Bigotry Against Christians

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Why is Bigotry Against Christians the last accepted form of Religious Bigotry?

Emperordmb
Christianity is the majority group in America, and when you're the majority group you get a lot less sympathy than if you're a minority, and the people who hold said majority group in contempt also hold the belief that it's justified because of an imbalance in power.

That's my interpretation anyways.

It does piss me off though when some Christian baker doesn't bake a gay couple a cake and SJW's complain about Christianity being evil, yet a lot of those same people pounce on anyone who shits on Muslims.

Robtard
I honestly don't see how Christianity in the US is being shat upon?

80+% of Americans identify as Christian and Christianity has the largest influence over politics than any other religious group. Or likely group for that matter. Politicians are free to openly declare they're Christian and propose laws and legislature based on their faith.

So what am I missing? Explain.

edit: 80+% might be off, but at least 75% seems to be accepted

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Robtard
I honestly don't see how Christianity in the US is being shat upon? You need to have an 'Other.' Who else makes for the best Other for Christians except for Christian-bashers? No matter how proportionately small their population is.

Surtur
I was raised Catholic and eventually became an atheist and I have a general dislike of all religions, and especially of course Christianity. I do feel some slight sympathy for them because what I see happening a lot is people trying to compare them with Muslims. Or people just using Christians as an excuse to pivot the discussion away from Radical Islam. If you go check the thread about the Orlando shooting you will see people trying to bring Christianity into it.

Since overall, if any religion in the present day were to be Public Enemy #1 it would be Islam.

Time-Immemorial
Actually in America, According to the Clintons, Catholism is public enemy #1, which is why they were hoping to start a "Catholic Spring" in the church.

Surtur
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Actually in America, According to the Clintons, Catholism is public enemy #1, which is why they were hoping to start a "Catholic Spring" in the church.

I'm guessing maybe it's because when it comes to Islamic inspired terrorism we don't suffer that as much here as other countries do. We have certainly suffered terrorist attacks at the hands of Muslims, but luckily we do not live in a country where the dominant religion is Islam.

Time-Immemorial
I'm really not comparing or talking about Islam in this thread.

I'm talking about the accepted bigotry against christians and Catholics.

Stigma

I'm talking about the accepted bigotry against christians and Catholics.
Well, it happens.

Surprisingly from people who think of themselves to be open-minded and liberal, yet are extremely vile when it comes to Christianity.

I am speaking from my own experience in the US too. I was very surprised how limited is the knowledge on Christianity among many liberal, highly educated people who consider themselves atheists.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
I honestly don't see how Christianity in the US is being shat upon?

80+% of Americans identify as Christian and Christianity has the largest influence over politics than any other religious group. Or likely group for that matter. Politicians are free to openly declare they're Christian and propose laws and legislature based on their faith.

So what am I missing? Explain.

edit: 80+% might be off, but at least 75% seems to be accepted

I'm with Rob on this one. I don't get it.

I find it annoying that crazy beliefs are acceptable as long as it's Christianity. The only difference between a 'cult' and a 'religion' is numbers.

Robtard
thumb up

I'd also add "time" to that too. eg give Scientology several hundred years and we'll see where it stands. Though it's on an uphill struggle to shed the cult status and move into the religion bracket, considering when it started. I imagine people where more open to fantasy stories two thousand+ years ago than they are in modern times.

Look at it this way, what if Christianity didn't exist and a group of people tried to push it now. 'Son of god you say?"

Emperordmb
Probably also the fact that Jesus is a much more lit central figure for a religion than a guy who admitted he only started scientology to make money.

Robtard
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Probably also the fact that Jesus is a much more lit central figure for a religion than a guy who admitted he only started scientology to make money.

But with time, things can and do change. What if in 500 years the idea that Hubbard is an actual profit who is floating off in whateverland as an energy-ghost isn't as ridiculous to say a billion people?

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'm with Rob on this one. I don't get it.

