Budokai vs Tenkaichi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Everyone says Tenkaichi feels more like the anime.

But I don't remember EVERY fight being so.. spastic. Sure, there's moments, but the entire series seems to replicate one or two high spot moments, and ignores the more conventional, down to earth fighting styles that Budokai recreates..

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm

But I don't remember EVERY fight being so.. spastic. Sure, there's moments, but the entire series seems to replicate one or two high spot moments, and ignores the more conventional, down to earth fighting styles that Budokai recreates.. DBZ is about high-flying, all-over-the-place fights.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 PERFECTLY captures that.

The only entirely grounded and non-spastic fight I can think of, is Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz.

And also Goku vs Jeice and Burter.

ONLY TWO FIGHTS I can think of that mimic Budokai.

cdtm
Originally posted by Jmanghan
DBZ is about high-flying, all-over-the-place fights.

Budokai Tenkaichi 3 PERFECTLY captures that.

The only entirely grounded and non-spastic fight I can think of, is Goku and Piccolo vs Raditz.

And also Goku vs Jeice and Burter.

ONLY TWO FIGHTS I can think of that mimic Budokai.

You could fight flying around and teleporting just fine in Budokai. But you don't get the hands waving all over the place, kids on a sugar high style of fighting all that often like Tenkaichi does it.

Look at Goku vs early Freeza or Vegeta in the anime. You could make out punches, kicks, and movements there. You can actually tell what's going on.

Tenkaichi think s EVERY melee is like Vegeta wailing on Captain Ginyu in Goku's body, or Piccolo and Goku spastically waving at Brolly and not doing anything.

Basically, if Tenkaichi was a wrestling game, it would be nothing but "high spots" (Think stunts, like a Frog Splash, or some Lucha style cartwheel out of the ring.)

Jmanghan
You could fight flying around and teleporting just fine in Budokai. But you don't get the hands waving all over the place, kids on a sugar high style of fighting all that often like Tenkaichi does it.

Look at Goku vs early Freeza or Vegeta in the anime. You could make out punches, kicks, and movements there. You can actually tell what's going on.

Tenkaichi think s EVERY melee is like Vegeta wailing on Captain Ginyu in Goku's body, or Piccolo and Goku spastically waving at Brolly and not doing anything.

Basically, if Tenkaichi was a wrestling game, it would be nothing but "high spots" (Think stunts, like a Frog Splash, or some Lucha style cartwheel out of the ring.) But it was SLOW.

DBZ is known for fast-paced, over-the-top, terrain-destroying action.

Which you just can't do in Budokai.

What you get in Budokai is similar to the early fights, all the way up to the Android Saga.

What you get in Tenkaichi is everything from the Cell Saga to the End of Z, as well as Super.

KingD19
Budokai was a better fighting game though. It had better mechanics, better detection animations, better moves, and better innovations like the beam clash, and the super techniques just being more fun.

They dropped that in Tenkaichi so you could have a more open world, but everything else felt basic.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by KingD19
Budokai was a better fighting game though. It had better mechanics, better detection animations, better moves, and better innovations like the beam clash, and the super techniques just being more fun.

They dropped that in Tenkaichi so you could have a more open world, but everything else felt basic. I mean, what you said is subjective.

One thing is to be said.

Can't beat that character roster...

cdtm
Full GT roster is pretty neat.

All you really need is Hercule. smile

Demonic Phoenix
Budokai is a far better fighting game. There is no contest.

I had way more fun with Budokai Tenkaichi 3 though. Split screen is ass however.

But I don't remember EVERY fight being so.. spastic. Sure, there's moments, but the entire series seems to replicate one or two high spot moments, and ignores the more conventional, down to earth fighting styles that Budokai recreates..

Because Budokai Tenkaichi gives you a 3d environment to move around in. Budokai is restricted to 2d. That made it more immersive to me.

Also, DBZ was down to earth to you?

cdtm
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Budokai is a far better fighting game. There is no contest.

I had way more fun with Budokai Tenkaichi 3 though. Split screen is ass however.

