What do you make of Luke's feat against Palpatine?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
In the Dark Empire audio drama, when Luke is dueling Sidious, Leia notes the following:

"The Force so strong... They're both moving so fast I can hardly see them... I-I feel waves of power... the dark side and the light... But... I feel... the light is winning!"

Was Luke overpowering Sidious in the Force? It couldn't have been in reference to lightsaber combat because Leia specifically noted she can't see them move, and the clashing of lightsabers doesn't produce ripples in the Force.

What are your thoughts?

SunRazer
You can sense who's getting stronger or weaker (or more desperate) in the Force.

Besides, Luke was being amped here.

Azronger
Leia didn't make note of any emotions.

And no, Luke wasn't amped. The nexus of the Eclipse would've counter-balanced Leia's BM.

Ursumeles
Originally posted by SunRazer
You can sense who's getting stronger or weaker (or more desperate) in the Force.

Besides, Luke was being amped here.
thumb up

SunRazer
It's an audio drama, you can only get so much information out of it/they only have so much time to talk. The fact is that you can sense people winning and losing fights through the Force. This isn't anything new.

Based on what? Leia's BM was capable of hurting even Palpatine. And it appears that BM transcends nexuses in the SW mythos - Satele's BM took precedence over Yavin IV's nexus, Worror's BM took precedence over the nexus of Belia Darzu's fortress, Bastila Shan's BM took precedence over the Star Forge's nexus, etc.

I've yet to see an instance of the reverse or equalization.

Azronger
Well, based on the information we have, Luke and Sidious were radiating Force energy, not emotions. And they had plenty of time to put another line in there, so that's not a valid excuse. If they wanted Leia to sense their emotions, they would've put it in. Based on her noting their strength in the Force, I think it's referring to power. I'm going with what is in the audio drama, not what isn't there.

The examples you listed - is it actually specifically noted they took precedence over the nexi? If not, then we've no reason to assume they did. If yes, then it's simply because they were more potent than the specific nexus in question. Something I doubt Leia's accidental and elementary BM was compared to the greatest nexus she had ever felt (note: she has been on Byss, which is more potent than Sidious himself as of RotJ).

SunRazer
You don't need to sense emotions to tell who's getting stronger.

Yes, it is noted that they took precedence. Every single time.

chingchangwalla
Palpatine takes pity on Luke and goes easy as always. He's a nice man old Sheev

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Azronger
Leia didn't make note of any emotions.

And no, Luke wasn't amped. The nexus of the Eclipse would've counter-balanced Leia's BM. No it wouldn't :/

Trocity
The nexus of the Eclipse

Has this been confirmed?

Mind posting a quote or something, if you can?

Azronger
You don't need to sense emotions to tell who's getting stronger.

Your point?

My point still stands. Mind posting the quotes, though?

Azronger
Originally posted by chingchangwalla
Palpatine takes pity on Luke and goes easy as always. He's a nice man old Sheev

Based on the fact that your only response was a (bad) joke, I take it you couldn't muster a sufficient rebuttal. Care to prove me wrong?

ares834
Luke wasn't amped. It's only after the duel that Leia amps him.

From the audio drama, "But we can Luke. We can do it. That's what the holocron meant. Let me add my power to yours."

Azronger
Originally posted by Trocity
Has this been confirmed?

Mind posting a quote or something, if you can?

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11128/111282615/5395365-the+eclipse+is+a+dark+side+nexus.png

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ares834

From the audio drama, "But we can Luke. We can do it. That's what the holocron meant. Let me add my power to yours." So DE Luke > Sidious?

ares834
In a saber duel? Yes.

Fated Xtasy
In a saber duel? Yes.

Even tho he utterly stomped Luke?

ares834
Not in the second duel. The previous one was on Byss which Palaptine described as "the very heart of the dark side."

Azronger
People are really fond of taking things out of context. Byss is a ****ing gargantuan nexus.