I find it annoying that crazy beliefs are acceptable as long as it's Christianity. The only difference between a 'cult' and a 'religion' is numbers.

I would prefer to call them all cults, because that is more or less what they are.

The level of brainwashing can vary. Sometimes it can be really really crazy type stuff, other times it's just bemusing stuff like "you can't eat this certain dish on a Friday because reasons". Somewhere out there a cosmic being is worried about what you eat and on which day you eat it.

Surtur

For me the most sinister thing about Scientology is the money. Like okay yeah at church they will ask you for donations, but for Scientology you legit need money to be a part of it and fully experience it lol. You need to spend money to "move up" to different levels. They also more or less practice segregation(they have special "celebrity" centers).

I have to admit it's kind of a bummer though when you find out certain celebrities are scientologists.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Surtur
I have to admit it's kind of a bummer though when you find out certain celebrities are scientologists.

Yeah, I used to not mind Tom Cruise, but I'm almost to the point where I will boycott anything he's in (I'll probably completely skip Cruise's Mummy remake, for example). Especially after what's-her-name has revealed some crazy shit about Scientology... uh, Leah Remini, that's her name.

Patient_Leech
For some reason Christianity and other big "religions of the book" (Islam, Judaism) are sort of unnaturally 'protected' from criticism, which is wrong. They should be open to debate and scrutiny via empirical evidence like anything else. So if followers of these religions feel offended it's not necessarily that they have personally been attacked, but the potentially dangerous ideas they peddle are under scrutiny. And sorry, they should be openly scrutinized more frequently because they don't hold up.

Ideas matter. That's why the world is in the shape its in with Islamic extremists. Their ideas are dangerous and not based in reality.

Adam Grimes
Yeah, I used to not mind Tom Cruise, but I'm almost to the point where I will boycott anything he's in (I'll probably completely skip Cruise's Mummy remake, for example). Especially after what's-her-name has revealed some crazy shit about Scientology... uh, Leah Remini, that's her name. You mean crazier than usual shit?? I'm curious now. Lol

Patient_Leech

Stigma
For some reason Christianity and other big "religions of the book" (Islam, Judaism) are sort of unnaturally 'protected' from criticism, which is wrong.
Not at all.

I grant you Islam, but that has to do with Leftists and their peculair take on "religion of peace".

Just by observation you'll see that criticism of Christianity is fairly common and books/videos/lectures/blogs etc. on that mattar are easily accesible. In short, you are clearly wrong on that one.

When it comes to Judaism, it's a bit different because it has much, much less adherents, but, again, there is no-one stopping you from criticising it.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Stigma
Just by observation you'll see that criticism of Christianity is fairly common and books/videos/lectures/blogs etc. on that mattar are easily accesible. In short, you are clearly wrong on that one.

When it comes to Judaism, it's a bit different because it has much, much less adherents, but, again, there is no-one stopping you from criticising it.

^ Of course we are allowed to with freedom of speech, but as soon as you open your mouth to criticize ridiculous religious superstitions you'll be accused of religious intolerance or will be called a bigot. No, if an idea has no basis in reality, then it very well should be criticized so that it spreads no further. This is more attributable to social interaction. It's "impolite" to criticize someone's beliefs. Sure, people talk shit about religion on the internet all the time, but you won't have very many friends in real life if you criticize deeply-felt convictions of people in person.

Haven't you ever heard the cliche "it's impolite to talk about politics or religion"? (Mind control propaganda in my opinion.)

Flyattractor
The bigotry probably feels greater then it actually is because the Leftist have the near ENTIRETY of the Media Sources in most of the modern Western World pushing their views and opinions down everyone's throats. And it is a Basic Fact. The LEFT HATES CHRISTIANS. Straight up HATE them.

Emperordmb
I feel like the ultraleftists hate Christianity because it goes against their post-modernist world view, whereas defending Islam and thereby displaying a cultural relativist point of view fits in perfectly with postmodernism.

