Palpatine's Bending Lightsaber Feat - (POLL)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Vote in the poll!

DarthAnt66
Personally, I find the feat far less impressive than those where the user decides a lightsaber wouldn't even be useful against the lightning.

Ashing or killing someone instantly is also more impressive.

ares834
0/10 as it's contradicted by the film.

DarthAnt66
Vote 1/10 then.

NewGuy01
Where's 8-9/10?

DarthAnt66
Just do 7/10 if you think it's among the best but not the best.

NewGuy01
This scale is stoopid, you should have just went /5.

Deronn_solo
I mean it's solid, but not as impressive as someone likes to spin it, lmao.

The Merchant
I thought what the novel meant was that it was simply pushing Mace's saber back to his face like in the movie.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
That's honestly what I thought as well.

S_W_LeGenD
Interesting.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by ares834
0/10 as it's contradicted by the film. Its not.

https://i.imgflip.com/1ctycj.gif

I'd say it's pretty damn impressive considering 1. Sidious was holding back 2. Windu was amping his blade with Vaapad and 3. it's never been replicated. Going with 7 (8).

Azronger
10/10. Unreplicated in the mythos.

GM Yoda

Darth Thor

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Its not.

I'd say it's pretty damn impressive considering 1. Sidious was holding back 2. Windu was amping his blade with Vaapad and 3. it's never been replicated. Going with 7 (8).

He goes back with the initial shot, but then starts moving his Saber more and more towards Palpatine. That's not what happens in the novel.

Also I don't think it's stated Palpatine was holding back right from the start. He first tries to kill Windu and then later feigns weakness going by the commentary IIRC.

Nephthys

The Ellimist
It's one of the best feats ever, yeah.

The_Tempest

The feat is Legends.

Azronger
For those who don't think it's the best, what is, then?

quanchi112
Sheevites need to accept Windu's dominance over him.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by The_Tempest
The feat is Legends.

Huh? The movies are part of Legends, and the RotS novelization is also a part of Canon.

Regardless, I don't know why people are claiming that it's contradicted in the films. The specifics of whether Windu was being pushed back may be, but you can clearly see from the gif that the saber was bending.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by The Ellimist
but you can clearly see from the gif that the saber was bending.

Just noticed that. It's pretty weird. Still bending the the wrong direction Lol

quanchi112
laughing out loud

D. Thor's ignorance will always shine through.

The_Tempest
Huh? The movies are part of Legends, and the RotS novelization is also a part of Canon.

Regardless, I don't know why people are claiming that it's contradicted in the films. The specifics of whether Windu was being pushed back may be, but you can clearly see from the gif that the saber was bending.

No, Legends and canon are entirely separate. Leland Chee explained on Twitter a while back that he combined C and S canon into Legends. G and T are just canon.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Darth Thor
He goes back with the initial shot, but then starts moving his Saber more and more towards Palpatine. That's not what happens in the novel.

Also I don't think it's stated Palpatine was holding back right from the start. He first tries to kill Windu and then later feigns weakness going by the commentary IIRC. The point is he effected his lightsaber in both sources.

Deronn_solo
A weakened Valkorion downwind ships with the residual energy of his lightning is more impressive, as is Palpatine showings TFU, and utterly overwhelming Yoda's absorption.

The Ellimist
No, Legends and canon are entirely separate. Leland Chee explained on Twitter a while back that he combined C and S canon into Legends. G and T are just canon.

So the movies never happened in Legends? erm

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
A weakened Valkorion downwind ships with the residual energy of his lightning is more impressive, as is Palpatine showings TFU, and utterly overwhelming Yoda's absorption.

Valkorion's is not; he wasn't actually damaging the ships, he was just killing the pilots. Which showings in TFU are you referring to?

Deronn_solo
Proof he was just killing the pilots and not damaging the ships?

At the end of TFU, where his lightning damaged the Death Star.

The_Tempest
So the movies never happened in Legends? erm

Valkorion's is not; he wasn't actually damaging the ships, he was just killing the pilots. Which showings in TFU are you referring to?

Movie adaptations like the novelizations happened in Legends, yes.

The movies themselves? Nope. Because they're canon.

The Ellimist
^ holy shit.

The Ellimist
Proof he was just killing the pilots and not damaging the ships?

Do we see any evidence that he was damaging the ships?

Wasn't that Galen Marek?

UCanShootMyNova
Wasn't that Galen Marek?

Yep.

The_Tempest
^ holy shit.

wat

Beniboybling
Movie adaptations like the novelizations happened in Legends, yes.