NewGuy01
Not in the second duel. The previous one was on Byss which Palaptine described as "the very heart of the dark side."

And apparently according to Leia, the Eclipse was even worse, even though that contradicts the end notes.

The Ellimist
Desean > JA Luke > DE Luke > Wankatine lmao

The_Tempest
Originally posted by NewGuy01
And apparently according to Leia, the Eclipse was even worse, even though that contradicts the end notes.

Or the dark side presence within the ship is Sheev, whom both the comic and the endnotes identify as a dark side nexus.

Azronger
Originally posted by NewGuy01

Quote for the end notes?

Azronger
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Desean > JA Luke > DE Luke > Wankatine lmao

The Desann fight was circumstantial, but I'm sure you already know that. I'm also not arguing DE Luke > DE Sidious, because the latter still beats him in Force versatility. And then he grows even more powerful in DE II, where it seems he's surpassed Luke in raw power once more.

SunRazer
Your point?

My point still stands. Mind posting the quotes, though?

My point being that your obsession over sensing emotions is unnecessary.

Bastila turned the tide against the Star Forge's defenses with her Battle Meditation, even when she did it within the SF, which meant she'd be hindered.

The character has "greatly enhanced combat efficiency" or some such in SoR, even when Satele was using BM on the dark side nexus of Yavin IV. In RoT, the Jedi don't note being obstructed by the nexus, but instead note being enhanced by Worror's Meditation. It's not hard to imagine which took precedence.

A passive concentration of Force energies in an area shouldn't be overriding active Force powers erm

Trocity
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Or the dark side presence within the ship is Sheev, whom both the comic and the endnotes identify as a dark side nexus.

thumb up

SunRazer
I'm pretty sure the comic makes it clear that Leia's sensing the Emperor.

The Ellimist
The Desann fight was circumstantial, but I'm sure you already know that. I'm also not arguing DE Luke > DE Sidious, because the latter still beats him in Force versatility. And then he grows even more powerful in DE II, where it seems he's surpassed Luke in raw power once more.

Wait, Palpatine grows more powerful in Empire's End? I thought he was weakening by that point.

SunRazer
Empire's End is DE III.

The Ellimist
^ oh ok, I remembered it as DE and EE I/II, but apparently not.

SunRazer
DE, DE II and EE.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by The_Tempest
thumb up

S_W_LeGenD
People should keep in mind that Palpatine was using the cloned bodies to interact with the external environment during Dark Empire saga. His cloned bodies would deteriorate from exposure to his Dark practices with passage of time. And that in turn would compromise his effectiveness in combat situations.

Palpatine defeated Luke Skywalker in a battle, using a fresh cloned body. Not sure how fresh his cloned body was during his second confrontation with Luke on Eclipse.

Later, Palpatine failed to subdue even Leia Organa Solo in a confrontation with a massively deteriorated clone, and aimed for her newborn son to possess afterwards.

chingchangwalla
Based on the fact that your only response was a (bad) joke, I take it you couldn't muster a sufficient rebuttal. Care to prove me wrong?
Hardly a joke, but you're right

Azronger
My point being that your obsession over sensing emotions is unnecessary.

What "obsession"? I was arguing against Leia sensing emotions from Luke and Sidious.

Of course she was since she wasn't amping herself to counter the nexus. And she was affecting the fleet outside the Forge, wasn't she? So I don't get what the nexus has to do with things that aren't in the proximity.

Fair enough.

Yes they should if the "passive concentration of Force energies" are more potent than the "active Force powers", and vice versa, or in more simple terms, 2 > 1. This is basic logic.

SunRazer
Well, Leia's a Skywalker. She's got more raw power than any passive concentration of Force energies. And her Battle Meditation was hurting DE Palpatine.

Azronger
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
People should keep in mind that Palpatine was using the cloned bodies to interact with the external environment during Dark Empire saga. His cloned bodies would deteriorate from exposure to his Dark practices with passage of time. And that in turn would compromise his effectiveness in combat situations.