Flyattractor
Leftists don't like the thought of there being a "Higher Authority" then them. Like the old commie saying goes. "State is Mother. State is Father. STATE is GOD!"

Dark-Kenshin
In my experience, there is no en-masse bigotry against Christians in the US. It's mainly a vocal outspoken minority on the internet and a similarly vocal outspoken minority in Hollywood. Either way, not worth addressing unless you're in the mood to troll (or counter-troll in some cases laughing out loud ).

JesusLovesYou
Why is Bigotry Against Christians the last accepted form of Religious Bigotry?

It's a SPIRITUAL BATTLE FOR SOULS. The devil doesn't care about all of the NUMEROUS world religions. But he (viscerally) HATES Christianity. The devil and his angels (who are already DEFEATED) are working tirelessly to rid the World in general, and America specifically, of all traces of Christianity. That's the short answer. That's why there's this universal INTOLERANCE towards Christianity, that doesn't exist for Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, New Age, etc. Homosexuals in America are free to practice their lifestyle (beliefs) publicly without fear of reprisal or discrimination from state legislators. Children are being introduced to Yoga, indoctrinated with Islam in some PUBLIC (not private) schools, and even required to memorize surahs in the Koran. However, the Name of Jesus is banned from being used in military funerals, public advertisements, graduations, sporting events, from a daily newsletter at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, police department chaplains, in opening state-house sessions, from school poems in memoriam, etc. There is NO POWER in any other Name BUT the Name of Jesus; Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other Name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. This explains why there's such a concerted effort to silence the Name of Jesus in public places.

Adam_PoE
ybH66U72xd0

Flyattractor
Oh yeah because Mahr and Franklin are EXPERTS on the subject....

Beniboybling
Christianity is the majority group in America, and when you're the majority group you're able to whine a lot louder. thumb up

Flyattractor
What? I couldn't hear you over the SJW Breakdowns and AntiFa Riots!?

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Something, something LEFTISTS!!!

socool8520
Well, it happens.

Surprisingly from people who think of themselves to be open-minded and liberal, yet are extremely vile when it comes to Christianity.

I am speaking from my own experience in the US too. I was very surprised how limited is the knowledge on Christianity among many liberal, highly educated people who consider themselves atheists.

I don't think you have to know everything about Christianity to be an Atheist. If you don't believe in something, why would you want to become an expert of it? I know enough of the Bible for me to conclude that imo, it doesn't make sense, but I definitely couldn't recite it for you verse for verse.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by socool8520
I don't think you have to know everything about Christianity to be an Atheist. If you don't believe in something, why would you want to become an expert of it? I know enough of the Bible for me to conclude that imo, it doesn't make sense, but I definitely couldn't recite it for you verse for verse.
And that's fair enough, but if somebody is going to make a point out of acting against Christianity they should at least know their shit.

Beniboybling
I agree. If you are prepared to disbelieve in THE LORD be prepared to receive DIVINE RETRIBUTION from his followers.

socool8520
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I agree. If you are prepared to disbelieve in THE LORD be prepared to receive DIVINE RETRIBUTION from his followers.

What does Divine Retribution entail?

socool8520
And that's fair enough, but if somebody is going to make a point out of acting against Christianity they should at least know their shit.

You should know the basics sure.

ESB -1138

Adam Grimes
Poor christians :'(

socool8520
Obviously Christians are going to be persecuted/harmed in the places you mentioned. They're actively hostile areas. Why would Christians even go there? I wouldn't walk into the women's restroom and not expect it to go over poorly.

ESB -1138
Obviously Christians are going to be persecuted/harmed in the places you mentioned. They're actively hostile areas. Why would Christians even go there? I wouldn't walk into the women's restroom and not expect it to go over poorly.