The movies themselves? Nope. Because they're canon. Makes sense tbh.

The_Tempest
I'm not sure why people think the canon movies exist in Legends.

I think that was Neph's way of trying to disqualify feats he didn't like.

Azronger

How? All he did was overflow standard machines and kill non-Force sensitives, none of which were even even crisped. That's like, Malak-tier shit, lmao. So many beings have better lightning than that.

In what version of TFU did Palpatine do that?

What feats does Yoda have that make his Tutaminis impressive? He's completely unknown in that regard, so he gets scaling from Palpatine, not the other way around.

I don't think you fully understand the scope and magnitude of what bending a lightsaber means. Despite being the victim of constant mockery here on KMC, Darth Bane does actually have very potent Force lightning, to the point where he can ash humans. Despite this, Zannah was able to repel his lightning with her lightsaber no problem. The Starkiller clone and Darth Krayt have even more powerful lightning, yet the lightsaber withstood the energy no problem. Yet when Palpatine struck with lightning at Windu's blade, its energy absorbtion capabilities were compeletly and utterly overwhelmed to the point where the blade became distorted. There is not a single other being in the mythos who has accomplished this.

The Ellimist
thumb up Aside from acknowledging Bane

S_W_LeGenD
I wonder if you learn anything from a discussion?

Those were military-grade Starships, with high quality shielding and protective measures. Smugglers prefer military-grade stuff for transport.

The fact that a mere residual emission from Valkorion's FLS was potent enough to breach defenses of a military-grade starship mid-flight, should tell you something about the intensity of the FLS on the whole.

Force lightning cannot breach defenses of a military-grade starship easily. Lord Vindican attempted to breach defenses of the starship of a smuggler with Force lightning but it didn't work, and his Force lightning was intense enough to hurt Darth Malgus.

Now if a starship was to face the the full brunt of Valkorion's FLS, do you think it will remain intact? No.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Azronger
How? All he did was overflow standard machines and kill non-Force sensitives, none of which were even even crisped. That's like, Malak-tier shit, lmao. So many beings have better lightning than that.
roll eyes (sarcastic)

See my response above.

And show me examples of Force-users downing scores of military-grade starships mid-flight with mere residual emissions of their FLS like that, while targeting someone else.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD

The fact that a mere residual emission from Valkorion's FLS was potent enough to breach defenses of a military-grade starship mid-flight, should tell you something about the intensity of the FLS on the whole.

Where's your evidence that they were shielded, and if they weren't, how do we know their hulls were particularly insulated? It's not like they were expecting to be fired upon by lightning.

Vindican and the Malgus in the trailer are both weaker than Valkorion, yes.

It probably depends on the starship. But plenty of things that can breach the hulls of a smuggler's ship cannot phase a lightsaber blade.

S_W_LeGenD

your evidence that they were shielded, and if they weren't, how do we know their hulls were particularly insulated? It's not like they were expecting to be fired upon by lightning.
Smuggler and military starships are never defenseless. Shielding is standard for them.

and the Malgus in the trailer are both weaker than Valkorion, yes.
Being weaker than Valkorion is not a sign of lack of power.

probably depends on the starship. But plenty of things that can breach the hulls of a smuggler's ship cannot phase a lightsaber blade.
Depends

The Ellimist
Smuggler and military starships are never defenseless. Shielding is standard for them.

We see unshielded starships all the time, particularly in-atmosphere. Take the Falcon, for instance, which was fired on in ESB and didn't seem to have any shielding.

So? The burden was on you to demonstrate that Vindican and Malgus were comparable to Sidious; if they aren't, then their difficulty in replicating Valkorion's feat is irrelevant.

I don't understand what this reply is supposed to mean.

UCanShootMyNova
What feats does Yoda have that make his Tutaminis impressive?

What...

UCanShootMyNova
Where's your evidence that they were shielded

Let's not stoop to their level Ell. The ships were in a pitched battle so it's logical that their shields were active.