Palpatine defeated Luke Skywalker in a battle, using a fresh cloned body. Not sure how fresh his cloned body was during his second confrontation with Luke on Eclipse.

Later, Palpatine failed to subdue even Leia Organa Solo in a confrontation with a massively deteriorated clone, and aimed for her newborn son to possess afterwards.

This is a misconception that needs clearing up. His bodies in DE II deteriorated at such a fast rate because of genetic manipulation, not because of Sidious' dark side power. This is explained in Crimson Empire. The body he uses in DE II is weaker than the one in DE I.

So no, he wasn't hindered when he fought Luke.

Azronger
Well, Leia's a Skywalker. She's got more raw power than any passive concentration of Force energies. And her Battle Meditation was hurting DE Palpatine.

DE Leia > RotJ Sidious? Because the Eclipse is > RotJ Sidious.

And her BM in DE I was passive. Only in EE did she deliberately try to hurt Sidious.

Azronger
No rebuttals have been made.

MythLord
Give it time. People probably just don't have the time.

Darth Thor
Or sometimes the thread gets lost under tons of other threads and you forget about it

The Ellimist
No rebuttals have been made.

What about Tempest's?

Ursumeles
What about Tempest's?
Please don't say that Tempest makes something. He proclaims something, he prophecies something!
Thank you.

Azronger
What about Tempest's?

It was just a theory that could be true, or could not. There's not really a way to know.

Darth Thor
Tempest made a completely valid point. Just because the dark side is strong in a place doesn't make that place a Nexus. That dark side energy could easily be coming from a person. A dark sider.

For instance Leia senses Darth Maul's dark side presence on Naboo decades after he was there.

So for a place to prove itself as a dark side Nexus, it needs to pass the test of "is it still a Nexus with no dark siders being there" first.

Azronger
Well, the text said There is no glimmer of hope in this ship... only the dark side of the Force... more powerful than ever.

Now please tell me why it referred to Sidious, and not the Eclipse.

Darth Thor
^ Well was Palpatine not on the ship?

Azronger
Yes, on the ship, but not in it.

Darth Thor

What he was sat on top of it on the outside? (Don't have DE on me so can't check exactly where he was).

Azronger
In the English language, the right way to say is on the ship, or on the bus, etc. not "in". If they wanted Leia to be sensing Sidious, they would've put it in the text, grammatically correct.

Darth Thor
^ No not necessarily.

Tell me how do you think a Ship becomes a dark side Nexus?

Azronger
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ No not necessarily.

No, but it's way more probable than them simply having bad grammar. Using that as an argument is desperation.

It's likely Sidious had embedded it with the dark side.

Darth Thor
No, but it's way more probable than them simply having bad grammar. Using that as an argument is desperation.

Lol what? Having Leia Indirectly sense Palpatine's power is not bad grammar. And neither is it a desperate conclusion. It's actually quite logical.

It's likely Sidious had embedded it with the dark side.

Yes most likely by his mere presence.

Azronger
Lol what? Having Leia Indirectly sense Palpatine's power is not bad grammar. And neither is it a desperate conclusion. It's actually quite logical.

Yes most likely by his mere presence.

Sidious doesn't transform everything he walks on into a nexus the magnitude of the Eclipse. He must've manually made it a nexus, which makes it separate from his power. Leia was sensing, and the text was referring to the ship.

Darth Thor
^ No Leia was just sensing the power of the dark side coming from Palpatine's ship. That doesn't mean the ship itself was a dark side Nexus without Palpatine's presence.

Now it's possible Palpatine did some ritual and made it a dark side power over many years like he did on Byss. But seems unlikely to me he would do rituals like that to power a ship. It seems more likely that a place where Palpatine hangs out a lot would naturally give out a heavy dark side signature.