It's not necessarily Christians are going to those places but Christians who happen to live in those places and some of those places (such as North Korea) makes it difficult for them to even leave.

socool8520
Originally posted by ESB -1138
It's not necessarily Christians are going to those places but Christians who happen to live in those places and some of those places (such as North Korea) makes it difficult for them to even leave.

Regardless of circumstance, it doesn't change the fact that those are openly hostile areas for the most part. I'm not saying it's right (it certainly isn't), but it does skew things a bit.

Muslims are going to find problems and persecution if they go to a Christian based nation as well. It's just the way it is. From my understanding, most Religions preach tolerance, but it's followers fail to do so.

ESB -1138
Regardless of circumstance, it doesn't change the fact that those are openly hostile areas for the most part. I'm not saying it's right (it certainly isn't), but it does skew things a bit.

Muslims are going to find problems and persecution if they go to a Christian based nation as well. It's just the way it is. From my understanding, most Religions preach tolerance, but it's followers fail to do so.

Muslims are in plenty of Christian nations. Muslims even live in Israel which is heavily Jewish. Islam doesn't preach tolerance at all. And are all Christians perfect? No. But Jesus was. Are all Muslims terrorists? No. But Muhammad was.

socool8520
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Muslims are in plenty of Christian nations. Muslims even live in Israel which is heavily Jewish. Islam doesn't preach tolerance at all. And are all Christians perfect? No. But Jesus was. Are all Muslims terrorists? No. But Muhammad was.

And there isn't peaceful coexistence in Israel either. Also, you can find passages that relate to tolerance in the Islamic faith, but you seem biased so I guess that's that.

MovieFreak92
I think Emperordmb got it in one.

Christianity is deemed the root of a lot of bigotry in the West, and so many feel justified in attacking it.

I think they're 100% wrong, that Christianity is actually the biggest weapon against bigotry, and that it's wrong to attack it, but that's just me.

Patient_Leech
It's unfortunate that people are persecuted around the world for holding certain beliefs, but that doesn't change the fact that bad ideas can and should be challenged by reason and rationality. People should not be persecuted, but ideas should be challenged in a reasonable and rational manner.

It's not bigotry to reasonably and politely challenged unjustified ideas about the world, especially when such ideas are the source of so much suffering in the world.

Greatest I am
Both Christianity and Islam have basically developed into intolerant, homophobic and misogynous religions. Both religions have grown themselves by the sword instead of good deeds.

Jesus said we would know his people by their works and deeds. That means Jesus would not recognize Christians and Muslims as his people, and neither do I.

Does that make me an equal opportunity bigot?

Regards
DL

Emperordmb
How is the Christian world (at least in the west) misogynistic?

NewGuy01
I agree with DMB; that statement is incorrect. Christianity and Islam were intolerant, homophobic, and misogynistic to begin with. Their "development" (at least in the west) has only served to mellow the original interpretations of the holy texts. How exactly did you come to the conclusion that things have somehow gotten worse than they were before? Don't quote me on this I suppose, but I'm pretty sure that Christianity on the whole is more egalitarian now than it's ever been.

Adam_PoE

Ask the sitting Vice President, who cannot be in a room alone with any woman who is not his wife.

socool8520

Well, there's the unequal pay for one.

Emperordmb
Really... the wage gap myth? And even if there were a wage gap how is that tied to Christian ideology?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Ask the sitting Vice President, who cannot be in a room alone with any woman who is not his wife.
I'm asking for a trend, you're giving me one person who isn't representative of Christianity as a whole, and not explaining how that's tied to Christianity.

That would be like me citing a misogynistic atheist and saying that proves atheists are misogynistic.

socool8520
The Bible itself had many misogynistic tones in it, putting men above women. This has carried forward for quite some time now. Do you truly believe women are treated equally to men? I don't think it is as big of a problem as it was before, but it is still there,

cdtm
Originally posted by MovieFreak92
I think Emperordmb got it in one.