Beniboybling
]I don't think you fully understand the scope and magnitude of what bending a lightsaber means. Despite being the victim of constant mockery here on KMC, Darth Bane does actually have very potent Force lightning, to the point where he can ash humans. Despite this, Zannah was able to repel his lightning with her lightsaber no problem. The Starkiller clone and Darth Krayt have even more powerful lightning, yet the lightsaber withstood the energy no problem. Yet when Palpatine struck with lightning at Windu's blade, its energy absorbtion capabilities were compeletly and utterly overwhelmed to the point where the blade became distorted. There is not a single other being in the mythos who has accomplished this. Windu was also enhancing the absorption capabilities of his weapon with Vaapad, and to a greater extent that he ever had before. But indeed it is described as "beyond Vaapad" as well. thumb up

KuRuPT Thanosi
Windu was also enhancing the absorption capabilities of his weapon with Vaapad, and to a greater extent that he ever had before. But indeed it is described as "beyond Vaapad" as well. thumb up

I'm curious, how exactly does one amp their blade with Vaapad? If I wanted to be difficult, I'd ask where in canon (not legends) does it even mention Vaapad and its capabilities?

The Ellimist
I think the poll backfired.

KuRuPT Thanosi
We can CLEARLY see his blade was NOT bending towards him in the movie. This is without question.

GM Yoda
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
We can CLEARLY see his blade was NOT bending towards him in the movie. This is without question.

The Ellimist
Tempest seems to have discovered that the movies aren't in legends; even if they were, the only question would be in which direction the saber was bending, not that it was - and just the fact that it was is probably the best lightning feat we've ever seen.

The_Tempest
Given the context, the OP is clearly referring to Legends.

Seriously, why would anyone have ever thought that the movies are Legends? lol

Nephthys
"Vote in the poll!" refers to legends? Must be some boring-ass legend.

Legends can still be contradicted by canon. Its two versions of the same event, and one clearly supercedes the other.

Beniboybling
We can CLEARLY see his blade was NOT bending towards him in the movie. This is without question. Originally posted by Beniboybling

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Nephthys

Legends can still be contradicted by canon. Its two versions of the same event, and one clearly supercedes the other.

Not if they're two separate universes.

The_Tempest
"Vote in the poll!" refers to legends? Must be some boring-ass legend.

Citation needed.

They're two separate universes now, not one. 👍

UCanShootMyNova
Mace can't seem to keep his saber steady. wink

Beniboybling
That's what she said hurr durr.

Nephthys
Not if they're two separate universes.

Weren't the movie novels said to be canon tho.

Petrus
It's absolutely clear that the lightsaber was indeed being bent by Palpatine's lightning. However, that same lightning struck Windu and he did not turn to ashes nor anything similar. If we assume lightsaber bending is one of the greatest lightning feats in the mythos, this also speaks a ton about Windu's Force defenses.

Maybe we've not seen this replicated, but it's honestly not the best feat by a mile. It's impressive, just not extremely impressive. I think turning someone instantly into a charred husk or into ashes is far more impressive than this.

The_Tempest
Ashes and charred husks... much like Neph's hopes for disavowing feats he doesn't like smile

Nephthys
Originally posted by Petrus
It's absolutely clear that the lightsaber was indeed being bent by Palpatine's lightning.

It isn't, Windu's hands were just shaking.

Maybe we've not seen this replicated, but it's honestly not the best feat by a mile. It's impressive, just not extremely impressive. I think turning someone instantly into a charred husk or into ashes is far more impressive than this.

thumb up regardless tho.

The Ellimist
It's absolutely clear that the lightsaber was indeed being bent by Palpatine's lightning. However, that same lightning struck Windu and he did not turn to ashes nor anything similar. If we assume lightsaber bending is one of the greatest lightning feats in the mythos, this also speaks a ton about Windu's Force defenses.

Mace Windu is a Jedi; even when he was being electrocuted, his durability would still be incredibly high - likely far higher than Nyriss's. And it isn't clear if Palpatine was trying to ash Windu, rather than to torture him for a little.

You think the energy needed to vaporize a human is enough to bend a lightsaber blade? I highly doubt it.

Beniboybling
I think turning someone instantly into a charred husk or into ashes is far more impressive than this. That would entirely depend on the person being destroyed.

Nephthys
I'm pretty sure Nyriss is the strongest person to be turned to ash.

Darth Thor
Weren't the movie novels said to be canon tho.

Not by Lucasfilm. And even Del Rey's statement on it was a bit iffy "only where the novels perfectly align with the films" or some nonesense.

Point being I doubt the story group are working hard to make sure Canon does not contradict the movie novels.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Not by Lucasfilm. And even Del Rey's statement on it was a bit iffy "only where the novels perfectly align with the films" or some nonesense.

Point being I doubt the story group are working hard to make sure Canon does not contradict the movie novels.

That isn't iffy, its exactly what I've been saying. The novels are only valid if the movie doesn't contradict them. And in this case it does.

Not my problem.

