How reliable of a source is Chronicles of the Old Republic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SunRazer
I've considered using some showings from there, but I have serious doubts about the reliability of the source. There's a long list of faults it has, where it repeatedly contradicts established material and sometimes contradicts itself:

- It says the Jedi Council championed Revan as a hero, yet the Council chastised Revan for disobeying them and practically disowned all the Jedi who went to follow Revan in the Mandalorian Wars. This is made apparent when the Exile returns to face trial, where five of the twelve total members of the Council chastise her for joining Revan in the War.

- It says that the Jedi on Katarr were butchered by Sith assassins, when it was Nihilus who drained the life force of everything on the planet.

- The Chronicles claim that Vodo-Siosk Baas was slain in battle by Exar Kun. Yet decades later, Vodo-Siosk Baas is apparently alive and well during the Mandalorian Wars, overseeing the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine.

- Jolee Bindo is apparently a Jedi Master, even though KotORCG and the original Knights of the Old Republic make it clear that he left before being knighted.

- It claims that the Jedi Strike Team "battered Darth Revan into submission", and managed a partially successful mind-wipe before returning him to Dantooine where he's "implanted with a loyal Republic personality", when KotOR clearly establishes that the Jedi Strike Team and Revan never actually fought, and Malak was the one who knocked Revan out by firing on the bridge. There was also no tampering with his mind until he was returned to the Council.

- It claims that Revan and Malak had become Darths and trained Jedi into becoming Sith assassins before the Mandalorian Wars even ended. It also claims that Revan constructed the Trayus Academy, even though it's revealed by other sources that the Academy was built millennia earlier.

- It claims that Revan left to find Malachor V after defeating Malak, even though he went to the Unknown Regions to do battle with the true Sith, as is confirmed in KotOR II.

- It claims that Kreia captured, converted and killed numerous Jedi, even though KotOR II establishes that Sion and Nihilus ousted Traya because they couldn't wait to do battle with the Jedi and were being held back.

So what do you think? Is Chronicles a reliable source? For reference, here it is: http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotorii/chronicles.php

MythLord
Retcon thumb up

SunRazer
It came out before KotOR II, so everything gets retconned back smile

No, seriously. It says in one part that Vodo gets killed by Kun, then decades later, in the Mandalorian Wars, Vodo is somehow overseeing the Dantooine Academy again? That's terrible writing/editing/coordination, lmfao.

Nephthys
Yeah, trash source. Not sure if its the same one, but I recall that at least one sourcebook about Kotor II had wildly inaccurate information in it, such as Atris and Brianna fighting Nihilus on separate occasions. This might be it. If it was released before Kotor II then that would explain it.

SunRazer
No, those are some of the Essential Chronologies and the Ultimate Visual Guide. They talk about how records are inconsistent and have either Brianna or Visas being involved in killing Nihilus, or having Nihilus kill Visas.

DarthAnt66
Nearly every source that goes even vaguely into KotOR II has errors. The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia and the Ultimate Visual Dictionary especially.

I read officially canonical works as it is: canon. When a retcon takes place, merely the line is retconned, not the passage itself. And there's a lot not retconned.

Nephthys
I fail to see how this shit could be seen as a retcon instead of an error.

Zenwolf
That's a lot of errors.

SunRazer
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Nearly every source that goes even vaguely into KotOR II has errors. The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia and the Ultimate Visual Dictionary especially.

I read officially canonical works as it is: canon. When a retcon takes place, merely the line is retconned, not the passage itself. And there's a lot not retconned.

I do too (generally), but seeing as this was published before KotOR II, KotOR II retcons back most of it.

And it's published after KotOR, I suppose you accept that Bastila and the Strike Team "battered Darth Revan into submission"?

Also, errors like the Vodo one make this source incredibly suspect, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.