Christianity is deemed the root of a lot of bigotry in the West, and so many feel justified in attacking it.

I think they're 100% wrong, that Christianity is actually the biggest weapon against bigotry, and that it's wrong to attack it, but that's just me.

Well, speaking of the west, the Right being vocal proponants of Christianity probably has something to do with that, too.

If a majority of practicing muslim's started voting for the Republican party and adopted part of their rhetoric, I wonder if the Left would continue to argue in their religions defense..

Emperordmb
Originally posted by cdtm
Well, speaking of the west, the Right being vocal proponants of Christianity probably has something to do with that, too.

If a majority of practicing muslim's started voting for the Republican party and adopted part of their rhetoric, I wonder if the Left would continue to argue in their religions defense..
the irony being that the majority or at least half of the democratic party identifies as Christian... but that just doesn't count for some reason.

Say what you will about challenging ideologies, and I agree they should be challenged... but some of the left's fixation with shitting on Christianity is a rather poor political gambit given that they risk alienating one of if not the largest demographic in the country.

cdtm
Well, it happens.

thumb up

As was I. And about a number of other subjects, as well.

But the one thing everybody glosses over when it comes to politics, is that it's practiced by people.. And people are generally arrogant. And intelligence does not mitigate this (If anything, it makes you even more of an arse.)

Think Zuckerberg or Steve Jobs being very intelligent, yet also an obnoxious arsehole opportunist, which pretty much describes the brain trusts keeping poltics so polarized..

Emperordmb
The Bible itself had many misogynistic tones in it, putting men above women. This has carried forward for quite some time now.
Yes there were, and that's a reason why I am not a biblical inerrantist, however, that still doesn't prove that the actual practicing Christians in western culture have an overall problem with misogyny. I have heard several Christians cite the Bible in argumentation that homosexuality is wrong and that same sex marriage shouldn't be legal, and I have met numerous Christians who are closeminded, so I won't deny those are significant trends within the western Christian populace even if I've met plenty of good Christians who aren't intolerant or homophobic. It is completely fair to suggest there is a homophobic or closeminded trend in western Christianity, and the debate over gay marriage is an actual good example of this you can give me.

What I have never in all of my days going to two different churches, going to a religious education class, living in a Christian household and a massive Christian extended family with a few nun great aunts and a priest uncle, interacting with various other Christians at my schools, joining a Christian group on campus, seeing Christians debate online say on youtube, etc. I have never witnessed a single Christian legitimately try and argue that women are lesser than men from a theological basis or seen Christians arguing from a Christian standpoint that women should be second class citizens with less rights.

Do you truly believe women are treated equally to men? I don't think it is as big of a problem as it was before, but it is still there,
Not in every instance, and there are negative attitudes people have in society towards both sexes, but overall, yes women absolutely have equal rights and equal opportunities in western nations.

The wage gap has been debunked so hard no economist takes it seriously. When people purport "the wage gap" they just take the average of men and women's earnings without even remotely taking into account difference in hours worked, difference in career or position within that career, time taken off for maternity leave, difference in negotiation tactics, etc. which doesn't remotely prove women are getting paid less for the same work, in fact we've had laws against this for a while.

In fact at least in the UK and US iirc, more women are going to college, more women are going to grad school, and female college graduates under thirty are making more than their male counterparts.

When it comes to the law women are not second class citizens, and I would challenge you to cite a single right men have in western society that women still don't have.

Sure women are more sexualized, some people take women less seriously and view them as less strong overly emotional etc, women aren't as present as the lead characters in media such as movies, women are more often victims of rape and domestic abuse, certainly there are things women have rougher, but at the same time there are also things men have rougher. In a time of war men could be drafted against their will to fight and die for the government, men so much less often get custody of children in divorce, men are more often the victims of violent crimes, prostate cancer has much less funding than breast cancer, and men receive disproportionately larger sentences for the same crimes in comparison to women.