Beniboybling
I'm pretty sure Nyriss is the strongest person to be turned to ash. The fact she was able to obliterate herself only proves she wasn't nearly at full strength.Originally posted by Nephthys
It isn't, Windu's hands were just shaking. If that were the case it wouldn't be spasming more at the top than the bottom.

The Ellimist
That isn't iffy, its exactly what I've been saying. The novels are only valid if the movie doesn't contradict them. And in this case it does.

Not my problem.

I'm pretty sure the novels were considered C-canon in the old EU, which means they're a part of both Canon and Legends. thumb up

Darth Thor

Not my problem.

They're only valid where they align with the movies. That's different to being Canon except where they contradict the movies.

Also said statement wasn't made by Lucasfilm or the Story Group. So not sure the statement is worth anything.

Beniboybling
The novels are only valid if the movie doesn't contradict them.In Canon. confused

Nephthys
The fact she was able to obliterate herself only proves she wasn't nearly at full strength.

She obliterated herself because she charged up a huge attack that far surpassed her standard force defenses. Regardless she is still the only truly notable case of someone being incinerated through force defenses that I know of.

If that were the case it wouldn't be spasming more at the top than the bottom.

The hilt doesn't move around as much as the top because thats just how objects work which is just single IQ obvious.

Beniboybling
Which would have expended a great deal of energy yeah. Otherwise it begs the question how she was able to unleash that energy without it killing/injuring her in the first place.Originally posted by Nephthys
The hilt doesn't move around as much as the top because thats not how objects work which is just single IQ obvious. ...

https://i.sli.mg/zNlTTv.png

Petrus
It isn't, Windu's hands were just shaking.

If you watch attentively, at the very end of the gif, you can see the saber bend to the right. I guess it's subjective, but to me there's no doubt.

Well, yeah. That same lightning that bent the lightsaber struck Windu and it did not turn him into ashes or something similar. In fact, it struck him by a good amount of time and he stood there, right until the very end when he was pushed off. So there's two conclusions:
1. If this saber-bending feat is as impressive as other ppl say, Windu has ridiculous Force defenses.
2. It's simply not as impressive as some ppl say.

The_Tempest

Not my problem.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/a8b10aaf6522d2a5c03aac50373a3ef9/tumblr_mmjt1k0fFx1sp9fcho1_250.gif

In Canon. confused

http://img.pandawhale.com/82954-thank-you-gif-Phil-Dunphy-thum-UQ0F.gif

Petrus
Mace Windu is a Jedi; even when he was being electrocuted, his durability would still be incredibly high - likely far higher than Nyriss's. And it isn't clear if Palpatine was trying to ash Windu, rather than to torture him for a little.

You think the energy needed to vaporize a human is enough to bend a lightsaber blade? I highly doubt it.

It still doesn't make up for it. It simply cannot be the most impressive lightning feat of all/one of if we see it hit Windu and he didn't die immediately. Even if he was stronger than Nyriss, it's still not equivalent. Palpatine was trying to kill Windu. He actually shouted "Full power" when striking him.

Beniboybling
Well, yeah. That same lightning that bent the lightsaber struck Windu and it did not turn him into ashes or something similar.Much in the same manner Valkorion's lighting ashed Marr. Ah no, that's not right.

The_Tempest
Much in the same manner Valkorion's lighting ashed Marr. Ah no, that's not right.

You ashed his argument there tbh.

Petrus
Much in the same manner Valkorion's lighting ashed Marr. Ah no, that's not right.

If you guys are ranking this feat as the most impressive of all time, at least it had to do better than that against an armless, in pain Windu, tbh.

Petrus
You ashed his argument there tbh.

Yeah no, he didn't. Valkorion has what to do with this, exactly? I never said Valkorion's lightning is as impressive as Sidious'.

EDIT - nice pun, btw. thumb up

Nephthys
If you watch attentively, at the very end of the gif, you can see the saber bend to the right. I guess it's subjective, but to me there's no doubt.

I've watched it many times at 25% speed full screen. You can clearly see the hilt jiggling around in his hand. Recall also that the way they create the lightsaber effect is to use a thin plastic rod then put the glow in afterwards. If the rod was moving around in the manner you see they'd have to move the effect with it and its possible for them to be sloppy in doing it. It really isn't a solid "feat" either way.

The_Tempest
Yeah no, he didn't. Valkorion has what to do with this, exactly? I never said Valkorion's lightning is as impressive as Sidious'.

EDIT - nice pun, btw. thumb up

I just wanted to use that pun.

