Superman Vs Martian Manhunter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
1. Pre 52
2. New 52

Who wins in a fight? Who is more powerful?

Insane Titan
Superman across the board.

riv6672
Almost wish i could read that response. Thanks for posting. thumb up

Insane Titan
Originally posted by riv6672
Almost wish i could read that response. Thanks for posting. thumb up shouldn't be such a pussy troll then you could

riv6672
I love when ignored posters give me attention.
If this thread gets no other responses, it will have been a good day.

Insane Titan
Proven troll

apex_pretador
Martian manhunter doesn't even need TP to stomp superman.

apex_pretador
Oh and inb4 someone says superman stomps.

playa1258
Superman is better across the board.

ghostman

http://36.media.tumblr.com/aac69bf2990ae965ca64e03da7d344f6/tumblr_nm6xedPFcM1rcmalqo4_1280.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/58664/1336364-primvs3.jpg

nnggg

http://i.imgur.com/UJszweu.gif

EcstaticGrace
Originally posted by ghostman

http://36.media.tumblr.com/aac69bf2990ae965ca64e03da7d344f6/tumblr_nm6xedPFcM1rcmalqo4_1280.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/58664/1336364-primvs3.jpg

nnggg

http://i.imgur.com/UJszweu.gif I feel like Kon caught off guard the next page Manchester Black gets his way by saying you probably wouldn't like when the Martian wakes up.

The entire issue for the most part Kon was avoiding J'onn.

cdtm
1. Pre 52
2. New 52

Who wins in a fight? Who is more powerful?

Kitty Pride, Fantomex, Gorgon, and Midnighter cheese with their specials.

But MM, who has the cheat code for every special in the book. No, he loses obviously. http://images.killermovies.com/forums/smilies/roll.gif

EcstaticGrace
Then again as Superboy was coming out of the room he was talking, J'onn should of had his defenses up
Find it all weird.

abhilegend
Originally posted by apex_pretador
Martian manhunter doesn't even need TP to stomp superman.
Stomp Superman? Care to prove that, eh?

leonidas
lol i'd love to see that too.... more importantly: wtF is up with the ss sig and avvy?? you need to stay true to yourself abhi--superman or just leave the f**** thing blank. lol

abhilegend
Apparently J'onn can take down entire JLA+JSA+Anyone not named Flash or Silver Surfer on comicvine. These fine young men are from comicvine of course.

Some people think I hate or having nightmares about Silver Surfer because I don't give him win over everyone. Seemed like a reasonable response.

stick out tongue

carver9
FYI...It was stated that MM at half power is more powerful than Superman. smile

leonidas
Originally posted by abhilegend
Some people think I hate or having nightmares about Silver Surfer because I don't give him win over everyone. Seemed like a reasonable response.

stick out tongue

lol i approve. though i'm not at all sure i like this 'reasonable' abhi. hmm

Cogito
Originally posted by carver9
FYI...It was stated that MM at half power is more powerful than Superman. smile That's cute

abhilegend
FYI...It was stated that MM at half power is more powerful than Superman. smile
By J'onn's evil mental side while he was dreaming?

That's so convincing. Originally posted by leonidas
lol i approve. though i'm not at all sure i like this 'reasonable' abhi. hmm
ha-som

-Pr-
Feats will always beat statements, and Superman will always have better feats.

J'onn's powerset is VASTLY overrated.

Jack of all trades, master of none and so on.

MF DELPH
If Pre 52 J'onn goes into his Fernus persona, sure, he can beat Superman. Standard Manhunter is just a good workout for Supes.

Cogito
^ Same could be said of pre 52 Supes going OWAW on his ass though

riv6672
fun read, thanks KMC.

Apparently J'onn can take down entire JLA+JSA+Anyone not named Flash or Silver Surfer on comicvine. These fine young men are from comicvine of course.

stick out tongue
Thats not UNreasonable. Better than taking someone else's sig, that would just mean you're thinking of them every time you log in. Having said that, i enjoy your Superman sigs, its odd to see you repping someone else.

carver9
By J'onn's evil mental side while he was dreaming?

That's so convincing.
ha-som

This isn't true at all.

abhilegend
This isn't true at all.
Have you read the comic?

iceman24567
Superman everytime

carver9
Have you read the comic?