Because Budokai Tenkaichi gives you a 3d environment to move around in. Budokai is restricted to 2d. That made it more immersive to me.

Also, DBZ was down to earth to you?

"Realtively" speaking, as anime goes.

It varied though. The ultra insane choreography was usually relegated to the nothing fights, while main battles like Cell, Freeza, Vegeta, or even Buu were more methodically, deliberately paced out.

And wish they'd release an hd remake of Tenkaichi, because the prices are pretty insane now for the 3rd one. Just like Budokai 3 was before the HD pack, and Infinite World is working it's way up to..

Funny how Tenkaichi 2 is a totally reasonable 20 bucks second hand, when it's not "that" much of a step down over 3..

cdtm
Soo...

How do the Tenkaichi clones stack up, anyways?

Let's say I wanted to give the that style of gameplay another chance, but didn't want to spend 70-100 dollars on Tenkaichi 3 (I regret selling Smash Bros. Melee when it was only 15 dollar's, too. Hindsight's a *****.)

What would you recommend? Raging Blast, Xenoverse, what?

Jmanghan
Raging Blast is the best Tenkaichi clone, but the controls are weird.

As for the best Budokai clone, DBZ: Burst Limit is your best bet.

Kazenji
The only thing i disliked about Tenkaichi, Was how you had to do the scan thing to get a lock on the other opponent every so often.

juggerman
Originally posted by Kazenji
The only thing i disliked about Tenkaichi, Was how you had to do the scan thing to get a lock on the other opponent every so often.

I loved that! I always used First Form Frieza and since he had a Scouter I would pretty much auto lock on the opponent as long as they aren't Androids. So I would run and hide as the match was starting so they would have trouble locking on to me. Then I would spam Ki blasts like a dick laughing laughing out loud laughing laughing out loud

Quincy
Budokai and Burst Limit crap on Tenkaichi and Xenoverse

Surtur
The Tenkaichi games better capture the feel of the series. You can fly around the level..destroy buildings, etc.

With the Budokai fighting games it was just your standard street fighter type game. You couldn't really explore the levels or anything, you could just kinda fly straight up into the air.

Nothing beats being able to fly underwater, etc. and just go around the level raining down destruction.

Khazra Reborn
There was one of them that had the entire DBZ+GT roster, and you could do capsule customization, that one was my favorite.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
There was one of them that had the entire DBZ+GT roster, and you could do capsule customization, that one was my favorite. Tenkaichi 3.

Adam Grimes
The thing I didn't like about the Tenkaichi series is that everyone is controlled the same. It was too shallow compared to the budokai series.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
The thing I didn't like about the Tenkaichi series is that everyone is controlled the same. It was too shallow compared to the budokai series. They all fight the same in DB/DBZ/DBZ.

Its no traditional Martial Arts, after DB, all the "styles" disappeared.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
The thing I didn't like about the Tenkaichi series is that everyone is controlled the same. It was too shallow compared to the budokai series.
Even in Budokai, most of the characters had a lot of the same looking moves, like throw and melee attack animations (ki blast specials were the main exception to this), just they were given different names.

Take off them nostalgia glasses son.

juggerman
Tenkaichi was much more diverse when it came to how the characters played. You had super huge types like the Great Apes and Hirudegarn that were massive but slow, then you had the big guys like LSSJ Broly and Super Trunks that were also slow hard hitters, then you have the average sized guys like Goku and company they were well rounded, you had tiny fighters like Chiaotzu and Guldo that had no melee range at all but could dodge like a mother, then you fast ass guys like Kid Buu and gorram Burter that can spam combos for days. Not to mention all the weird abilities like paralyzing the opponent, the Android's cheap ass(but awesome) absorption, and transforming into a character that plays completely different and often has completely different moves.

I would play as 1st Form Frieza and play one way but when I transformed into his second form I played different and so on. Some forms are better for melee while others are a greater threat from a distance. It just varied so much. And that's before we even get into all the customization.

Kazenji
LoIVo6M0Pdg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.