However it seems clear you're unwilling to accept that possibility, and just expect the rest of us to accept the ship itself is a dark side Nexus.

Azronger
^ No Leia was just sensing the power of the dark side coming from Palpatine's ship. That doesn't mean the ship itself was a dark side Nexus without Palpatine's presence.

Now it's possible Palpatine did some ritual and made it a dark side power over many years like he did on Byss. But seems unlikely to me he would do rituals like that to power a ship. It seems more likely that a place where Palpatine hangs out a lot would naturally give out a heavy dark side signature.

Palpatine's shuttle in EE was a dark side nexus Luke described as "intense," even though Palpatine wasn't there. Now, why wouldn't his flagship be a nexus, if his shuttle was?

I accept that anything's possible. And I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

Geistalt

Azronger
That was only after the duel.

Darth Thor
Palpatine's shuttle in EE was a dark side nexus Luke described as "intense," even though Palpatine wasn't there. Now, why wouldn't his flagship be a nexus, if his shuttle was?

Is "Nexus" specifically mentioned? Or is it just a strong dark side presence from Palpatine's presence? I'm guessing the latter.

Palpatine doesn't even have to be there for his dark side essence to remain. Remember Leia sensing Maul's darkness on Naboo a generation after he fought there.

Azronger
Why does it have to be specifically mentioned to be a nexus? Is there even such a thing as a strong dark side presence that is not a nexus?

quanchi112
Nerds.

The_Tempest

no expression

Nautically appropriate word selections notwithstanding, Palpatine is literally inside the ship. The same Palpatine that the same comic refers to as a dark side nexus. The resurgent strength Leia senses, "more powerful than ever," is Palpatine himself:

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc520/G1d3on91/sidious%20more%20powerful_zpslhscsxq9.png

Besides which, even if we assumed without evidence that the Eclipse is a nexus, you'd have to assume that it would be more powerful than the nexus on Byss, which is absurd.

Azronger
Hm, fair enough.

Azronger
How potent do you think Leia's BM amp was, though?

UCanShootMyNova
The audio drama says it only unlocked hidden reserves within Luke.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
The audio drama says it only unlocked hidden reserves within Luke.

The comic also says that. But area said before according to the radio drama Leia didn't intervene until after the Saber fight.

UCanShootMyNova
Who's area?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by UCanShootMyNova
Who's area?

ares

UCanShootMyNova
Ah.

quanchi112
ares Fool.

The Ellimist
The comic also says that. But area said before according to the radio drama Leia didn't intervene until after the Saber fight.

Really?

Azronger
IMO, it's a completely plausible explanation that it allowed Luke to tap into his potential more, instead of it being a such a massive amp. Luke's feat is legit.

The Ellimist
Yeah but if he tapped into his potential more, it's still not an accurate reflection of his abilities as of DE.

Darth Thor
Really?

From the audio drama, "But we can Luke. We can do it. That's what the holocron meant. Let me add my power to yours."

The Ellimist
Doesn't Luke ask for her to help, and doesn't Leia saying "I already am" or something?

Azronger
Yeah but if he tapped into his potential more, it's still not an accurate reflection of his abilities as of DE.

What's not accurate? That he was besting Sidious in a Force battle?

The Ellimist
What's not accurate? That he was besting Sidious in a Force battle?

If his potential was being unlocked during their duel, it isn't clear that he could've won without that.

Azronger
If his potential was being unlocked during their duel, it isn't clear that he could've won without that.

And? I don't see what the issue is.

The Ellimist
Then it doesn't tell us how good DE Luke really is.

Azronger
You mean before the duel? Better than Yoda, apparently:

http://static1.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11128/111282615/5393739-6788966917-53937.jpg

Darth Thor
Doesn't Luke ask for her to help, and doesn't Leia saying "I already am" or something?

In the comic yeah. Although we don't know from the comic at which point she started helping him. The audio drama apparently suggests it was after the Saber fight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.