Lol...you didn't even know about this showing in the past until I brought it up. You kept denying it until I posted the scene. You have no rights to ask me this question.

abhilegend
Lol...you didn't even know about this showing in the past until I brought it up. You kept denying it until I posted the scene. You have no rights to ask me this question.
Seriously? You're posting the scene from JLA when J'onn and entire JLA were trapped inside Firestorm matrix and J'onn was hallucinating in getting out of there with Stargirl and fighting Clayface and shit like that.

It was all a dream Carter.

riv6672
Have you read the comic?
Its one of many verbal ticks, along the lines of:
"Superman wins"
"Holding back"
"Weakened"
"Troll"
"Easily"
And so on. stick out tongue

krisblaze
Originally posted by -Pr-

Bran put it fairly well once.

Manhunter is all offense and no defense.

He might be as strong as Superman, but his durability is something else.

riv6672
Superman's durability is what puts him ahead of many of his peers.
I started a thread here asking if durability or strength was his biggest advantage, and durability is what i believe was repped best.

cdtm

I wouldn't say overrated, really. More like very badly written, to the point where even reasonable scenario's look like some fringe fantasy.

By power set alone, a slightly physically inferior Superman clone with TP, invisibility, phase shifting, and "just below plastic man" shape shifting should be able to beat most purely physical brawlers.

And occasionally, you get good writing that proves it. Ostrander's a big one.. He not only had J'onn hold off the entire league long enough to effect an escape, but had him use his power intelligently in all kinds of circumstances..

Facing a Hulk like brick? No problem, shapeshift into putty and just tank the punch, then engulf the monster. (A tactic proven to work on Superman himself against a White Martian in a JLA story, forcing the desperation tactic of using the Earth's molten core.)

Fighting a New God with a hyperspace sword that could defeat phase shifting? Bust out a form that makes you look like a Lord of the Rings troll mixed with a Lovecraftian horror, that had three arms and a giant shield and a dripping organic hook designed for decapitations (Ostrander turned J'onn into a horrific alien freakshow, which was AWESOME.)

Getting blown up? Just move your soul into your hand, chuck the hand, regrow the hand into a new body.

Superman charging you? Phase shift.

Fighting an amped up, magic enhanced Etrigan at Stonehenge? Go invisible, phase shift through the floor behind him, create giant arsed razor claws from Megaman, PUNCTURE THROUGH ETRIGAN'S CHEST, and then extend the claw into the ground to pin him.

Sure, this is just one series, but how many big feats does Superman bust out on a regular basis in team books? Take away his solo stuff, and you'd get a much less impressive Superman (This goes for almost every character..)

And even then, there's J'onn beating Ultraman with TP. Or the (Admittedly non canon) All Access crossover where he shapeshift's as Captain America to blindside Thor.

None of this is to say J'onn invincible, certainly. But he's not the punching bag many seem to assume, either, even if that's how a ton of writer's make it seem.

But may as well not even have a full capacity rule, and declare Flash the loser against Captain Boomerang if we're going there.. Commonly written ≠ full capacity.

h1a8
Superman due to being a lot faster.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm
I wouldn't say overrated, really. More like very badly written, to the point where even reasonable scenario's look like some fringe fantasy.

By power set alone, a slightly physically inferior Superman clone with TP, invisibility, phase shifting, and "just below plastic man" shape shifting should be able to beat most purely physical brawlers.

And occasionally, you get good writing that proves it. Ostrander's a big one.. He not only had J'onn hold off the entire league long enough to effect an escape, but had him use his power intelligently in all kinds of circumstances..

Facing a Hulk like brick? No problem, shapeshift into putty and just tank the punch, then engulf the monster. (A tactic proven to work on Superman himself against a White Martian in a JLA story, forcing the desperation tactic of using the Earth's molten core.)

Fighting a New God with a hyperspace sword that could defeat phase shifting? Bust out a form that makes you look like a Lord of the Rings troll mixed with a Lovecraftian horror, that had three arms and a giant shield and a dripping organic hook designed for decapitations (Ostrander turned J'onn into a horrific alien freakshow, which was AWESOME.)

Getting blown up? Just move your soul into your hand, chuck the hand, regrow the hand into a new body.

Superman charging you? Phase shift.

