Shittiest Novel in Legends

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SunRazer
After all the discussion about the shittiest work in Canon, I decided to do something of the sort for Legends.

The discussion of the Revan novel in another thread and my recent revisit of it has led me to now believe that it is the worst novel in all of Legends continuity. It's now dethroned Legacy of the Force: Revelation, which is quite the achievement.

What's the worst for you guys, and why?

Kurk
The Revan novel.

Dynasty of Evil.

The Crystal Star.

SunRazer
I always had RoT as the worst of the bunch. DoE had at least some characterization, I guess. But both were really bland and a far cry from PoD, which was hardly amazing to begin with.

DoE's pretty subpar but I don't think it's in contention for the title of worst novel ever myself. Not with trash like Revan and Revelation lying about. RoT might be a genuine contender, though. Horrible novel. Never managed to bring myself to reread it even once.

Ursumeles
RoT, and I think LotF:Revelation was shit, iirc. Never read the Revan novel. I lucky bastard.

SunRazer
Revelation was so bad that it almost made me lose faith in humanity, lmfao.

Ursumeles
That my Beginning-of-Puberty Self declared an SW novel shit, makes it even worse. Lol.

Beniboybling
I actually enjoyed the Bane novels when I read them tbh, but that was a very long time ago. Around the same time I read Revan and it was shit. So I'm guessing I'd find the latter atrocious now. Going with that.

SunRazer
Drew really reveals that he knows the square root of jack shit about KotOR II in the novel, lmfao.

Horrid pacing, bland characters (literally no characterization for several of the characters, and the others are cliched carbon copies), absolute butchering of the lore, rushed and stupid ending, and numerous inconsistencies within itself. Oh, and the worst fights ever written in an SW novel.

Beniboybling
thumb up thumb up thumb up

SunRazer
I can't even think of a positive for it. Or Revelation, in fairness, but at least that didn't butcher the mythos or contradict itself as badly as Revan.

Beniboybling
It was pretty awful from start to finish, especially the beginning which was utterly tone deaf in portraying the Jedi and the Republic in the midsts of the Jedi Purge, and depicting Revan as some average joe who retardedly named his son after an anagram of himself, lmao.

Thinking over it tbh, the whole thing read like a poorly written fan fic.

UCanShootMyNova
The Lost Tribe books. They were so bad they put the entire up for free on my the Kindle. I tried to read them and they were impossible to get through.

JKBart
Most TOR books are garbage.

|King Joker|
It's funny that all the novels we'd think are shitty seem to be well received by casual SW fans

RHaggis
Planet of Twilight and the Crystal Star were utter shite.

Trocity
Splinter of the Mind's Eye is pretty bad as well.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by |King Joker|
It's funny that all the novels we'd think are shitty seem to be well received by casual SW fans Lol I went to SW Celebration last summer, and overheard some grown man talking about how great the Bane trilogy was, and how they should all read it.

I sneered at him from a distance. hmph

Azronger
Yeah, the worst SW novel ever written is The Old Republic: Revan. There are many just as badly written books, but at least they don't muddle the continuity that much and can largely be ignored. But Revan raped one of the best works in SW: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. The disservice and disrespect done was simply staggering.

MythLord
Revan, Rule of Two, Planet of Twilight really.

Crystal Star is awesome, tho!

Nephthys
Revan really is a serious contender. You can really smell the incompetence and apathy coming off the page. My favorite point about how bad Drew is is that he wrote an entire chapter with Carth in it then forgot to put it in the book. Amazing.

UCanShootMyNova
Rule of Two was alright.

Darth Abonis
Empire and Rebellion Razors Edge, the penultimate novel of old canon

chingchangwalla
Revan. Pretty let down by it

Dark-Kenshin
The Revan novel easily.

A disgrace to everything we ever learned in KOTOR 1 and 2. It was an obvious desperate bait&switch"tie in" to TOR cashing in on fans of the character only to make most of the book about a new character nobody wanted to read about. The book is also quite lazy. It more or less retcons the events of KOTOR 2.

The book should have actually been about Revan and it should've let him go out in one final blaze of glory before spending the remainder of his years with his loving wife and son. Like maybe he and Meetra actually prevail over Vitiate and spend the remainder of their years being regarded as heroes as well an inspiration for the Republic and the Jedi Order to prepare for Vitiate's return.

Azronger
Vitiate should've never existed, tbh. Horrible character.

Emperordmb
Father in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is basically Vitiate, but much better written.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by Azronger
thumb up Solely based on the Concept, some ToR/KoftE Characters are interesting, imo. Like Marr, Malgus and Arcann.

S_W_LeGenD
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan is really disappointing. Easily, one of the worst in literature.

Lord Nyax, UnuThul and Abeloth story-arcs are pathetic as well.

S_W_LeGenD
Agreed.

Terribly written character. We can thank Drew Karpyshyn for this too.

If Vitiate was thought of an imposter since the beginning, this would have made the Star Wars: The Old Republic story much more interesting. This would have given much more substance to Knights of the Fallen Empire story as well.

However, I am not sure how much role Leland Chee and/or LucasArts has in restricting BioWare's storytelling before Disney took charge. They are guilty of running KoTOR II project as well.

Beniboybling
Not just a weak character, but a weak Force user too, amirite Leg?

Nephthys
Valkorion is interesting at least.

Azronger
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Agreed.

Terribly written character. We can thank Drew Karpyshyn for this too.

If Vitiate was thought of an imposter since the beginning, this would have made the Star Wars: The Old Republic story much more interesting. This would have given much more substance to Knights of the Fallen Empire story as well.

However, I am not sure how much role Leland Chee and/or LucasArts has in restricting BioWare's storytelling before Disney took charge. They are guilty of running KoTOR II project as well.

So, an actual False Emperor? That's actually an interesting idea.

Azronger
Originally posted by Ursumeles
thumb up Solely based on the Concept, some ToR/KoftE Characters are interesting, imo. Like Marr, Malgus and Arcann.

Marr and Malgus are good characters as they are. Arcann... not so much. But I agree - the concepts are good, the execution, bad.

Azronger
Originally posted by Nephthys
Valkorion is interesting at least.

Somewhat, yes. I'd like him more if he wasn't Vitiate, though.

SunRazer
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan is really disappointing. Easily, one of the worst in literature.

Lord Nyax, UnuThul and Abeloth story-arcs are pathetic as well.

One of the few things I agree with you on. I don't particularly care for Nyax. DNT wasn't very good and FotJ was pretty bad, too.

Revan's in a class of its own, though.

carthage
The sheer amount of fighting and action sequences in Apocalypse make it the bet book in the series.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Rule of Two was alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0

Ursumeles
Marr and Malgus are good characters as they are. Arcann... not so much. But I agree - the concepts are good, the execution, bad.
Yeah, they're pretty good. Arcann has a very interesting concept, tho.

chingchangwalla
Arcann is terrible. I actually really like Marr and Malgus is decent too I guess

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.