Is Darth Bane An Interesting Character?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILS
Take it away!

I'll start by saying, not really - in fact, not at all.

However, I'm curious to see what others took away from the trilogy that I may have missed, or if anyone agrees.

Unbowed
No, not really.

I mean, the early part of POD was pretty good, the card game and his relationship with the bartender, the part where the realization that he killed his father sends him into a depression and his strength in the Force crumbles, leaving him in a difficult position in the academy.

I liked that even the grandfather of the Sith himself was not a born psychopath.

After that he turned into the generic "might is right" villain.

ILS
The card game and everything was cool... until the bartender started reciting the Sith code.

chingchangwalla
Not really tbh

SunRazer
What character potential he had in PoD is completely stripped from him in the next two novels.

MythLord
Yeah -- in PoD and DoE anyways. Also, he was pretty decent in Jedi vs. Sith, tbh.

His legacy is also, of course, one of the most important in the Star Wars mythos, it's just it wasn't the proper writer to execute said legacy in novel form.

SunRazer
Originally posted by MythLord
Yeah -- in PoD and DoE anyways. Also, he was pretty decent in Jedi vs. Sith, tbh.

His legacy is also, of course, one of the most important in the Star Wars mythos, it's just it wasn't the proper writer to execute said legacy in novel form.

Somebody agrees with me that DoE > RoT? Yay.

Deronn_solo
Nope. He's a pathetic villain sue void of any depth whatsoever.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by MythLord

This thread is asking if Bane's a good character, not a good concept.

cs_zoltan
Bane is Star Wars' No Man's Sky.

ILS
Lmfao thumb up

MythLord
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
This thread is asking if Bane's a good character, not a good concept.

Then no. I prefer Zannah a lot more.

SunRazer
Zannah's character exposition in the novels is also woeful, lol.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ILS
Lmfao thumb up

Trocity
It's a shame because before the BT came out, he was this legendary character with nigh unlimited potential ( from a storytelling point of view ).

Then he was turned into "Bane goes to sith academy, Bane fights, Bane goes to try to find artifacts, Bane fights, Bane goes to try to find artifacts, Bane fights, Bane goes to try to find artifacts, Bane fights."

Very disappointing.

NewGuy01
He was interesting all the way up until he was brought to the Korriban Sith Academy.

ILS
I'm curious about the perspective of people who seem to eat Bane up and support him fully as a fan of the books and in debates.

Fated Xtasy
No, he isn't. Anyone who thinks so is a deluded thirteen year old fan that thinks Michael Bay's Transformers and Power Rangers are the best things evar1

Simply looking at the hype lore gave us. "The great creator of Rule of Two" "He who rebelled against his masters" "The wise dark lord"

I expect to see a man of intellect, of deception, politics. A manipulator to rival Sheev and Plagueis. I expected to see a character that didn't need to use his sabers to get things done.

I got shit tbh. Drew gave tiny little scraps but then realized that book needed a testosterone injection and went another direction.

Everyones right, PoD was intriguing(by SW standards) up until Korriban where everything turned into a bad Shounen Action Anime

NewGuy01
fug u power rangers is teh best!

Darth Abonis
I think he was a well written character, but people for some reason don't like Drew Karpashyn and I think hes among the best Star Wars authors.

Deronn_solo
I'm interested to hear DMB's take on the matter.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by NewGuy01
fug u power rangers is teh best!

Scrublord.

Originally posted by Darth Abonis
I think he was a well written character, but people for some reason don't like Drew Karpashyn and I think hes among the best Star Wars authors.

Pardon?

Thrawn is a well written character.

Sheev is a well written character.

Verge or whatever her name is a well written character

Traya, Gilad Palleon, Krayt, and even Kenobi are well written.

To each his own, but there are junior novelizations with better characterization than PoD, so...I don't see how Bane is well written.

UCanShootMyNova
Vergere dear.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Vergere dear.

Yeah that lady.

Kurk
Yes he is. I have yet to read the Bane novels and am looking forward to it

carthage
The two droids that follow Dr. Aphra around are better written than Darth Bane

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Kurk
Yes he is. I have yet to read the Bane novels and am looking forward to it

http://i.imgur.com/z0sezyt.gif

Kurk
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
http://i.imgur.com/z0sezyt.gif
https://img1.etsystatic.com/018/0/5495058/il_fullxfull.489463507_2a0t.jpg

AncientPower
The most interesting Bane moment was when he died. The theory was that Zannah actually lost and Bane was pretending otherwise, so as to achieve the same result with Cognus. It was interesting to see the great Darth Bane, praised for a thousand years by the Sith as the Sith'ari and founder of the Rule of two, reduced to a pretender who, in the end, was no less selfish and power hungry as any other Sith. Even more interesting was to think of how far down the Banite line, Bane himself managed to survive. The implications therein being obvious.

Of course, Drew Karpyshyn, in his relentless search for self-destruction, took the singular most interesting point of interpretation in his entire series and completely incinerated that potential legacy by making Zannah's mental victory 'canon'.

NewGuy01
Pretty sure that last scene was supposed to be a literal representation of how Bane's will lived on through the Order of the Sith Lords metaphorically.

AncientPower
Yeh but it still killed the most thought provoking chapter in the series.

Emperordmb
So you claim that that's shit writing, but "good writing" is building up a character for three books around a specific ideal they devoted themselves to as their primary motivation... and then have them just completely betray that ideal?

ILS
I think he was a well written character, but people for some reason don't like Drew Karpashyn and I think hes among the best Star Wars authors. I actually liked Annihilation by Drew, but the Bane books are just a different story. Could you elaborate on why you find him interesting?

Ascendancy

Yes, he was a well written character at the start, but the trilogy showed very little of who he was as a character after book one and wholly lacked in terms of character development on all levels by the end of the first novel. The books were too short overall and for whatever reason DK decided that was adequate. If you look, most of what's mentioned in the thread about Bane as a char is from the first 20ish percent of the first novel.

Bane had a lot of potential, as did Zannah and others. Even the quirks of someone like Farfalla disappear completely in book two. IIRC the Dark Jedi who plays a part in book three has very little revealed about his motivations in detail, and has almost no depth. The central characters are just not very well fleshed out after the first novel, and Bane is most certainly one of those in that list.

ares834
He was infinitely more interesting in Jedi vs Sith then he was in the novels. It also had a far more intriguing reason for him creating the RoT as he himself was the victim of lesser Sith teaming up to overthrow him.

Originally posted by AncientPower
The most interesting Bane moment was when he died. The theory was that Zannah actually lost and Bane was pretending otherwise, so as to achieve the same result with Cognus. It was interesting to see the great Darth Bane, praised for a thousand years by the Sith as the Sith'ari and founder of the Rule of two, reduced to a pretender who, in the end, was no less selfish and power hungry as any other Sith. Even more interesting was to think of how far down the Banite line, Bane himself managed to survive. The implications therein being obvious.

Of course, Drew Karpyshyn, in his relentless search for self-destruction, took the singular most interesting point of interpretation in his entire series and completely incinerated that potential legacy by making Zannah's mental victory 'canon'.

I really liked the idea that Bane was this quasi-immortal Sith Lord who lives down throughout his line all the way until Sidious, who figures out his secret and therefore kills him in his sleep.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.