Fighting an amped up, magic enhanced Etrigan at Stonehenge? Go invisible, phase shift through the floor behind him, create giant arsed razor claws from Megaman, PUNCTURE THROUGH ETRIGAN'S CHEST, and then extend the claw into the ground to pin him.

Sure, this is just one series, but how many big feats does Superman bust out on a regular basis in team books? Take away his solo stuff, and you'd get a much less impressive Superman (This goes for almost every character..)

And even then, there's J'onn beating Ultraman with TP. Or the (Admittedly non canon) All Access crossover where he shapeshift's as Captain America to blindside Thor.

None of this is to say J'onn invincible, certainly. But he's not the punching bag many seem to assume, either, even if that's how a ton of writer's make it seem.

But may as well not even have a full capacity rule, and declare Flash the loser against Captain Boomerang if we're going there.. Commonly written ≠ full capacity.

TBH, I see your point, but I think you're straying dangerously close to describing what you would do with J'onn's powers, not what he's likely to do. If you aren't there already.

When I spoke about his powerset being overrated, I meant to the extent that people (a lot of them) love to take the opinion that having lots of powers is somehow automatically better than having a small bunch of powers. It isn't an auto win, and tbh, I think people understate the gap in speed and strength between J'onn and Superman.

cdtm
TBH, I see your point, but I think you're straying dangerously close to describing what you would do with J'onn's powers, not what he's likely to do. If you aren't there already.

When I spoke about his powerset being overrated, I meant to the extent that people (a lot of them) love to take the opinion that having lots of powers is somehow automatically better than having a small bunch of powers. It isn't an auto win, and tbh, I think people understate the gap in speed and strength between J'onn and Superman.

Everything I said was things he actually did in the aformentioned Ostrander run. Nothing made up on my part.

Ever seen the scans floating around where J'onn hulks out from Choco withdrawl? Those are from that run. smile (John Ostrander is basically a better built Grant Morrison in that he builds up characters to the moon with feats, but he also has pretty compelling writing. His Spectre run is famous, but he did wonders for Iron Fist and Luke Cage in Heroes for Hire as well..)

-Pr-
Everything I said was things he actually did in the aformentioned Ostrander run. Nothing made up on my part.

Ever seen the scans floating around where J'onn hulks out from Choco withdrawl? Those are from that run. smile (John Ostrander is basically a better built Grant Morrison in that he builds up characters to the moon with feats, but he also has pretty compelling writing. His Spectre run is famous, but he did wonders for Iron Fist and Luke Cage in Heroes for Hire as well..)

I'm talking about how likely he is to do them on a consistent basis.

Yes, I liked Ostrander's run too, but in the grand scope of J'onn, it's as close to an outlier as you can get, sadly.

h1a8
The speed deficit is why Superman wins here

cdtm
I'm talking about how likely he is to do them on a consistent basis.

Yes, I liked Ostrander's run too, but in the grand scope of J'onn, it's as close to an outlier as you can get, sadly.

Point taken.

To be fair, outside of select showings which Ostranders series is among, the Spectre is as big a jobber as anyone, and still gets some respect. (More then J'onn, at any rate.)

If we used that version of J'onn, how would you rate his chances vs a pre or post Nu52 Superman? smile

-Pr-
Point taken.

To be fair, outside of select showings which Ostranders series is among, the Spectre is as big a jobber as anyone, and still gets some respect. (More then J'onn, at any rate.)

If we used that version of J'onn, how would you rate his chances vs a pre or post Nu52 Superman? smile

A lot better, but I still think that Superman will beat him in the end. J'onn has more tools at his disposal, sure, but without going all Fernus, I just don't see it being enough.

riv6672
The character's best known, longest running series is an "outlier".
Ridonculous/agree to disagree.

-Pr-
pr1983

Maybe you should re-read my posts, before being snippy.

riv6672
Maybe you should re-read mine before calling it snippy. stick out tongue

But getting into a pissing match with a mod over semantics is hardly conducive to further posting so, i'll just keep mah trap shut till someone else posts something i find interesting.

-Pr-
You're no fun.

h1a8
Speedkills. Jonn is known to get stunned very easily after a good hit.

riv6672
Is he?

cdtm
Is he?

Only if written by racists. wink

riv6672
D'OH!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.