Someone explain both Legends and Canon in debates.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
Whenever I see a post, saying both Canon & Legends allowed...I'm not really understanding how this fits.

There are a few things wrong with saying both Canon and Legends allowed.

1. Events, some events just don't add up. None of what Vader does in Rebels or the Novels, can really fit into Legends because he's doing something completely different within the Legends timeline.

So none of those events can possibly happen and thus I don't see how they can be used.

Another example, The A-wing doesn't come about until after the Battle of Yavin, even with the R-22 Spearhead, those came shortly before it.

Yet in Rebels, the A-wing is already being used by Rebel forces.

2. Characters. Probably the biggest thing here, Aurra Sing in Canon isn't a Jedi anymore, she's just a Bounty Hunter. Legends has her as a former Jedi and Bounty Hunter, yet she clearly isn't within Canon.

Wedge Antilles is gonna be a former TIE pilot in Canon, whereas in Legends he wasn't.

Vader's prime in Legends was ROTJ, yet Canon it's apparently Rebels.

Grevious in Legends is a death machine, yet Canon he's not.

You see where I'm going with this.

If both sides are being used here....how does this work exactly? If you say then that Canon just overrides Legends...then what's the point of including Legends material?

This would just make anything Vader did null and void before TFU right? Or possibly after?

This would also completely make anything Grevious did in Legends pointless, because as of Canon he's portrayed nothing like that.

The same with Sing as she's not even a former Jedi in Canon.

Sooo...can someone explain this whole throwing in Canon & Legends in the same battle here??

JKBart
No, it's just fugged up.

You can have Legends Vos vs. Canon Vos, Legends Obi-Wan vs. Canon Vader and stuff like that, but using both at the same time just fails.

UCanShootMyNova
Composite just means they get their abilities from both mediums of canon. When contradicting sources appear I assume we side with current canon.

That's just me though.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Composite just means they get their abilities from both mediums of canon. When contradicting sources appear I assume we side with current canon.

That's just me though.

But there's already a lot of contradictions between the two Canons, so I don't see how Legends is giving anything.

UCanShootMyNova
Well Vader collapsing a cathedral and other things that don't contradict canon would be applicable. That's the difference.

Zenwolf
Well Vader collapsing a cathedral and other things that don't contradict canon would be applicable. That's the difference.

But then you have characters like Sing and Grevious, whose showings in Legends are really contradicted in Canon.

Luke is too.

Kurk
Legends Dooku and Canon Dooku. Don't see a problem there. You have to wield "Legends & Canon feats" with caution.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Zenwolf
But then you have characters like Sing and Grevious, whose showings in Legends are really contradicted in Canon.

Luke is too.

You apply logical assumptions. Like the fact that Grievous was overconfident against the Gungans and learned from that mistake. Like the fact that he lost to Ventress on a DS nexus. Like the fact that Fisto had an advantage well suited to facing Grievous's multiple blades and that he'd been injured beforehand. Etc.

Zenwolf
You apply logical assumptions. Like the fact that Grievous was overconfident against the Gungans and learned from that mistake. Like the fact that he lost to Ventress on a DS nexus. Like the fact that Fisto had an advantage well suited to facing Grievous's multiple blades and that he'd been injured beforehand. Etc.

But those are all Canon showings too?? So wouldn't the Canon override whatever Legends is there? So wouldn't Legends Grevious not apply?

UCanShootMyNova
As far as I know the Legend timeline doesn't contradict those showings.

Zenwolf
But the character is contradicted?

So then what about Sing and Luke? I don't see how both continuities apply, when they seem really different compared to Legends.

UCanShootMyNova
How is the character contradicted?

If a character is completely contradicted in the case of Luke you just can't really use any of his post RotJ Legends feats.

Zenwolf
How is the character contradicted?

If a character is completely contradicted in the case of Luke you just can't really use any of his post RotJ Legends feats.

Well Grevious in Legends, always seemed like...well he wasn't one to be an idiot and just dilly dally..or from what I've read.

Well I was meaning more Rebellion era Luke, his Canon incarnation doesn't really fit well with his Legends....before his training with Yoda I mean. Or at least that's what I'm seeing.

UCanShootMyNova
As far as I know the only novels Grievous appears in in Legends are LoE and RotS which are a good while after the Clone Wars.

I think he may also appear in the Boba Fett series though I don't know when that one takes place.

Again, discard Legends feats where they contradict canon.

Zenwolf
As far as I know the only novels Grievous appears in in Legends are LoE and RotS which are a good while after the Clone Wars.

I think he may also appear in the Boba Fett series though I don't know when that one takes place.

Again, discard Legends feats where they contradict canon.

But see, if they contradict, I don't see why they have it both Canon & Legends apply when the Legends half would have to be disregarded for a lot of things.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by Zenwolf
But see, if they contradict, I don't see why they have it both Canon & Legends apply when the Legends half would have to be disregarded for a lot of things.

Maybe they don't really think about it when posting the threads.

Zenwolf
Maybe they don't really think about it when posting the threads.

I guess...I dunno, it's just something that kinda irks me, cause then it's like...well how do you debate this?

ares834
Jesus dude. You're way overthinking it. Just use the feats for both.

UCanShootMyNova
He makes valid points though. What do you do when there's direct contradictions?

ares834
Like what? Anyway, you just use both feats regardless of contradictions.

UCanShootMyNova
Like statements that Rebels was Vader's prime in canon and RotJ was his logical prime in Legends.

|King Joker|
It'd be kind of impossible to use a composite Quinlan Vos, for example, but you can work with most other characters.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by |King Joker|
It'd be kind of impossible to use a composite Quinlan Vos, for example, but with most other characters you can work with.
thumb up

UCanShootMyNova
It'd be kind of impossible to use a composite Quinlan Vos, for example, but you can work with most other characters.

Why?

ares834
Like statements that Rebels was Vader's prime in canon and RotJ was his logical prime in Legends.

Well Rebels being Vader's prime isn't canon. Regardless, it's ultimately quite moot. You simply take all of his feats as canon and assess from there.

|King Joker|
Why? Because usually the quality in feats aren't that different in quality / consistency between the continuities.

UCanShootMyNova
Because usually the quality in feats aren't that different in quality / consistency between the continuities.

He's not that far off imo. Especially if we take into account time has passed in between when Vos beat Sora and then Dooku.

UCanShootMyNova
Originally posted by ares834
Well Rebels being Vader's prime isn't canon. Regardless, it's ultimately quite moot. You simply take all of his feats as canon and assess from there.

It's confirmed by Filoni.

ares834
Which isn't canon.

Azronger
Use feats from both continuities, even if they contradict each other from a story perspective.

Beniboybling
The general policy regarding Legends/Canon composite is that you use their best showings from both as the standard. Personally I think we should simply operate under he assumption that Canon overrides Legends where there is a contradiction but that's just me.

Regardless you are getting muddled by mixing narrative events with feats, Vader may have never collapsed a cathedral in Canon, but that doesn't mean it's an accurate representation of what he can do, so they are easy to blend it that way.

UCanShootMyNova
thumb up Beni has the right of it.

Sometimes when it gets complicated you just take all the feats they have and cram it together making sense of it if you can.

Zenwolf
thumb up Beni has the right of it.

Sometimes when it gets complicated you just take all the feats they have and cram it together making sense of it if you can.

But trying to make sense of it just...doesn't really work as I see it for some material.

If you compare TCW characters to Legends CW material, you'll see difference in overall power, dueling, strength, durability and so on.

So...how do you cram those things together and make sense of it??

UCanShootMyNova
Use logical assumption.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.