Beniboybling

EDIT - nice pun, btw. thumb up You raised the argument that Sidious' lightning is/was inferior to Nyriss because it didn't ash Windu. To which I countered that by that logic Nyriss lightning also > Valkorion's. Despite him being "infinitely greater than her" 300 years before his prime.

I am currently awaiting your response.

Petrus
I've watched it many times at 25% speed full screen. You can clearly see the hilt jiggling around in his hand. Recall also that the way they create the lightsaber effect is to use a thin plastic rod then put the glow in afterwards. If the rod was moving around in the manner you see they'd have to move the effect with it and its possible for them to be sloppy in doing it. It really isn't a solid "feat" either way.

I could be convinced that it was simply an unintended side-effect, tbh.

KuRuPT Thanosi

Did you intentional post a video disproving your claim? In the novel the blade was bending so close to him that he could smell it. Here, the blade in no way shape or form starts arcing towards him. Thus the excerpt of the novel is invalid. Further, the "weird" "bending" we kind of see (not really) is going away from him not towards him. In the movie, he fights this off and starts pushing his blade back towards Palps... not it was coming at him and he was doing everything in his power to hold it off. It was the opposite. Mace was fighting through it and pushing it closer to palps, and then we see the disfiguring of him. So no, that never happened, and thus the feat was not impressive.

Nephthys
It clearly wasn't intended to be showing Palpatines lightning pushing Windu's blade back since it doesn't, its moving towards him if anything. So if it was intended, whats the intention? It's obviously not that, so it must just be sloppy effects.

Beniboybling
The point is he effected his lightsaber in both sources.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Agree with Neph

Petrus
You raised the argument that Sidious' lightning is/was inferior to Nyriss because it didn't ash Windu. To which I countered that by that logic Nyriss lightning also > Valkorion's. Despite him being "infinitely greater than her" 300 years before his prime.

I am currently awaiting your response.

That wasn't my argument. Nyriss was in a dark side nexus, and she's clearly an inferior opponent than Windu. I know this.

All I'm saying is, for it to be the greatest lightning feat ever, it should at least do more instant damage to Windu, especially if someone like Nyriss managed to turn herself into ash, and we all know she's inferior to Sidious. I doubt Nyriss's Force defenses are so, so far below Windu's that it becomes equivalent.

Nephthys
That isn't the point, no.

Beniboybling
That wasn't my argument. Nyriss was in a dark side nexus, and she's clearly an inferior opponent than Windu. I know this.

All I'm saying is, for it to be the greatest lightning feat ever, it should at least do more instant damage to Windu, especially if someone like Nyriss managed to turn herself into ash, and we all know she's inferior to Sidious. I doubt Nyriss's Force defenses are so, so far below Windu's that it becomes equivalent. And my point is that by your logic, Valkorion should have ashed Marr.

Petrus
And my point is that by your logic, Valkorion should have ashed Marr.

Well yeah, maybe he should've. So, it's inconsistent. But Valkorion wasn't performing the best lightning feat ever while attempting to kill Marr.

Azronger
roll eyes (sarcastic)

See my response above.

And show me examples of Force-users downing scores of military-grade starships mid-flight with mere residual emissions of their FLS like that, while targeting someone else.

So what if Vindican managed to hurt Malgus? Mighella managed to hurt Darth Maul, another being of extreme pain tolerance. That doesn't mean either of them are powerful. Force lightning is going to hurt regardless of its strength.

So the only thing I got from your post is that Valkorion's FLS is more potent than that of "a notable Sith Inquisitor", and "one of the better Nightsisters". As I said, some Malak-tier shit, lmao.

Azronger

I don't think you fully understand the scope and magnitude of what bending a lightsaber means. Despite being the victim of constant mockery here on KMC, Darth Bane does actually have very potent Force lightning, to the point where he can ash humans. Despite this, Zannah was able to repel his lightning with her lightsaber no problem. The Starkiller clone and Darth Krayt have even more powerful lightning, yet the lightsaber withstood the energy no problem. Yet when Palpatine struck with lightning at Windu's blade, its energy absorbtion capabilities were compeletly and utterly overwhelmed to the point where the blade became distorted. There is not a single other being in the mythos who has accomplished this.

Beniboybling
Well yeah, maybe he should've. So, it's inconsistent. But Valkorion wasn't performing the best lightning feat ever while attempting to kill Marr. And its the fact its inconsistent is what matters here, as it begs the question whether Nyriss was ashed under legitimate circumstances, or if Drew is just a hack who writes shit that doesn't make sense.