Now I'm not a ****ing MRA, because I think identity politics in modern western society is childishly narcissistic and inherently divisive, but it's obvious that both men and women have unique problems and it would be foolish to say that one of the sexes are treated as second class citizens or that one is oppressed while the other is the oppressor.

cdtm
Yes there were, and that's a reason why I am not a biblical inerrantist, however, that still doesn't prove that the actual practicing Christians in western culture have an overall problem with misogyny. I have heard several Christians cite the Bible in argumentation that homosexuality is wrong and that same sex marriage shouldn't be legal, and I have met numerous Christians who are closeminded, so I won't deny those are significant trends within the western Christian populace even if I've met plenty of good Christians who aren't intolerant or homophobic. It is completely fair to suggest there is a homophobic or closeminded trend in western Christianity, and the debate over gay marriage is an actual good example of this you can give me.

What I have never in all of my days going to two different churches, going to a religious education class, living in a Christian household and a massive Christian extended family with a few nun great aunts and a priest uncle, interacting with various other Christians at my schools, joining a Christian group on campus, seeing Christians debate online say on youtube, etc. I have never witnessed a single Christian legitimately try and argue that women are lesser than men from a theological basis or seen Christians arguing from a Christian standpoint that women should be second class citizens with less rights.

Not in every instance, and there are negative attitudes people have in society towards both sexes, but overall, yes women absolutely have equal rights and equal opportunities in western nations.

The wage gap has been debunked so hard no economist takes it seriously. When people purport "the wage gap" they just take the average of men and women's earnings without even remotely taking into account difference in hours worked, difference in career or position within that career, time taken off for maternity leave, difference in negotiation tactics, etc. which doesn't remotely prove women are getting paid less for the same work, in fact we've had laws against this for a while.

In fact at least in the UK and US iirc, more women are going to college, more women are going to grad school, and female college graduates under thirty are making more than their male counterparts.

When it comes to the law women are not second class citizens, and I would challenge you to cite a single right men have in western society that women still don't have.

Sure women are more sexualized, some people take women less seriously and view them as less strong overly emotional etc, women aren't as present as the lead characters in media such as movies, women are more often victims of rape and domestic abuse, certainly there are things women have rougher, but at the same time there are also things men have rougher. In a time of war men could be drafted against their will to fight and die for the government, men so much less often get custody of children in divorce, men are more often the victims of violent crimes, prostate cancer has much less funding than breast cancer, and men receive disproportionately larger sentences for the same crimes in comparison to women.

Men work more hazardous occupations, as well.

The hard truth is men at the top reap plenty of benefits, while men at the bottom or near the lower middle are treated as a disposable class. Plenty of protest over the former, but I've never heard a single liberal argue in support of the latter (Not since the unions lost all their power, anyways..)

socool8520

They never had to really. People of the Christian faith had already implemented women's status as lower early on. It was inherent for future generations. Women's suffrage was a thing. This was going on in western, Christian civilizations. A few quotes of the Bible gave them the right to restrict the rights of women. Submit to your husbands, Be silent, etc. It has been relatively recent that things have started to change. Admittedly, places like the EU are moving along quickly which is great, but those attitudes still exist.

Yes, so do African Americans, but you and I both know that just because they have equal opportunities on paper, that does not make it so.

The draft thing in itself is exclusive. lol Sure we did it to protect women, but is that not misogynistic of us to assume they can't handle themselves in a war? We have guns now. the playing field has been somewhat leveled.

socool8520
Men work more hazardous occupations, as well.

The hard truth is men at the top reap plenty of benefits, while men at the bottom or near the lower middle are treated as a disposable class. Plenty of protest over the former, but I've never heard a single liberal argue in support of the latter (Not since the unions lost all their power, anyways..)

