only APPROACHING c, and hadn't surpassed it. he also needed to accelerate to that speed. if you think he could do that before she shifted to light, cool beans. i see no chance even that version blitzes her before she shifts. /shrug

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
He also destroyed a machine that was about to fire on him and he did it at near light velocity from a few yards away. I really wish people would learn about a character before posting nonsense out of ignorance
Non canon. It's from Marvel Adventures which is non canon.

Oops.

JBL
Is him covering 200 lightyears in minutes non canon too?

JBL
yeah, that was a future glads, but even still i'd disagree with you. since there was time dilation involved that would (seemingly) indicate he was still only APPROACHING c, and hadn't surpassed it. he also needed to accelerate to that speed. if you think he could do that before she shifted to light, cool beans. i see no chance even that version blitzes her before she shifts. /shrug Approaching C???? Do you even understand that scene and what was happening? Wow!!! laughing

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by JBL

That never happened, feel free to post the scene you will use and I will explain why.

leonidas
Originally posted by JBL
Approaching C???? Do you even understand that scene and what was happening? Wow!!! laughing

it's an adventure in stupidity every time you open your mouth, isn't it? laughing out loud you should put on one of those shock collars and every time you go to type something, have someone shock you to keep you from opening your e-mouth, thumb up

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11116/111165155/4424273-fftimeclarify.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/111099/2995629-fantastic+four+339.jpg

now, run along and google leiber and kurtzberg then tell me again how glad's non-canon feat is somehow supposed to be an ftl feat. f***** genius. thumb up

psycho gundam
Gladiator wasn't ACTUALLY moving 100 times the speed of light. The phenomenon is an optical illusion, known in cosmology as "apparent superluminal motion"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superluminal_motion
This explanation wasn't known yet to science at the time when the Gladiator/Skrull event took place and that's why Reed, too, was fooled into thinking an actual superluminal process took place. Nowadays we do know, however, that such a phenomenon doesn't actually break the speed of light (i.e. the theory of relativity remains valid). If you believe that was the case then there was about 5 1/2 hours between the left panel and the right one

http://i66.tinypic.com/miyo9s.jpg

Pillow Biter
Originally posted by riv6672
Not in any Flash thread i make. In those the other character's beatenas soon as i hit submit. stick out tongue

I hope you are just funnin', 'cause I like you and think you are too smart for this kinda silliness.

Cogito
Originally posted by psycho gundam
If you believe that was the case then there was about 5 1/2 hours between the left panel and the right one

It's funny, because Reed's sensors wouldn't be able to pick up the explosion until after the light/energy reached Earth (at the speed of light). Therefore, if Gladiator arrived after Reed detected it, then Gladiator < c

But, fiction.

Magnon
Originally posted by psycho gundam
If you believe that was the case then there was about 5 1/2 hours between the left panel and the right one
Nope, Gladiator was moving JUST under lightspeed which means that he arrived almost at the same time as the photons from the explosion did (since those travel EXACTLY at lightspeed). Therefore there was almost no delay between the arrivals of the visual image of the explosion and Gladiator to Earth. This is exactly the reason why it APPEARED that Gladiator had moved at 100 times the speed of light: it was (only) apparent superluminal motion.

Edit. Cogito was faster, I see.

Galan007
it's an adventure in stupidity every time you open your mouth, isn't it? laughing out loud you should put on one of those shock collars and every time you go to type something, have someone shock you to keep you from opening your e-mouth, thumb up

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11116/111165155/4424273-fftimeclarify.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/111099/2995629-fantastic+four+339.jpg

now, run along and google leiber and kurtzberg then tell me again how glad's non-canon feat is somehow supposed to be an ftl feat. f***** genius. thumb up laughing out loud

JBL
laughing out loud Can you get the smart mouse pinky to explain what gladiator had to overcome just to engage them. No wonder you fail at taking over the world. Anytime people like you lowball something that plain as day to see. It makes me wonder. You know nothing and look to others for help. Really sad.

JBL
Nope, Gladiator was moving JUST under lightspeed which means that he arrived almost at the same time as the photons from the explosion did (since those travel EXACTLY at lightspeed). Therefore there was almost no delay between the arrivals of the visual image of the explosion and Gladiator to Earth. This is exactly the reason why it APPEARED that Gladiator had moved at 100 times the speed of light: it was (only) apparent superluminal motion.

Edit. Cogito was faster, I see. It's velocity was a hundred times the speed of light. Real life science has no value in comics. H1 proved that.

ghostman
are superman fans threatened by gladiators speed that was actually stated on panel instead of using calcs? seems like it tbh. come on guys, lets keep it really real here, superman has never gone that fast on panel like gladiator has. he has lots of assumptions and calcs but speed has never been stated on panel. just being honest, this is about gladiator and supes not monica. superman fans are afraid....

carver9
That never happened, feel free to post the scene you will use and I will explain why.

It did happen.

carver9

Edit. Cogito was faster, I see.

Trolling.

carver9
Originally posted by Cogito
It's funny, because Reed's sensors wouldn't be able to pick up the explosion until after the light/energy reached Earth (at the speed of light). Therefore, if Gladiator arrived after Reed detected it, then Gladiator < c

But, fiction.

Comics bro. What we do know is, he was going 100 times the speed of light. Nothing can be said to take that away from him.

zopzop
Comics bro. What we do know is, he was going 100 times the speed of light. Nothing can be said to take that away from him.
I actually agree with Carver here.

But having said that, Monica destroys Gladiator.

abhilegend
Originally posted by JBL
That's not how it happened.

thumb up

psycho gundam

Edit. Cogito was faster, I see. NO. For 1 the velocity of the "object" (Gladiator) was stated and 2 based on that Gladiator would be billions of miles past Earth once the light from the explosion arrived

The same reason Reed can see the explosion in real time is the same reason Gladiator can move at 100 x C: Comics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.