It's poor evidence, in a word. But I'll address your point that an armless Windu fared better than one might expect regardless. My understanding of that scene tbh is that Sidious simply wasn't going all out, and there was really nothing stopping him blowing Windu out of the window straight up and getting it over with. Yes he's screaming 'UNLIMITED POWAH' because that's what he has at his fingertips, but that doesn't preclude him drawing out the suffering of his victim as he is known to do.

Should be noted in the novel however, that Windu dies instantly.

Beniboybling
And Neph, I'm pretty sure that the PT movies employed rigid wooden sticks, not bendy plastics ones.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Still waiting on the clip from ROTS that shows the blade ARCING BACK towards Mace as the novel explicitly describes, along with flowery adjectives on what it's like to have a blade arcing towards your face. Either provide a video showing this, or the language in the novel concerning this is invalid.

NewGuy01
Well yeah, maybe he should've.

Nah, Nyriss shouldn't have.

Beniboybling
Still waiting on the clip from ROTS that shows the blade ARCING BACK towards Mace as the novel explicitly describes, along with flowery adjectives on what it's like to have a blade arcing towards your face. Either provide a video showing this, or the language in the novel concerning this is invalid. In Legends the lightsaber is bent back into his face.

In Canon the lightsaber warps and spasms erratically.

Neither one invalidates the other, as has already been discussed.

Petrus
And its the fact its inconsistent is what matters here, as it begs the question whether Nyriss was ashed under legitimate circumstances, or if Drew is just a hack who writes shit that doesn't make sense.

It's pretty clear that Drew is shit, but we can't simply dismiss what we read in his books because of this.

Do you think that for some reason, Sidious decreased his lightning's power when electrocuting Windu in comparison to when his lightning seemingly bent the saber and was being deflected back to him? Genuine question.

The showings are significantly different, so much so that I don't think it's possible to relate the two.

Beniboybling
It's pretty clear that Drew is shit, but we can't simply dismiss what we read in his books because of this.In which case we'd conclude that ashing people really shouldn't be beyond the likes of Sidious, or Valkorion, but will not always be portrayed that way depending on the source.

Well it does kinda pale in comparison to him later KO'ing Yoda with the "full power of the dark side." I feel like he was giving him the Luke treatment.

The novel is more consistent with the feat yeah.

quanchi112
Still waiting on Kt to prove he has a functioning brain.

The Ellimist
It still doesn't make up for it. It simply cannot be the most impressive lightning feat of all/one of if we see it hit Windu and he didn't die immediately. Even if he was stronger than Nyriss, it's still not equivalent. Palpatine was trying to kill Windu. He actually shouted "Full power" when striking him.

He said unlimited power, which doesn't mean he was shooting for a quick kill. He...never does that.

We have a much greater certainty that it's really hard to bend a lightsaber blade than we do of your claim that Sidious wanted to kill Windu quickly, so we should defer the latter to the former.

The Merchant
I'm pretty sure that GIF is just an FX error lol.

S_W_LeGenD
We see unshielded starships all the time, particularly in-atmosphere. Take the Falcon, for instance, which was fired on in ESB and didn't seem to have any shielding.
Shielding is standard in TOR for starships. A galactic war is likely to fuel demand of shielding.

The Asylum Port was a smuggler's den, and became a battlefield when the Eternal armies arrived there in search of the Outlander and his allies. I would expect all starships in that region to be on red alert and their shields activated at that time. Smugglers never take their safety lightly.

So? The burden was on you to demonstrate that Vindican and Malgus were comparable to Sidious; if they aren't, then their difficulty in replicating Valkorion's feat is irrelevant.
I am not comparing them to Palpatine. You misunderstood my point.

Lord Vindican and Darth Malgus fought Satele Shan and Kao Cen Darach in a spaceport where a smuggler's starship was present. Its pilot was inside. When Satele Shan entered that starship, Lord Vindican attempted to electrocute the Starship with a stream of Force lightning, but it didn't work. Granted that he was interrupted but he didn't attempt that again. So why it failed? It was logical for the pilot to activate the defenses of his starship during the course of the battle (note: we do not see this act on-screen).

An official description of the aforementioned fight makes it clear that Lord Vindican unleashed a powerful stream of Force Lightning at the starship; potent enough to hurt even the likes of Darth Malgus for a while. So even a powerful stream of Force Lightning from a Sith Inquisitor was not enough to breach defenses of a smuggler's starship? In comparison, mere residual emissions from the FLS of Valkorion engulfed and downed scores of smuggler starships mid-flight in the vicinity. The difference is profound.