It is an issue that definitely should be brought up. It's really why I don't affiliate myself with a specific party. I feel like the two Primary parties have some good points and some bad points. I assume it's to hit their target demographic, but it is what it is I guess

Emperordmb
They never had to really. People of the Christian faith had already implemented women's status as lower early on. It was inherent for future generations. Women's suffrage was a thing. This was going on in western, Christian civilizations. A few quotes of the Bible gave them the right to restrict the rights of women. Submit to your husbands, Be silent, etc. It has been relatively recent that things have started to change. Admittedly, places like the EU are moving along quickly which is great, but those attitudes still exist.
It's been going on in every society, and where do you think those misogynistic attitudes came from? Do you truly think that without Christianity misogynistic attitudes in the past wouldn't have been a thing? Because it's so much more likely that those attitudes resulted from the (on average) greater physical strength and more assertive nature of masculine psychology.

Plus, that doesn't prove that modern Christianity is motivating misogyny even if you can argue that the current attitudes in the culture came from Christianity in the past.

Yes, so do African Americans, but you and I both know that just because they have equal opportunities on paper, that does not make it so.
Except quite a few examples that people give of African Americans being oppressed are even more applicable to men. People cite Black people being disproportionately unjustly killed by police relative to white people... men are even more disproportionately unjustly killed by police relative to women. People cite black people getting disproportionately larger sentences in court in comparison to white people, but the difference between the sentences for men and women is significantly larger than that between black and white people. People cite black people disproportionately living in poverty in comparison to white people, and the same comparison can be drawn with more men living in poverty than women.

And the one example you've actually provided me with is the wage gap which has been debunked so many times it's not even funny. In fact it's quite frankly disturbing that the wage gap myth continues to circulate.

We live in a society where women face unique issues, as do men, but we do not live in a society where women are oppressed.

The draft thing in itself is exclusive. lol Sure we did it to protect women, but is that not misogynistic of us to assume they can't handle themselves in a war? We have guns now. the playing field has been somewhat leveled.
You aren't seriously arguing that the assumption that women can't handle themselves in war is more of an injustice towards women then literally forcing men to fight suffer and die in the horrors of war without their consent is towards men are you?

Sure you could argue part of that is misogynist, but that example is so much more harmful to men than women it's laughable to say that isn't an example where men have it significantly worse.

socool8520
It's been going on in every society, and where do you think those misogynistic attitudes came from? Do you truly think that without Christianity misogynistic attitudes in the past wouldn't have been a thing? Because it's so much more likely that those attitudes resulted from the (on average) greater physical strength and more assertive nature of masculine psychology.

Plus, that doesn't prove that modern Christianity is motivating misogyny even if you can argue that the current attitudes in the culture came from Christianity in the past.

I never said that other societies are not misogynistic, in fact I whole-heartedly agree that they are. More so than the west. You simply implied that the Western Christian society was not misogynistic. I don't believe that is wholly true.

Since I believe that the masculine psych was the creator of the Bible, I find them to be one and the same. A tool to push the male superiority on women. Again, we are correcting this, but the attitudes are still there.

Except quite a few examples that people give of African Americans being oppressed are even more applicable to men. People cite Black people being disproportionately unjustly killed by police relative to white people... men are even more disproportionately unjustly killed by police relative to women. People cite black people getting disproportionately larger sentences in court in comparison to white people, but the difference between the sentences for men and women is significantly larger than that between black and white people. People cite black people disproportionately living in poverty in comparison to white people, and the same comparison can be drawn with more men living in poverty than women.

This point was to merely point out that even though something is equal on paper, it is not so in practice.

cdtm
I never said that other societies are not misogynistic, in fact I whole-heartedly agree that they are. More so than the west. You simply implied that the Western Christian society was not misogynistic. I don't believe that is wholly true.

Since I believe that the masculine psych was the creator of the Bible, I find them to be one and the same. A tool to push the male superiority on women. Again, we are correcting this, but the attitudes are still there.

This point was to merely point out that even though something is equal on paper, it is not so in practice.

