Best Castlevania Games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
I''m stuck between SoTN, Super Castlevania IV, and Rondo of Blood.

Kazenji
SoTN for me, I like the Metroidvania type ones more then the classic Castlevania games where it was just progressing through levels.

Impediment
Lords of Shadow 1, and the first DLC, is simply amazing.

LoS 2 was just not good at all.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Impediment
Lords of Shadow 1, and the first DLC, is simply amazing.

LoS 2 was just not good at all.

I disagree with this. LoS1 is certainly a better epic, and has the more classic feel going for it at certain points, but LoS has a better personal story. I've played both dozens of times, and I like both a lot for very different reasons.

Going with classic games, Castlevania III and IV are perhaps the best. I loved SotN as a kid, but it bores me to absolute tears now and I can't get into any of the Metroidvania clones. Gravitating towards anime style artwork, boring hallway wandering and such is uninteresting.

I think Castlevania 64 and its remix deserve an honorable mention as being good 3D games which made the castle fun to explore.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
I disagree with this. LoS1 is certainly a better epic, and has the more classic feel going for it at certain points, but LoS has a better personal story. I've played both dozens of times, and I like both a lot for very different reasons.

Going with classic games, Castlevania III and IV are perhaps the best. I loved SotN as a kid, but it bores me to absolute tears now and I can't get into any of the Metroidvania clones. Gravitating towards anime style artwork, boring hallway wandering and such is uninteresting.

I think Castlevania 64 and its remix deserve an honorable mention as being good 3D games which made the castle fun to explore. What about Rondo of Blood or Castlevania I?

Jmanghan
Tbh, my favorite is Lament of Innocence.

Because... Leon has the best Belmont theme, and the gameplay just felt awesome.

My favorite 3D Castlevania for sure.

Not much in terms of story, but it was still fun to me.

Inhuman
Super Castlevania 4 then the first 2 or 3 Castlevania games on the Gameboy advance/DS

Impediment
SoTN is amazing, but the voice work is hilariously bad.

Kazenji
I hear Koji Igarashi is making a new metroidvania style game and had to go through Kickstarter to get it made

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Is the name of it.

Jmanghan
What do you guys think of Lament of Innocence?

Kazenji
Personally i never got around to trying out the ones for the PS2.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
Personally i never got around to trying out the ones for the PS2. They have it on the Playstation Store.

Kazenji
Not for the PAL region

Khazra Reborn
Castlevania 64.

Yeah, suck it.

Jmanghan
Not for the PAL region ... sad

Jmanghan
Not for the PAL region I'll get you a PAL PS2 and a PAL Copy of Lament of Innocence.

It has the charm of the classic games, with it also being 3D.

It FEELS like a Castlevania game.

Kazenji
Yeah PSN Store kinda blows at times, Certain games for each region.

cdtm
I like SotN. Great atmosphere, music (Even the altered ending theme for the Live version), monsters, level design.

Of course, the gameplay itself is far too easy. But this is true of all Metroidvania's. If only someone could make a proper challenge like the bike level in Battletoads into a Metroidvania game. wink

Kazenji
They're not easy when your starting out on low level's.

Surtur
Symphony of the Night is my favorite, even though I've never actually beaten it. I have played it on a PSX emulator a lot. Also Aria of Sorrow for the GBA is something I've also played on an emulator, I like that game as well. I do prefer the Metroid style games.

Kazenji
Yeah the ones for the GBA & NDS, I too have only played those for the emulator

did you try out the follow up to 'Aria of Sorrow' Surter?

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Jmanghan
What about Rondo of Blood or Castlevania I?

Really, most of the originals are good. Except for the Gameboy titles, which were rubbish. III is pretty much the best of the original trilogy though.

quanchi112
Lords of Shadow is the best by far. Amazing game.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by quanchi112
Lords of Shadow is the best by far. Amazing game.

^^^

Jmanghan
Originally posted by quanchi112
Lords of Shadow is the best by far. Amazing game. It was okay.

I think Lament of Innocence captured what makes a Castlevania game in 3D though.

Kazenji
Lords of Shadow is good, Except it was more God of War style.

Jmanghan
Lords of Shadow is good, Except it was more God of War style. Yeah, turned me off to it, kind of.

The final battle is great, the battle with the ice giant is awesome, but everything else...

meh...

Kazenji
Different style, But i liked the game as a whole.

Jmanghan
Oh, I like the game.

I just don't like it as much as the other games.

It gave off a bland vibe, and it doesn't exactly scream "Castlevania".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.