BioWare is not going to focus on every development out there in a game or even in a video. Some matters are inferred and/or implied.

I don't understand what this reply is supposed to mean.
Depends on the forms of energy involved.

S_W_LeGenD
You expect BioWare to animate gory outcomes in their Star Wars related content? Nah (SWTOR and its expansions are not horror genre)

A conversation with Darth Marr later (chapter 12), reveals that Valkorion literally destroyed his body in that attack. Therefore, this aspect of the outcome was censored in chapter 1.

Your point is moot, as usual. thumb up

DarthAnt66
Good point. ^

Azronger
Originally posted by The Merchant

You'd have to get the RotS special effects team to confirm that. Windu's lightsaber bending has an entire novel personally line-edited by Lucas to support it.

The_Tempest
Precisely. Canon Palpatine and Legends Palpatine are worlds apart. Whether Mace's lightsaber was being bent in canon is irrelevant at this point; in Legends, it was.

Nephthys
Not really. Bending someones blade back towards them is a fairly common phrase for it simply being forced back. It shows up in literature all the time. It doesn't have to be literal.

You're also trying to pick and choose which parts of the novel are canon and which are legends. It's either 1 or the other.

SunRazer
It's obviously literal, lol. Mace was choking on ozone.

The_Tempest
Not really. Bending someones blade back towards them is a fairly common phrase for it simply being forced back. It shows up in literature all the time. It doesn't have to be literal.

You're also trying to pick and choose which parts of the novel are canon and which are legends. It's either 1 or the other.

Watching your credibility nosedive has been painful to watch as your friend, Neph.

Nephthys
We aren't friends, you piece of shit.

Originally posted by SunRazer
It's obviously literal, lol. Mace was choking on ozone.

It was being pushed back towards his face.

Darth Thor

Ouch

Darth Thor
Originally posted by The Merchant

Looks like it. If it was intentional, I would have thought it would have been more blatant and noticeable when watching the film.

The_Tempest

It was being pushed back towards his face.

I'm sure the universal contempt that has been heaped upon you by everyone here can be stressful, but there's no need to be mean to me.

Nephthys
It's only natural to correct someone when they're wrong, even if they're scum.

Beniboybling
You expect BioWare to animate gory outcomes in their Star Wars related content? Nah (SWTOR and its expansions are not horror genre)

A conversation with Darth Marr later (chapter 12), reveals that Valkorion literally destroyed his body in that attack. Therefore, this aspect of the outcome was censored in chapter 1.

Your point is moot, as usual. thumb up Fraid not dear, rather as usual you shoot yourself in the foot by making my point but in a less nuanced way. Well done.

That said I'll highlight the instance in which Vitiate dusted countless on Ziost nonetheless, if only to continue to watch you flail. smile

The_Tempest
It's only natural to correct someone when they're wrong, even if they're scum.

Yes, that certainly explains the aforementioned contempt that surrounds you.

But it doesn't explain why you're being hateful to me.

Ursumeles
It isn't the best.
The ones say Hi smile

Beniboybling
The Son's lightning couldn't even kill Kenobi.
Say bye fugg. smile

Ursumeles
That was an weakened Son, tho smile
Anyway, better than Valkorion at least smile

Beniboybling
True. smile

Azronger
The amiunt of 7/10 voters seems to have been increased, despite us debunking every other feat they proposed.

I repeat the question I asked before: What is more impressive than this?

Ursumeles
Just the feats of the Ones, and Sidious overpowering Yodas defense, imo.

Deronn_solo
Valkorion's feat was hardly debunked, kek. LeG defended the point quite well, honestly.

Beniboybling
LeG defended the point quite well, honestly. gross

Regarding Leg's feat though. I don't think any accurate comparison can really be drawn between the effects of Force lightning on lightsaber/other Force-related defenses and inanimate objects like starships.

Only it should be pointed out that despite the supposed awesomeness of this feat it still failed to overwhelm Arcann.

DarthAnt66
it still failed to overwhelm Arcann.
And the same can't be said for Windu's ****ing lightsaber? Difference being, Arcann was actually overwhelmed.

Azronger
Originally posted by Ursumeles
Just the feats of the Ones, and Sidious overpowering Yodas defense, imo.

I thought it pretty obvious the Ones weren't being considered here.

What feats does Yoda have in Tutaminis that make overwhelming it impressive? He gets scaling from Sidious, not the other way around.

DarthAnt66
What feats does Yoda have in Tutaminis that make overwhelming it impressive?
lmfao

Azronger
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
lmfao

Well?