You know what they say about putting a group of people in a room, and one of them dominating the rest..

Is the bible a tool to subjugate women? Or is the subjegation of women at the time, a necessary pre-condition to subjugate the many?

If the bible proclaimed women and men as equals, would that have lead to restlessness and revolt, so the people on top of this institution wouldn't be able to maintain their control?

Looking at the world today though, I'd argue that religious function has sailed... Men and women are all chasing that american dream now, and only the biggest losers openly promote that old rhetoric (The winners are too busy installing graniite top counters and that new garden path for their grand kids next visit.. Something the very successful women of the family picked out herself, as her school teacher retireee idiot husband doesn't like to argue with her.. This is a family I actually know, btw. smile )

socool8520
And the one example you've actually provided me with is the wage gap which has been debunked so many times it's not even funny. In fact it's quite frankly disturbing that the wage gap myth continues to circulate.

We live in a society where women face unique issues, as do men, but we do not live in a society where women are oppressed.

I looked at some articles and you are correct that the 79 cents to the dollar does not tell the whole story, but there are several articles that do hint at a bias in the workplace against women. Here are a couple I was reading.

https://thinkprogress.org/women-with-the-same-qualifications-as-men-get-passed-over-for-promotion-aea41dbea83d

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/aug/23/gender-pay-gap-average-18-per-cent-less-uk-women

I find the idea that women with children are looked at unfavorably in the workforce but men are not. It seems pretty misogynistic to me. it's like we still expect women to stay in the home which is versed in the Christian Bible. Christianity being the major Religion influencing western civilization.

You aren't seriously arguing that the assumption that women can't handle themselves in war is more of an injustice towards women then literally forcing men to fight suffer and die in the horrors of war without their consent is towards men are you?

Sure you could argue part of that is misogynist, but that example is so much more harmful to men than women it's laughable to say that isn't an example where men have it significantly worse.

You're missing the point. It is exclusive. I didn't say that men don't ever draw the short end of the stick. That's clearly not true. What I'm saying is that that rule was made due to a misogynistic idea that we must protect women because they can not protect themselves.

socool8520
You know what they say about putting a group of people in a room, and one of them dominating the rest..

Is the bible a tool to subjugate women? Or is the subjegation of women at the time, a necessary pre-condition to subjugate the many?

If the bible proclaimed women and men as equals, would that have lead to restlessness and revolt, so the people on top of this institution wouldn't be able to maintain their control?

It is irrelevant in my opinion. They were still delegating women to a lesser level than men. To me, it would have made Christianity seem more based on the words of a Perfect being if equality had been a tenant from the very onset of the Religion.

Looking at the world today though, I'd argue that religious function has sailed... Men and women are all chasing that american dream now, and only the biggest losers openly promote that old rhetoric (The winners are too busy installing graniite top counters and that new garden path for their grand kids next visit.. Something the very successful women of the family picked out herself, as her school teacher retireee idiot husband doesn't like to argue with her.. This is a family I actually know, btw. smile )

I have stated that their has been progress, but that we are not where we should be on this issue just yet as is the case with racism and religious tolerance.

socool8520
It is irrelevant in my opinion. They were still delegating women to a lesser level than men. To me, it would have made Christianity seem more based on the words of a Perfect being if equality had been a tenant from the very onset of the Religion.

I have stated that their has been progress, but that we are not where we should be on this issue just yet as is the case with racism and religious tolerance.

Adam_PoE
I'm asking for a trend, you're giving me one person who isn't representative of Christianity as a whole, and not explaining how that's tied to Christianity.

That would be like me citing a misogynistic atheist and saying that proves atheists are misogynistic.

It would not be like that at all, because the atheist is not citing his atheism as the reason for his misogynistic beliefs, whereas Mike Pence is citing his Christianity as the reason he cannot be alone in a room with a woman who is not his wife. I cannot make sense of the nonsensical, hence, why I told you to read his explanation yourself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.