Petrus
He said unlimited power, which doesn't mean he was shooting for a quick kill. He...never does that.

We have a much greater certainty that it's really hard to bend a lightsaber blade than we do of your claim that Sidious wanted to kill Windu quickly, so we should defer the latter to the former.

Is there no possibility for this being an FX error? Now that I think about it, I doubt it was Lucas's intention to bend it tbh.

Well, I question that the power in Palpatine's lightning changed from when he was bending the lightsaber to when he lit Mace up. Or do you believe that when his lightning was being absorbed by the saber he also wasn't trying to kill Windu?

Petrus
In which case we'd conclude that ashing people really shouldn't be beyond the likes of Sidious, or Valkorion, but will not always be portrayed that way depending on the source.

Fair enough. Still frustratingly inconsistent, tho.

In accordance to the action being logical, I guess that's the only thing that makes sense if you assume Sheev's lightsaber bending feat is one of the most impressive. I just question that the power he was implementing in his lightning varied a lot between him attacking Windu and him bending the saber.

cs_zoltan
Is there no possibility for this being an FX error? Now that I think about it, I doubt it was Lucas's intention to bend it tbh.

Considering that the novel also has the blade bending, no it's not a f-ucking FX error roll eyes (sarcastic)

Petrus
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Considering that the novel also has the blade bending, no it's not a f-ucking FX error roll eyes (sarcastic)

Which was first? Novel or movie?

Nephthys
The novel was based off of an old script and the script doesn't have blade bending in it. The book came out first and wasn't really based on the finished movie at all.

thumb up

Anyway he was blown off the platform by telekinetic force, not really the same, whereas Windu's defense was being overloaded yeah.

Uh, no the lightning blew him off.

What feats does Yoda have in Tutaminis that make overwhelming it impressive? He gets scaling from Sidious, not the other way around.

This is a valid point tbh. Yoda's other use of tutaminis was against Dooku, which isn't a relevant feat when discussing the GOAT lightning feats.

Beniboybling
Uh, no the lightning blew him off.Lighting combined with TK is a thing darling, but the lack of a smoking Arcann leads me to believe his defenses were not penetrated.

The Ellimist
Note: lightsabers can't bend lightsabers

Deronn_solo
Yet, they did.

S_W_LeGenD
Fraid not dear, rather as usual you shoot yourself in the foot by making my point but in a less nuanced way. Well done.

That said I'll highlight the instance in which Vitiate dusted countless on Ziost nonetheless, if only to continue to watch you flail. smile
That was CGI based animation. wink

Beniboybling
Lol, and the other was stop animation?

S_W_LeGenD
Lol, and the other was stop animation?
No, you feeb.

The other was game-engine based animation (normal cutscene). SWTOR game engine is not really good at animating complex destructive action sequences. It shifts to CGI for that purpose or the scene is entirely skipped. Anybody who has played SWTOR, knows this. :/

For example, Barsen'thor destroys a massive door at some point in his story arc. However, the complex destruction sequence is entirely skipped and we only witness the outcome.

BioWare is improving the graphics though. We witness Vaylin destroying a massive blast door. But still not up there.

Beniboybling
I wonder how hard it would be to make someone disappear. confused

Nephthys
It's cringey watching this play out when the obvious explanation is that Valkorion just didn't exert himself too much.

Beniboybling
I'm willing to accept that Valkorion's base lightning is sub-Nyriss level. smile

Nephthys
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well anyway, Marr was wearing full battlearmor and his full powered defenses would be up. With Valkorion not going all out the feat makes sense. Not that consistency has ever been a thing in SW at all.

S_W_LeGenD
We have confirmation from Darth Marr himself that Valkorion destroyed his body in that attack. Now, BioWare developers forgot to follow the script or reverse, is another discussion.

Beniboybling
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well anyway, Marr was wearing full battlearmor and his full powered defenses would be up. With Valkorion not going all out the feat makes sense. Not that consistency has ever been a thing in SW at all. Nyriss raised an actual barrier to defend herself tho...

But yeah, these kinds of shitty performances from Valk are becoming par for course. smile

S_W_LeGenD
Nyriss raised an actual barrier to defend herself tho...

But yeah, these kinds of shitty performances from Valk are becoming par for course. smile
How is one-shotting one of the most powerful and accomplished members of the Dark Council with a single blast of Force Lightning shitty performance?

I get the jokes but you are bordering Idiocracy now.

Beniboybling
Idiocracy laughing out loud

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>